If cruises from US Ports resumes in July, what's next?

While we all anxiously await word on a resumption of cruises possibly in July 2021 from the latest announcement. At some point the herculean task for each of the cruise lines, (this being for Royal Caribbean) begins with who's going to get to sail on a particular date and itinerary. First, the amount of passengers who will be allowed, depending on the size of the ship, a percentage? Secondly, determining just how passengers will be selected? Will it be those who booked a specific ship two years ago? Those with FCC's? Their Crown and Anchor Status from Gold to Pinnacle to Suite passengers? We all are anxious to cruise again, while there's got to be a way for the lines to determine just how the passengers will be selected, maybe it has already been determined within the company and will be released as soon as cruising from US Ports officially resumes? This is going to get very interesting as the days get closer for the big announcement. Thanks in advance to those who reply.

26 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

who's going to get to sail on a particular date and itinerary.

Very likely everyone who is booked. If there's going to be any bumping, RCI will likely use their previous method of incentives.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stick93 said:

I am waiting to hear if NY/NJ or for that case any northeastern state opens their ports.  If there is cruising I would bet on a southern state but not a southwestern state. 

Time will tell! 

Do you have any evidence that the NY/NJ ports or closed?

Check here:

https://www.panynj.gov/port/en/index.html

it says: "The Port of NY & NJ Is Open"

Tom

" The Port of NY NY & NJ Is Open"

10 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

While we all anxiously await word on a resumption of cruises possibly in July 2021 from the latest announcement. At some point the herculean task for each of the cruise lines, (this being for Royal Caribbean) begins with who's going to get to sail on a particular date and itinerary. First, the amount of passengers who will be allowed, depending on the size of the ship, a percentage? Secondly, determining just how passengers will be selected? Will it be those who booked a specific ship two years ago? Those with FCC's? Their Crown and Anchor Status from Gold to Pinnacle to Suite passengers? We all are anxious to cruise again, while there's got to be a way for the lines to determine just how the passengers will be selected, maybe it has already been determined within the company and will be released as soon as cruising from US Ports officially resumes? This is going to get very interesting as the days get closer for the big announcement. Thanks in advance to those who reply.

There will likely be many more cancellations of currently scheduled sailings because it will need to be a more phased start.  The cruise line heads have said as much.  The restart with protocols and vaccines will be tough to manage.  It’s also possible that they will simply cancel cruises and then resell them in order to comply with capacity limitations (which will remain) and having to ensure a vaccinated passenger and crew cohort.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

There will likely be many more cancellations of currently scheduled sailings because it will need to be a more phased start.  The cruise line heads have said as much.  The restart with protocols and vaccines will be tough to manage.  It’s also possible that they will simply cancel cruises and then resell them in order to comply with capacity limitations (which will remain) and having to ensure a vaccinated passenger and crew cohort.  

Plus for people with all those FCC...........by canceling all the present cruises and then making new ones they can charge higher prices to offset some of the cruiselines loses.

10 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Very likely everyone who is booked. If there's going to be any bumping, RCI will likely use their previous method of incentives.

What is their previous means of incentives? In my post I wasn't so much asking in which order do we think that Ports will open. If the CDC gives it a go for July I would think that ALL the US ports will be open accepting cruise ships once again. Of course Logistics in stocking and preparing the ship for passengers is also included. I'm sure if the cruise line has to wait until July to begin that process then no one is going to be sailing at the beginning of the month. Anymore thoughts?

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Plus for people with all those FCC...........by canceling all the present cruises and then making new ones they can charge higher prices to offset some of the cruiselines loses.

Wow, that would be a cruel way to do things, but in a way wouldn't be a  surprise. I would still think a plan would be needed as to who cn still get to be on a cruise that they've already booked.

5 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

What is their previous means of incentives? In my post I wasn't so much asking in which order do we think that Ports will open. If the CDC gives it a go for July I would think that ALL the US ports will be open accepting cruise ships once again. Of course Logistics in stocking and preparing the ship for passengers is also included. I'm sure if the cruise line has to wait until July to begin that process then no one is going to be sailing at the beginning of the month. Anymore thoughts?

