Royal reverses policy on proof of vaccination. Will Celebrity follow suit?

voyager90265

Royal has reversed itself and will no longer require proof of vaccination for sailings out of Florida. If Celebrity does the same are you comfortable sailing?  

Edited by voyager90265

• voyager90265 changed the title to Royal reverses policy on proof of vaccination by. Will Celebrity follow suit?
  • voyager90265 changed the title to Royal reverses policy on proof of vaccination. Will Celebrity follow suit?
5 minutes ago, Oville said:

I thought Royal was always going the testing route with test cruises.

Yes, you are correct. This has been discussed on another thread. X made the decision to require passengers to be vaccinated (95%) so they don’t have to do test cruises. Royal caters to families with children who may not be able to get vaccinated due to their ages.

To the OP, Imho X will not choose the route that Royal has taken. And yes, fully vaccinated, I can't wait to get on board!

• Like 9

I read that  the governor of FL said he will fine the cruise lines $5000 pp if they require proof of a vaccination.   Will this actually happen?   If so the cruise lines cannot afford to pay it

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

4 minutes ago, miched said:

I read that  the governor of FL said he will fine the cruise lines $5000 pp if they require proof of a vaccination.   Will this actually happen?   If so the cruise lines cannot afford to pay it

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

It's all posturing, Imo, political theater.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity has told me multiple times vaccines will be required. Vaccinated folks with autoimmune issues, some cancers and transplants can’t trust their vaccine until a third booster or another solution arrives. If they change their mind, then it will be disruptive for some passengers.

• Like 6

My RC ship just cancelled and I’m glad since their policy changed. I will book onto Edge, I suppose.  And that is because of the vaccination policy. It’s the only way I would want to sail, FOR NOW.   This is all so new and they don’t need to F this restart up!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If Celebrity follows suit I will be beyond angry.  Even though I am fully vaccinated I do not want to spend thousands of dollars with a much higher risk that our ship could be quarantined, ports could prevent us from docking, etc., etc.  And then , of course, even though vaccinated the potential risk to my own health increases exponentially.  I booked with the statement from them that vaccination would be required. If they can’t abide by that guarantee I expect them to offer us full refunds.

• Like 33

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

If Celebrity follows suit I will be beyond angry.  Even though I am fully vaccinated I do not want to spend thousands of dollars with a much higher risk that our ship could be quarantined, ports could prevent us from docking, etc., etc.  And then , of course, even though vaccinated the potential risk to my own health increases exponentially.  I booked with the statement from them that vaccination would be required. If they can’t abide by that guarantee I expect them to offer us full refunds.

Why do you think Celebrity will follow suit?  Royal and Celebrity were never going down the same path to resume cruising.  

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Yes, you are correct. This has been discussed on another thread. X made the decision to require passengers to be vaccinated (95%) so they don’t have to do test cruises. Royal caters to families with children who may not be able to get vaccinated due to their ages.

To the OP, Imho X will not choose the route that Royal has taken. And yes, fully vaccinated, I can't wait to get on board!

Thank you.

• Like 1

I posted this on another thread 

I was just looking on Celebrity's site and just noticed this...not sure if it's been recently updated or been the same wording for a while now: https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

Do I need a COVID-19 vaccine to cruise? What documents count as proof of vaccination?  How far in advance do I need to get my vaccine?

At this time, we are requiring guests 18 years and older to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Each guest must submit proof of full vaccination no later than boarding day, in the form of the original vaccination record document issued by either (1) the country’s health authority that administered the vaccination (e.g., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card) or (2) the guest's medical provider that administered the vaccination. Electronic vaccination records will only be accepted for residents of those countries where electronic documentation is the standard issued form (e.g., a unique QR code). The vaccination record submitted to Celebrity Cruises must show that the guest is fully vaccinated. This means that the guest has completed the full cycle of required doses for the vaccine administered (e.g., received the second dose in a two-dose series), and that the guest has received the final dose at least 14 days before sailing.

What I find interesting is the wording it starts with..."At this time". To me that leaves it open to change at any time.

Another thing I find a bit interesting is that the Equinox is supposed to start sailing July 4th...however if you look at pricing of the first 3 sailings pricing is almost double of that compared to the sailings that follow. Makes you kind of wonder if they are thinking of cancelling those first 3 Equinox sailings. Kind of makes me think something is in the works....like maybe they are going to go the test sailing route on Equinox and delay the revenue sailings start date and not requiring proof of vaccine just like Royal changed over to. I am going to put it out there and bet that by end of July Celebrity wouldn't be requiring proof of vaccine on any of their sailings out of FL following Royal's recent change.

