Latest CDC-CSO Requirements

51 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

CDC now is an out of control political body that may not even have the authority to issue any of these directives. It's shameful. There is at least one lawsuit challenging the CDC's authority - or if they have authority - challenges their arbitrary and capricious actions.

I hope the CDC loses. Look, everybody knows what the CDC's mission is, but it doesn't logically follow (as some pretend) that anything and everything they demand is reasonable. Far too many people, even alleged cruisers on this forum, have put most or all of the blame on the cruise industry for failing to adhere to the CDC's requirements. Yet the CDC dropped or scaled back some of them recently, which just goes to show they were unreasonable to begin with. I think it's sad. If I got fired from my job and then asked for it back, but the only way my employer would rehire me was if I took a 50% pay cut, worked extra hours for no overtime, and gave up my benefits, would you really say it's MY FAULT if I didn't take it? This is absurd. Just because the CDC wants to protect public health doesn't mean US citizens have to "do as they're told" and accept their restrictions like servile peasants. We have a right to disagree, and so do the cruise lines. They can sail safely and still reject some of the CDC's nonsensical rules. Wearing a mask all through dinner for 100% vaccinated passengers? Please...... 🙄

• Like 7

Every year 2 million people on average are injured in auto accidents and 32,000 killed.  So should we tolerate the NTSB to stop all driving of vehicles and require everyone to ride in predetermined  safety buses so that we can eliminate all accidents?  Put that into perspective of the CDC orders.

Then the NTSB allows you to drive if you take another safe driving course, only allow vehicles with air bags, or better yet, only autonomous cars.  I don't think we would put up with that.

I also have not seen anything presented that tells us when all this Covid restrictions will be lifted.  They prepared steps for easing restrictions, but where's the "no mask" level of covid reporting?  do we have to wait until no hospitalizations?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, JABTPS said:

I don't think we would put up with that.

You are already putting up with the government telling you that, to minimize the number of people who die in car accidents, before you hop in a car, you need to be certified by taking a test and getting a driver’s license, you need to wear a seat belt, you need to be sober, you need to drive under the speed limit, you need to maintain a certain separation from other cars, and you need to abide by a litany of other rules and restrictions. But somehow that’s not considered government overreach or control, but requiring a mask and getting vaccinated to go on a cruise is. 

• Like 3

I'm gonna let all of you guys in on a little secret: no matter who says what on Cruise Critic, no matter who "wins" the argument, IT DOESN'T MATTER.

The CDC isn't changing its mind because of what we say on here.

The Federal Government isn't changing its mind because of what we say on here.

The cruise line executives aren't going to change their minds because of what we say on here.

Everything we say about what "will" happen, what the CDC "will" do or what the cruise lines "will" do is pure speculation, nothing more and nothing less. Just in case any of us (me included, BTW) thinks our debates are going to change the face of cruising, THEY'RE NOT.

What's going to happen is what's going to happen. What we say amounts to 0. (sorry, but that's the truth of the matter)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm gonna let all of you guys in on a little secret: no matter who says what on Cruise Critic, no matter who "wins" the argument, IT DOESN'T MATTER.

The CDC isn't changing its mind because of what we say on here.

The Federal Government isn't changing its mind because of what we say on here.

The cruise line executives aren't going to change their minds because of what we say on here.

Everything we say about what "will" happen, what the CDC "will" do or what the cruise lines "will" do is pure speculation, nothing more and nothing less. Just in case any of us (me included, BTW) thinks our debates are going to change the face of cruising, THEY'RE NOT.

What's going to happen is what's going to happen. What we say amounts to 0. (sorry, but that's the truth of the matter)

Thanks. Might as well just shut down the forums then.

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Thanks. Might as well just shut down the forums then.

Nothing wrong with the forums. I just think a little perspective is in order. It kinda reminds of being on board and waxing philosophical over drinks at a bar. It's somewhat amusing, but it's unlikely to change the face of history. I mean, come on.....

• Like 1

Quite frankly after reading the guidelines as of today, it seems the CDC only put these guidelines forth to avoid getting sued (like FL planned to) while at the same time making it so incredibly impractical that, in effect, no one will want to sail before the measures expire in October, unless you're into inconvenience and self punishment.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Completely agree. I have always hated having a million other people touching the utensils, but I like eating in the Windjammer.

Touching the utensils, while picking all the Feta out of the Greek Salad!

7 hours ago, Tapi said:

You are already putting up with the government telling you that, to minimize the number of people who die in car accidents, before you hop in a car, you need to be certified by taking a test and getting a driver’s license, you need to wear a seat belt, you need to be sober, you need to drive under the speed limit, you need to maintain a certain separation from other cars, and you need to abide by a litany of other rules and restrictions. But somehow that’s not considered government overreach or control, but requiring a mask and getting vaccinated to go on a cruise is. 

Maybe, but how many people ignore all those rules?  Hehehe  a butt load.  Happens all day long in spite of the tickets.

2 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Maybe, but how many people ignore all those rules?  Hehehe  a butt load.  Happens all day long in spite of the tickets.

