Royal vs the other cruise lines

On 5/28/2021 at 7:27 AM, ericfromri said:

while it has some real natural beauty, their are just to many maniacs driving.  so crazy

You should try Florida. Talking about crazy drivers.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 7:06 PM, ericfromri said:

on some royal cruises , the military discounts could be 100's or nothing.  i got 450 off on an anthem cruise 4 years ago.

True about Royals military discount. It’s a hit or miss.

For some background on me, I have Diamond status with Royal Caribbean. In 2016, we decided to do a cruise with friends who had an opening in their schedules.  We had only two weeks to book a cruise.  NCL offered the best price and included a drink package, so we booked the Escape out of Miami.  Once onboard, we did a tour of the spa area and were bowled over by the Mandara Spa Thermal Suite.  While the weekly pass to the spa cost an additional $400 per couple, the thermal suite experience made us loyal NCL enthusiasts. We absolutely loved the Freestyle dining experience and discovered that the food in the main dining rooms was on par with Royal Caribbean.  (Of course, others will disagree, as food is so subjective.)

NCL has an another edge over Royal Caribbean because of several complimentary dining venues.  I cannot compare non complimentary dining options, as I have not eaten at any on either lines.  The Manhattan Room, one of the three main dining rooms on certain ships, offers a dining room experience not found on Royal Caribbean.  On certain days, live music is played during dinner, and diners are able to take a break from eating and dance if the spirit moves.

Shows in the NCL theaters were of the same quality as found on Royal Caribbean, but Royal has an edge because of the live music during the performances.  NCL, in my opinion, has better overall entertainment on the ships that have the Cavern nightspot, as Beatles tribute bands play there almost every night.  If one is not a Beatles fan, this would not be important.    Although the Atrium on the NCL ships get crowded, the variety of audience participation game shows In that area, is a welcome change.

Other factors where NCL holds a distinct advantage are the Waterfront and Spice H2O.  These two areas are only found on certain ships.  When we weren't in the thermal suite, we were enjoying either the Waterfront or Spice.  If the main pool experience is a must, then NCL is not a good choice, as their main pool is small and the area surrounding it overcrowded and loud.

If one likes beer, then NCL is a must as certain ships have The District Brewhouse.  This venue had over ninety different beers available with a sizable number on tap, and most all were included in the basic drink package.  Nothing remotely similar is available on Royal.  I rate the service on both lines equally.   While I think Royal Caribbean ships are beautiful, and the Promenade is unmatched, I haven't sailed with Royal Caribbean since finding NCL.  If future Royal Caribbean ships have an area similar to the Mandara Thermal Suites, I would sail the line again.  Until then, NCL is the choice, but only on certain ships.

• Like 1

We love the Regal Princess....  It has everything we appreciate...  The great Piazza, the Sanctuary, etc...  Without all of the cheesy plastic 'theme park' stuff.    IMHO, the newer Princess ships have made bad design changes...  Obliterated the adult pool area, added cabins, etc....

We see a truly AMAZING itinerary on the Odyssey of the Seas...  

Great brand new ship!

But after looking at everything onboard, and the very first videos of the ship put out by some staff...

I am calling it the "oddity of the seas".   It has a lot of lame stuff that I would have no interest in...  (a giant ball on a lift/crane), and none of the things that I would appreciate.  Piazza, altenative specialty restaurants that are actually 'nice' with a decent more upscale atmosphere...  (Who designed Giovanni's anyhow???)

It all comes down to personal preference!!!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

I do think that more recently, especially on the larger and newer Princess ships,  that Princess has improved the entertainment.  On our last cruise, there was a great Classic Rock concert/performance in the Piazza.  Great Jazz music in one of the bars. (Wheelhouse???).   When possible they will bring speakers and entertainment onboard at port, to bring the local experience.  Alaska, Russia, Hawaii, etc...

Unfortunately, yes, the Regal is the last to get the new beds.   (I do not forgive Princess for this...  totally unacceptable.).  But, hopefully, all cabins have new beds when they start sailing again!

If I am picking up on here that Princess probably beats RCI on food,  then that would also be a factor for me.  I will just admit that I am kind of demanding on what goes into my body.  I am one of those who just can't do a lot of lower quality 'processed' stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NightOne said:

Yes, but their passengers don't talk about it every 5 minutes. 🙂

Good one, but in our comparisons, the Princess loyalty program is not as good as Royal Caribbean's.  Of course, we don't know how any of this is going to end up being when cruising resumes.  We loved the Royal and Celebrity hosted happy hours, but they may not be able to do those any more and that would put Princess slightly ahead.

I haven’t seen Disney Cruise Lines mentioned yet.  We went on once and enjoyed it but have not gone back yet.  Maybe when the grandkids are older.  I thought the food was good.  One difference in the evening meals is that they move your eating venue around so you have a different experience.  The lunch buffet had crab legs every day.  The entertainment was good but all Disney.  One night they had a fireworks 💥 display.  
All though we enjoyed it we haven’t been back because of the cost.  Disney cruises are usually about 50% more than other cruises when we look.  Also, if you are not an over the top Disney fan you can get burned out on it by the end of the cruise.  

