Impact on Israel cruises?

gordylad

This was posted right now on the Israeli CC, according to the port authorities in Haifa:

Royal Caribbean has no plans to change cruise itineraries scheduled for Odyssey of the Seas out of Haifa, Israel due to escalating political tensions in the country.

Odyssey of the Seas is due to homeport in Haifa from June and sail week-long Mediterranean cruises visiting Cyprus and the Greek Isles, but those deployment plans were announced before a renewed spate of hostilities between Israel and Hamas.

At the time of writing, Odyssey of the Seas was en-route from Haifa to Limassol, Cyprus, but without any passengers onboard. The ship called in Haifa last month to take on new crew members, as well as to get crew members vaccinated.

She is due to return to the city before the end of May for additional training and vaccinations, before commencing her Israel cruise season on June 4th.

• Thanks 1

Someone just posted a link on the RC site that Odyssey has cancelled the Israel cruises and is going to Florida: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25011-royal-caribbean-expected-to-cancel-odyssey-s-israel-season-ship-to-move-to-u-s.html

I wonder what that means for the Apex cruises from Athens that visit Israel ports?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Someone just posted a link on the RC site that Odyssey has cancelled the Israel cruises and is going to Florida: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25011-royal-caribbean-expected-to-cancel-odyssey-s-israel-season-ship-to-move-to-u-s.html

I wonder what that means for the Apex cruises from Athens that visit Israel ports?

It will just find a new place to port or more seadays 

I am so sorry dani for the situation in your country.  I am still hoping there will be peace soon.  War is so ugly and destructive.  Keep safe.  I hope we will get to see your lovely country a little more than a year from now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

I am so sorry dani for the situation in your country.  I am still hoping there will be peace soon.  War is so ugly and destructive.  Keep safe.  I hope we will get to see your lovely country a little more than a year from now.

I totally agree with TeaBag.  We also have a cruise planned for this fall, along with another for fall of 2022. Dani, I am hoping for a truce and then peace ASAP.  You made it through Covid, then war raised its ugly head.  Stay safe and well...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparent conformation from RCL on Twitter

Royal Caribbean International has changed the course for its brand-new ship Odyssey of the Seas. Due to the unrest in Israel and the region, Odyssey has not been able to complete the preparations required to operate from Haifa as planned

It's too early to make a call on the Apex visits to Israel, they're all several weeks away and the situation may have calmed down. Heard it discussed on tv this morning that the Israelis may consider they have done enough for the moment - until the next time it flares up. There has to be a difference between basing a ship in Israel for a season and a ship sailing from Greece using Israel as a port of call which can be amended at short notice depending on the situation.

We're booked on the Reflection 16th September which calls at both Ashdod and Haifa. Those ports are the reason we booked the cruise. Final payment due in about 4 weeks. This is our third attempt for a cruise and wondering whether to give up now.

The 2014 Israel-Gaza conflict lasted about 7 weeks.

Assuming the same length on the present conflict, that would mean this could last into July, uncomfortably close to the first July 31 Apex sailing that includes Israel ports.

I'm on the Sep 25 Apex sailing.

I wonder if Celebrity decides to cancel Israel ports for the Jul 31 sailing, whether they would do the same for the remaining Apex sailings that include Israel?

13 minutes ago, Bouff said:

DAni, I do hope you are right.

5 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

The 2014 Israel-Gaza conflict lasted about 7 weeks.

You're comparing apples to oranges -- the 2014 conflict included ground forces. The schools were open and life continued as normal "inside" Israel.

Now the schools are closed and lots of people cannot work. This cannot continue much longer.

On 5/16/2021 at 1:04 AM, upwarduk said:

At least 3 Apex sailings would be effected; CelebrityCruises are very slow to announce their intentions.😱

C061175F-C53C-431D-A870-2C3068086B19.jpeg

6ACF2C2F-1E60-4D7D-9471-B93EEC707845.jpeg

2EFE920E-DD31-4640-89BD-2F255F322B20.jpeg

I'm booked on the July 31 Apex and doubt every day that it will even leave Athens.

You may leave Athens but you won’t be going to Israel.   Celebrity May substitute ports, at least to ones where they aren’t at war.    It’s a disappointment to you but think of the many lives being lost and destroyed and be thankful you are not there.

• Like 1

Follow up to Royal pulling the Odyssey from Israel to return to FL:

"A Royal Caribbean cruise ship had to make an unplanned stop off the Spanish island of Mallorca on Monday to drop off five crew members who tested positive for COVID-19.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/world/cruise-ship-stops-in-spain-to-drop-off-covid-infected-crew/2252686

• Thanks 1