The Daily for Monday Apr 26, 2021

richwmn

32 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

TACOMA!!! Wow, you were right there, practically on top of it!

I was teaching in Tacoma, but we lived on Anderson Island at the time, right beside the epicenter. Our commute home that day was complicated by a bridge near Chambers Creek being closed on our normal route. That bridge remained closed for over a year. We weren't sure what kind of damage we would find in our house. We were pleasantly surprised to only find one picture had fallen off the wall and my Old Spice deodorant had fallen off of the bathroom counter. No cracks in walls or foundation or any other visible damage.

Edited by HAL4NOW
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HAL4NOW said:

Did you miss the Nisqually Earthquake of 6.8 back in February of 2001? It lasted almost a minute and produced about 6 times the strength of a 6 magnitude earthquake. A 6.8 on the Richter scale releases about 15-16 times the energy of a 6 magnitude.

That was the one I hardly felt in Lake Stevens!  DH was working in Seattle and really felt it as did our daughter -- I was vacuuming, and remember thinking there was something wrong with the vacuum LOL!  Then I saw the chandelier swinging -- so yes I guess I felt it, but hardly at all!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Here in California, we take the Richter scale seriously.  The worst earthquake I experienced was the San Fernando earthquake in 1971.  It was a 6.5.  I looked out my bedroom window and the hills were rolling.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  Quite scary.   😱

Rolling is exactly what it felt like in Las Vegas! I happened to be sitting on a low stool and it was the oddest feeling. Missouri earthquakes are very different (besides being less on the Richter scale).  They feel more like a really heavy truck is going by, sort of a vibration and shaking up and down. That’s why sometimes we’re not sure we had one until we see it reported.

St Louis Sal

• Like 13

Good day and thanks all!  Enjoying the sea trials of the New Rotterdam!  
@dfish Happy Birthday Debbie!

@ger_77 what a celebration! 
We’ve  experienced a few smaller earthquakes, Anchorage, Hawaii, and Greece where I blamed DH for kicking my chair, lol!  I get very nervous when we hike the San Andreas fault near Palm Desert

image.thumb.jpeg.461e744acbba06b35f304122e3d51865.jpeg

I love pretzels!   Enjoying the photos of New Zealand,  soon we hope...

@kazuthe black pearls have sprouted! 

3D46A835-396F-4578-91C9-CF2191542417.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 15

19 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good day and thanks all!  Enjoying the sea trials of the New Rotterdam!  
@dfish Happy Birthday Debbie!

@ger_77 what a celebration! 
We’ve  experienced a few smaller earthquakes, Anchorage, Hawaii, and Greece where I blamed DH for kicking my chair, lol!  I get very nervous when we hike the San Andreas fault near Palm Desert

I love pretzels!   Enjoying the photos of New Zealand,  soon we hope...

@kazuthe black pearls have sprouted! 

3D46A835-396F-4578-91C9-CF2191542417.jpeg

YAY 🙂 

You got Black Pearl too?  Awesome.  Mine are doing well so far.  

They are on the windowsill.

54CA2B2F-B41B-46B1-AACA-084F4797B0F6.thumb.jpeg.fdd554eed8cd602f463a35de61d9db89.jpeg

Up close, you can see the leaves already turning black as they are supposed to so they don’t all show up against the earth.   I hope they can hang on in these containers until they get moved out doors.

7AF442A5-CC5C-4F51-BE6E-348B0EFC7469.thumb.jpeg.1644051770186f955aab1af16c8214fa.jpeg

Seems you got more seeds than I did but all of mine sprouted.  I’m going to have to check that company out next year, for sure.  Thanks for alerting me to them.  I’m embarrassed to say I’m from NB and didn’t know of them.  😳 😞 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, kazu said:

YAY 🙂 

You got Black Pearl too?  Awesome.  Mine are doing well so far.  

They are on the windowsill.

54CA2B2F-B41B-46B1-AACA-084F4797B0F6.thumb.jpeg.fdd554eed8cd602f463a35de61d9db89.jpeg

Up close, you can see the leaves already turning black as they are supposed to so they don’t all show up against the earth.   I hope they can hang on in these containers until they get moved out doors.

