Has HAL ever done a round trip S.D. -Alaska?

LawDog61

We took a round trip to Alaska out of LA in 2019 on Princess and it was great. It’s not on 2022 schedule for Princess, of course 2022 is a unique year. There is a Carnival round trip out of LA, but not really interest in Carnival. Has HAL ever done such a trip out of S.D?  We did do a repositioning cruise form S.D. To Vancouver years ago. Thanks for any info.

50 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

We took a round trip to Alaska out of LA in 2019 on Princess and it was great. It’s not on 2022 schedule for Princess, of course 2022 is a unique year. There is a Carnival round trip out of LA, but not really interest in Carnival. Has HAL ever done such a trip out of S.D?  We did do a repositioning cruise form S.D. To Vancouver years ago. Thanks for any info.

Not that I have been aware of.  There were trips that began in SD as part of a sailing from FL, then that went through the canal, up the coast to SD, then on to AK and over to Japan if I recall.  

HAL used to offer a unique 14 day r/t Alaska from either Seattle or Vancouver that was port intensive (8-9 ports on average).  Sailing from San Diego or Los Angeles add extra sea days both directions and only offer 3 or 4 ports max. I’d much rather see them bring back the longer cruise with more ports from Seattle or Vancouver before attempting a sailing from San Diego to Alaska.  Same with Princess and LA.   Sadly with reduced fleets I don't see any of the above happening any time soon.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, LawDog61 said:

Has HAL ever done such a trip out of S.D?

Not any of which I am aware.  Princess has been consistent for years of having a round trip from San Francisco.  HAL?  No.  No reason to compete on such an itinerary with a fellow Company under the CCL umbrella would be my guess as to the reason.

Back in the early 90s HAL had some Alaska cruises that went over to eastern Russia. I put that in the back of my mind, thinking to take it 'some day'. Before 'some day' came it was off the future itineraries. 
I would still like to take that cruise. 

HAL has never done a round trip to Alaska from San Diego, to my knowledge, which goes back to my return to HAL in '92. 

11 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Back in the early 90s HAL had some Alaska cruises that went over to eastern Russia. I put that in the back of my mind, thinking to take it 'some day'. Before 'some day' came it was off the future itineraries. 
I would still like to take that cruise. 

HAL has never done a round trip to Alaska from San Diego, to my knowledge, which goes back to my return to HAL in '92. 

Now that’s one that would peek my interest.

3 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

HAL used to offer a unique 14 day r/t Alaska from either Seattle or Vancouver that was port intensive (8-9 ports on average).  

Those 14 day itineraries out of Seattle (never did one out of Vancouver) were our absolute favorite, especially because you got to visit ports that aren't on the regular circuit (Kodiak, Homer, and Anchorage).  Suspect they'll bring that back at some point because it sure was popular.  For now, we're happy to be booked on a 7 day just to get back up there this year!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, zelker said:

Those 14 day itineraries out of Seattle (never did one out of Vancouver) were our absolute favorite, especially because you got to visit ports that aren't on the regular circuit (Kodiak, Homer, and Anchorage).  Suspect they'll bring that back at some point because it sure was popular.  For now, we're happy to be booked on a 7 day just to get back up there this year!

I sincerely hope that HAL will bring back the 14 day Alaska and include Kodiak again!  We did it 4 times and it enabled us to visit friends in Anchorage.  My Homer Spit Salty Dawg pullover sweatshirt is wearing out.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Loreto said:

I sincerely hope that HAL will bring back the 14 day Alaska and include Kodiak again!  We did it 4 times and it enabled us to visit friends in Anchorage.  My Homer Spit Salty Dawg pullover sweatshirt is wearing out.

Kodiak is a port I’d like to go back to, Homer on the other hand …. “Meh”. 

If HAL brought back the 14 day in future I’d love to see it be round trip Vancouver include Glacier Bay and either College Fjord or Endicott Arm for scenic viewing.  For ports - Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Icy Strait, Sitka, Kodiak, Whittier, Valdez and Prince Rupert.  Not sure you could get all that in due to distances, but one can dream. 

