Ventura recollections

sail1658

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I like them both but Azura  is my favourite because it was our first cruise. We have also done more cruises on Azura ( just co-incidence just right itinerary and time) It was also poor weather on Ventura the first time and that made the indoor pool area really crowded.

I think the weather has a lot to do with our likes and dislikes- we have never been back on Indy because of the wind and rain in Norway one year, so there was no entertainment on deck and it was crowded inside. Sadly, that was our experience with Azura, so we couldn't watch a film right through, nor use the pools as there was no cover.  She's really for good weather cruising, and is ideal for winter in the Caribbean.

Ventura's month cruises to the Carib and back are better for the first few/last few days because of having that covered pool and films in the theatre.

Otherwise, we find them pretty much the same. 🙂

• Like 1

Most of our cruises  have been on Ventura - we love(d) her,.  Fell out with her a bit when we had a specific incident onboard which was handled appallingly, but after a break  whilst we've sailed on Azura, Britannia and Oceanana , we are booked on her again for the 5 day new year cruise to Hamburg this year.   Seeing this, we can't wait to be onboard again. 

• Like 1

Just posted the next Ventura video of our day in Vigo, We had a short stroll into town and then followed the St Joseph's day parade. The school children and teachers were dressed as peasants and Napoleonic soldiers to celebrate the liberation of Vigo from the French in the Peninsular War. Then back to the ship for sail-away, followed by evening entertainment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing your memories and bringing back a few of ours.  Our first cruise was on Ventura in 2010 and so was our last in Feb 20.  We’ve cruised on her a couple of times in between, including a visit to Vigo.  We’re booked on her in October and are just hoping we get to go.

11 hours ago, zoe sproodle said:

Thanks for sharing your memories and bringing back a few of ours

4 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Thank you for such lovely videos.

I'm very happy to share these video memories and bring back memories for others until we can all have the chance to make more memories of our own - hopefully sooner rather than later!

• Like 2

I loved this video of Vigo!  It is a stop we really like and have been twice in the last four years.  Both times we caught a regular service bus from across the road and did a circular tour of the town for less than 2 euros each, before getting off and walking around the town and stopping for coffee.  We have another stop there planned for next year and I'm hoping so much that it happens.  Sometimes, it is just hard to believe that it might be possible once again 🤞

3 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Vigo!  It is a stop we really like

We always enjoy Vigo, and Galicia is a beautiful region of Spain which we'd never have discovered unless we'd been on cruises. We only walked into town on this occasion and ended up following the parade.

2 hours ago, sail1658 said:

We always enjoy Vigo, and Galicia is a beautiful region of Spain which we'd never have discovered unless we'd been on cruises. We only walked into town on this occasion and ended up following the parade.

I was in Vigo on Ventura one Palm Sunday. There was a large parade in the morning featuring inter alia religious effigies, hooded penitents and a marching band dressed (somewhat incongruosly) in dinner suits.

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0060 (2).jpg

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I loved this video of Vigo!  It is a stop we really like and have been twice in the last four years.  Both times we caught a regular service bus from across the road and did a circular tour of the town for less than 2 euros each, before getting off and walking around the town and stopping for coffee.  We have another stop there planned for next year and I'm hoping so much that it happens.  Sometimes, it is just hard to believe that it might be possible once again 🤞

2 hours ago, sail1658 said:

A lot of cruise pax don't seem to like Vigo but I agree with you and think it is a lovely, authentic small Spanish city.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Denarius said:

I was in Vigo on Ventura one Palm Sunday. There was a large parade in the morning featuring inter alia religious effigies, hooded penitents and a marching band dressed (somewhat incongruosly) in dinner suits.

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

I've spent quite a few Easters in Spain and still find the processions a bit creepy...

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, sail1658 said:

Just uploaded my next video - our day in Lisbon

41 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Love Lisbon and going under that bridge! Should have gone last October but my next cruise doesn’t go there sadly.

Great video Sail1658 we enjoyed seeing the sights with you .We unlike Sue managed to get

to Lisbon but as you can see from my video the heavens opened up and never gave up until 

it was almost time to sail. On the way back out to sea I managed to get a shot of a train that

was crossing the bridge, the "hum" of that bridge with the sound of the traffic was amazing .

I hope one day to go back and have the weather you had whilst filming .

