Has Covid affected your excursion thinking?

PC 462

I have four cruises booked.  As the hoped for embarkations days approach, the booking of excursions becomes more of a priority.  I'd like your feedback on two questions.

First, in general, has the pandemic affected your thought about the types of excursions you will book?

Second,  snorkeling is something we really enjoy. Does using a "disinfected" excursion snorkel in the time of a respiratory pandemic cause you any concern?

Thanks in advance for your reasoned perspectives!

• Like 1

1) No really, but the cruise line thinking may impact excursions. I would think outdoor excursions would be preferred.

2) I bring my own equipment. Snorkels used to be sold on the ship for $5 - maybe still will be, Or check Amazon - you can find them for under $10 unless you want a high tech gee whiz kind.

• Like 1

I haven't booked any excursions for my August cruise yet.  I don't know if it will sail, so that's one reason.  The other is that I don't know what restrictions there will be.

I am concerned about the mask requirements for excursions.  I will probably end up waiting at least another month.  I am not concerned at all about getting covid.  We are vaccinated and feel good about our protection.  I am just concerned about the rules that will be in place.

As far as snorkeling, I have never felt comfortable using snorkeling gear that many other people have used.  I am sure it's disinfected properly.  It's just me and I am funny about certain things.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

I haven't booked any excursions for my August cruise yet.  I don't know if it will sail, so that's one reason.  The other is that I don't know what restrictions there will be.

I am concerned about the mask requirements for excursions.  I will probably end up waiting at least another month.  I am not concerned at all about getting covid.  We are vaccinated and feel good about our protection.  I am just concerned about the rules that will be in place.

As far as snorkeling, I have never felt comfortable using snorkeling gear that many other people have used.  I am sure it's disinfected properly.  It's just me and I am funny about certain things.

Same here TN. We haven't booked any excursions and probably won't until we know ports are going to be open for us. It's so frustrating not knowing if the ports of call we booked, will welcome us. 2 out of the 3 are probably out.  Grand Cayman, & Montego Bay. Cozumel will probably be open to us, but what about the other 2 ports of call?  Arrrggggghhhh!  

• Like 1

First, I realize there's a chance the Carnival-sponsored excursions MAY BE the only ones available, and that by delaying my pre-cruise purchase there's a chance I'll get "excursioned out".  But for the first couple cruises back, I'd be perfectly happy just staying on the ship for seven straight days... admiring ship features I took for granted pre-covid.  So, no.  Second, we like snorkeling too - we're all vaccinated non-smokers with no known underlying health problems.  So, no.

• Like 2

Yes,  we plan on snorkeling next cruise and we’ve bought our own equipment on Amazon.  

we actually chose a cruise with half moon cay and grand Turk specifically bc there was no need to do excursions and we’d be on an open beach. 

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

We've always brought our own snorkel gear.  I was a germaphobe before COVID, no way am I using community equipment.  Plus, you can buy a snorkel at the excursion desk (used to be $5).  No mask, just the snorkel.

• Like 3

All of the snorkeling excursions we have been on, the mask/snorkel were in buckets of sanitizer. Been on one where the snorkel came to us new in plastic, just the mask was in the bucket of sanitzer. Zero worries for me

8 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

We've always brought our own snorkel gear.  I was a germaphobe before COVID, no way am I using community equipment.  Plus, you can buy a snorkel at the excursion desk (used to be $5).  No mask, just the snorkel.

That's good to know and at a low price.  I don't care about used masks, but I don't like the thought of using a community snorkel even if it is sanitized.

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

That's good to know and at a low price.  I don't care about used masks, but I don't like the thought of using a community snorkel even if it is sanitized.

Yeah, right up there with using someone else's toothbrush.... 🤮

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

Yeah, right up there with using someone else's toothbrush.... 🤮

Exactly!  Sanitized or not, no thanks.  LOL  We took our own snorkel gear on a day trip snorkeling in Maui.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 3

First cruise is Mardi Gras (hopefully) so it won’t bother me if I end up staying on the ship for that one. December and March I’m hoping to be able to see some Mayan ruins in Belize.

I bought my own full face snorkel for like $20 on Amazon. No way I’d use a public mask Or snorkel. 

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

First cruise is Mardi Gras (hopefully) so it won’t bother me if I end up staying on the ship for that one. December and March I’m hoping to be able to see some Mayan ruins in Belize.

I bought my own full face snorkel for like $20 on Amazon. No way I’d use a public mask Or snorkel. 