7AF442A5-CC5C-4F51-BE6E-348B0EFC7469.thumb.jpeg.1644051770186f955aab1af16c8214fa.jpeg

Seems you got more seeds than I did but all of mine sprouted.  I’m going to have to check that company out next year, for sure.  Thanks for alerting me to them.  I’m embarrassed to say I’m from NB and didn’t know of them.  😳 😞 

Can you say plant envy?   Yours are so healthy.  We also tried purple jalapeños but only one sprouted!  Now if only we can get them to maturity....

• Like 8

Great set of days.  I would enjoy hugging our Australian friends. Maybe someday again.

Enjoying reading about the Rotterdam being on the move.  That is great news.

Had a great meal with the family last night.  

Slowing getting a few things done here.  A bit drizzly but will get out when there is a break in the weather.

Stay well and safe everyone.

Have an awesome day.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Here in California, we take the Richter scale seriously.  The worst earthquake I experienced was the San Fernando earthquake in 1971.  It was a 6.5.  I looked out my bedroom window and the hills were rolling.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  Quite scary.   

I went to college in Newhall, CA, but didn't start there until 1973. The Sylmar earthquake of 1971 shook the campus pretty violently. Quite a few of the students that went through that earthquake were still at the college when I attended, and the stories were quite interesting. One that especially got my attention was a story from a student athlete that was a shot put thrower on the track and field team. He was startled awake by the earthquake and sat up on his bed as the 16 pound shot put fell off a shelf above the bed onto the pillow he had been laying on.

• Like 11

Good Afternoon All, thanks for the daily report.  I enjoy a good soft pretzel.  When I worked in Leola a customer would bring me leftover soft pretzels from their stand at the farmers market.  They were Auntie Anne’s and I’ve been a fan ever since.  
We made it home today with a slight bump along the way.  DH hit a huge pot hole causing a flat tire.  The spare got put on and now the car is in the shop waiting to be inspected and see what needs to be done to repair.  Did a load of laundry and the rinse water overflowed, ugh.  That will be looked at once things dry out a bit.  I think dinner will be takeout.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Can you say plant envy?   Yours are so healthy.  We also tried purple jalapeños but only one sprouted!  Now if only we can get them to maturity....

LOL - don’t be envious yet.  They can’t go out for a few more weeks so we’ll see.  

You’ll get them well enough off that when they go out they will mature well, I’m sure.  Once they get their “real” leaves you’re off to the races.

My only pepper tip - put them in a tiny pot first and then once they need it move it to the larger pot.  Not sure why but it seems to work for me (plus I need space for sun 😉 ) 

Good luck.  Exciting that we both have the same variety.  I have never had these before and I see them being my background plant in planters (as if I didn’t have enough). And then DH gets the fruit later.  They are really pretty - like an ornamental pepper but with edible fruit.

• Like 8

My vegetable garden is in pots this year.  I do have a few onions and herbs and rhubarb outside the courtyard as I figured the deer wouldn't get into them.   Things are coming along slowly, but we have been eating the lettuce.

No peppers....

IMG_5692.thumb.JPG.6955dcb166e5f0af4487911996235184.JPG

• Like 10

Just now, Vict0riann said:

My vegetable garden is in pots this year.  I do have a few onions and herbs and rhubarb outside the courtyard as I figured the deer wouldn't get into them.   Things are coming along slowly, but we have been eating the lettuce.

No peppers....

IMG_5692.thumb.JPG.6955dcb166e5f0af4487911996235184.JPG

Lovely Ann, way too early to put our plants out.

So jealous of your weather there.  I still remember all the flowers and especially the rhodo’s in bloom when we were in Victoria in April 🙂 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I can relate to the iPad trying to change the typing.  My android phone is even worse.  Even when I'm certain I finally have the device(s) in agreement with me, they seen to change things when I hit submit or send.  Isn't technology wonderful?🤣

I finally won the ‘Picton’ battle, but the iPad retaliated by erasing my birthday greeting to   @dfish. Smart technology is getting a bit to smart for it’s britches here.😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

There are just a few Rhodo's blooming this early.  I forgot to post some pictures from Butchart's when we went there on Friday - they have some interesting colour combinations this year.

