Latest CDC-CSO Requirements

Apologize if this has been posted and I missed it.

Along with the other communication from CDC regarding test cruises, the following was issued today with regard to buffets and shore excursions. There is no mention of test cruises so one would assume this is a requirement of all cruises departing from U.S. ports. IMO, the shore excursion/independent exploration item is a no bueno for us, unless it's rescinded prior to our 2022 cruises:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24942-cdc-will-eliminate-cruise-ship-buffet-require-organized-shore-excursions.html

• Like 1

Interesting.  I think this might answer what I’ve been wondering,  IF they require tours only through the ship, would they let you off the ship say to shop.  Based on that, it sounds like ‘self exploration’ would not be allowed.  Bummer for the guests and the businesses that won’t have income

Erika

Also disappointed, in a way, about this.  Not a big deal necessarily for our August trip, since it is not sailing to any US ports, but our December cruise may be impacted.  Hoping not, as we have a couple places we always visit in Cabo, and they aren't "excursion" places.  Maybe it will be less restricted by then.  Either way, I'm sure we will have a great time as it is more about being with family after a long time a part, than what we do in port.

1 hour ago, joepeka said:

Apologize if this has been posted and I missed it.

Along with the other communication from CDC regarding test cruises, the following was issued today with regard to buffets and shore excursions. There is no mention of test cruises so one would assume this is a requirement of all cruises departing from U.S. ports. IMO, the shore excursion/independent exploration item is a no bueno for us, unless it's rescinded prior to our 2022 cruises:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24942-cdc-will-eliminate-cruise-ship-buffet-require-organized-shore-excursions.html

Already a thread above.

4 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Already a thread above.

Yes, I saw that but this Cruise Industry News story makes no mention of simulated/restricted passenger cruises. I suppose it's possible CIN was remiss in mentioning in their story that these restrictions they reported were only for simulated and restricted passenger cruises?

Edited by joepeka

I am scheduled for a cruise in October.  It will be sailing to Port Canaveral, Nassau, & Coco Cay.  I have no problem staying onboard in Nassau (was looking forward to seeing Ardastra Gardens) but will we be able to go on our own in Port Canaveral & Coco Cay?  I had ideas in Port Canaveral but I am okay with staying onboard if necessary.  I'm assuming we can go alone in Coco Cay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTAngel said:

but will we be able to go on our own in Port Canaveral & Coco Cay? 

It would be height of stupidity if you leave from one US port but can't explore another US port.

• Like 1

So this might be a dumb question, but if I am on the 10/31 sailing and the CSO order is set to expire and they DON'T extend it, will buffets and the 6 feet apart rule still be applied?  Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm brain dead after finals this week.

I'm ok with the buffet going away and turning more into a cafeteria style where they put the food on your plate and don't have to touch the same spoon as other guests. This should also help cut down on norovirus.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

I'm ok with the buffet going away and turning more into a cafeteria style where they put the food on your plate and don't have to touch the same spoon as other guests. This should also help cut down on norovirus.

Servers serving up your selected items in the WJ is way over due. Works great in the MDR on sea days at the Tutti salad bar. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, PTAngel said:

I am scheduled for a cruise in October.  It will be sailing to Port Canaveral, Nassau, & Coco Cay.  I have no problem staying onboard in Nassau (was looking forward to seeing Ardastra Gardens) but will we be able to go on our own in Port Canaveral & Coco Cay?  I had ideas in Port Canaveral but I am okay with staying onboard if necessary.  I'm assuming we can go alone in Coco Cay.

Staying on board has been some of the best cruising memories we have not to mention the great people  you meet at the pool whilst everyone else is gone...guess the number who remain will be greater this year, but no problem.  Of course no problem whatever on CoCo,

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Servers serving up your selected items in the WJ is way over due. Works great in the MDR on sea days at the Tutti salad bar. 

I agree and also cut down on the amount of hoarding of food that just stays on plates and goes to waste.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Not exactly sure how the server putting food on your plate cuts down on guests to guest contact in the buffet line..............Think about it?

You hand the server your plate, he puts on 2 pieces of ham on your plate, hands it back you. granted he is wearing gloves, the same gloves he  had on from the person before you that got 2 pieces of ham...............so he touched the same plate the guest before handed to the server, he then touched your plate, same gloves etc............this goes on and on down the buffet line.

In turn you may have 10 or so guests germs on your plate by the time you get to your table, all depends how many items you grab too in the buffet line.

Anyone following me after all of the above?

Servers in buffet line doesn't help that much at all.

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Not exactly sure how the server putting food on your plate cuts down on guests to guest contact in the buffet line..............Think about it?

You hand the server your plate, he puts on 2 pieces of ham on your plate, hands it back you. granted he is wearing gloves, the same gloves he  had on from the person before you that got 2 pieces of ham...............so he touched the same plate the guest before handed to the server, he then touched your plate, same gloves etc............this goes on and on down the buffet line.

In turn you may have 10 or so guests germs on your plate by the time you get to your table, all depends how many items you grab too in the buffet line.

Anyone following me after all of the above?

Servers in buffet line doesn't help that much at all.

Why is the server touching your plate? You hold it up and they place/drop the item on the plate.

Or they could have the plates the entire time and hand it to you after the food has been put on it. So you don't touch it until the end of the line. This is what DCL does for the breakfast buffet in the Dinning rooms.

• Like 2

The latest requirements are much more stringent than just buffets

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

• While the Order permits temporarily removing a mask for brief periods of time while eating or drinking, removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.
  • Ensure bathers wear masks while congregating outside of recreational water facilities (RWFs) and while seated on the pool deck area
  • Like 1

I just read an article where NCL CEO said there is no way they can be ready to sail by July.  That they need 90 days at least to get going.  I think they have already cancelled their July sailings.  

9 minutes ago, kleibo said:

The latest requirements are much more stringent than just buffets

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

• While the Order permits temporarily removing a mask for brief periods of time while eating or drinking, removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.
  • Ensure bathers wear masks while congregating outside of recreational water facilities (RWFs) and while seated on the pool deck area

In general, the CDC guidelines basically say "always assume everyone on the ship has covid"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

In general, the CDC guidelines basically say "always assume everyone on the ship has covid"

Yes, wrong assumption.  I, for one, will not spend money on a cruise if I have to wear a mask while sunning at the pool.  Hard pass.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kleibo said:

Yes, wrong assumption.  I, for one, will not spend money on a cruise if I have to wear a mask while sunning at the pool.  Hard pass.  

I hear you. We are okay with masks certain places but our hard pass and automatic cancellation is if they require masks on the pool deck. That's not our idea of a vacation. 

• Like 3

After reading all the restrictions, I'm thinking we may be cancelling our November cruise as I just don't think it will end by October.  We are taking our grown sons and grandson on their first cruise and just don't want them to experience it with all the restrictions.  Too much money to pay for 5 people to be so restricted.  😞   I'm still debating on what to do. 

• Like 1