Scheduled Arrival Time...

Minorhawk

51 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

This is true if checking bags.  I make do with just a carry-on  and backpack.  Didn't think about that.  I swear people way over pack.

Or, some of us prefer not to have to deal with a carry-on bag plus the "personal item" (i.e., electronics, medications, etc. - you're going to need to have something you carry on) throughout an airport connection. I've found it much less stressful to not have to worry about finding overhead bin space for my bag or having to retrieve it from a bin five rows behind me when deplaning.

My typical checked bag is no larger than the carry-on sizes, so no "overpacking." I just don't like the hassle...but then, I have status on a couple of airlines (lifetime elite, gained by way of too much business travel prior to semi-retirement), so I don't have to pay checked bag fees. At least, not until they change the rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Please make suggestions for what passengers who have early flights should do while waiting until late afternoon to check in. Also those who have to check out of hotels before noon. What do you propose that they should do in the intervening time, remembering that they have all their luggage.

Wait for your boarding time anywhere else but the cruise  terminal. There is a reason why Celebrity is spacing out the boarding process, to eliminate the huge crowds in the terminal that want to board as soon as the terminal opens.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Please make suggestions for what passengers who have early flights should do while waiting until late afternoon to check in. Also those who have to check out of hotels before noon. What do you propose that they should do in the intervening time, remembering that they have all their luggage.

cruisestitch, you posted this referencing my post #10. I appreciate the confidence in my ability to provide sufficient retort. However, it appears that I do not have to since so many other folks have rendered assistance. But, I would pose this question. Why should I or anyone else feel responsible to help someone circumvent the specific order of things. I do not feel obligated. Poster #18 references a previous post as harsh. It is not harsh at all, it's reality within a logical statement. 

Celebrity is not obligated to CYA, nor is anyone else when you have made your own choices. We are susceptible to the changing nuances of travel and at one time or another will experience inconveniences and/or unpleasantries. It's all in the game. Suck it up and figure things out for yourselves.  

If you are staying at a hotel and have to check out most hotels will hold your luggage, so leave the luggage and if there is no place within walking distance get a Uber to take you to a:

-restaurant for lunch

-shopping mall ( lunch & pick up wine to take on board 

-movie theater 

-museum 

In Fort Lauderdale

- take the hop on hop off boat on the intercoastal

-ride the Sun Trolley

- antique car museum

-Everglades airboat tour

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

cruisestitch, you posted this referencing my post #10. I appreciate the confidence in my ability to provide sufficient retort. However, it appears that I do not have to since so many other folks have rendered assistance. But, I would pose this question. Why should I or anyone else feel responsible to help someone circumvent the specific order of things. I do not feel obligated. Poster #18 references a previous post as harsh. It is not harsh at all, it's reality within a logical statement. 

Celebrity is not obligated to CYA, nor is anyone else when you have made your own choices. We are susceptible to the changing nuances of travel and at one time or another will experience inconveniences and/or unpleasantries. It's all in the game. Suck it up and figure things out for yourselves.  

How does asking for advice imply that anyone should "feel responsible to help"? Asking for advice doesn't mean the person feels "entitled". People are free to offer advice or move along. If you feel no "responsibility to help", move along....

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Not Fort Lauderdale airport (Delta terminal).  Minimal seating and only one food vendor accessible once you have gotten your luggage, as I recall it’s a Starbucks near baggage claim

That's still a good bit better than sitting outside the terminal.  There is no shortage of places nearby. 

Yes, luggage is an issue, but we've all come into a bar, restaurant, or cafe with our luggage before.  It can happen again.

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

If you are staying at a hotel and have to check out most hotels will hold your luggage, so leave the luggage and if there is no place within walking distance get a Uber to take you to a:

-restaurant for lunch

-movie theater 

-museum 

In Fort Lauderdale

-ride the Sun Trolley

- antique car museum

-Everglades airboat tour

Thank you. Most helpful for those who don’t know what is available in Fort Lauderdale.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

How does asking for advice imply that anyone should "feel responsible to help"? Asking for advice doesn't mean the person feels "entitled". People are free to offer advice or move along. If you feel no "responsibility to help", move along....

