Labadee, Haiti-What happens if unrest?

I’m booked on a caribbean cruise that goes here. I wonder if there is further unrest if they will be able to go to that stop.Do they give obc or a discount if you are unable to go to a stop? I guess this is premature, just curious. It would be nice if the ship stopped somewhere else instead.

They will either replace the port or change the itinerary... There is no discount or OBC if that happens. The cruise contract pasted below gives them the right to change or cancel a port... 

7. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:
a. Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled
sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call,
destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 7.e below, and except as provided in Section 4.e or Section 4.f
regarding an actual or suspected COVID-19 infection, and except where a refund is required by law as a result of a declaration
of a public health emergency or government order cancelling the Cruise or delaying boarding of the Vessel by Passengers by
24 hours or more, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss,
compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.
b. In connection with a CruiseTour, Carrier has the same right to cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled
activity, departure or destination, or substitute another railcar, bus, destination or lodging or other component of the CruiseTour.
Except as provided in Section 7.e below, and except as provided in Section 4.e or Section 4.f regarding an actual or suspected
COVID-19 infection, and except where a refund is required by law as a result of a declaration of a public health emergency or
government order cancelling the Cruise or delaying boarding of the Vessel by Passengers by  24 hours or more, Carrier shall
not be liable for any claim by Passenger whatsoever, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of
such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.
c. By way of example, and not limitation, Carrier may, without liability (except as provided in Section 7.e below with respect to
mechanical failures, except as provided in Section 4.e or Section 4.f regarding an actual or suspected COVID-19 infection, and
except where a refund is required by law as a result of a declaration of a public health emergency or government order
cancelling the Cruise or delaying boarding of the Vessel by Passengers by 24 hours or more), deviate from any scheduled
sailing and may otherwise land Passenger and her property at any port if Carrier believes that the voyage or any Passenger or
property may be hindered or adversely affected as a result of hostilities, blockages, prevailing weather conditions, labor
conflicts, strikes onboard or ashore, breakdown of Vessel, congestion, docking difficulties, medical or lifesaving emergencies,
declared pandemics, public health emergencies or outbreak of communicable disease, quarantines, national or regional
emergencies or any other cause whatsoever.
d. Carrier shall have the right to comply with any orders, recommendations, or directions whatsoever given by any
governmental entity or by persons purporting to act with such authority and such compliance shall not be deemed a breach of
this Agreement entitling the Passenger to assert any claim for liability, compensation or refund except as provided in Section
4.e or Section 4.f regarding an actual or suspected COVID-19 infection, and except where a refund is required by law as a result
of a declaration of a public health emergency or government order cancelling the Cruise or delaying boarding of the Vessel by
Passengers by 24 hours or more.
e. In the event that a Cruise (or the cruise component of a CruiseTour) is canceled or terminated early due to mechanical
failures:
i) Passenger shall have a right to a full refund of the Cruise Fare if the Cruise is canceled in full, or a partial refund if the cruise is
terminated early;
ii) Carrier may cover or reimburse Passenger for additional costs (e.g. airline change fees) as deemed appropriate by the Carrier.
iii) If the Passenger has travelled to the Vessel Passenger shall have a right to transportation (by means selected by the Carrier)
to the Vessel’s scheduled port of disembarkation or the Passenger’s home city; and
iv) Passenger shall have a right to lodging (selected by the Cruise Line) if disembarkation and an overnight stay in an
unscheduled port are required due to the Cruise or cruise component of a CruiseTour being cancelled or terminated early
because of such mechanical failures.

3 hours ago, ericfromri said:

i don't think anyone will lose sleep over missing a stop at haiti.    i am sure whatever the cruise line does, will be a fine replacement.

Some people really seem to like the private stops like Labadee. I'm not one of them. We missed Labadee once because of weather. We sailed right by at swimming distance. In return we had a much longer day at our next port, San Juan PR. I was a very happy sailor.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Some people really seem to like the private stops like Labadee. I'm not one of them. We missed Labadee once because of weather. We sailed right by at swimming distance. In return we had a much longer day at our next port, San Juan PR. I was a very happy sailor.

I agree. Last time we called there we said if we visited again we'd stay on the ship

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

wow RI and Explorer.   two of my favorites.  RI here also  although have been in Iceland for a few months.

If cruise ships do dock at Labadee, and there is unrest in Haiti, I would doubt the ships would allow any outside of the facilities excursions.  But any unrest will most likely be in the Port-au-Prince area, which is to the south.  Appears the assassins have been caught; just a matter of catching who was backing them.

24 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

16 minutes ago, Bobal said:

I agree. Last time we called there we said if we visited again we'd stay on the ship

I LOVE the private islands.  Why you might ask, because most everyone gets off the ship and we DON'T😇 love the almost empty ship

• Like 9

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

If cruise ships do dock at Labadee, and there is unrest in Haiti, I would doubt the ships would allow any outside of the facilities excursions.  But any unrest will most likely be in the Port-au-Prince area, which is to the south.  Appears the assassins have been caught; just a matter of catching who was backing them.

i dont think there will ever be stability. one of the most corrupt places on planet Earth.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, christinand said:

I’m booked on a caribbean cruise that goes here. I wonder if there is further unrest if they will be able to go to that stop.Do they give obc or a discount if you are unable to go to a stop? I guess this is premature, just curious. It would be nice if the ship stopped somewhere else instead.