Edited 1 hour ago by bajathree

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

It is a very turbulent situation. Just think about the Caribbean ports that could say "no vaccination - no stopping at our island", and they have full rights to do so. Then the cruise converts into the non-stop "day-at-sea", and this is the best scenario, if X would honor to sail "to nowhere" (infamous slogan of RCCL cruises from Singapore lately) for the duration of your cruise. I wonder how RCCL would bargain their policy change with Islanders in the Caribbean...

This looks even more dramatic under the potential of covid spark onboard, which may happen even within fully vaccinated ship contingent...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I was just looking on Celebrity's site and just noticed this...not sure if it's been recently updated or been the same wording for a while now: https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

Do I need a COVID-19 vaccine to cruise? What documents count as proof of vaccination?  How far in advance do I need to get my vaccine?

At this time, we are requiring guests 18 years and older to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Each guest must submit proof of full vaccination no later than boarding day, in the form of the original vaccination record document issued by either (1) the country’s health authority that administered the vaccination (e.g., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card) or (2) the guest's medical provider that administered the vaccination. Electronic vaccination records will only be accepted for residents of those countries where electronic documentation is the standard issued form (e.g., a unique QR code). The vaccination record submitted to Celebrity Cruises must show that the guest is fully vaccinated. This means that the guest has completed the full cycle of required doses for the vaccine administered (e.g., received the second dose in a two-dose series), and that the guest has received the final dose at least 14 days before sailing.

What I find interesting is the wording it starts with..."At this time". To me that leaves it open to change at any time.

Another thing I find a bit interesting is that the Equinox is supposed to start sailing July 4th...however if you look at pricing of the first 3 sailings pricing is almost double of that compared to the sailings that follow. Makes you kind of wonder if they are thinking of cancelling those first 3 Equinox sailings. Kind of makes me think something is in the works....like maybe they are going to go the test sailing route on Equinox and delay the revenue sailings start date and not requiring proof of vaccine just like Royal changed over to. I am going to put it out there and bet that by end of July Celebrity wouldn't be requiring proof of vaccine on any of their sailings out of FL following Royal's recent change.

I hope not.  

1 hour ago, voyager90265 said:

Royal has reversed itself and will no longer require proof of vaccination for sailings out of Florida. If Celebrity does the same are you comfortable sailing?  

No. I am comfortable being around unmasked crowds in the open (e.g., an open air Art Fair in our town today/tomorrow) but for prolonged interaction in possibly close quarters, no thanks. I hope Celebrity stops home porting in Florida if needed to avoid the ridiculous interference in private business being pushed by the governor there.

• Like 14

We chose not to book a cruise this year to avoid the potential problems, particularly getting stranded like early last year. Totally opposed to the idea of sailing with masks, etc and people who think it's their right to cruise. The Florida governor is opening more money for his state at the risk of greater damage to our recovery. Cruising is a privilege not a "right".

• Like 3

Been wearing a mask everyday for the last 14 months.  In healthcare, so it's on ALL day.  I mostly don't even notice it anymore.  If I have to wear one on the ship, so be it.  I'll just enjoy spending more time on my balcony and ordering room service.  I'm desperate for ANY vacation at this point.  Would I like an all vaccinated cruise?  Sure.  Will it keep me off the ship if it isn't?  Nope.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

The text hasn't changed.   I quoted this FAQ on May 17th in this thread

7 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

Been wearing a mask everyday for the last 14 months.  In healthcare, so it's on ALL day.  I mostly don't even notice it anymore.  If I have to wear one on the ship, so be it.  I'll just enjoy spending more time on my balcony and ordering room service.  I'm desperate for ANY vacation at this point.  Would I like an all vaccinated cruise?  Sure.  Will it keep me off the ship if it isn't?  Nope.

Yes, I think people like you and the ones who worked everyday during "lockdowns" are ready for vacation.  The are many workers who wore masks for long periods of time and some who wore them infrequently (for example outside construction, truck drivers, delivery people, LEOs, firefighters, etc.)  they get overlooked in the discussion.  Alot of the people in the media or with time to be vocal advocates never consider that there is a good part of the population that never went into lockdown; they went to work everyday with no vaccines in sight last year.  They have dealt with both worlds.  Thanks to you and all the people who kept us going.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, voyager90265 said:

Celebrity has been given approval to begin fully vaccinated sailings. That approval would be pulled immediately if the vaccine commitment were changed.  And, no, I would not be comfortable in the least if they reversed themselves.  And I firmly believe they will not. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lovrccl said:

Wait and see but I expect it's going to change. The governor will not allow cruise lines sailing from Florida to ask guests if they have been vaccinated. 

The Governor says a lot of things. It doesn’t make them lawful. Cruising is interstate and international commerce and state law cannot interfere with that. The Governor needs to go back for a refresher class on the US Constitution. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1