John Heald is stuck in the UK :( Will not be able to cruise :(

matymil

5 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I think we all realize that the road to cruising is going to initially have some bumps.  The next month or so will reveal just what those bumps will be, probably including some that nobody anticipated.   I was sad at first when I realized we wouldn’t be cruising for the first couple of months (not until August 12), but now am grateful for the opportunity to watch and learn for the next six weeks. 

Yep - being a Beta tester can have its drawbacks !

Tom

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Some lead, many follow.  Choices are a good thing

I made a software/hardware(upgrade) jump at my office a couple of months ago - after holding off for a year on a new update. A few thousand later - and I find myself with bugs that slow down my efficiency. Yep.... Guess that I should have waited for the NEXT version (with all of its glitchiness).

4 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I made a software/hardware(upgrade) jump at my office a couple of months ago - after holding off for a year on a new update. A few thousand later - and I find myself with bugs that slow down my efficiency. Yep.... Guess that I should have waited for the NEXT version (with all of its glitchiness).

LOL, big difference between leading and “bleeding edge”

1 hour ago, Sam Ting said:

‘Oh what a tangled web we weave/When first we practice to deceive’ means that when you lie or act dishonestly you are initiating problems and a domino structure of complications which eventually run out of control  LOL. Looks like they got caught and now he doesn’t want to talk about it. 

Agree. What a tangled web.

1 hour ago, kleibo said:

I don't blame Carnival. This man has travelled the world and in his own words says  "Someone had in fact told me that my essential business letter from Carnival Cruise Line may not be enough"  and he didn't follow through to find out if it was enough and he was denied boarding.  His fault alone.

Agree.

Someone definitely screwed up - whether it be CCL or John himself, or a little of both. However, I would have made sure I was in the U.S. well-ahead (probably a week ahead at least) for the cruise.   I am sure Carnival would have put John up in a hotel for that time.   Mistakes by both parties involved. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

Why was this airplane scheduled entering into the US to begin with? And why didn't the airline notify its passengers they were canceled? If the ban was not to allow anyone from the UK? 

Because those with true essential business requirements can still travel, as well as US citizens, permanent residents, etc can also travel.

It is the reason that there are relatively few flights compared to normal.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nocl said:

Because those with true essential business requirements can still travel, as well as US citizens, permanent residents, etc can also travel.

It is the reason that there are relatively few flights compared to normal.

As if this sneaky virus is selective and intelligent enough to only touch not “true essential objects”.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kirtihk said:

As if this sneaky virus is selective and intelligent enough to only touch not “true essential objects”.

The difference is because those with valid essential business reasons have an essential reason to travel  instead of someone claiming that going on a cruise as a passenger is essential.

• Like 3

On 7/1/2021 at 8:24 AM, matymil said:

According to John it's solely because of this new variant that is in the UK right now 

I'm confused. Is there some other new UK variant aside from the Delta variant that now comprises 99% of new UK cases? Because if it's just Delta that is causing the problem, that variant is already widespread worldwide. Every state has has cases. Though the UK's case rate is up recently, now about 6 times the US rate, adjusted for population.

That's actually somewhat worrisome, because the UK's vaccination rate is similar (actually a touch better) than the US rate. We already have Delta here, and if it can happen to them....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I'm confused. Is there some other new UK variant aside from the Delta variant that now comprises 99% of new UK cases? Because if it's just Delta that is causing the problem, that variant is already widespread worldwide. Every state has has cases. Though the UK's case rate is up recently, now about 6 times the US rate, adjusted for population.

That's actually somewhat worrisome, because the UK's vaccination rate is similar (actually a touch better) than the US rate. We already have Delta here, and if it can happen to them....

Unfortunately, there's many areas/states with low vaccination rates (pick your reason) and with a more easily transmitted version like the one which is becoming predominant it's a recipe for mini surges/waves.

So easily preventable...

(edit... edit... edit... edit)  🙂

Tom

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Delta dominates UK and is quickly becoming dominant in the US. A holiday weekend should help. I haven't heard of much Gamma (the Brazilian variant). Check back in a few weeks.

I'm just going to chime in and note that while US Customs and Immigration / Homeland Security do not pre-clear pax at Heathrow, the airlines are expected to enforce any travel bans, allowing only those that have the appropriate documentation to board, based on what the destination country tells them is the current implementation/interpretation of the exceptions list.

These interpretations and implementations are constantly changing.

I have to deal with this all the time - I send staff all over the place, and have to work with US and foreign governments to get travel waivers in place to allow these movements that would otherwise not be permitted.  And sometimes the airlines don't understand them, or the rules of engagement change overnight, and people get refused boarding at their origin airport.

Perhaps John was not advised correctly regarding his Essential Worker letter, or maybe the US decided to tighten down on who was permitted in, without having to make a formal announcement about it.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, pe4all said:

Someone definitely screwed up - whether it be CCL or John himself, or a little of both. However, I would have made sure I was in the U.S. well-ahead (probably a week ahead at least) for the cruise.   I am sure Carnival would have put John up in a hotel for that time.   Mistakes by both parties involved. 

Very true. People are on here acting like 3 days ahead of time isn't enough (which it is) but you're helping to relaunch an entire industry and you're a pretty big name in that industry, you would want to be extra extra safe. What sucks is if he flew out 4 days early he would have been fine 😞 I'm sure Carnival could have found alot for him to do in the week leading up to the sailing in FL.

21 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Delta dominates UK and is quickly becoming dominant in the US. A holiday weekend should help. I haven't heard of much Gamma (the Brazilian variant). Check back in a few weeks.

Not worried about Delta as im not in that percentage of people that its currently affecting.  Neither was John Heald.  Time to move the restrictions from ALL over to the SOME that it is affecting and who will always be affected whether by personal circumstances or personal choice and carry on with life. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2021 at 6:09 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Ah, another twist caused by the virus.  I feel sorry for him and his fans who are about to be stood up by him.  You know what they say, always arrive 3 days before your cruise. 😁

He isn't "standing them up".  He was denied.  Big difference.

• Like 1