OBC?  Discount?  What you will get is a refund of port charges only, which might be a few dollars....but no, you are still on a ship, and you only pay for days on the ship.  You aren't paying for a stop, so you would be entitled to no money.  I have had ports canceled from everything including "too foggy" to "hostile air force buzzing the ship, previous cruise".  

16 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

OBC?  Discount?  What you will get is a refund of port charges only, which might be a few dollars....but no, you are still on a ship, and you only pay for days on the ship.  You aren't paying for a stop, so you would be entitled to no money.  I have had ports canceled from everything including "too foggy" to "hostile air force buzzing the ship, previous cruise".  

Well actually we missed a port stop to Coco Cay as the ship couldn't dock there due to high winds and got an OBC of $90, so it does happen

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Port fees for missed ports while enroute become OBC. If an itinerary is change prior to initial embarkation, you don't get anything.

1 hour ago, Bobal said:

Well actually we missed a port stop to Coco Cay as the ship couldn't dock there due to high winds and got an OBC of $90, so it does happen

Nice - You are lucky and I think you had an unusual occurrence.    We've missed so many ports,  or had complete itinerary changes over the  years that we've lost count.  Been cruising for many   years and likely missed Coco Cay at least 15 times.   I don't recall ever receiving  any type of OBC for that or any other missed port. 

m

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Nice - You are lucky and I think you had an unusual occurrence.    We've missed so many ports,  or had complete itinerary changes over the  years that we've lost count.  Been cruising for many   years and likely missed Coco Cay at least 15 times.   I don't recall ever receiving  any type of OBC for that or any other missed port. 

m

Actually I just realised I was wrong. It wasn't OBC it was a FCC. I think it may have been because RC had made a big thing about having built the dock and no need to tender. We were one of the first ships due to dock there and were unable to due to high winds.

5 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Actually I just realised I was wrong. It wasn't OBC it was a FCC. I think it may have been because RC had made a big thing about having built the dock and no need to tender. We were one of the first ships due to dock there and were unable to due to high winds.

Thanks for the clarification- Still lucky!   We've missed many ports and no  FCC  for a missed port. 

M  

• Like 2

There's another thread about this too,

Either way first cruise back to Labadee is the Aug 15, Allure, so that'll be one to watch for info there.  I don't know if any ship has been down there since the shutdown.    

If they can't go there the itinerary will probably change unless it's ultra last minute.  Although that's about the same risk as hurricane season cruises with ports missed/changed.  (Especially this year where we're already at an E storm, that's currently near Long Island, NY)

It was several years ago but we got a pretty good amount of OBC for a shortened stop on the Freedom Christmas cruise.  @Ourusualbeach  was on board and probably remembers more than I do.  It was a very deeply discounted Christmas cruise to begin with.  I think we ended up with almost as much OBC as the cruise cost to begin with. I think the ship had apazod issues

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Same thing happened to us.....weather.  Though the ships have missed the port due to unrest (protests in small boats).   

Both times we missed it, I was like you, happy about it.  Not a fan of Labadee.  Liked it when it was a tendered port and more natural...but not now.  

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

I LOVE the private islands.  Why you might ask, because most everyone gets off the ship and we DON'T😇 love the almost empty ship

LOL...yup!  Best thing about them.  😄  Love the uncrowded ship and having lunch on the ship with an almost empty restaurant.  😉 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobal said:

I'm guessing it wasn't for missing the port but rather a refund of something your paid for.  Ships miss ports all the time for many reasons and they have never given OBC as a gift outside of an adjustment of port fees.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobal said:

I was on the FlowRider for the whole day on our last cruise to Labadee, we were supposed to go to Coco Cay but weather pushed us to Labadee.  Our friends had a nice beach day, I had a better FlowRider day.  It is a long way from Port Au Prince.

• Haha 1

I had a friend on a cruise on a different cruise line (i believe ncl) and she received 50.00 for missing a port, not a lot, but something. It would be nice to make a longer stop in puerto rico, i think the time is short there. Ultimately it may affect sales for the ship and they may be motivated to make change. Thanks for the replies.

Edited by christinand

59 minutes ago, molly361 said:

It was several years ago but we got a pretty good amount of OBC for a shortened stop on the Freedom Christmas cruise.  @Ourusualbeach  was on board and probably remembers more than I do.  It was a very deeply discounted Christmas cruise to begin with.  I think we ended up with almost as much OBC as the cruise cost to begin with. I think the ship had apazod issues

If I remember correctly we received $450 per person in OBC.  The good old days, can't see that happening now. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I'm guessing it wasn't for missing the port but rather a refund of something your paid for.  Ships miss ports all the time for many reasons and they have never given OBC as a gift outside of an adjustment of port fees.

Actually as I mentioned a few posts earlier (#14), I made a mistake, it was a FCC not OBC but I can assure you it was for missing Coco Cay

Edited by Bobal