Thanks for sharing the film :classic_smile: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, kalos said:

Great video Sail1658 we enjoyed seeing the sights with you .We unlike Sue managed to get

to Lisbon but as you can see from my video the heavens opened up and never gave up until 

it was almost time to sail. On the way back out to sea I managed to get a shot of a train that

was crossing the bridge, the "hum" of that bridge with the sound of the traffic was amazing .

I hope one day to go back and have the weather you had whilst filming .

Thanks for sharing the film :classic_smile: 

I’ve been twice Kalos I just missed out last year. Love that hum under the bridge, I really wasn’t sure we’d get under! From the top deck leaving Lisbon I’m sure most of us ducked 😃

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kalos said:

as you can see from my video the heavens opened up and never gave up until 

it was almost time to sail.

Such a shame, Kalos, for your Lisbon weather. We've always been fortunate with Lisbon and we were there at the exact same time as you but one year later. But our next port, Malaga was just as disappointing as your Lisbon weather, heavy rain. We didn't even bother to leave the ship.

• Like 1

Ah, lovely Lisbon - one of my favourite cities. I've been lucky enough to have visited several times on cruises and also for a long weekend. Generally had very good weather although on one cruise there was an absolute downpour as we left. There had also been torrential rain immediately before our weekend visit which caused flooding. It was great fun getting from the airport to the city as there was no public transport and the taxi had to keep trying different routes to avoid flooding! It was late November but the weather over the weekend was fabulous. I never tire of Lisbon.

• Like 3

Love the video's.

So how do you take your video's, when walking about the streets, camera, videocam,  phone, selfie stick, go pro?  I have no fancy for walking around with a selfie stick while videoing.  A friend who is an amateur photographer bought a cheap go pro, while his son bought the real deal and apparently the cheap version that he bought was just as good as the real one. We bought one while it was on special offer but haven't really used it. DH has the dslr camera, I have a small one that I can put in an evening bag. I have no idea how to use his and he only know a bit more than I do.

We have to laugh as when at Naples, we went on a tour and the bus was driving along the cliff edge. I was sat in the window seat and couldn't look out, so I had the camera in my hand and was taking photos while looking the other way. One of those photos has been blown up and is on our wall. There is a slight blur to it, but considering it was through a bus window without even looking at what was been taken, I don't think it's too bad.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, emam said:

So how do you take your video's,

Glad you enjoy the videos.

I don't use any selfie stick or any fancy equipment. I just use a Panasonic 4K HC-VX1 camcorder outdoors and around the ship. For inside the ship and restaurants etc., for ease of carrying I use a Nikon Coolpix compact camera and sometimes a Nikon KeyMission 80 action-cam. (It's supposedly waterproof, but I've never tested it out!) 

It's just a case of editing to get rid of the rubbish shots, eg - my feet as I walk along etc.!

• Like 2

On 5/20/2021 at 1:36 PM, Britboys said:

A lot of cruise pax don't seem to like Vigo but I agree with you and think it is a lovely, authentic small Spanish city.

One of our favourite ports and that nice young African lad will sell you a Rolex for 25 Euro.

• Haha 4

Thank you sail1658 and kalos for sharing the videos, which are both very good.  5.50 Euros for a pasta da nata to take away sounds a lot more than we usually pay, but if in central Lisbon with cruise ships in I can see why!  Love Lisbon, especially overnights when we can stay out until late the first day and have a good, local meal out.  Does P&O still provide shuttle buses for that docking location? 

We tend to go off on trains/trams/buses when in Lisbon and had some great times.  You can get a 24 hour pass and once we bought one about 11am, went off to Sintra and had a great time before having a snack, then returned to Lisbon where we had a meal uphill above the lift, then sauntered back to the ship about midnight after another drink at bar.  The next day the pass still worked, so we got the lift and trams uphill that side of the city again, then made our own way back on foot, taking out time.  I hope those sort of free times in port return soon, excursions only will be a real drag for those sort of destinations.

Sorry to hear about the rain kalos, we have always had dry weather there and called in a lot - usually on much longer cruises, though not always that warm as we tend to go off season.  Great vibe to the city. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

Just uploaded another port on this Ventura cruise - Gibraltar. We had a very short into town as we've been a number of times. Then back on board for the Great British Sail-away, Epicurean dining and various evening entertainers.  I've also included some photographs from a previous cruise when we went to the Top of the Rock.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2