Help needed to cancel cruise due to illness.

Without going into too many personal details we are having to cancel a cruise later this year due to one of the party having a recent diagnosis and currently undergoing chemo.

Due to this we have had to cancel a number of things.  All the companies have been excellent apart from one.  Royal have so far been dreadful.  If they could find another hoop for us to jump through I'm sure they would.

We have insurance so this a much more a a matter of them telling us what they are returning and what I need to claim from insurance.   I was sent a statement yesterday which made clear they were not refunding flights (which I expected).  All I had to do today was contact them to confirm total being refunded (it wasn't clear from statement), that they hadn't mentioned by paid for drinks packages and that the Amex account used to pay was no longer valid.

The person answering first threw me by saying Royal were going to refund the flights.  OK fair enough.   He then stated that the drinks packages would be returned.  The card however was a problem.  I had to speak to his supervisor as only they could add a new number.   Fine but there was no supervisor available at all today.  In fact according to him there was no manager in the whole of Royal to speak to at all today.  He then asked me to wait, which I did for 20 minutes before he came back with a new process for me.

Royal will try to refund to the account which I have told him no longer exists.  When that doesn't work they will contact me to contact them to sort it out.   That he said was the fastest way.  He would expedite the process so it would only take 45 days.  Otherwise it would take six months.   I tried to explain that their process was somewhat flawed but he wasn't for accepting that.

Does anyone have any way to sort this mess out?   I need a final statement of what they will and won't be paying.  Given I have been told already they won't be paying for the flights, I have my doubts about his claim today they would be.  The latest statement is clear they won't.  They have on the back of the call today cancelled the drinks packages which now show credit balances and cash paid balances.  However these are not part of the final statement. 

Frankly I don't need this hastle at the moment.  I just need to deal with someone who will actually help.   I am UK based.

Without seeing your original flight document I can’t answer about the flights but everything else you purchased will be refunded in full.  Your cruise fare will either be refunded or or it will be returned as a FCC without penalties as you are cancelling under cruise with confidence. 

As Ken said, everything should be refunded (flights excluded as unknown).  Cruise planner purchased will be refunded to your card.  Do you still have any accounts with Amex?  If so, and just one card was cancelled and another opened, Amex will know that and refund the purchase to the new card.  If you have no relationship with Amex, it will bounce back and you will have to go through the extended process.  The cruise fare will most likely be refunded as an FCC for the full amount of the cruise.

• Like 1

I have made it clear it has to be refunded.  Not willing to accept FCC and as being cancelled by me due to illness they have agreed.  I cannot understand why they need to attempt to put the money back to an account which i have made it clear to them does not exist anymore.  Equally cannot understand why there is no-one working today who is able to deal with it.

They are doing themselves no favour with me by the way they are reacting/dealing with our situation.

Any company that is going to issue a refund always sends it to the card that was used, that is just how the system works.  If the card has been cancelled but a new card and number has been issued by that same company, the credit card company will apply it to that card.  If you know longer have a relationship with the credit card company, then it will have to bounce back and be dealt with in another way by the cruise line, which will take time.

As far as getting a refund vs getting a FCC, you said you have insurance, if you are cancelling for a covered reason, which it sounds like you are, you should receive a refund, not a FCC.  That has been our experience in the past when we have had to cancel for a medical reason.

The process can be very frustrating, especially when you are dealing with a crisis to begin with, step back from it for a day and see if you get someone better once you call again.  Sending positive thoughts for a full recovery.

Edit to add:  I just read somewhere else that it is a bank holiday over there today, that could be why you can't get a supervisor or manager today.  Definitely try another day!

Edited by reallyitsmema
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Any company that is going to issue a refund always sends it to the card that was used, that is just how the system works.  If the card has been cancelled but a new card and number has been issued by that same company, the credit card company will apply it to that card.  If you know longer have a relationship with the credit card company, then it will have to bounce back and be dealt with in another way by the cruise line, which will take time.

As far as getting a refund vs getting a FCC, you said you have insurance, if you are cancelling for a covered reason, which it sounds like you are, you should receive a refund, not a FCC.  That has been our experience in the past when we have had to cancel for a medical reason.

The process can be very frustrating, especially when you are dealing with a crisis to begin with, step back from it for a day and see if you get someone better once you call again.  Sending positive thoughts for a full recovery.

Edit to add:  I just read somewhere else that it is a bank holiday over there today, that could be why you can't get a supervisor or manager today.  Definitely try another day!

It is a bank holiday for us but our calls are routed to the states so not a bank holiday for you!  I have had no issues with the other companies refunding to new card or direct to bank account.  Attempting to send to a card I have made them aware no longer exists is pointless and a waste of both our times.

