Quarantine in UK prior to getting on September cruise on the Regal Princess out of Southampton

gvre

We are scheduled to go on the Regal Princess out of Southampton on September 30th and coming into London from Los Angeles on the September 23rd. Right now US citizens must quarantine for 14 days weather vaccinated or not. Also must submit to numerous covid tests.

Do you think they will remove this by September ? Our final payment is coming up. We are both vaccinated. We will not go if we will have to quarantine.

Thanks for your thoughts

• Like 1

There will be sn announcement regarding travel arrangements later this week, that might result in a change in travel restrictions.

Personally, I think quarantine will no longer be required for fully vaccinated visitors by September,  but obviously that is just my personal opinion, and I can appreciate your dilemma.

• Like 1

Tough to say - the UK is seeing a surge in cases and hospitalisations again and recently paused their reopening. They are hoping to get back on track with easing of restrictions in the next two weeks. All of my family still live there and most of them are in the medical field. My niece works at one of the biggest hospitals in the country and, after rejoicing a few months ago about closing down their Covid wards, they have now reopened two of them! It's a back and forth, up and down kind of thing. Seriously hoping that travel stuff and quarantine gets lifted as I need to get back there for my sister's wedding (that has already been postponed 3 times due to Covid).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SandiNelson said:

Our cruise, on the Regal, is scheduled to leave November 3rd. I can only hope if anyone hears of any changes that you will post.

Our cruise on the Island Princess Oct 19 Southampton to Rome was cancelled by Princess. I have been reading the UK newspapers and find it all unclear for folks traveling from the US to the UK; the rules appear to change rapidly and are written in terms for UK residents. There will be a "Freedom Day" announcement for July 19 that is causing concern for some and joy for others. 

The rules within the EU are also ever changing by country. 

While I really want to see my UK family it is a relief not to be stressed by traveling there this year. Hopefully they have their act together for 2022 and we are still fit enough to enjoy it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

Our cruise on the Island Princess Oct 19 Southampton to Rome was cancelled by Princess. I have been reading the UK newspapers and find it all unclear for folks traveling from the US to the UK; the rules appear to change rapidly and are written in terms for UK residents. There will be a "Freedom Day" announcement for July 19 that is causing concern for some and joy for others. 

The rules within the EU are also ever changing by country. 

While I really want to see my UK family it is a relief not to be stressed by traveling there this year. Hopefully they have their act together for 2022 and we are still fit enough to enjoy it. 

Currently, both the US and Canada are on the "amber list". This means anyone travelling from those countries to enter the UK (regardless of vaccination status) must quarantine for 10 days. You also need to provide 2 negative tests at day 2 and 8 to be released from quarantine. You can be released earlier under their test to release system if you pay for a private test around day 5ish...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SandiNelson said:

Our cruise, on the Regal, is scheduled to leave November 3rd. I can only hope if anyone hears of any changes that you will post.

We are booked on that cruise also.  If you have not, you might want to check out the Roll Call for this cruise, where the news you and we are hoping for will most likely be posted there first.

The announcement came out from the UK government today and UK citizens can travel to "Amber" countries(eg Canada, US) without having to do the 10 day quarantine before returning.  However, speaking for Canada, UK citizens still can not come into the country.   This change will take place July 19.

In regards to Canadian/Americans wanting to go to the UK, there are no changes to the rules.  So we are still in a wait and see whether we will be able to go.

Unless, the COVID case counts plateau in the uk, I am very doubtful they will allow us in.

I am going to pay my final payment, knowing that I can get a FCC if I can.  I have booked another cruise in 2022 that I can apply it against.   Also remember, if you book a flexible flight through Ezair, you can cancel up to 45 days and get a full refund on the flight.

I hope we can go in September, but I think it is 50/50....

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

The announcement came out from the UK government today and UK citizens can travel to "Amber" countries(eg Canada, US) without having to do the 10 day quarantine before returning.  However, speaking for Canada, UK citizens still can not come into the country.   This change will take place July 19.

In regards to Canadian/Americans wanting to go to the UK, there are no changes to the rules.  So we are still in a wait and see whether we will be able to go.

Unless, the COVID case counts plateau in the uk, I am very doubtful they will allow us in.

I am going to pay my final payment, knowing that I can get a FCC if I can.  I have booked another cruise in 2022 that I can apply it against.   Also remember, if you book a flexible flight through Ezair, you can cancel up to 45 days and get a full refund on the flight.

I hope we can go in September, but I think it is 50/50....

In the statement:

"The government is taking a phased approach to amending requirements and is already exploring plans to remove quarantine for vaccinated non-UK residents arriving from amber countries later this summer where it is safe to do so."

9 minutes ago, billco said:

In the statement:

"The government is taking a phased approach to amending requirements and is already exploring plans to remove quarantine for vaccinated non-UK residents arriving from amber countries later this summer where it is safe to do so."

Maybe Canada and US will move to green list at some point, too...

