Will pub lunch still be available?

4 hours ago, mjmalino said:

I don't know, but I hope they will still be available.

Hi mjmalino,

I hope so myself only if it’s as good as it once was. I was on the Caribbean Princess in 2019 and it was awful. 😳 I thought well maybe It’s just me? So I asked some other people and they agree with me. 

Tony

2 hours ago, dave_k58 said:

WE are on the SKY TA on November 5.  Where would they have the Pub Lunch on the SKY?

It will be advertised in the Princess Patter.  I would hazard a guess that it will be in the Crown Grill.

8 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Saw it on the Golden a few times... the cue... was unbelievable... so didn't go

But nobody really known  what is going to happen, stay the same or change..

As they say.. we will get there when we get there..

Don

You have to get there before they open & then the seating is rather quick once they begin.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

I was on the Caribbean Princess in 2019 and it was awful. 😳 I thought well maybe It’s just me? So I asked some other people and they agree with me. 

Tony

On Grand Princess in 2019, and the food was not worth the wait.  I encourage Pub Lunches to continue though to divert crowds from other dining areas!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mike07 said:

On Grand Princess in 2019, and the food was not worth the wait.  I encourage Pub Lunches to continue though to divert crowds from other dining areas!

LOL, I know! We couldn't understand how could they mess up Fish & Chips! (Answer: By not cooking to order and keeping plates warm under a heat lamp.)

The one thing we all enjoyed was the bread pudding...that was delicious!

2 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

What exactly is a Pub lunch ?

On sea days they have for free  a lunch menu of 3 or 4 items you might typically get at a British pub. Fish & chips, kidney pie, stilton cheese with something I can't remember, maybe one other selection I can't recall. We've had it in the Crown Grill & also the Wheelhouse bar. We've always enjoyed it, although I've read a few times it missed the mark. I think it's usually from 11-2, but I may be wrong about exact time. Drinks are an extra charge, even iced tea. The included dessert is always good. 

• Thanks 1

Here's one of the menus and some pictures from our previous pub lunches

publunchmenu.thumb.jpg.669ea27ce21d94888438b5f82c9457c5.jpg

Breaded Prawns and chips at the front / Chicken Curry

fishandcurry.thumb.jpg.6c5bf9d23fbfbb28cc4dacf57b916083.jpg

Breaded Prawns at the front, fish and chips at the back

prawns.thumb.jpg.084b5fab76397e86083ffdf98d45820e.jpg

Sherry Trifle

sherrytrifle.thumb.jpg.2f9118195bc3c5e06c6dada47d7d0dbc.jpg

Edited by dides
  • Thanks 1

My wife has had the Chicken Curry a few times. She says it has ranged from "quite good" to "meh". I have yet to see the Prawns offered on any cruise we've been on. I've heard about it and seen pictures such as the one above that lists the option but it has never been available to us. I found the Scotch Egg they served me to be "meh and the mushy peas are also pretty "meh". The Shepard's Pie (not on the list above) was "okay". The mush peas were quite unmemorable. The Brits I've spoken with have all said they are very poor as mushy peas go. Bangers and mash was what one might expect as was the Ploughman's Lunch. I've yet to sample the Steak and Kidney Pie. Like many from the US, offal is not a normal dietary item for me.

31 minutes ago, Thrak said:

My wife has had the Chicken Curry a few times. She says it has ranged from "quite good" to "meh". I have yet to see the Prawns offered on any cruise we've been on. I've heard about it and seen pictures such as the one above that lists the option but it has never been available to us. I found the Scotch Egg they served me to be "meh and the mushy peas are also pretty "meh". The Shepard's Pie (not on the list above) was "okay". The mush peas were quite unmemorable. The Brits I've spoken with have all said they are very poor as mushy peas go. Bangers and mash was what one might expect as was the Ploughman's Lunch. I've yet to sample the Steak and Kidney Pie. Like many from the US, offal is not a normal dietary item for me.

No they don't use the correct peas for our mushy peas - should be marrowfat peas rather than standard or garden peas. We still love to go though! We are booked on the first Princess cruise out of the UK so will report back if they put on a pub lunch.

Edited by dides
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi mjmalino,

I hope so myself only if it’s as good as it once was. I was on the Caribbean Princess in 2019 and it was awful. 😳 I thought well maybe It’s just me? So I asked some other people and they agree with me. 

Tony

We were on our first Princess cruise in November 2019 on the Caribbean Princess.  Lots of other cruises but first Princess.  Our friends rave about the Pub Lunch so it was a must for us.  Well, what a disappointment!  Perhaps just the Caribbean Princess.  Going on the Sky November 2021 and will try again.  Yes, right about getting in as soon as it opens.  We did not realize that and arrived about 1/2 hour before advertised closing.  Last people allowed in (Although a man behind us, loudly proclaiming that he was Elite, was eventually allowed in).  Food poor (except for Bread Pudding) and service poor.  Better luck next time, I hope.

10 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Don't know  what you order, but we order the Fish and Chips, was always very good on Grand.  We even got an order of fish and chips and shrimp and chips once, both excellent.  I wish Princess would allow us to order thru Room Service.  I would love to eat on balcony on a port day.  Usually only on sea days, they could make some more money making available to those who stay on board on port days. 

21 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi mjmalino,

Tony

Oh that's sad. I don't think we even tried it on our last cruise, Sky in 2020, but that was because there were some new restaurants that we wanted to try, we didn't even look for it. The best had to be on the Emerald in 2016 on our Baltic cruise from London. Not really a surprise there.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Each to their own as far as tastes go but enunciate carefully and understand English isn't always a first language when you make a request. DW was having fish & chips and asked for "more peas". She got more fish ... "more piece" was heard. 😅

• Haha 1

Our October 2019 TA on the Emerald Princess the Pub Lunch was modified and held in the aft section of the Horizon Court (wrong name cannot remember the new).   Included all the usual fare along with a couple of curries.   Items were definitely more tasty than the usual pub lunch.

• Like 1