Soft Shell Crabs Availability???

Bo1953

3 hours ago, lobsternight said:

Only had them once, not on a cruise but a Gulf Coast road trip in the late 90s. They were so good, but I could not keep them down, the unfortunate aftermath of eating gas station frog legs the day before. 

Methinks they either may not have been frogs legs or possibly not soft shell crabs???

Have you tried either since then or are they off the list of must eats?

bon appetite and bon voyage

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

Methinks they either may not have been frogs legs or possibly not soft shell crabs???

Have you tried either since then or are they off the list of must 

Oh they definitely were what they were.  I would try the soft shell crab again.  We eat a lot of crab that we catch, mostly Dungeness, and fresh is always the key.  

Fortunately the gas station frog legs did not put me off those.  Had crispy frog legs on X a few times now and hope to again next cruise.  Now if only they would serve alligator on a stick.  

Bo, never seen them on any cruise line including premium and luxury ones, if your friends are making this a condition to take a cruise they are no really wanting to cruise, Leave them home and enjoy the cruise.

They are offered in Blu.  The first time I had them they were fantastic.  On the next cruise they were sopping with grease and were terrible.  I tried them again on another cruise and they were burnt to crisp like being taken from the dregs of the deep fryer.   Never ordered them again but they were on the menu in Blu.   It was only one night so don’t know if I would book a cruise just for that.  

Blu also had Sweet Bread.   The couple next to us were in Heaven about that being on the menu.   They raved about how fantastic it was.   I ordered it and glad I didn’t have to pay for it.    Don’t understand why the delicacies that people crave are frog legs, brains, snails, pancreas, and etc.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

2 hours ago, miched said:

Blu also had Sweet Bread.   The couple next to us were in Heaven about that being on the menu.   They raved about how fantastic it was.   I ordered it and glad I didn’t have to pay for it.    Don’t understand why the delicacies that people crave are frog legs, brains, snails, pancreas, and etc.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We tried Sweet Bread and I wasn't impressed. They taste a lot like liver but I like liver better. 

One of the things we like about cruising is the ability to try new food and, if we don't like it, get something else. 

10 hours ago, miched said:

They are offered in Blu.  The first time I had them they were fantastic.  On the next cruise they were sopping with grease and were terrible.  I tried them again on another cruise and they were burnt to crisp like being taken from the dregs of the deep fryer.   Never ordered them again but they were on the menu in Blu.   It was only one night so don’t know if I would book a cruise just for that.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We all have our own tastes and food is also different in different countries and cultures.  It reminds me of our Australia cruise.  I was eager to try vegemite after all my life listening to the song Down Under by Men At Work.   I only tried it once.  That was more than enough for me.  I'll take peanut butter any day!😊.  Sorry no offense intended to our Aussie friends!

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We all have our own tastes and food is also different in different countries and cultures.  It reminds me of our Australia cruise.  I was eager to try vegemite after all my life listening to the song Down Under by Men At Work.   I only tried it once.  That was more than enough for me.  I'll take peanut butter any day!😊.  Sorry no offense intended to our Aussie friends!

We cruised with some awesome Aussies who brought some vegemite along so we could taste it.  Not my cup of tea, but at least I got to try it.  Must be an acquired taste.  We have a new Aussie cafe in town which sells vegimite.  We all passed on that, but their food was awesome!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Another  would be Haggis, and Kibbeh.   Being Polish German descent my grandmother would make Czernina.   I couldn’t stomach it but my relatives would fight over it.   I worked and lived with many ethnic groups and got a chance to try a lot of different foods.   Some were fantastic and others not so good but when you were hungry and that is all you had to eat you ate it and it became a tradition.   It is great that people could make scraps turn into something that tasted good.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

That is like the first taste of poi at an Hawaiian luau . There is a reason why there are usually only the smallest of condiment cups available of the stuff.