What Does This Mean - Adventure from Nassau?

On 5/17/2021 at 5:14 PM, Ocean Boy said:

I would think that it is the Bahamian rules that they need to worry about. Unless, maybe they are hoping for some last minute way to move these cruises over to Florida?

I would think that that would be near impossible with flights already having been booked for Nassau.  Unless they were willing to eat a bunch airline change fees I would think that they are committed to The Bahamas for the summer.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I would think that that would be near impossible with flights already having been booked for Nassau.  Unless they were willing to eat a bunch airline change fees I would think that they are committed to The Bahamas for the summer.

I agree Dave.

19 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Apparently it hasn't stopped RCI from cancelling all of Vision's Bermuda summer sailings in anticipation of resuming U,S. operations.

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Apparently it hasn't stopped RCI from cancelling all of Vision's Bermuda summer sailings in anticipation of resuming U,S. operations.

Yeah, I thought of this post when I read that this morning.  Shows how much I know 🙂 

• Haha 1

I suspect the US cruise likely reopening explanation is not the real reason... if it was they would also cancel the Nassau cruises... I suspect the real reason is the high cost of provisioning a ship with food stuffs, the high cost for passengers to fly there and likely stay at a hotel... both of which are very expensive... say hotels we have stayed at priced around $500/night.... and then the government can be difficult to work with... Finally, while Bermuda gets lots of tourists...it is no longer reliant on tourism... since Hong Kong was turned back over to the Chinese, Bermuda has become a financial center with tourism just a small part of their economy... so they may not have been as cooperative to have thousands of tourists arrive with most just heading out on a ship.... vs Nassau..hit by several hurricanes over the years... eager for tourist dollars and close enough for easier provisioning of fresh fruits and veg.....

Although we have a cruise in August and still can not fill out our documents...soooo... need to wait a bit to see if cancelitis hits these cruises as well.... Bad idea to cancel... undermines confidence is cruise lines abitily to stick to a deal... it is one thing to cancel because of disease or violence...and another due to inconvenience or expense to the cruise line

• Like 3

I don't have a good feeling about the Nassau cruises happening this summer. Just too many delays with info regarding check-in and procedures.

Am still looking forward to our B/B in June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kearney said:

I suspect the US cruise likely reopening explanation is not the real reason... if it was they would also cancel the Nassau cruises... I suspect the real reason is the high cost of provisioning a ship with food stuffs, the high cost for passengers to fly there and likely stay at a hotel... both of which are very expensive... say hotels we have stayed at priced around $500/night.... and then the government can be difficult to work with... Finally, while Bermuda gets lots of tourists...it is no longer reliant on tourism... since Hong Kong was turned back over to the Chinese, Bermuda has become a financial center with tourism just a small part of their economy... so they may not have been as cooperative to have thousands of tourists arrive with most just heading out on a ship.... vs Nassau..hit by several hurricanes over the years... eager for tourist dollars and close enough for easier provisioning of fresh fruits and veg.....

It won't be easy or inexpensive to provision out of Nassau either. Everything still has to ship in. Just because its a day or two closer, doesn't mean all that much

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

A Bermuda homeport is night and day different than a Bahamas homeport.

Why is that? RCCL has no terminal in Nassau. They are spending $$$$ weekly to use the Hilton ballroom as a check-in location and shuttling thousands of people down the street to the ship. They have to bring provisions in from the States. It is a very low margin way to start

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Why is that? RCCL has no terminal in Nassau. They are spending $$$$ weekly to use the Hilton ballroom as a check-in location and shuttling thousands of people down the street to the ship. They have to bring provisions in from the States. It is a very low margin way to start

RC is sinking a lot of money into the Bahamas.  This time next year Nassau will have one of the nicest cruise terminals that RC homeports at. And supply chain issues that'll exist this summer won't be an issue next year.

Bermuda was desperation.

Edited by smokeybandit

It's all rumor.... but what I've heard.

1)  RCI is using Adventure as a "test cruise" example to the CDC,  showing what they can and will do in the US, and so they want Adventure to mirror US requirements. Basically telling the CDC we'll be able to do some US based test cruises but also we'll have Adventure as an even more real world example.   So they're making sure they and CDC are on the same page about the protocols they'll be testing on Adventure.

2)  The want to ensure the PR is good, they know if Adventure starts up and things go poorly medically, they're sinking their shots at getting the US open soon.  and if the restrictions are too much passengers will spread the word and it will hurt sales.

I don't doubt all the supply chain issues and the port and the money and all of that......   but the above argument caught my attention.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

he want to ensure the PR is good, they know if Adventure starts up and things go poorly medically, they're sinking their shots at getting the US open soon. 

Feedback from Adventure (assuming she sails on schedule) will be too late for the proposed summer season start up.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Feedback from Adventure (assuming she sails on schedule) will be too late for the proposed summer season start up.

But maybe soon enough, if it goes well, to encourage passengers to book.  Having a successful startup is good for cruising, regardless of all the back and forth discussion 

1 hour ago, 3kidsncats said:

Having a successful startup is good for cruising, regardless of all the back and forth discussion 

RCI restarted 6 months ago with Quantum - the success of restarting was not really in doubt, well, maybe it was, with the cruise deniers.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

RCI restarted 6 months ago with Quantum - the success of restarting was not really in doubt, well, maybe it was, with the cruise deniers.

You seriously think the success of Covid cruising protocols with only residents of Singapore is comparable to how it could be with “I need my freedom” Americans?  I have friends who live in Singapore, and from what they tell me, and what I know from my husband traveling there for work; I would say it is not a functional comparison as to how the protocols will succeed here in the US.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

You seriously think the success of Covid cruising protocols with only residents of Singapore is comparable to how it could be with “I need my freedom” Americans?

No, but the overall idea that the cruiselines (wherever they sail) want no issues applies - they'll do whatever it takes to try to keep off the media headlines - which has mostly succeeded worldwide.

Biker, who does foresee a headline of someone on some ship being denied boarding at some port for violating some COVID protocol.

4 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

You seriously think the success of Covid cruising protocols with only residents of Singapore is comparable to how it could be with “I need my freedom” Americans?  I have friends who live in Singapore, and from what they tell me, and what I know from my husband traveling there for work; I would say it is not a functional comparison as to how the protocols will succeed here in the US.  

Its like totally two different worlds. How pwestern protocols are very strict and burecritized. I doubt they have the same in Singapore 

10 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

RC is sinking a lot of money into the Bahamas.  This time next year Nassau will have one of the nicest cruise terminals that RC homeports at. And supply chain issues that'll exist this summer won't be an issue next year.

Bermuda was desperation.

I want some of what you're smokin'

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Its like totally two different worlds. How pwestern protocols are very strict and burecritized. I doubt they have the same in Singapore 

Yes, it’s like two different worlds, that part is correct.  The rest of it is either an attempt at humor or a display of complete ignorance, really not sure which.