Expanded Holland America in San Diego

CATandSQUID

11 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Love San Diego and so easy for us to get to for a cruise! 

So sad that the nearby Anthony's seafood restaurant, and my regular pre-cruise dining experience, is no longer in business. 

Displaying the Cruise Critic banner with our fellow CC members for the San Diego port webcam was a treat.  The banner was last seen on the Oosterdam a number of years ago.

I will be in San Diego next April for another cruise.  .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Crew News said:

So sad that the nearby Anthony's seafood restaurant, and my regular pre-cruise dining experience, is no longer in business. 

Displaying the Cruise Critic banner with our fellow CC members for the San Diego port webcam was a treat.  The banner was last seen on the Oosterdam a number of years ago.

I will be in San Diego next April for another cruise.  .

I remember when a bunch of us met at Anthony’s  pre-cruise including you and your DW.  

We usually do a short cruise from San Diego in April to celebrate our anniversary but not sure yet about April 2022.  We will have 3 little grandkids by then. 

Edited by canadianbear
Spelling

38 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Anthony's was replaced by four restaurants in the new Portside Pier:

Brigantine on the Bay

Miguel’s Cocina

Ketch Grill and Taps

Portside Coffee & Gelato

We still have the the two seafood restaurants immediately south of the USS Midway museum. 

I call this a win.

igraf

Edited by igraf
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, igraf said:

Anthony's was replaced by four restaurants in the new Portside Pier:

Brigantine on the Bay

Miguel’s Cocina

Ketch Grill and Taps

Portside Coffee & Gelato

We still have the the two seafood restaurants immediately south of the USS Midway museum. 

I call this a win.

igraf

Thanks for the update.  I look forward to trying them in April.

igraf, thank you for the info.. Had lunch on a weekday at Miguels fairly recently. Think parking would be an issue at a "busy' time. Valet was $18 for three hours at that time.Always enjoy Fisherman restaurant on our visits to san Diego.

I'm thinking of taking about 4 days in San Diego before heading up Seattle for our cruise in September.  So, this would be mid-September.  I will not book a rental car and plan to book a hotel then get around on public transportation.  I would like to see the zoo, USS Midway, hit some good restaurants and anything else that might be interesting.  This is going to be a last minute situation, and would like to put it out there for any comments.  I guess what I am trying to do is extend the vacation a little bit now that cruises are only 7 days and we usually only go for a minimum of 14 days.  We've done everything in Seattle, so we are not really interested in heading there any earlier than necessary.  Any comments on a must do's etc.?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

Maybe a different "Anthony's", but the one in Seattle still exists.  

2 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

I'm thinking of taking about 4 days in San Diego before heading up Seattle for our cruise in September.  So, this would be mid-September.  I will not book a rental car and plan to book a hotel then get around on public transportation.  I would like to see the zoo, USS Midway, hit some good restaurants and anything else that might be interesting.  This is going to be a last minute situation, and would like to put it out there for any comments.  I guess what I am trying to do is extend the vacation a little bit now that cruises are only 7 days and we usually only go for a minimum of 14 days.  We've done everything in Seattle, so we are not really interested in heading there any earlier than necessary.  Any comments on a must do's etc.?

SD has alot to offer and fairly easy to get around with public transportation or short cab rides.

We have done the Zoo (great!), USS Midway (highly recommended but allow 4 hours and be ready for lots of tight stairs), Seaport Village (interesting but mostly shops), all close to the pier.  We did Old Town a number of years ago and that was interesting.  Go over to Coranado and definately see the Hotel (I think the ferry near the cruise pier takes you to the island).  We have not done it, but Sea World is also close to the cruise pier area (short cab ride).

We like to stay near the cruise pier (several good hotels there), but you have many options.  We like to be able to just walk a few hundred yards (or less) to the ship when ready to board!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Crew News said:

Totally agree, Anthony's was our regular restaurant anytime we were in San Diego.  First went there in 1973 when I went to college in San Diego, so my heart broke a bit when we were last there in 2016 and told by our server that it was going to be no longer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Go over to Coranado and definately see the Hotel (I think the ferry near the cruise pier takes you to the island). 

Yes, the ferry takes you to Coronado.  I was last there Feb 2020 and used it twice.  It's an short walk to the ferry near the cruise pier.

• Like 2

Seaport village is going thru a rebirth, many excellent restaurants, and couple of breweries.  Definitely not the Seaport village of a couple of years ago.  We live very close to the waterfront and walk to Seaport Village a couple of times a week.

Anthony’s seafood has one location remaining in San Diego located in La Mesa.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheEmerson said:

I do wish one day HAL would have some sailings from San Francisco.  But with Princess claiming that turf I doubt HAL will encroach on their sister brand.

They have, from time to time. We boarded Eurodam in SF for a repo cruise through the Canal to FLL about 5 years ago.

Princess doesn't have any sort of exclusive rights to sailing from SF. I believe Carnival was going to base a ship in SF prior to Covid, and HAL was going to make more stops there. Overall, the number of ships visiting was increasing significantly prior to Covid.

Given the choice of cruising from FLL/MIA or San Diego, all things being equal, San Diego wins hands down.  Just as CA always wins hands down over FLA with us.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

We like to stay near the cruise pier (several good hotels there), but you have many options.  We like to be able to just walk a few hundred yards (or less) to the ship when ready to board!

Do you have any particular hotel recommendation near the pier?

26 minutes ago, sleslie said:

Do you have any particular hotel recommendation near the pier?

If you look over on the West Coast Departures board, there are MANY discussions on hotels. There are 8 or so within walking distance of the port. Our preference is the Embassy Suites.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

• Like 2

The California Coastal cruises have some really enticing new itineraries.

However, Catalina Island, Santa Barbara, and Monterrey all are tender ports.

If the weather isn't cooperating, you might find it impossible to get ashore.

David

• Like 1