Sailings being "Paused"

jimgev

9 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Volendam is not doing the T.A. this fall, we could be on Westerdam. Zuiderdam, or N.A.  those are the ships that are here.  The Eurodam is now doing the T.A so that is why I thought it might be Eurodam.

I can’t picture a larger ship doing the Grand.  Just because Volendam is not carrying passengers doesn’t mean she can’t cross the ocean does it?

She’s not going to stay in Europe all winter unless they are selling her too 😱. Biting my tongue now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kazu said:

I can’t picture a larger ship doing the Grand.  Just because Volendam is not carrying passengers doesn’t mean she can’t cross the ocean does it?

She’s not going to stay in Europe all winter unless they are selling her too 😱. Biting my tongue now.

Yes, Volendam could come across empty, I was just thinking out loud, why come across empty when it was already booked to be the T.A, full of passengers in fall of 2021 who I think are now being transferred to Eurodam.   Too many variables, what will be, will be.  Just hoping we will all be on a ship soon.

1 hour ago, Lido deck main said:

Yes, Volendam could come across empty, I was just thinking out loud, why come across empty when it was already booked to be the T.A, full of passengers in fall of 2021 who I think are now being transferred to Eurodam.   Too many variables, what will be, will be.  Just hoping we will all be on a ship soon.

Not sure why they did what they did.  The Volendam was pretty well fully booked (I know I was to be on that cruise 😉 ).  I am guessing staffing perhaps?  Getting crew in place, trained, etc.  I don’t know.  There has to be a reason for it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kazu said:

Not sure why they did what they did.  The Volendam was pretty well fully booked (I know I was to be on that cruise 😉 ).  I am guessing staffing perhaps?  Getting crew in place, trained, etc.  I don’t know.  There has to be a reason for it.

That makes a lot of sense.  I don't suppose the cities in Europe are holding vaccination camps for cruise workers as they are in the US

There are 44 cruises shown as "inactive" on HAL's site at the moment. To find them:

• Click Search under Find A Cruise on the home page.
  • Click Search again on the Plan A Cruise page (you can choose filters if you want).
  • Click Filter (top left) of the page of results.
  • Click Inactive, then click the Inactive button, then click Search.

HAL has a real knack for burying filters and otherwise making it difficult to find what you want. (Apologies if instructions are a bit off: I'm working from my Android tablet rather than my desktop.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jimgev said:

I was looking into a Transatlantic cruise this November on the Nieuw Statendam. I got the basic informatin on the HAL website and then contacted my TA. She tried to get access to book the cruise but she was blocked. She called the HAL office and was told that this and some other cruises were being "paused" and were not available for bookings. My TA assumes that this has something to do with CDC restrictions. It is strange, however, that the cruise is still listed on the HAL website.

Anyone else encounter such a problem?

Tis strange indeed.  The Ship is currently anchored in the Bahamas and is not going to Europe.

We are booked on the April 14 2022 Sydney to Seattle.  Looking at the HAL website and inactive cruises, the April 14 Sydney to Honolulu is inactive but the Sydney to Seattle is active - it's the same ship, same departure date, same itinerary (until Honolulu).  Any idea what that means?

Since NS is not going to Europe and is now in the Caribbean, and since it does not have any cruises until Nov 21, I wonder if HAL will have her do a couple of Caribbean cruises earlier in Nov.?  Just a thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Since NS is not going to Europe and is now in the Caribbean, and since it does not have any cruises until Nov 21, I wonder if HAL will have her do a couple of Caribbean cruises earlier in Nov.?  Just a thought.

I've been wondering the same thing. There's a big hole in her itinerary. If she can get enough crew, it would make sense to generate income with a few cruises rather than sitting idle. But a big unknown is: what ports are going to be accepting cruise ships this fall?

Edited by jimgev

21 minutes ago, Hflors said:

The 2022 grand world cruise on Zaandam is now unavailable.   

Something is definitely up - they have not added any future sailings and we are now past the 24 month mark that Gus said he was going to maintain or extend.  I expect we are going to hear some bad news this week.  

The 2022 GVM is showing on the website for me, too. It may have been down to adjust something. There aren’t itinerary changes showing, but does anyone know if the price has dropped? The way people are cancelling before final payment, there’s a lot of space to fill and not a lot of takers.

We were booked n the TA from Civitavecchia on Oct. 29th and received a cancellation email from HAL with the option of transferring to the TA on the Eurodam out of Venice on Oct. 18th;  translating into many changes to our three week vacation in Italy prior to our cruise.   We’re  willing to change everything we had booked, however, in speaking to “Customer Service” today it will be two weeks before they will even confirm if we have a cabin on the Eurodam.  

3 hours ago, ransclan said:

We were booked n the TA from Civitavecchia on Oct. 29th and received a cancellation email from HAL with the option of transferring to the TA on the Eurodam out of Venice on Oct. 18th;  translating into many changes to our three week vacation in Italy prior to our cruise.   We’re  willing to change everything we had booked, however, in speaking to “Customer Service” today it will be two weeks before they will even confirm if we have a cabin on the Eurodam.  

I’m not sure if will be 2 weeks or not as they have started assigning cabins for our roll call members.

If you log into the HAL website and go to manage your bookings you should see a Eurodam booking now, click to manage / book a sore excursion/ whatever and you’ll see a picture of your cabin and if it’s assigned you’ll see a number.  

What I find disconcerting is that one of our roll call members is “waitlisted” for the cruise.  It seems to me if HAL had given everyone say, 5 days to say if they wanted to go or not, they could have saved a lot of aggravation for themselves and the passengers.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to ask how they can put all the passengers booked on 3 ships on one. 😡 😉 

The sad thing is that on our roll call for the Volendam TA which was a pretty much a fully booked ship, it’s obvious some are cancelling since key ports for them are now missing.

I hope it works out for you faster than you think 🤞 

• Like 1

Thanks Kazu:  I have logged in to HAL and they are still showing us on the Nieuw Statendam out of Rome.  I even tried booking a shore excursion on the website for a Cancelled Cruise and they’re allowing it even though the cruise is no longer available.  I have always enjoyed Holland America but the customer service I got yesterday was terrible - she was yawning so much and talking at the same time that I had to constantly ask her to repeat herself.  I’m waiting for a call back from our Travel Agent and hoping she will have more info.