• Like 1

We went on a Disney Cruise, back when our son was young, on the first Disney ship.

Got a good fare, off season.  Still had a wonderful cruise and wonderful weather.

It was AMAZING!!!

But, yes, they are now priced way out of our league.

Our son is grown.

And, with so much of the major entertainment being 'Disney'...

I think it is hard to compare cruise lines without taking a lot of factors into consideration.

On ANY line, how long it has been since one cruised, the ship. (new old small huge).

The Itinerary....

We have been on the CORAL Princess to Alaska, a few years ago.

And The REGAL princess, on Caribbean itineraries.

Same line.  Huge differences....  Both in the ships, and in the changes made, between these sailings.

Food and service were much better on the CORAL, years ago.

This ship was the first to get the new beds.  We had a new cabin with a new bed. that was wonderful!

STILL had an old, awful, bed last time on the REGAL.

Changes to food and service seemed like cutbacks.

But, of course, everything else on the REGAL was much, much, better than the older and smaller CORAL.

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

think it is hard to compare cruise lines without taking a lot of factors into consideration.

On ANY line, how long it has been since one cruised, the ship. (new old small huge).

If Majesty would of been my only RC trip I would have a totally different view of RC.

We've cruised with Celebrity, Royal and Princess.  Celebrity is tops for MDR & buffet food.  Princess had nice options but the cheapest veggies, i.e. corn and zucchini with every meal.  Been on Vision of the Seas in 2013 for a Med cruise where the food was bad throughout.  On the after survey, we gave the food a big fat ZERO.  Same ship in 2015 on a Baltic trip and the food was much improved and the buffet had many more options.   Princess International Cafe is good on the ships that have it.

Celebrity & Royal have theaters that will hold half the passengers.  Princess seats 800 people for 2500 passengers.  You are expected to fan out to other options.   Shows are variable on all ships, but I feel they are better on Celebrity.   Royal's Centrum has great activities after dinner.  Princess often has afternoon activities in their Centrum.  

We are booked on Symphony for next January because DH saw the video and has to experience it.  This is a replacement cruise to one we missed in Feb-20 due to DH ending up in the ER on our flight day.  Not Covid, thank goodness but bad enough to have him worked up for cardiac issues.  Everything was fine and we had insurance which took care of everything.

On 6/1/2021 at 3:23 PM, shofer said:

Princess International Cafe is good on the ships that have it.

---

Princess has the excellent 24-hour International Cafe on all its ships now except Island Princess and Diamond Princess.

---

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Like 1

After flirting with a few different lines early on we settled on Royal Caribbean mainly because of the great evening entertainment but to be honest also recently because of the diamond perks .  It's interesting to read the positive comments on Princess and I think we will definitely be more open to other cruise lines once we start cruising again .  I notice on this summer's sailcations from Southampton  Princess and Cunard seem cheaper than Royal Caribbean.  Both have guest speakers on board which I really like and on Princess you can get premier drink package, WiFi and tips for just £30 pppd

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 7:43 AM, ericfromri said:

if you read all the comments, those that you question would make sense...

I did read all the comments. I wasn’t questioning anyone. I believe when they say traffic is crazy where they are saying it is. I was also adding Florida to that list. I’m confused by your comment.🤷🏼‍♀️

On 5/24/2021 at 11:19 PM, George C said:

We have not done Princess recently but it’s a good line , my big complaint is they seem so crowded they added cabins and there theater and other areas of the ship are just too crowded, could not get seats for some of the shows and actually saw a fight over saving seats in theater . They do have really good pizza. 

The best pizza is on Royal.

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Correct but I have been on six cruise lines and of those RCL is the best.

I have been on70 cruises on above a dozen lines and rccl is the worst , I grew up with Italian food and also had great pizza in Naples and find it hard to believe anyone who lived in New York would think rccl pizza is good. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The best pizza is on Royal.

Idk Carnival has some really good pizza as well as Princess

Sometimes Ncl has some really good pizza and other times taste like frozen 

42 minutes ago, George C said:

I have been on70 cruises on above a dozen lines and rccl is the worst , I grew up with Italian food and also had great pizza in Naples and find it hard to believe anyone who lived in New York would think rccl pizza is good. 

Hey George, you live in Dallas Tx, where do you find a good pie there?

When we sailed wit you, we were in Houston, only found one god pizza place and our local Round table in CA is better

Never had pizza from NY but Pizza is subjective

Sometimes a deep dish Chicago style is good or a quick thin crust California style or even an east coast version depends on my mood

But I guess in SF, we are spoiled with Tony Gemignani and all the different styles of pizzas he does

No cruise ship can compare to that

On 5/30/2021 at 10:57 AM, lexxfield said:

If one likes beer, then NCL is a must as certain ships have The District Brewhouse.  This venue had over ninety different beers available with a sizable number on tap, and most all were included in the basic drink package.  

If you ever find yourself on Carnival, the Red Frog is good.

Here is another difference. Carnival and NCL have already announced their plans for July sailings where Royal has not. 

Make of that what you will but to me it shows that NCL and Carnival value their loyal customers and respect them more than Royal does with their paying customers

• Like 1