FDR-38million dollar man

zoncom

9 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

We are probably about half way through a PANdemic due to vaccine supply shortage in the majority of countries around the World. Also large logistical problems in many.

All the cruise lines which are attempting to start back up this year are attempting to get qualified and vaccinated crew from around the world onto their ships.

Often from countries where the PANdemic is still very much in control.

This is an enormous and difficult task at this time of vaccine and vaccination delivery problems.

DETAILS DETAILS

We do not need no stinking  details  😄

just like the fine print ..who reads them 😃

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, marieps said:

Susie and I, also affected by the Sirena cancellations, are just looking for a more specific reason why the ship is starting so late.  Speaking for myself, I'm not saying it's not justified...would just like to know the bigger picture in a bit more detail than "it's due to COVID."

Well  getting crew  from areas that are affect by covid  like INDIA  where thousand a day are infected

is that a good reason

it takes time to restock & start up the ships  is that a good reason

The CDC  had  not yet OK's d sailing from  the USA   AFAIK   is that a good reason

I know  with some people it is all about them 🙄

BTW  we are still in lockdown  here in Ontario  cannot even shop for NON essential stuff  or get  a haircut

it  is all about me

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Well  getting crew  from areas that are affect by covid  like INDIA  where thousand a day are infected

is that a good reason

it takes time to restock & start up the ships  is that a good reason

The CDC  had  not yet OK's d sailing from  the USA   AFAIK   is that a good reason

I know  with some people it is all about them 🙄

All are good reasons.  They are also unconfirmed by O...which is simply what Susie and I were looking for.  Your last bit is simply uncalled for.  As I stated earlier, I in no way suggest the Sirena late start is unjustified, it's just not fully explained to those who had hoped to sail her. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, marieps said:

All are good reasons.  They are also unconfirmed by O...which is simply what Susie and I were looking for.  Your last bit is simply uncalled for.  As I stated earlier, I in no way suggest the Sirena late start is unjustified, it's just not fully explained to those who had hoped to sail her. 

It will take one case of COVID on ANY line to ruin that line and potentially the whole industry - maybe Oceania is being extra cautious. I am sure I would feel aggrieved if it were the cruise I was booked onto, but it wouldn’t stop me understanding the fundamental dangers that this starting of cruising entails for a lot of people’s livelihoods. 

I think careful and cautious is an excellent way to be in a pandemic. 

18 minutes ago, ToxM said:

It will take one case of COVID on ANY line to ruin that line and potentially the whole industry - maybe Oceania is being extra cautious. I am sure I would feel aggrieved if it were the cruise I was booked onto, but it wouldn’t stop me understanding the fundamental dangers that this starting of cruising entails for a lot of people’s livelihoods. 

I totally agree with you.  I don't doubt the logisticians at all the cruise lines are working tirelessly to balance safety, crew availability and gov't regs over an ever changing landscape. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marieps said:

As I stated earlier, I in no way suggest the Sirena late start is unjustified, it's just not fully explained to those who had hoped to sail her. 

My TA had 60 people booked on our Dec 1st Sirena.  She did ask why and was told it was a staffing issue.  I'm disappointed but not surprised. As well as the situation in India and considering the number of cruise lines that are starting back before O, I imagine they may have lost some staff who chose to sign on with the cruise lines that said they were opening first.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

This. ^

I like companies I do business with to be honest about why they change policies, cancel bookings, and then when the unexpected happens work with customers to make them satisfied and wanting to come back and do business with them again. As regards my December Sirena cruise cancellation, Oceania did not treat me very well. All I got was a refund of my deposit . That's it. No offer to put me on a different cruise either on Riviera or later in this winter season on Sirena. All I got was a brusque letter saying we are cancelling your cruise and refunding your deposit in 60 days. Buh bye. So I will be cruising in December, just not with Oceania.

Be happy that Oceania refunded your money. I have fcc from a stuck at sea March 2020 cruise. That cruise should’ve never sailed.  We skipped most ports, most venues on ship closed, etc. it was the worst cruise ever.  Requested the refund for skipped ports.  Oceania wouldn’t refund that money. Claimed that we never paid port charges.  Gave us some fcc.  I didn’t pursue it since those port charges are not much.  It was wrong.  Enjoy your December cruise.  

12 hours ago, susiesan said:

The pandemic is mostly over in the US,

Ya think? You do know the state we live in has less than 40% of the population vaccinated. It's still very much here, just not as much news coverage, everyone is going back to normal. With over 60% unvaccinated we'll see how well that works out. I read in the paper just today the ages of the people in the local hospital with covid, mid 30's to 50's, over half on ventilators. 

1 hour ago, marieps said:

As I stated earlier, I in no way suggest the Sirena late start is unjustified, it's just not fully explained to those who had hoped to sail her. 

