What happened to whale excursions in Caribbean

We love ship sponsored whale watching excursions. However, in the past couple of years I have noticed they are rarely offered.

Does anyone know what gives?

John won't do private excursions, only ship sponsored. If that's the price I have to pay to cruise, I'll pay!

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

They had them in Cabo, but don't ever remember them in the Caribbean before?

I have never seen them offered in the Caribbean either, at since we started cruising in 2005.

• Like 1

They used to have them from Dominica. We booked a cruise specifically hoping to see sperm whales.  Unfortunately the ships tour did not have enough interest and I believe the main guy who did tours on the island lost his boat in a hurricane. I don't actually remember all the details.

On Repo from Quebec City to Galveston, We sailed Canadian Martimes hoping to see whales with no luck . However on same cruise , in the middle of Gulf of Mexico our captain announced we were approaching whales on port side , and it seemed the ship leaned with so many guests 

rushing to the port side of ship . Yes the whales we’re there to see . 

• Like 1

If you even change your mind about private tours, Mystic Man in St. Lucia does a nice job. 

Have been out with them twice - once, no luck, second time, saw several. Plus, you see the Pitons from a different viewpoint that far off shore. 

Edited by EatonDoolittle
  • Thanks 1

been cruising the caribbean since 1991 and don't ever remember ever seeing a whale watching tour.We have done the whale watching tours out of Maine and always enjoyed them.

I recall whale watching tours from both Dominica and St. Lucia. I was surprised that there were that many whales in the Caribbean, but one of cruise friends went out of St. Lucia and he had photos of quite a few they had seen on his phone. :classic_biggrin:

We've done quite a few - from Grenada, Dominica and twice from St.

Lucia.

Always saw whales. Also saw spinner dolphins, flying fish, sea turtles (from a helicopter ride over Montserrat). Much more.

I think the captains of the excursion had scouts go out to see where they might be. Sonetimes we rode for over an hour to get where we were going. Always rum punch and lunch. 

I like being ON the water,  not IN. I haven't done more than wade ankle deep since I saw Jaws.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gadaboutgal said:

Whales are like snow birds.  They come down to the warm waters in the winter. Mainly January through April.  So if you vacation in summer only you should head north to Maine, etc.

We usually go in Feb. That's John's slow time at work.

40 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

There used to be a whale excursion out of Nantucket.  It would go half way across the globe in search of whales. I think the ship was the Peaquod, captain was an obsessive sort named Ahab.  

LOL -- as in  Herman Melville's novel?

15 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

LOL -- as in  Herman Melville's novel?

12 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

I don't recommend that particular tour. That captain really is a dismal fellow, and he only searches for white whales.

That tour may have been a tad LONG....as it left Nantucket, I think went around the Horn of Africa to the Indian Ocean, in an 1850 circa sailing ship.  How long would that take?

I think I will stick to three hour tours, not much can go bad there......DOH!

Eddie

12 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

That tour may have been a tad LONG....as it left Nantucket, I think went around the Horn of Africa to the Indian Ocean, in an 1850 circa sailing ship.  How long would that take?

I think I will stick to three hour tours, not much can go bad there......DOH!

Eddie

A three hour tour as in Gilligan's Island? ☠️

3 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Always saw whales. Also saw spinner dolphins, flying fish, sea turtles (from a helicopter ride over Montserrat). Much more.

The helicopter excursion over Montserrat is awesome and incredible. It is amazing to see the devastation of the island. We also a bunch of turtles and dolphins on the transit. (but no whales) :classic_biggrin:

We always try to take volcano helicopter excursions when they are available. That is my bucket list thing. The various types of volcanoes are very different.  :classic_smile: Although, I am kind of re-thinking that after what happened in New Zealand. :classic_sad:

• Like 1