Princess RT transfers

JudithLynne

My DH and I are booked on a cruise out of LA in Dec.  I am interested in any feedback about the quality of Princess transfers both ways from LAX.  We are seniors and I have an arthritic knee which keeps me from standing for a long period of time.  I am very good at walking such that one would never guess that I have an orthopedic problem.

We do not use Uber or Lyft.

Thanks for any info.

• Like 1

We have used princess transfers to Fort Lauderdale airport several times in the past and really like them.  Have not cruised out of LA yet but booked for an August California Coastal and using the ships transfer to and from LAX.  I’m sure it will be similar to Fort Lauderdale.

L. A. is our home port and sailed from there several times. We usually use Princess for transfers elsewhere and they're good. The San Pedro terminal is served by Princess shuttles to LAX, but you can experience waiting until a bus fills up and that might involve standing awhile.

Two things you can do. Take the express walk-off which shortens your wait at the passport line and you're first to seats on the bus. Not many Passport checkers at the kiosks in LA. The San Pedro port is also served by Primetime van shuttle to LAX. Used to be Supershuttle too but I hear they're out of business. Nothing fancy, but a van fills faster than a bus if you want to get going. Eat a big breakfast on the ship because food at the airport is expensive.

9 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Used to be Supershuttle too but I hear they're out of business. Nothing fancy, but a van fills faster than a bus if you want to get going. Eat a big breakfast on the ship because food at the airport is expensive.

Supershuttle in some reincarnation form still exists at LAX.

If you do not want to use Uber/Lyft, we found that regular taxis provide private service direct to/from LAX and the cost is just about the same as the Princess bus service, around $80 for two. Prime Time shuttle also still operates, $40/$50 for two. They provide a shared ride service. You may have to wait some and the shuttle may make stops along the way. If your timing is tight I would avoid Prime Time. How long you wait at the airport for the Princess bus depends a lot on when you arrive. Busses leave the Pier and drop off passengers. Then they pick up new passengers to be delivered to the pier. Princess does not want embarking passengers to arrive too early, so you may have to wait some if your flight arrives early. If your timing is tight I would go with the Princess transfer.

Even though it's a 2 1/2 hour flight you might think about flying the day before and staying overnight in San Pedro. Hotels have pier shuttles.

We get the LAX transfer every time we cruise.

Only problem we have (and I'm sure I will hear something about this) is that we have to wait in the airport for a few hours before getting on the bus. There are seats in the airport as well while waiting.

We fly in early in the morning (arrive 7 - 8 am) from Arizona and they actually do not start transferring people until about 10:00 am or later.

Yes they do go through the airport and pick up others but the seats are comfortable. I too have arthritis and do find this to be uncomfortable at all.   We usually go to Starbucks and get a snack and coffee since we know we have a few hours.

Thank you all for your helpful information, my concern was having no place to sit  in baggage claim while waiting for the bus which would be difficult but it looks like that will not be a problem.

We will arrive at LAX at 10 AM in terminal 6, looks like that may be a good time to get there.

If you arrive day of cruise;  you should not have to wait too long;  you can always tell the airport rep; that you would like to wait on the bus

9 hours ago, AF-1 said:

If you arrive day of cruise;  you should not have to wait too long;  you can always tell the airport rep; that you would like to wait on the bus

Which is not possible unless you are at the terminal where the bus originates and there is one there.

If you are at a different terminal you need to wait for that bus to leave the terminal it starts at.

We tried using the Princess transfer the first time we cruised from San Pedro.  Thought it would be the easiest and due to the distance from LAX, wanted to ensure we were not tied up in LA traffic and have to worry about missing the ship.  Although it was easy, we would never use them again.

Arrived at around 10:00 am, and immediately found our rep at the baggage area.  Very nice and we were ushered out to the bus fairly quickly.  Then as others have commented, we sat there until the bus filled up.  The kicker was that once the bus filled up, it then drove a short distance to a hotel where we waited in a conference room until 1:00 pm.  Didn't get to the ship until 2:00 pm.

Since then we have always used independent transfers.  Taxi or a shuttle like Prime Time or Super Shuttle.  Once, we splurged and pre-ordered an independent limo which wasn't a lot more than the Princess shuttle cost.

Ever since that experience we have always arranged our own transfers - cheaper and we never have to wait for someone else's agenda.

Good luck.

5 hours ago, RLK33853 said:

Arrived at around 10:00 am, and immediately found our rep at the baggage area.  Very nice and we were ushered out to the bus fairly quickly.  Then as others have commented, we sat there until the bus filled up.  The kicker was that once the bus filled up, it then drove a short distance to a hotel where we waited in a conference room until 1:00 pm.  Didn't get to the ship until 2:00 pm.

That may have been an unusual circumstance. Deep cleaning for Noro, Coast Guard inspection, etc.

Regardless if it was a special situation that day, I would avoid group transportation.  It usually costs more as they charge by the person, whereas a taxi service is by the ride.  More control of the situation for me and with the timing.

On 5/4/2021 at 2:55 PM, JudithLynne said:

My DH and I are booked on a cruise out of LA in Dec.  I am interested in any feedback about the quality of Princess transfers both ways from LAX.  We are seniors and I have an arthritic knee which keeps me from standing for a long period of time.  I am very good at walking such that one would never guess that I have an orthopedic problem.

We do not use Uber or Lyft.

Thanks for any info.

Uber or Lyft would seem to be a solution to your problem and will certainly save you money and standing time.  Any reason why you don't want to use them or is it none of my business?

DON

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 12:34 AM, caribill said:

Supershuttle in some reincarnation form still exists at LAX.

Hello Caribill,

What name is Supershuttle reincarnate to?  My Dad is in wheelchair and we used to use Supershuttle in LAX to San Pedro return.  Desperately looking for other alternatives in LAX!  We usually arrive the day of the cruise and not sure how easy to get a handicapped taxi at the airport queue.

Grace

23 minutes ago, lost4sure said:

Hello Caribill,

What name is Supershuttle reincarnate to?  My Dad is in wheelchair and we used to use Supershuttle in LAX to San Pedro return.  Desperately looking for other alternatives in LAX!  We usually arrive the day of the cruise and not sure how easy to get a handicapped taxi at the airport queue.

Grace

https://www.supershuttle.com/locations/losangeles-lax/

is the new operator, but Google  supershuttle LAX   and other services will also show.

One thing to ask with any of the shuttle services is if you can get picked up at the terminal or if you have to make your way to a shuttle pickup area.

I gave up on Princess transfers when they charged almost 3 times the cost of a taxi in Copenhagen.

I have used Uber to and from San Pedro to LAX- it went off without a hitch- we used Uber XL and even with the additional expense, it was still half the cost- and there was no waiting. 

Have done Princess transfers from LAX to San Pedro.  I’m now asking about Princess transfers from SFO to San Francisco pier.  Is it the same procedure and do they take you to a hotel to sit and wait?  How does the price compare with other shuttles?  We arrive at SFO at 10:40.