New Drinks Menus and Prices

Cathygh

12 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Just to add, there were No QR codes to download menus,  all menus are allegedly single use, not sure how I feel about this.

The menus are nicely printed, on good quality cardstock. Only given on request, it felt “normal” to hold a good quality menu.  Once used I was told the corners are torn off and the menu destroyed.  

Once we realised this my DH just scanned into notes so we had a version on our phone.

I know we are not meant to talk directly about "you know what" on here, but destroying menus after a single use is just totally unnecessary. 

56 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I know we are not meant to talk directly about "you know what" on here, but destroying menus after a single use is just totally unnecessary. 

Surely if the cards were laminated they could be reused after a wipe down with an antimicrobial wipe?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Surely if the cards were laminated they could be reused after a wipe down with an antimicrobial wipe?

Indeed, but even paper ones can be reused. 

We have been out and about a fair bit recently, and single use menus are now very few and far between. 

4 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

This is why I said allegedly, I wonder if they do quarantine them and or clean them? Still handy to scan them as you are likely to have your phone on you anyway.  

It's purely for show. No reason why they can't be reused immediately. 

Or at least let you keep your own copy.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

It's purely for show. No reason why they can't be reused immediately. 

Or at least let you keep your own copy.

You couldn’t keep your own copy, because, You might put it down and another guest pick it up 🤣

To be honest they were so hot on doing things right, I do believe if they were to reuse them, I don’t know that they did, but they would be wiped or quarantined.  The protocols made me feel very safe, were unobtrusive, and I was grateful to actually feel like life was normal for a while.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

You couldn’t keep your own copy, because, You might put it down and another guest pick it up 🤣

To be honest they were so hot on doing things right, I do believe if they were to reuse them, I don’t know that they did, but they would be wiped or quarantined.  The protocols made me feel very safe, were unobtrusive, and I was grateful to actually feel like life was normal for a while.

I can understand why they have gone "over the top" for the first few cruises, as much as anything to demonstrate overtly how seriously they are taking things.

Hopefully, in due course, common sense will prevail, and normal service will once again resume, as seems to be the case with most shore restaurants.

Looks like social distancing and mask wearing will no longer be required after July 19th, so that will be a great step forward.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I can understand why they have gone "over the top" for the first few cruises, as much as anything to demonstrate overtly how seriously they are taking things.

Hopefully, in due course, common sense will prevail, and normal service will once again resume, as seems to be the case with most shore restaurants.

Looks like social distancing and mask wearing will no longer be required after July 19th, so that will be a great step forward.  

I don’t know why you feel a need to do this?  
i was more than happy with the protocols they had in place, Please don’t imply I have No Common  Sense by agreeing with the way things were dealt with.  Personally I don’t think it was over the top, I liked it! 
We don’t all share your views you know, stop trying to ram your opinions down my throat with every post you make. Thank you.

Edited by Pink-belle
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

i was more than happy with the protocols they had in place, Please don’t imply I have No Common  Sense by agreeing with the way things were dealt with.  Personally I don’t think it was over the top, I liked it! 
We don’t all share your views you know, stop trying to ram your opinions down my throat with every post you make. Thank you.

A bit harsh PB, we are all entitled to our views and opinions, and where necessary defending them, but with reason  and logic,  rather than by unnecessary accusations.

Just now, terrierjohn said:

A bit harsh PB, we are all entitled to our views and opinions, and where necessary defending them, but with reason  and logic,  rather than by unnecessary accusations.

True, but this thread is entitled New Drinks Menu and prices, not your views on the new protocols. 

11 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Crikey! You are taking things far too personally!

I merely said that P&O were taking, understandably, an over the top approach, and hoped that in due course common sense would prevail, and normal service would be resumed.

How is that possibly a criticism of you?

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The government’s advices re cruises is not always exactly the same as the land based. 

2 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

True, but this thread is entitled New Drinks Menu and prices, not your views on the new protocols. 

Well, if you want to be pedantic, talking about disposal of menus is not strictly on topic either, but goodness knows, I love a bit of thread drift!! 

Wine and bubbly prices seem to have gone up, but still semi reasonable.  My DW's favourite  Nyetymber at £49 is cheaper than  at a recent UK hotel stay, and so it should  be no 20% VAT. Knock of VAT then P&O are charging about double the retail price (Exc VAT)  Given they will buy at a good discount,  they make a very reasonable mark up.

4 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Wine and bubbly prices seem to have gone up, but still semi reasonable.  My DW's favourite  Nyetymber at £49 is cheaper than  at a recent UK hotel stay, and so it should  be no 20% VAT. Knock of VAT then P&O are charging about double the retail price (Exc VAT)  Given they will buy at a good discount,  they make a very reasonable mark up.

I only live a few miles away from Nyetimber winery but have never tried it. Can feel a visit for some wine tasting beckoning!

Stella fosters and Peroni on tap by the pool think about £5-£6 a pint best value was tattinger rose champagne for £45 a bottle it’s normally way more sometimes double than that so that was what we had most days and Pink belle said protocols strict but we were happy to do them and felt fully safe and happy to comply just to get a holiday alternative is an outbreak then back to ships shutdown and no one gets a holiday.

Food good breakfast fantastic lunch always something but not lots of options dinner in restaurant great to , service exceptional weather great and we already looking to book another staycation later in summer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

I prefer over the top precautions than being stuck in a cabin with COVID-19 but each there own

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I prefer over the top precautions than being stuck in a cabin with COVID-19 but each there own

Nothing wrong with over the top at the moment, but in due course, back to normality!

On 7/2/2021 at 9:26 AM, terrierjohn said:

But we shouldn't be using plastic either. At school they wrote stuff on a bl.......oh, bother.🤔

Now most of us have been vaccinated for COVID-19 could they not use the micro chip they included in the vaccine to just send us a message what’s the drink prices are and what’s going on would save a lot of paper.

(just joking).

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I would assume that VAT will be charged on drinks on staycation cruises as they don’t leave the U.K. 

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

......chalkboard??

Avril

A board made of chalk? A board on which to chalk is surely a chalking board. On the other hand, a blackboard is a board which is coloured black....

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

A board made of chalk? A board on which to chalk is surely a chalking board. On the other hand, a blackboard is a board which is coloured black....

A whiteboard  which is coloured White, that replaced blackboards,  you had to use special whiteboard  pens to write on them.

Edited by LifeonMars