When my four-night sailing on the Brilliance was overbooked in February 2020, I was offered a full refund plus any 4-7 night sailing out of Tampa during the next two months, free other than port fees/taxes.  I just can’t imagine Royal cancelling and rebooking at higher prices.  I believe they are better than that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

When my four-night sailing on the Brilliance was overbooked in February 2020, I was offered a full refund plus any 4-7 night sailing out of Tampa during the next two months, free other than port fees/taxes.  I just can’t imagine Royal cancelling and rebooking at higher prices.  I believe they are better than that.

Not saying like ALL the cruises that are booked, just for the start up cruises..........Resume current scheduled cruises like from November 2021 Thanksgivng cruises out.

Up until that have all new cruise itineraires and ships since right now all the ships are in screwed up locations.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Not saying like ALL the cruises that are booked, just for the start up cruises..........Resume current scheduled cruises like from November 2021 Thanksgivng cruises out.

Up until that have all new cruise itineraires and ships since right now all the ships are in screwed up locations.

I think they will be willing to sort that out in a way that preserves the current bookings (possibly substituting ships for those in the wrong locations if that is the case, even changing ports), but not canceling and then reopening bookings.  I don’t believe it will be necessary because I think they were smart enough to cut off bookings at a conservative percentage.  One of our popular posters who can see the numbers has reassured us several times that there were less than 40-60% booked.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

We better not get bumped, I've had Allure Sept. booked since last year, with FCC and we are D+ and have patiently waited to see what is going to happen.  All 6 of us vaccinated better be allowed to stay, don't we also have a contract with them?  Or is that considered null and void unless it's signed when Docs are issued.

Edited by BecciBoo

24 minutes ago, Stallion said:

I would think cancelling and rebooking at higher prices would be a deceptive trade practice-might also get the attention of certain attorneys general

That happens with every charter. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stallion said:

I would think cancelling and rebooking at higher prices would be a deceptive trade practice-might also get the attention of certain attorneys general

They basically did it to me on a transpacific booking I had by changing the departure port from Sydney to Brisbane and calling it a repositioning.  Rather than letting us choose to continue on the cruise with the change, they cancelled all those money losing lift and shifts and resold the cabins for a much higher price. 
They have their ways. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Wherever possible I am fairly certain that existing itineraries with the existing customers will be kept intact.  Those are conformed bookings.  Financially there is much less risk to keep existing bookings than it is to cancel and then have to process all those cancellations and then rebook the ship from scratch

• Like 2

I'm guessing that a lot of people will drop out all on their own. If RC said that you could get a full refund and maybe some perk if you're unvaccinated or simply not feeling ready to cruise just yet, a fair few folks will remove themselves from the sailings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ladychater said:

I'm guessing that a lot of people will drop out all on their own. If RC said that you could get a full refund and maybe some perk if you're unvaccinated or simply not feeling ready to cruise just yet, a fair few folks will remove themselves from the sailings.

1 hour ago, ladychater said:

Please keep in mind that if the cruise line cancels your cruise, then you WILL have the opportunity for a complete refund or a FCC which after reading what some people are going through having to rebook more than once. On the other foot if you tell the cruise line that you're cancelling your cruise then its going to depend on how close you are to your actual cruise date on how much money you'll get back. By all means, if you can, when your final payment is due, pay it then opt for the 100% refund when you get official notification that your cruise is cancelled. No matter what you decide , things are going to be "all over the place" until sailings get back to a somewhat normal condition.

Edited by DJLDRUMS

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

We better not get bumped, I've had Allure Sept. booked since last year, with FCC and we are D+ and have patiently waited to see what is going to happen.  All 6 of us vaccinated better be allowed to stay, don't we also have a contract with them?  Or is that considered null and void unless it's signed when Docs are issued.

The cruise line contract doesn’t prevent them from over booking, or cancelling a cruise due to charter etc.  The contract is to protect the cruise line, not the passenger.  I’m D+ myself and would hope they would take loyalty status into account, if they do need to bum people. They will usually make an attractive compensation offer, but at this point I just need to cruise!