Edge Infinite Veranda Stateroom

coffeebean

I just discovered today that there are infinite veranda staterooms on Celebrity Edge. I watched a very informative video of the cabin layout, including a very comprehensive tutorial of how the infinite veranda functions.

After viewing the video, hubby does not seem impressed with the infinite veranda but I find it very interesting. To anyone who has had the infinite veranda experience.....how do you like it vs a regular veranda? Pros and cons. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

These staterooms have mixed reviews. Here's a recent thread you can browse through to read everyone's opinions: 

Thank you for the link. I did a search of this Celebrity forum and didn't see this on the first page. I guess I should have looked further.

I'll give you my quick take.  We had an infinite veranda on our first Edge cruise.  We quickly moved and upgraded (which we never do) to a Sky Suite. Many people like the infinite verandas but I agree with your husband.  I didn't like it at all.  For us, it was a window that opened on a bus or a train.  It doesn't feel like a traditional veranda if that's what you are used to.  I think it's even a stretch to actually name it a veranda.  I'd place it somewhere between and oceanview and a regular veranda.  

I also really disliked that the crew had the capability of closing and locking your window as needed.  That doesn't happen with a normal veranda.  

My two cents.....I'm sure others have differing opinions.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

I'll give you my quick take.  We had an infinite veranda on our first Edge cruise.  We quickly moved and upgraded (which we never do) to a Sky Suite. Many people like the infinite verandas but I agree with your husband.  I didn't like it at all.  For us, it was a window that opened on a bus or a train.  It doesn't feel like a traditional veranda if that's what you are used to.  I think it's even a stretch to actually name it a veranda.  I'd place it somewhere between and oceanview and a regular veranda.  

I also really disliked that the crew had the capability of closing and locking your window as needed.  That doesn't happen with a normal veranda.  

My two cents.....I'm sure others have differing opinions.  Good luck!

Thank you for your POV. After reading another thread that was linked in this thread, I have a excellent idea of what these IV are all about. I agree with my husband....these "verandas" are most definitely not for us.

• Like 1

My wife loves the infinite window, but I dislike it.  I even  hate the mis-naming of it!  What about the window is "infinite"?

My wife would almost never go out on the balcony, so she didn't mind giving up the balcony.  She prefers the window, even if the A/C goes off when we open the window.  [Before we were married, way back in the early or mid-1980s, I had an aft ocean view cabin on Celebrity Meridian with floor to ceiling windows.  I bet my wife would have loved that cabin.]

I love to sit on the balcony and read, and the indoor seats are not an acceptable substitute.  

I will still cruise with the darn window to make my wife happy.  I'll spend the "balcony time" reading on deck instead.  I am trying to tone down my negative feelings about the infinite window.

We had an "Edge" type infinite balcony window on a river cruise. It 's like opening a window in your house. It;'s definitely not the same experience as being on a true ship balcony.  I would take a pass on this type of cabin.

11 minutes ago, dabear said:

We had an "Edge" type infinite balcony window on a river cruise. It 's like opening a window in your house. It;'s definitely not the same experience as being on a true ship balcony.  I would take a pass on this type of cabin.

Have you been on the Edge?

We have been in a IV and while we wouldn’t pick it over a traditional balcony we would cruise in one again and are.    For us the cabin is only 1 factor.  We only spend 3-4 hr a day awake in the cabin and half of that is showering and getting ready for the day or dinner.  The itinerary is a major factor as is the condition of the ship. The restaurants, bars and fitness center/ spa also are a factor.  We really enjoyed the Edge and have 2 more cruises booked on her 1 SV &  1 IV. 

Pros:

Made the cabin seem bigger.

On a really hot day in port you can sit and enjoy the views in the comfort of the air conditioning 

On rainy, windy days you can also enjoy the views without being cold or getting rained on

Very hard to hear your neighbors on their "verandas" with this type of room

Room darkening blinds keeps the room very dark in the morning

Cons:

Captain can lock the windows.  This did not happen to us on our 7 night even though we had 2 very

rainy, windy days with high seas

You do not feel as much air as you do on a regular balcony

Cannot "open" the balcony to your neighbors like you can on S class,  this is great when we travel with   

friends

Would stay in one of these cabins again with no problems.   I think it would be ideal for the Panama Canal cruise.   The room is nice and the bathrooms are great.   

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on the Edge but our preference would be for the S Class ships for a number of reasons but we certainly cruise E class again depending on itinerary.
Regarding the IV we enjoyed it overall but there are at least for us some significant issues with it as we do spend a lot of time in the cabin
The pro's, its an attractive light airy space and the noise from neighbouring balconies is much reduced.
The main con's, you cannot enjoy the balcony as a balcony and keep the room cool or dark depending on the climate or time of day as you can with a traditional balcony.  If say you are in a warm humid climate like the Med late in the year as we were,  the sun will be low in the sky and stream into the rooms and they become like a greenhouse unless you shut the blind the AC cannot cope. So the window can't be open and so no balcony. The blind which is close to the outside window can not be closed while the window is open and radiates a lot of heat when shut.
Also the windows can spoil the view, something that was an obvious potential problem before even setting foot on board. There are four panes of sometimes dirty tinted glass to look through if you're sat on the balcony. On a traditional balcony the windows and balcony glass can easily be individually cleaned by the room attendant or even yourself if they get salt encrusted, the IV's cannot and ours remained dirty for four days after some bad weather which caused the captain to force close the windows.
The only purpose now for the bifold inner doors seems to be for privacy (now they are frosted) they do not block any light and are just an obstacle to move because of the clumsy chairs which have now been changed thankfully.
The amount of space on the IV balcony is much reduced when compared to an S class balcony so no comfy relaxing loungers or table.
I think pictures speak louder than words sometimes so I'll post a few to illustrate.

Edited by JBare
typos, probably still more