5 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

It is a bank holiday for us but our calls are routed to the states so not a bank holiday for you!  I have had no issues with the other companies refunding to new card or direct to bank account.  Attempting to send to a card I have made them aware no longer exists is pointless and a waste of both our times.

Totally understand your frustration. Cruise lines are full of rote bureaucracy and even when you inform them of a "wrinkle," they default back to their lock-step procedures.

1 hour ago, Dinglebert said:

It's just the way the system works in the USA. I think it's so they avoid any appearance of money laundering.

You might see if AMEX can reopen the account? 

As far as other refunds I’m not sure on options. Are you past final payment date? If you cancel under the cruise with confidence you are going to receive a refund for anything not past final payment date including airfare if it was a refundable fare. You will receive a FCC for the non refundable deposit. You may be able to refuse the deposit FCC but will have to have that in writing for your insurance claim. You can’t double dip with FCC from the cruise line and refund from the insurance company.

If your cruise in within final payment in the next month or two  you could just wait and see how future cancellations will happen as you may receive a full refund without the hassle 

3 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

I have made it clear it has to be refunded.  Not willing to accept FCC and as being cancelled by me due to illness they have agreed.  I cannot understand why they need to attempt to put the money back to an account which i have made it clear to them does not exist anymore.  Equally cannot understand why there is no-one working today who is able to deal with it.

They are doing themselves no favour with me by the way they are reacting/dealing with our situation.

I believe a majority of their sales reps work from home but they should be able to connect you with a supervisor.  Is your travel insurance they royal or outside carrier?

When was your cruise?   Are seeking refund of a deposit or did you already make payment in full?  Any chance that royal may cancel your cruise in the future?

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I believe a majority of their sales reps work from home but they should be able to connect you with a supervisor.  Is your travel insurance they royal or outside carrier?

When was your cruise?   Are seeking refund of a deposit or did you already make payment in full?  Any chance that royal may cancel your cruise in the future?

They claimed no supervisors working for the whole of RCI today which is somewhat being economical with the truth.  My insurance is with my bank.  Cruise is October.   What I am seeking is exactly how much Royal is going to refund. I can then claim the rest via insurance.  I only want what has been paid either via Royal or insurance.  Royal are being very difficult and making demands but then taking days and in one case over a week to respond.

None of this should be difficult.  I have paid to them my deposit, the full flight costs and cash for drinks packages.   What I was expecting back was deposit and cash for drinks.  What threw me was person today claiming I would also get flight back.

5 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

They claimed no supervisors working for the whole of RCI today which is somewhat being economical with the truth.  My insurance is with my bank.  Cruise is October.   What I am seeking is exactly how much Royal is going to refund. I can then claim the rest via insurance.  I only want what has been paid either via Royal or insurance.  Royal are being very difficult and making demands but then taking days and in one case over a week to respond.

None of this should be difficult.  I have paid to them my deposit, the full flight costs and cash for drinks packages.   What I was expecting back was deposit and cash for drinks.  What threw me was person today claiming I would also get flight back.

Does your original invoice for flight show what the penalty would be if you cancelled?  If you paid for flight in full I would think you would get refunded less the penalty amt.

5 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Does your original invoice for flight show what the penalty would be if you cancelled?  If you paid for flight in full I would think you would get refunded less the penalty amt.

Today I have woken to a cancellation invoice.  The only problem is I can't work out if they are paying me it all back or none!   I am going to have to phone yet again.  The invoice is just a tad unclear.

5 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

Today I have woken to a cancellation invoice.  The only problem is I can't work out if they are paying me it all back or none!   I am going to have to phone yet again.  The invoice is just a tad unclear.

Just because you cancelled the card used for whatever reason doesn't mean it can't still accept credit. Check would be then mailed by card company

Call them

Edited by cruisinfanatic
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

RCI have paid me back all monies paid including the money for the flights.  So fair play to them eventually.  They do make it complicated to deal with them and their communication is poor to non-existant.

Their final paperwork on the amounts paid for which bit of the cruise etc is only correct in one aspect which is the final amount they refunded and I paid.  The rest of it is a complete work of fiction and misses out the flights completly even though they were 80+% of what I had actually paid them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

Update.

RCI have paid me back all monies paid including the money for the flights.  So fair play to them eventually.  They do make it complicated to deal with them and their communication is poor to non-existant.

Their final paperwork on the amounts paid for which bit of the cruise etc is only correct in one aspect which is the final amount they refunded and I paid.  The rest of it is a complete work of fiction and misses out the flights completly even though they were 80+% of what I had actually paid them.

Great news, Congrats ! I'm sure other people like you will be fighting for refunds like you just went through. For  other expenses relating to their cruise besides the cruise fair because Royal canceling cruises so close to their sail dates.

I hope others do as well as you.