Specialty Dining Prices

dfish

15 hours ago, POA1 said:

Not surprising. Food price inflation has been ridiculous lately. I expect fuel surcharges again.

Isn't that the truth! Food inflation has been insane. And gas is just getting started. I expect the fuel surcharges to reappear by our Feb 22 cruise. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

I don’t think it is, sadly.  When we sailed on the Rotterdam, it wasn’t offered.  I was disappointed as I had so looked forward to it.  I think Sel de Mer has replaced it ?

When we sailed Rotterdam VI the last time, September/October 2019, both Sel de Mer and Librije in the Pinnacle featured, so our experience were that both of them used to be offered on one sailing.

2 hours ago, Alphen said:

Have not seen any listing of the "Night at the Librije", which used to be on Eurodam and Rotterdam VI!

I remember reading something about the agreement between the restaurant and HAL coming to an end.  

16 hours ago, dfish said:

I just booked some specialty dining for our Alaska cruise and noticed that there has been an increase in prices.

Canaletto     $22.40

Pinnacle Grill     $46.00

Sel de Mar (pop up)   $57.80

Tamarind     $34.20

They need the money..

10 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I remember reading something about the agreement between the restaurant and HAL coming to an end.  

Could be, hope not, since the chef and owner of the Librije is still a member of the HAL council.

10 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

since we have the new current Have it All Promo for July 24th we need to wait till July 7th to make reservations for Pinnacle since that will be included with the Have it All.

We have the promotion too -- so do I understand it that at a certain amount of time pre-cruise you can book your Pinnacle reservation and you won't be charged, you can pinpoint it to come under the promotion? 

It's always a hassle to make sure the free/discounted dinners are actually discounted after paying pre-cruise, and easy to forget.

2 hours ago, Ljscheller said:

Does the Sel de Mer compare to the Chef’s Table on other cruise lines?

It is just a different menu that features a lot of seafood and also a few non-seafood choices -- all with a continental preparation style.  Sel de Mer is one of our favorites.

I do have to wonder if they are in danger of pricing themselves out of the market.  Our experience in Pinnacle is always hit or miss.  Sometimes the meal is great, sometimes not so much.  We have actually had more consistent food in Canaletto (except for the raw chicken parmigiana on the Maasdam).  We get two for free and we will certainly do those but not sure about paying $50 for the two of us and three stars and below it would be $100 a couple.

• Like 1

ANYONE going on a cruise this year will probably experience sticker shock.  That does not just apply to food, but to the cruise itself.  For me, I know what I am in for in terms of paying more to cruise this year, which I am (hope), and I accept that to get back on a cruise ship.  If someone is looking for a deal, I'm not sure they are going to find that this cruising season.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

We have the promotion too -- so do I understand it that at a certain amount of time pre-cruise you can book your Pinnacle reservation and you won't be charged, you can pinpoint it to come under the promotion? 

It's always a hassle to make sure the free/discounted dinners are actually discounted after paying pre-cruise, and easy to forget.

Actually my correction they state we can make reservations July 6th, but knowing Holland America and recent roll outs my guess of July 7th could be more accurate. 

This is what my reservation shows for my upcoming Alaska sailing booked under the New Have It All promotion.

1: Shore Excursion offer: Choose one shore excursion per guest (up to $100 value per tour). Shore excursions will be available to book pre-cruise by July 6, 2021 or may be booked onboard.

2: 1 Night Specialty Dining, reservations and dining times will be available to pre-reserve by July 6, 2021

I will state that since I am also going in September but that cruise was booked mid year 2020 under a totally different Have it All promotion that offers Signature Dining Package, in looking at an updated confirmation it does not have the above wording. So it is possible that this is only the case for those booked under the new current Have it All Promotion.

20 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I will state that since I am also going in September but that cruise was booked mid year 2020 under a totally different Have it All promotion that offers Signature Dining Package, in looking at an updated confirmation it does not have the above wording. So it is possible that this is only the case for those booked under the new current Have it All Promotion.

