Are mask required onboard?

P.A.

It's a proven fact that the direction the decisions are headed change like the weather or which way the political wind is blowing.  It will all work out and now it's time to be questioning what should I be packing for the next voyage.

• Like 1

Really no reason to wear a mask at all now. There is no difference in walking around and sitting down in indoor spaces. This nonsense of walking to a table with a mask but removing it for the next hour is just insane. Anyone who is vaccinated should no longer worry about it, or who else is not wearing it. Trust the science!!!

• Like 6

Just now, Nerkbuck said:

Really no reason to wear a mask at all now. There is no difference in walking around and sitting down in indoor spaces. This nonsense of walking to a table with a mask but removing it for the next hour is just insane. Anyone who is vaccinated should no longer worry about it, or who else is not wearing it. Trust the science!!!

But the science tells us that the unvaccinated should be fully masked. If I walk around without one, even though I am fully vaccinated, and those around me are not and still choose not to wear a mask, then I'm exposing myself needlessly. The vaccine is not 100% effective, but I'm counting on the fact that should I be exposed, I'll be less likely to be hospitalized and/or die from it. So I, personally, do find myself worrying about those around me. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TinaLee said:

But the science tells us that the unvaccinated should be fully masked. If I walk around without one, even though I am fully vaccinated, and those around me are not and still choose not to wear a mask, then I'm exposing myself needlessly. The vaccine is not 100% effective, but I'm counting on the fact that should I be exposed, I'll be less likely to be hospitalized and/or die from it. So I, personally, do find myself worrying about those around me. 

The vaccine will protect you from dying. You never question people about their TB, whooping cough, polio, or measles vaccinations do you? They are just as critical.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Nerkbuck said:

The vaccine will protect you from dying. You never question people about their TB, whooping cough, polio, or measles vaccinations do you? They are just as critical.

And if they went to school in the US then they have been mandated to have those vaccines. If they are visiting from another country where the diseases are prevalent, they also have to be vaccinated against them before they can visit the US... so, no, I don't worry as much about them. I have also been vaccinated against them all, including an extra whooping cough when my granddaughter was born. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TinaLee said:

. So I, personally, do find myself worrying about those around me. 

And the worrying is likely causing you more harm than what the virus might do to you.  At best, unless you're wearing a perfectly fitted 95 mask, the mask won't do much to protect you.  It supposedly works better capturing what one exhales.. this is in respect to Covid.  Even then it's debatable.  If you think otherwise, just look at people wearing glasses and watch them fog up.  So you think the mask is doing that much good?  I know if I was so afraid of infection, I would not rely on these flimsy masks to protect me.  I worked in the chemical industry, and these masks are questionable to protect inhalation.  

Then watch most people wearing a mask.  Almost all touch it and rearrange it frequently.  Even more when they are talking.  So now the mask may collect who knows what and it's on ones fingers.  Go figure.

Get vaccinated and enjoy life!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Grego said:

It's a proven fact that the direction the decisions are headed change like the weather or which way the political wind is blowing.

Empirical data is not a fact.

And, what is 'a proven fact'?

Can there be an unproven 'fact'?

51 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Empirical data is not a fact.

And, what is 'a proven fact'?

Can there be an unproven 'fact'?

Of course there are unproven facts.

For instance, the earth did not start revolving around the sun only when scientists realized that that is what was happening as opposed to the sun revolving around the earth.

As NASA send probes to the moon, or Mars, or Venus, they will find facts. And those will still be factually true before they are discovered/ 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redwing55 said:

Get vaccinated and enjoy life!

I am, thanks. I meant I worried about unvaccinated people around me going maskless, not that I thought me wearing a mask was protecting me. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nerkbuck said:

small correction: you can't catch polio from another person, unless you touch their feces and then put your hand in your mouth. YUCK!🥵

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

small correction: you can't catch polio from another person, unless you touch their feces and then put your hand in your mouth. YUCK!🥵

Interestingly, that is exactly how norovirus is transmitted.

@Nerkbuck, @Redwing55, @ALWAYS CRUZIN:  I am with you on the masks.  I have been wearing them only when forced or wish to avoid arguing with people.  It's all for show now. 

I see so many walking outdoors on their own with them and makes me wonder if we will return to normal here before another year is up.  

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 3

On 6/2/2021 at 4:41 AM, TinaLee said:

I think you're most likely right on these guidelines. I would anticipate we will have to wear a mask in the port terminal before boarding due to crowds. I do wonder if anyone has any word if these first 10 Alaska voyages are going to be capacity limited in any way? As in, you can remove your mask in the theater and be okay, but probably not if the theater is 100% full and elbow-to-elbow? I haven't heard anything about capacity limits, but I'm curious if the ships will be a bit less crowded for these first few at least. 

My PVP stated that the early Alaska sailings will require masks in some areas, such as elevators, public areas where there are crowds and when embarking and when in the ports.  How long you will have to wear them in port will depend largely upon their rules and restrictions.  

She also stated that the early sailings will be capacity controlled, although, she didn't put a percentage to it.  I noticed that very early on in the bookings, there were no inside cabins available.  Not sure if they were just all booked but my guess is that the crew may be occupying some of those cabins.  

She also stated that their 5% capacity of unvaccinated passengers (those that are under 12, is it?) had been reached in the early bookings.  So, these sailings will probably have relatively few young children on it, even though they are starting up in the summer month.  5% of an already reduced capacity at that.  So, if these early sailings on have 2000 passengers (that's just a guess on my part), that's only 100 younger kids.  