Well, for cruises, it’ll be easier to identify the ‘people who ignore those rules’ and rather than hand out tickets, they won’t be permitted to board.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Well, for cruises, it’ll be easier to identify the ‘people who ignore those rules’ and rather than hand out tickets, they won’t be permitted to board.

I hope so, but after boarding it'll be very hard to enforce all of them.

Edited by BecciBoo

54 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Touching the utensils, while picking all the Feta out of the Greek Salad!

I have actually witnessed a woman who mashed the top of a cake with her finger once....isch.

1 hour ago, coldflame said:

Quite frankly after reading the guidelines as of today, it seems the CDC only put these guidelines forth to avoid getting sued (like FL planned to) while at the same time making it so incredibly impractical that, in effect, no one will want to sail before the measures expire in October, unless you're into inconvenience and self punishment.

I was thinking the same when they sent out the letter last week but with the new guidelines the CDC might have actually given the 3 states an opening with conflicting guidance.

8 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I hope so, but after boarding it'll be very hard to enforce all of them.

With social media being what it is it won’t take them long to get the message out on how they will deal with those thinking rules don’t apply to them.  

Do you recall what happened to the couple who decided to go off on their own during  MSC shore excursion?  Put off the ship and  left at the pier.  Same thing will happen with Royal, people will be put off the ship to find their own way home. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

With social media being what it is it won’t take them long to get the message out on how they will deal with those thinking rules don’t apply to them.  

Do you recall what happened to the couple who decided to go off on their own during  MSC shore excursion?  Put off the ship and  left at the pier.  Same thing will happen with Royal, people will be put off the ship to find their own way home. 

With no reimbursement from their travel insurance policy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

NOt a problem for me

46 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Oh, for sure.  That’s where alcohol-fuelled vigilantism comes in.

I don't condone violence in any form, I'll let the vigilantis do that, I'm not one.  I'll be the one smirking behind my mask....At least there will be entertainment.

Just now, smokeybandit said:

How many people will get the cheapest shore excursion they can just to get off the ship, then go do their own thing?

After a butt load of cruising, we don't even care about excursions.  The only excursion on our cruise anyway is Labadee and CoCo Cay.  How many times can you go ashore in Jamaica???  Been there done that.  But I'm sure there will be those who try....

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

How many people will get the cheapest shore excursion they can just to get off the ship, then go do their own thing?

And then not be allowed to reboard the cruise ship because they didn’t return with their assigned tour.  This will replace watching for pier runners. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

After a butt load of cruising, we don't even care about excursions.  The only excursion on our cruise anyway is Labadee and CoCo Cay.  How many times can you go ashore in Jamaica???  Been there done that.  But I'm sure there will be those who try....

I do enjoy going in the Falmouth shops and getting some coffee beans. But yes, I don't care much about shore excursions, especially for these 2021 cruises. That said some people feel compelled to get off at every stop

I hope they do, I love staying on with an empty ship...so fun.  People have argued that I should not be willing to comply with all these stupid restrictions, that it won't be fun and what's the point.  Even to the insulting point of labeling me "in denial"?  What!  We love the ship and the ocean and sitting on our balcony with latte's or wine and some fruit and crackers, talking about stuff and watching the water.  We really don't need a lot of other stuff to make us happy.  I resent people on here speaking for me, they don't know me from Adam.  I just love to cruise and the Big Blue.   We'll be perfectly happy no matter what we have to do to keep the CDC happy.  That's just the way we role in our shire....

Aft Jogging chairs.JPG

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I hope they do, I love staying on with an empty ship...so fun.  People have argued that I should not be willing to comply with all these stupid restrictions, that it won't be fun and what's the point.  Even to the insulting point of labeling me "in denial"?  What!  We love the ship and the ocean and sitting on our balcony with latte's or wine and some fruit and crackers, talking about stuff and watching the water.  We really don't need a lot of other stuff to make us happy.  I resent people on here speaking for me, they don't know me from Adam.  I just love to cruise and the Big Blue.   We'll be perfectly happy no matter what we have to do to keep the CDC happy.  That's just the way we role in our shire....

You have every right to enjoy your cruise as you want.  As long as you are ok with the restrictions going in then it sounds like it will be fun for you.  We are the opposite. We seldom use our balcony although we always get one.  Instead we like to go to the solarium for the day.  My husband reads and I knit.  We get in the water when hot and run by the ice cream machine as needed.  We check out the bars and the trivia games.  We enjoy the show and listening to music later.  Maybe a stroll on the deck.  The cabin we use to sleep in and get ready for the next activity in.  We always get off the ship.  I find an independent excursion or a good place to snorkel and we are off for the day.  We have been to Cozumel a lot and still enjoy it.  A little shopping and the rest of the day at Maya Chan.  That is why we may never get to cruise again.  I do hope sometime we can get back to Alaska and maybe a trip to Cerula Mar in the Bahamas.  Until then it will be road trips here in the states to places without so many restrictions.

• Like 1