Actually, I did give advice. The last sentence of my post #28. The reasons for that advice, everything else in that post. The best suggestions are not always what you want to hear. And, enlightenment does not always come from your friends.

5 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Actually, I did give advice. The last sentence of my post #28. The reasons for that advice, everything else in that post. The best suggestions are not always what you want to hear. And, enlightenment does not always come from your friends.

"Suck it up and figure things out for yourselves" seems to imply that you do not believe people should ever ask for help or advice. I am curious what you think the purpose of this site is. To me, it has always seemed to be for the purpose of asking for and sharing information, advice, and experiences. If you feel that people should always "suck it up and figure things out for themselves", then why do you spend time here? Or should I try to figure that out for myself as well?

• Like 10

On 7/12/2021 at 10:12 AM, Minorhawk said:

When I did my online boarding info, they gave me an arrival time of 4:30-5pm. Is that set in stone, or can we arrive earlier than that (Noon)? Will they turn us away and make us come back? We like getting on the ship early and get settled. Any info on this new process is appreciated.

Thanks!!

It is such a nice thing to board early, I'm sorry you ended up with a late check in, but it's so great you were able to get a cabin for your cruise.  Did you download and go to the phone app?  You can see if there are any other openings for earlier check in/boarding, or call Celebrity to see if they know of earlier boarding time slots are available.  And the idea of seeing if your hotel allows late check out or will hold your luggage while you use a taxi or uber or even walk around to go see some things in Ft Lauderdale, or go to have lunch is possibly a good idea.  There are a few tours that could take up some of the day, too.  Have a wonderful time when you do board your sailing.  

26 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

"Suck it up and figure things out for yourselves" seems to imply that you do not believe people should ever ask for help or advice. I am curious what you think the purpose of this site is. To me, it has always seemed to be for the purpose of asking for and sharing information, advice, and experiences. If you feel that people should always "suck it up and figure things out for themselves", then why do you spend time here? Or should I try to figure that out for myself as well?

My posts on this thread are pertinent to this thread only and in response to this OP only. Generalize all you want to, young lady. In this case, his concerns and subsequent resolution are with Celebrity, not CC. From those interactions he must choose what to do. In other words....well, you know.    

3 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

My posts on this thread are pertinent to this thread only and in response to this OP only. Generalize all you want to, young lady. In this case, his concerns and subsequent resolution are with Celebrity, not CC. From those interactions he must choose what to do. In other words....well, you know.    

Fortunately, aside from the "advice" you provided, the original poster did get a meaningful answer to his question about whether boarding times are being enforced currently by Celebrity as well as some helpful tips about how to spend his pre-boarding time in Ft. Lauderdale. Seems he was not left to suck it up and figure it out for himself after all, thanks to many helpful posters.

• Like 10

Ok...I am the OP here. I asked the question because in the 14 cruises I have taken in the past, I never had a boarding time. I did not check in earlier, because I booked the cruise only 6 days in advance. These boards used to be a place where one could ask a very honest question and get a very quick, non-judgmental response. It amazes me in the threads how quick people are to come down on others. I wasn't whining about the boarding time...I was trying to understand if this time was etched in stone because I have never seen a boarding time before. 

Thank you to those who took time to respond to my question. To the "Keyboard Cowboys," I hope your day gets better!!

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Wow, that was pretty harsh. He just booked this sailing last night for this weekend, so he didn't have any other check-in options. Pre-COVID, many lines didn't care about boarding times and didn't enforce them. I think he is asking a perfectly reasonable question. He isn't suggesting he WILL line-jump. He is simply asking if boarding times are being enforced post-COVID where they never were before.

Fair comment. I perhaps misinterpreted the intention of the OP.

1 hour ago, Minorhawk said:

Ok...I am the OP here. I asked the question because in the 14 cruises I have taken in the past, I never had a boarding time. I did not check in earlier, because I booked the cruise only 6 days in advance. These boards used to be a place where one could ask a very honest question and get a very quick, non-judgmental response. It amazes me in the threads how quick people are to come down on others. I wasn't whining about the boarding time...I was trying to understand if this time was etched in stone because I have never seen a boarding time before. 