Can't wait to see how it all pans out.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

My PVP stated that the early Alaska sailings will require masks in some areas, such as elevators, public areas where there are crowds and when embarking and when in the ports.  How long you will have to wear them in port will depend largely upon their rules and restrictions.  

She also stated that the early sailings will be capacity controlled, although, she didn't put a percentage to it.  I noticed that very early on in the bookings, there were no inside cabins available.  Not sure if they were just all booked but my guess is that the crew may be occupying some of those cabins.  

She also stated that their 5% capacity of unvaccinated passengers (those that are under 12, is it?) had been reached in the early bookings.  So, these sailings will probably have relatively few young children on it, even though they are starting up in the summer month.  5% of an already reduced capacity at that.  So, if these early sailings on have 2000 passengers (that's just a guess on my part), that's only 100 younger kids.  

Some are booking at 100% capacity now. Wonder how many times the so called rules will change by the time any cruise line starts normal cruises. Not test cruises.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Some are booking at 100% capacity now. Wonder how many times the so called rules will change by the time any cruise line starts normal cruises. Not test cruises.

Could be ... 

I was just repeating what my PVP told me for the early Alaska sailings on the Majestic Princess.  Plus, I found that information to be supported by no inside cabins being available.  As mentioned, we will see how it all pans out.  

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 4:41 AM, TinaLee said:

I think you're most likely right on these guidelines. I would anticipate we will have to wear a mask in the port terminal before boarding due to crowds. I do wonder if anyone has any word if these first 10 Alaska voyages are going to be capacity limited in any way? As in, you can remove your mask in the theater and be okay, but probably not if the theater is 100% full and elbow-to-elbow? I haven't heard anything about capacity limits, but I'm curious if the ships will be a bit less crowded for these first few at least. 

As an aside, I just read that buffets in Las Vegas have been reopened.  No masks required for those that are vaccinated.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Of course there are unproven facts.

For instance, the earth did not start revolving around the sun only when scientists realized that that is what was happening as opposed to the sun revolving around the earth.

I would describe those as ideas hypothesis or posits.

From the OED: fact: a thing that is known or proved to be true.

"unproven fact" is self-contradictory.

On 6/2/2021 at 9:08 AM, TinaLee said:

No need to get snippish - some of those questions can be answered, especially the first 4 you raise. I think people are asking here because they think perhaps they have just missed seeing the guidance and are wondering if anyone else has read something they might have missed. And as a side, if you think it is easy to "convince" an anti-vaxx friend or family member to get the vaccine when they do not want to then you are deluded. Don't assume we haven't been trying all along, and not for the reason of cruising, but for the sake of their health. 

Well said.

7 hours ago, TinaLee said:

I think everyone if they are honest agree with what you said.  You have done what you needed to do, but others have not and you can still get it and be tested positive and off the ship.  I am for full vaccines all around.  We didn't want to do it but bit that bullet because we wanted to cruise.  Anyone who wants to cruise needs to do it...no difference than getting a passport to cruise.

7 hours ago, TinaLee said:

And, I am just thinking in my little mind....how do you patrol that...can't get people to wash their hands after going to the bathroom...or before going to the buffet.  Is the mask control police going to be out, I don't think so.  Better vaccines all around.  It is the price of cruising.  Plus, it protects the cruise lines from having to come back to port and all the passengers missing part of their cruise.  

I am for rights for sure.  Everyone has a choice to get vaccinated or not or not to cruise.  Sad thing is many don't think about protecting everyone else.  

If everyone is vaccinated, no masks... like that...there is no way to patrol who and who is not vaccinated.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mellon1 said:

I think everyone if they are honest agree with what you said.  You have done what you needed to do, but others have not and you can still get it and be tested positive and off the ship.  I am for full vaccines all around.  We didn't want to do it but bit that bullet because we wanted to cruise.  Anyone who wants to cruise needs to do it...no difference than getting a passport to cruise.

Well said. My wife and I had the covid19 and beat it. Now having antibodies. We also received both shots of the Pfizer vaccine. According to what I ahve read recently. If you had the covid19, one shoe of the vaccine has the same protection as someone that has not got the covid19 and received both shots. So I would think, however I do not know for sure. We should be well protected. Wearing the mask really does not bother me that much. However, on a cruise. it would. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Well said. My wife and I had the covid19 and beat it. Now having antibodies. We also received both shots of the Pfizer vaccine. According to what I ahve read recently. If you had the covid19, one shoe of the vaccine has the same protection as someone that has not got the covid19 and received both shots. So I would think, however I do not know for sure. We should be well protected. Wearing the mask really does not bother me that much. However, on a cruise. it would. 

Good for you that you survived covid!  According to our doctor this is not something you want to get if you have any pre-existing issues, or be on a ship.  Princess needs to protect its crew and passengers...vaccines all around.  I believe in freedom and rights; however, I do not want to be the reason someone dies or gets sick.  I would think all Americans would feel that way.  Everyone on board would have that good warm fuzzy feeling that everyone had the vaccine.  If not, everyone will be looking at each other, like, did you get the vaccine or not?  Just my opinion.  Fear is terrible and does not come from good, thus, this is what the China virus has done to all of us.  We were on the ship in February 2020 and a gal said she was going home to China, said her family got the vaccine and she would get it when she got home.   Ummmmmmmm....they knew.  I wondered how that could be but she assured me it was true.

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

My guess is that they are capacity controlling by not selling the least expensive cabins.

• Like 1