They do not have to explain in detail the reasons

They have changed the schedule  for whatever reason

Common sense  tells you there could be logistical reasons concerning staffing  etc..

11 minutes ago, ORV said:

Ya think? You do know the state we live in has less than 40% of the population vaccinated. It's still very much here, just not as much news coverage, everyone is going back to normal. With over 60% unvaccinated we'll see how well that works out. I read in the paper just today the ages of the people in the local hospital with covid, mid 30's to 50's, over half on ventilators. 

Plus 1. 

Living in an adjoining State to ORV, our vaccination rates aren’t much higher. Our local government’s biggest fear is that another wave may hit late this Fall, primarily affecting the antivaxers, resulting in a new lockdown. We are no where near herd immunity and the anti-vaxers don’t care.

Edited by pinotlover

9 minutes ago, ORV said:

I agree

Some Americans think because they are fully vaccinated  the whole world is open to them

In Canada  65%  have at least  1 shot   5%  are fully vaccinated

Businesses want to reopen while they still can

I just want a haircut  😉

1 hour ago, ToxM said:

+ 1

last thought here

Who cares what he makes

I am sure if those in charge  did not think he was worth the amount his contract would be terminated

JMO

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

My TA had 60 people booked on our Dec 1st Sirena.  She did ask why and was told it was a staffing issue.  I'm disappointed but not surprised. As well as the situation in India and considering the number of cruise lines that are starting back before O, I imagine they may have lost some staff who chose to sign on with the cruise lines that said they were opening first.

That was nice of your TA, on behalf of her/his clients, to seek further information.  Also thoughtful of you to share.  See you on Riviera.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

last thought here

Who cares what he makes

I am sure if those in charge  did not think he was worth the amount his contract would be terminated

JMO

Hang on.  "JMO."  So you are entitled to your opinion (of course you are), but others are "all about themselves" for stating theirs?  BTW,  FDR wouldn't be terminated, he'd be offered less.   Jeez.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ToxM said:

maybe Oceania is being extra cautious. I am sure I would feel aggrieved if it were the cruise I was booked onto, but it wouldn’t stop me understanding the fundamental dangers that this starting of cruising entails for a lot of people’s livelihoods. 

Whilst I agree with this part of your post above, I'm not so sure about the part below....

1 hour ago, ToxM said:

It will take one case of COVID on ANY line to ruin that line and potentially the whole industry ......

I am hopeful (perhaps naively so) that assuming a cruise is either 100% or 98/95% vaccinated the cases detected onboard will be suitably managed.

In fully or very highly vaccinated environments I think most people will realise we should manage the situation, deal with it and then carry on.

If indeed we are actually on track to reaching "the end of the beginning" this year, then as we move onto "the beginning of the end" throughout next year our attitudes will possibly change.

That is why getting vaccination rates increasing all around the world is vitally important.

Achievable, but yes, still much work to be done.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Whilst I agree with this part of your post above, I'm not so sure about the part below....

I am hopeful (perhaps naively so) that assuming a cruise is either 100% or 98/95% vaccinated the cases detected onboard will be suitably managed.

In fully or very highly vaccinated environments I think most people will realise we should manage the situation, deal with it and then carry on.

If indeed we are actually on track to reaching "the end of the beginning" this year, then as we move onto "the beginning of the end" throughout next year our attitudes will possibly change.

That is why getting vaccination rates increasing all around the world is vitally important.

Achievable, but yes, still much work to be done.

I hope systems are in place to manage it, but I am thinking about the negative press and the interest it would garner from the CDC. 

2 hours ago, marieps said:

Hang on.  "JMO."  So you are entitled to your opinion (of course you are), but others are "all about themselves" for stating theirs?  BTW,  FDR wouldn't be terminated, he'd be offered less.   Jeez.

Of course you are  but I can disagree with you

If FDR did not like the new deal he has an good out  in his contract  you can be sure of that  if he chooses not to accept less  😉

5 hours ago, marieps said:

I am just not sure why you think Oceania should explain  to you..when they are ready they will tell all..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

I am just not sure why you think Oceania should explain  to you..when they are ready they will tell all..

Jancruz1

Oh, I don't know, maybe because we are the customer and Oceania has our money? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, khuselid said:

Ok....who is FDR??🧐

Frank Del Rio, the man who founded Oceania out of the ashes of Renaissance, now President and CEO of NCLH which owns Norwegian, Oceania and Regent.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Oh, I don't know, maybe because we are the customer and Oceania has our money? 

We are in a clear minority Susie.  That's fine.  My biggest disappointment is I have to wait until February to enjoy O's fine service, food and clientele.  

• Like 1