We are all UK citizens (living in Canada) but not residents - I wonder if that would make a difference as to whether we would need to quarantine on entering UK? Also, my 10 year old is obviously not vaccinated as too young so that throws another curve ball. Sigh. Baby steps.

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Maybe Canada and US will move to green list at some point, too...

We are all UK citizens (living in Canada) but not residents - I wonder if that would make a difference as to whether we would need to quarantine on entering UK? Also, my 10 year old is obviously not vaccinated as too young so that throws another curve ball. Sigh. Baby steps.

It is very confusing for everyone.  I am also on the Nov 3 Regal cruise and fully vaccinated.  Final payment is Jul 25.  As of today, the US and UK do not have any agreements in place regard the return of normal travel between the two countries. I am hoping they make changes for fully vaccinated US citizens and UK citizens coming here, especially in light of the 99% of new cases in the US are among the unvaccinated.

• Like 1

The U.K.’s  focus is on the infection rate per 100,000 and the US has failed to meet the green list.  I think the list is reviewed every three weeks.  PM Johnson had predicted that the travel restrictions would be lifted May 17.  Then came the G7.  No announcements.  So there have been many promises to create a US/U.K. Travel Corridor from both governments.  The U.K. Is dealing with the Delta Variant, despite  their high vaccination rate. 

Just another point of interest.  About a  month ago, the U.K. did put Portugal on the green list and then shortly afterwards took it off with a few days notice, creating chaos for their citizens vacationing in Portugal. 

Perhaps some U.K. Posters will give more insight.  We changed our travel plans last month and dropped the U.K. Portion from our trip for this year.  Our trip is mid August. 

13 hours ago, caribill said:

Come out now.jpg

Reminds me more of situation in Canada - here in Ontario, we are the most restricted of any "western" state I believe.  We are the only place in N.A. with zero indoor dining.

Our case load is about 1/100K population.  And the Delta variant is not a big concern out of a small number of isolated situations and has not even outnumbered the Alpha variant as yet.

4 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

We are all UK citizens (living in Canada) but not residents

I don't think so.  Yes, a person can have dual nationality, but I was born in Ontario and do not have UK citizen rights/status.  Yes, we are all "citizens" of the British Commonwealth as Canada is an active participant and our official head of state is the Queen's representative, the Governor-General, but we are not accorded the rights of UK citizens AFAIK.  Our PM is head of government you could say.

2 hours ago, milolii said:

The U.K.’s  focus is on the infection rate per 100,000

I wonder what rate they are looking for.  Ontario, Canada, is running at about 1/100,000 recently.  That is pretty minimal to me.  And other parts of country will be better than that.  IDK our national running rate.

31 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I don't think so.  Yes, a person can have dual nationality, but I was born in Ontario and do not have UK citizen rights/status.  Yes, we are all "citizens" of the British Commonwealth as Canada is an active participant and our official head of state is the Queen's representative, the Governor-General, but we are not accorded the rights of UK citizens AFAIK.  Our PM is head of government you could say.

I was born in the UK....I'm only a Permanent Resident in Canada (though my kids hold Canadian, American, AND British citizenships...). Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I was born in the UK....I'm only a Permanent Resident in Canada (though my kids hold Canadian, American, AND British citizenships...). Lol

That makes sense now for your situation.  (I wouldn't mind having all those citizenships!).

• Like 1

I am on the Princess oct 23 sailing. Hoping things changed. Scheduled to be in England by the 20 th. Currently even if a country is green  you need to take a test three days before you leave and two days after you arrive. When in transit to different hotels, it will be hard to take-a test and get the result sent to where you might be. What a mess. I also have a Cunard cruise booked Nov 1. The way they are going, that looks doubtful. I may be on your Nov 3 cruise. 

20 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

I am on the Princess oct 23 sailing. Hoping things changed. Scheduled to be in England by the 20 th. Currently even if a country is green  you need to take a test three days before you leave and two days after you arrive. When in transit to different hotels, it will be hard to take-a test and get the result sent to where you might be. What a mess. I also have a Cunard cruise booked Nov 1. The way they are going, that looks doubtful. I may be on your Nov 3 cruise. 

It depends on what tests they require. My family in the UK have been doing self tests for many months now, with results available within an hour. These tests are free and very simple. If that is all that's required, you would be home free (as long as US moves to green list).

We are Brits, booked on a two week cruise out of Southampton to the Med on Sky in late October. Fairly positive that the cruise will go ahead, but unsure about excursions.

But, if I was from Canada or the US I would not pay the balance. Just too many uncertainties,  with rules changing at the last minute. 

• Like 1

I e-mailed a friend of mine who lives in Essex and she works in the medical related field.  She is a paramedic and also a nurse practioner who is allowed to give jabs.  She said that there would be no lifting of restrictions over the next few months for those from red listed countries but she expected an announcement in the next few days for people from amber listed countries who have had two shots of vaccine and a negative PCR test.  They would be exempt from quarantining. 

• Like 1