Thank you to those who took time to respond to my question. To the "Keyboard Cowboys," I hope your day gets better!!

Gratuities and rule enforcement (embarkation windows, dress codes, chair hogs, etc) will always result in the most "spirited" responses, has been this way for decades and will most likely continue for decades... 

On 7/12/2021 at 12:28 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

This should go without saying (bad pun!), if you want to try this its a good idea to not mention your embarkment window to anyone at the terminal; I would imagine if one asks the question "can I board earlier than my embarkment window" they will most likely say "no".

According to the reports I've read, they are checking for your assigned boarding time. 

8 hours ago, jelayne said:

-restaurant for lunch

-movie theater 

-museum 

In Fort Lauderdale

-ride the Sun Trolley

- antique car museum

-Everglades airboat tour

Spot on response. The items listed in the first section could apply to virtually any port. It is really no more difficult to research specific things to do than anything else related to one's trip.

I have never been one to rush to the ship to check in. Do people really calculate the loss of being able to have lunch on board ship as a "thing"? 

In the mornings before afternoon check-ins on cruises, I've:

• checked out a street festival in the Gothic quarter in Barcelona
  • had an early alfresco lunch in front of the Pantheon in Rome
  • had a magnificent brunch with a view of the Parthenon on the rooftop of my hotel in Athens
  • walked the area around my hotel discovering new things (Istanbul)
  • visited the upper floor of St Marks in Venice to see the bronze horses and the mosaics up close and look down on the piazza
  • gone to museums (Rome, Athens)
  • walked the Art Deco district (near my hotel) in Miami Beach
  • can't even start with Fort Lauderdale as my family lived there many years....much to do...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Not Fort Lauderdale airport (Delta terminal).  Minimal seating and only one food vendor accessible once you have gotten your luggage, as I recall it’s a Starbucks near baggage claim

There are other options pre-security. May not be at your terminal, but you can get there. Rent a cart for luggage or just wheel it.

image.thumb.png.b829466929b64b5b2e109c830777c5aa.png

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 7/13/2021 at 4:13 PM, Minorhawk said:

Well said. “Keyboard cowboys”, apparently have all the wrong answers.

For those that implied attempts at line jumping,  need to remember that those with earlier times assigned would not be denied their time.

I’m reading these posts because we too are looking for advice, not snarky answers. We have a concierge luncheon that starts at 12:30pm and that’s our check in time. We will arrive a bit earlier and take our chances. We don’t want to miss the luncheon opportunity!

I hope you were able to check in earlier!

Edited by BelloMundo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BelloMundo said:

For those that implied attempts at line jumping,  need to remember that those with earlier times assigned would not be denied their time.

I’m reading these posts because we too are looking for advice, not snarky answers. We have a concierge luncheon that starts at 12:30pm and that’s our check in time. We will arrive a bit earlier and take our chances. We don’t want to miss the luncheon opportunity!

FYI the boarding day Concierge lunch is no longer being held on embarkation day.  It is now on  sea day.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

FYI the boarding day Concierge lunch is no longer being held on embarkation day.  It is now on  sea day.

You beat me to it! 😊

Isn’t it the second day of the cruise? (Still a sea day).

Edited by C-Dragons

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Not always. I was surprised to find it on boarding day on Millennium in Alaska. May have changed by now, but...

4 hours ago, jelayne said:

4 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

You beat me to it! 😊

Isn’t it the second day of the cruise? (Still a sea day).

I said the same thing the other day and was corrected about a half dozen times before I knew what was happening. 🤣

10 hours ago, BelloMundo said:

My son and daughter in law were on the Equinox last month. 

They had a 1:30 assigned arrival time. 

At 1:21 they sent a pic from the Sunset Bar, drinks in hand. 

They simply tired of hanging around the hotel, arrived at the port around 12:30, and followed instructions. 

• Thanks 1