Thank you Lisa! This makes sense, we also booked under the older promotion and I don't see the above wording on ours either.  

The more thought I give this leads me to believe that by calling the increase " a service charge" there is no discount applied to that part of the meal  and that the discount only applies to the meal cost itself and thus the extra generated income they seek from every passenger that dines in the upsell restaurant.

Comments?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

The more thought I give this leads me to believe that by calling the increase " a service charge" there is no discount applied to that part of the meal  and that the discount only applies to the meal cost itself and thus the extra generated income they seek from every passenger that dines in the upsell restaurant.

Comments?

I see no difference between this and the wine packages.  The discount for Mariners is only for the package itself - we still pay the full service charge which is fine by me for compensation to the wine stewards.

It’s not so much generated income as enumeration to staff.  Specialty dining staff were not in the HSC (now Crew Incentive) and although we tipped, not sure how many did.

• Like 2

I just realized that the increased price of my chocolate dipped strawberries went up 18% ... and weren't "specialty food items" (i.e., not on the room service menu) included in the new policy that discussed specialty dining service charges?  

And they've definitely raised the price of a bottle of vodka to be delivered to the stateroom a LOT (they already had a service charge so they just hiked the price by as much as double).

1 minute ago, zelker said:

I just realized that the increased price of my chocolate dipped strawberries went up 18% ... and weren't "specialty food items" (i.e., not on the room service menu) included in the new policy that discussed specialty dining service charges?  

And they've definitely raised the price of a bottle of vodka to be delivered to the stateroom a LOT (they already had a service charge so they just hiked the price by as much as double).

IIRC, they stated that room service items that were for a price would be subject to the service charge.  chocolate dipped strawberries are at a price and have to be delivered so I would assume the 18% would apply if I am understanding things correctly.

yikes on the vodka.  Is that ordering on line in advance?   I must go look on that one.  I usually order a bottle for our longer cruises.

18 minutes ago, kazu said:

IIRC, they stated that room service items that were for a price would be subject to the service charge.  chocolate dipped strawberries are at a price and have to be delivered so I would assume the 18% would apply if I am understanding things correctly.

yikes on the vodka.  Is that ordering on line in advance?   I must go look on that one.  I usually order a bottle for our longer cruises.

That's what I thought it said.  So the strawberries were $9.50 and now they are $11.20.

And yes, we like to have a bottle of vodka in our stateroom too but wait until you see the prices!! 😳 The least expensive brands that we paid $51 (inc. service fee) for in the Fall of 2019 are now $71 USD so ok, not quite double but still ....  And the top shelf brands are over $100 now.

Edited by zelker

43 minutes ago, kazu said:

I see no difference between this and the wine packages.

The only difference is with a wine package you are talking a few bottles, but the specialty dinning you are talking per meal...

Not say anything negative.. but if what you say is true... it changes the concept of  service charge for the industry to be more in line with land based retailers and banks and ....

1 hour ago, rucrazy said:

Comments?

Hard to say. IMO it is not really a sevice charge, just an 18% increase. I seriously doubt that 18% is going to the cooks, wait staff, etc. 

18 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

I try and keep an Absolute and Jack in our stateroom no matter what promo we have.. what is your preferred  brand of Vodka @zelker?

Belvedere, Chopin, or Grey Goose but won't pay that much for a bottle on the ship. Last bottle we bought onboard was Ketel One.  At home we're now going to the one Costco that sells liquor in Colorado (almost an hour drive one way) to stock up on their French 5x Distilled Vodka which is really good and SUCH a deal!  Have you tried it?

Edited by zelker

7 minutes ago, highscar said:

The increase liqueur price was increased before our Hawaii cruise last February 

I think we were on the Eurodam together ... but we didn't buy a bottle that cruise, just a wine package so I never looked at prices.

Edited by zelker