The standard photo of the Sunken Garden

IMG_5662.thumb.JPG.0174dcd9bb1f500bc629d5583c3b5a8d.JPG

And a few tulips

IMG_5660.thumb.JPG.458fba206a49752da3d5b13aebbed8ad.JPG

IMG_5666.thumb.JPG.3d495de4f3ebaa4ba8500e51fd08d68c.JPG

IMG_5685.thumb.JPG.c0bb0dca3471e305e9ffdb04a6e95154.JPG

IMG_5679.thumb.JPG.d4783bb80b743d76957b3f7af9a8949d.JPG

IMG_5675.thumb.JPG.cda577bc34aff63d4969c95cf6ea4308.JPG

IMG_5665.thumb.JPG.223ff3eb85f80d6e10fc81175b50572b.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

I am so familiar with this sign! In normal times my DS and BIL spend the winter in Palm Springs. Whenever we visit them, we end up hiking here. Yes, tromping along the San Andreas fault is just a little concerning.😁

• Like 13

Good afternoon everyone!!!  And HELLO from Las Vegas!!  We are at The Bellagio right now having a drink before a late lunch:

B702B83B-162E-463A-9B55-8D9DB7FEA701.thumb.jpeg.345e0f7571a7a1436adbea48632e0b3e.jpeg

We went to The Conservatory and I had to show everyone some pictures of the gorgeous flowers:

44D7337E-ABDF-4FEC-B11B-27C55497D598.thumb.jpeg.86b0f034c1c506d9fc335faa3c311613.jpeg

And the windmill:

DE0A14A5-379C-4192-80F6-5D2083041A5B.thumb.jpeg.203fe5f6abbff5fa8018bed99de4cf11.jpeg

I don’t have time to read all today’s posts but will catch up soon!!

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 18

🤪Living in Santa Clara County, we sure remember the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake! It was a magnitude of 6.9 and the world was watching it during the World Series at Candlestick in SF. 

Then we were in Franz Joseph Glacier in 2016 spending the night when we felt the 7.8  that struck near Christchurch, NZ. 🙃

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, garlictown said:

🤪Living in Santa Clara County, we sure remember the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake! It was a magnitude of 6.9 and the world was watching it during the World Series at Candlestick in SF. 

Then we were in Franz Joseph Glacier in 2016 spending the night when we felt the 7.8  that struck near Christchurch, NZ. 🙃

I remember watching the World Series Quake and immediately called my sister who was living in Benicia at the time.  I went out to California for Christmas that year and we hiked into the epicenter of that quake.  It was a beautiful park and the hike was great, even though we had to cross streams on fallen trees as the bridges were out.  On the way home I made my brother in law drive through Gilroy.  There are some places in Gilroy where the curbs don't match up due to slow creep along the fault lines.  We also hiked Point Reyes earthquake trail.  

In 2014 I was in Oakland when the South Napa Earthquake occurred.  That one was a 6.0 and shook us out of bed.  

Missouri can have large quakes.   Don't forget about the New Madrid quakes in the early 1800s.  That seismic zone could come to life.  

http://www.new-madrid.mo.us/132/Strange-Happenings-during-the-Earthquake

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, garlictown said:

Wow! A 7.8 magnitude earthquake is huge. That size quake gives off over 22 times the energy of the one you felt in Santa Clara County in 1989. The New Zealand quake was even five times stronger than the one my DW tells me about from her young childhood while they were camping at Yellowstone National Park (1959; 7.3 on the Richter scale). She tells of thinking a bear was shaking the trailer, realizing it was an earthquake, and then she and her sisters poking sticks into cracks in the ground as they appeared during the aftershocks. Of course, she was only four years old at the time and a lot of her memories are probably derived from conversations around the campfire over the years since.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, dfish said:

There are some places in Gilroy where the curbs don't match up due to slow creep along the fault lines. 

I always thought those curbs were a bit off because of all the garlic in Gilroy 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 7