That's a good deal!

I feel the same way about my Mardi Gras cruise in August.  If I don't like the ports or excursion restrictions, I am just fine staying on the ship.

• Like 2

I am waiting until I am onboard to purchase any Carnival excursion. I usually self direct my own shore excursions, but I have so much OBC I will look seriously at the ship's offers.

As for snorkel equipment, I have never seen a resort dive company that could sanitize anything I would put near my face, let alone in my mouth. I have been a certified diver over 60 years, and when buying your own mask and snorkel comfort and fit are more important than color or price. The difference between a pool toy and an ocean designed kit is amazing. If you want easy breathing, clearing, and good vision Scuba Pro has some kits for $40 that have what you need. If you have a dive shop near you they advise you on proper fit if you desire. 

Edited by Moviela
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, PC 462 said:

I have four cruises booked.  As the hoped for embarkations days approach, the booking of excursions becomes more of a priority.  I'd like your feedback on two questions.

First, in general, has the pandemic affected your thought about the types of excursions you will book?

Second,  snorkeling is something we really enjoy. Does using a "disinfected" excursion snorkel in the time of a respiratory pandemic cause you any concern?

Thanks in advance for your reasoned perspectives!

Since I don't snorkel, I'll just concentrate on your first question.  What I like in excursions is what I like, and that hasn't changed.  What has changed, as mentioned elsewhere, is what excursions are allowed by the countries that we visit.  And since I have a lot of OBC that it would be struggle for me to otherwise spend, I'll take an extra hard look at Carnival's excursion list.

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Since I don't snorkel, I'll just concentrate on your first question.  What I like in excursions is what I like, and that hasn't changed.  What has changed, as mentioned elsewhere, is what excursions are allowed by the countries that we visit.  And since I have a lot of OBC that it would be struggle for me to otherwise spend, I'll take an extra hard look at Carnival's excursion list.

That makes sense if you have lots of OBC. It is also why OBC makes sense for the cruise lines since you are spending it with them and it costs them a lot less than what the monetary amount of OBC is.

We are 5 months from our cruise. I don't want to be stuck with ship excursions only. I am hoping they allow independent. As for snorkel gear, I will bring my own. I was shocked at how difficult it was to find the right mask, fins, and snorkel. 

Our rule is that if the excursion is more exotic and far from the ship we book through the ship.  Many cases there is not a huge markup.  In Belize all have been through the ship.  In PV we booked a jungle horseback ride through the ship.  Our most daring so far have been a DIY tour of Merida from Progresso and renting a car and hitting multiple beaches all over the island of Curacao. 

• Like 2

We snorkel (and hubby dives) all the time, have all our own equipment (fins, masks, snorkel, vests).  I would NOT use their snorkel.  Buy one before you 

I have 3 cruises booked Sept, Oct, Nov this year.  We usually do a mix in ports - some on our own (which we lean to where ever we can) and some with the ship - and sometimes we don't get off.

Because of the situation of not knowing if it will be mandated ship only excursions (even for fully vaxxed like us)  and not particularly wanting to stay on the ship the entire time, we pre-booked excursions (especially cabana in Half Moon Cay - Love this).  We booked for all 3 ports for our Sept cruise and have one booked so far for Oct and Nov.  We did this because IF that is the only way to get off the ship, we want to make sure we get to do what we want and it doesn't sell out.  Figured if things change we can always cancel a week before sailing and get refund.

• Like 1

Well, this post from someone on Celebrity right now may be skewing my thinking about excursions a bit.

Today we are in Curaçao and things seem to be a little more restrictive than Aruba. Our tour is required to stay in the “bubble.”  Hand sanitizing before we enter the bus each time. 
We are at Mambo beach and cruise passengers are in a sectioned spot of the beach, which is very nice, with plenty of room. We are not allowed to approach the bar or grill. Everything will be brought to us. 
We have to wear masks at all times unless we are in our beach chairs or in the water. If someone from the cruise ship needs to use the bathroom, the bathroom is closed to other guests, we are allowed to use it and then it is cleaned. 

Edited by balcony bound
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We'll take a cruise with no excursion options right now quite honestly.  We've visited most all of the Caribbean ports several times, so prior to CV, it was common for us to stay on the ship while others disembarked - had the ship, pools, and food to ourselves.  And no chair hogs!  Although I'm running desperately low on my Mexican vanilla that I buy in Cozumel at Los Cincos Soles - oh dear!  🤪

• Like 1