• Like 2

The Vancouver 14 day roundtrip were scheduled for Vancouver for 2020, after doing them out of Seattle for many years. Canceled by Covid. We did the 14 day out of Seattle in 2019. Fantastic cruise.

14 day out of San Diego? Other than taking away 3 plus days each way sailing to the Seattle area, HAL sold off a critical portion of the fleet, so not a lot of extra capacity just sitting around. 

19 hours ago, rucrazy said:

The closest I seem to recall is San Francisco to Alaska round trip

These were really growing in popularity on Princess before the pandemic; especially with California cruisers who were tired of Mexico/Hawaii sailings.  I think HAL did a few, but Princess was really committed to it and will hopefully offer them again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

These were really growing in popularity on Princess before the pandemic; especially with California cruisers who were tired of Mexico/Hawaii sailings.  I think HAL did a few, but Princess was really committed to it and will hopefully offer them again. 

Princess has offered a full season of 10 day round trip cruises from SFO to AK every year between May and September as far back as I can remember. In 2022 these cruises will be on Ruby Princess, and unless there is a ship swap the same will be offered in 2023 as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Princess has offered a full season of 10 day round trip cruises from SFO to AK every year between May and September as far back as I can remember. In 2022 these cruises will be on Ruby Princess, and unless there is a ship swap the same will be offered in 2023 as well.

I was thinking about the 7 day Pacific Northwest cruises that they were starting to do, my memory does funny things sometimes.😁

"IF" HAL were to ever offer the 14 night cruise again, I'd like to see it from Vancouver so it can spend more time in Alaska and not spend a precious port day in Victoria, like is required from Seattle.  Victoria is lovely, but NOT the reason most are cruising to Alaska. 

I came up with what I think would be a very workable itinerary and give a good blend of the tried and true as well as some less-visited ports.  HAL itinerary planners are you listening????  Even if they don't offer a full season it would be nice to see a handful of cruises like this a year.

Day        Port                                                                   Arrive                   Depart

1             Vancouver                                                                                      5pm

2             Cruising the Inside Passage         

3             Juneau                                                             11am                    9pm

4             Skagway                                                          7am                       9pm

5             Scenic Cruising Glacier Bay                         9am                       6pm

6             Icy Strait Point                                                7am                       6pm

7             Cruising the Gulf of Alaska

8             Kodiak                                                              7am                      4pm

9             Valdez                                                              noon                     6pm

10           Whittier                                                            8am                      8pm

11           Scenic Cruising Hubbard Glacier                2pm                      6pm

12           Sitka                                                                 8am                      6pm

13           Ketchikan                                                        8am                      6pm

14           Cruising the Inside Passage

15           Vancouver                                                       7am

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

"IF" HAL were to ever offer the 14 night cruise again, I'd like to see it from Vancouver so it can spend more time in Alaska and not spend a precious port day in Victoria, like is required from Seattle.  Victoria is lovely, but NOT the reason most are cruising to Alaska. 

I came up with what I think would be a very workable itinerary and give a good blend of the tried and true as well as some less-visited ports.  HAL itinerary planners are you listening????  Even if they don't offer a full season it would be nice to see a handful of cruises like this a year.

Day        Port                                                                   Arrive                   Depart

1             Vancouver                                                                                      5pm

2             Cruising the Inside Passage         

3             Juneau                                                             11am                    9pm

4             Skagway                                                          7am                       9pm

5             Scenic Cruising Glacier Bay                         9am                       6pm

6             Icy Strait Point                                                7am                       6pm

7             Cruising the Gulf of Alaska

8             Kodiak                                                              7am                      4pm

9             Valdez                                                              noon                     6pm

10           Whittier                                                            8am                      8pm

11           Scenic Cruising Hubbard Glacier                2pm                      6pm

12           Sitka                                                                 8am                      6pm

13           Ketchikan                                                        8am                      6pm

14           Cruising the Inside Passage

15           Vancouver                                                       7am

When may I sign up for such an itinerary?  Add  couple of days to include Anchorage with a couple of days in port to allow for Denali tours it would be perfect in my opinion.