Balcony Question or as it may also be known how long is a piece of string

Dinglebert

So are in our brief cruising history we have been mainly inside cabins.  In part because we have also been paying for the children in the cabin next to us (they have been our children not random children).

We did an ocean view on top deck of RCI with massive windows which was enjoyable but only because it was a single child trip and we weren't paying for him to have a cabin on his own the the cabin we had allowed him a single bed rather than a camp bed .

One of our cruises for next year has been moved due to the obvious reasons a couple of time.  It will just be the two of us at last.  We should have been sailing on it this week which made me go and check the booking.

It Azura next April and again its an inside cabin.  We know the cabin well and its location which we have had before and like.   I needed to phone the agent as the date of paying the balance was wrong (still showing for this years cruise as was).    Decided to price up what a balcony would be.

In short it would be £760 upgrade with a £140 extra in room credit, so in effect £620.   The cabins left are on Lido, Riveria and E deck.  The ones on E deck are described as being sheltered and at the front of the ship.  From what I see it would be large holes cut into the ship!   Lido would be under the pool I am told so also a bit more sheltered.

The piece of string question is as to be expected.  Is having a balcony worth roughly £90 a day?  Our cabin time in the past has been minimal.  Shower time really.   We did find we sat a bit longer when we had the view on RCI although being top of ship and through Biscay did make it just a bit moving too much for a member of the party.

I prefer balconies for the light- but that's me. The outside space and being able to sit on your balcony is a bonus. However just be careful with your pricing as P&O will charge you the same price as the cabin was on the day you booked if it's higher, not today's price. I hope that helps.

17 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I prefer balconies for the light- but that's me. The outside space and being able to sit on your balcony is a bonus. However just be careful with your pricing as P&O will charge you the same price as the cabin was on the day you booked if it's higher, not today's price. I hope that helps.

Interesting.  It was the agent who stated the price.

Personally, I wouldn’t pay the extra for balconies in those areas, the Forward E deck balconies are cut out of the hull and steel fronted.  Lido balconies directly under public area including Gym so can be noisy.  Riviera balconies are shaded and quite dark. 

so I would keep my money and possibly treat myself to The Retreat, now if it was an aft facing or a mid deck balcony my answer might be different. 

Is it £90 per day or £90 per day extra...personally I wouldn't want a balcony on any of the decks you stated...on Azura/ Ventura I would compromise between an inside and a balcony and have an outside cabin on P deck...I love the convenience of P deck outside cabins...wouldn't have an outside cabin on any other deck though...just P deck.

8 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Is it £90 per day or £90 per day extra...personally I wouldn't want a balcony on any of the decks you stated...on Azura/ Ventura I would compromise between an inside and a balcony and have an outside cabin on P deck...I love the convenience of P deck outside cabins...wouldn't have an outside cabin on any other deck though...just P deck.

Its £90 a day extra.  We have been discussing it and I am tending towards leaving it alone.  Thanks for replies.   We are inside on P deck just a quick 30 seconds to the public areas.   We do find ourselves people,sea watching and relaxing anyway most of our free time.

Edited by Dinglebert
  • Like 1

I actually disagree about the outsides, I had an obstructed view outside on E deck, carefully picked for minimal obstruction, same layout as a balcony room.  It was great. I wouldn’t be able to sleep with the curtains behind my bed head

Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. I am used to sailing in inside cabins and purely on a personal front wouldn't pay an extra £90 per day to have a balcony - anywhere, on any ship... But that is me.

3 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

So are in our brief cruising history we have been mainly inside cabins.  In part because we have also been paying for the children in the cabin next to us (they have been our children not random children).

I can’t stop laughing! Brilliant.

Always a balcony for us.

4 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

We did an ocean view on top deck of RCI with massive windows which was enjoyable but only because it was a single child trip and we weren't paying for him to have a cabin on his own the the cabin we had allowed him a single bed rather than a camp bed .

One of our cruises for next year has been moved due to the obvious reasons a couple of time.  It will just be the two of us at last.  We should have been sailing on it this week which made me go and check the booking.

It Azura next April and again its an inside cabin.  We know the cabin well and its location which we have had before and like.   I needed to phone the agent as the date of paying the balance was wrong (still showing for this years cruise as was).    Decided to price up what a balcony would be.

In short it would be £760 upgrade with a £140 extra in room credit, so in effect £620.   The cabins left are on Lido, Riveria and E deck.  The ones on E deck are described as being sheltered and at the front of the ship.  From what I see it would be large holes cut into the ship!   Lido would be under the pool I am told so also a bit more sheltered.

The piece of string question is as to be expected.  Is having a balcony worth roughly £90 a day?  Our cabin time in the past has been minimal.  Shower time really.   We did find we sat a bit longer when we had the view on RCI although being top of ship and through Biscay did make it just a bit moving too much for a member of the party.

We always get a balcony cabin either mid ships mid deck or an aft balcony.

The cabins you are asking about are not locations we would want.

A superior deluxe, mini suite or suite cabins would accommodate all the family in 1 cabin.

Always a balcony for us.I love my little "private" space. Morning coffee on the balcony is special to me. Even in cold climes we still use it, just with a blanket! Had an outside once but wouldn't do it again, just felt too claustrophobic. Too me it would  definitely be worth the money. 

• Like 1

I have always had an inside or outside but have a balcony for my Iona cruise. I am looking forward to having my own open space and as I am a cereal man for breakfast will use room service. The cabin is deluxe category so it is either deck 9 or deck 15. Deck 15 is better for scenery and whale watching but a long way down to the Glass House etc.

When She Who Must Obeyed cruises with me, a  balcony is mandatory. She uses it as her own private retreat and her cabin boy brings her coffee in a thermal mug every morning. When I cruise alone, an inside if fine for me as I'm not in the cabin much and the extra cost of the balcony per day for the little time I use it is an expense best used elsewhere.

To each his own.

Personal choice: for me, it would always be with a balcony as I want that feeling of open space and touch of extra luxury so that the holiday is more of a special occasion.

I am sure you will love the cruise whichever cabin you book.

Edited by Camberley

32 minutes ago, Camberley said:

Personal choice: for me, it would always be with a balcony as I want that feeling of open space and touch of extra luxury so that the holiday is more of a special occasion.

I am sure you will love the cruise whichever cabin you book.

We have two for next year.  The one I was looking to upgrade and then a 14 days to cannaries in July.  We are looking to do an "special" cruise.  Perhaps suite for the next one after.  I have come out of retirement to vaccinate and all that money is going into an account which is only for the cruise.   OH is unfortunately going though Chemo at the moment with an op in the near future.  However once that is behind us then its time to choose.

Not too sure to go for a suite or to go cruising further afield.   Do like the look of Japan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dinglebert said:

We have two for next year.  The one I was looking to upgrade and then a 14 days to cannaries in July.  We are looking to do an "special" cruise.  Perhaps suite for the next one after.  I have come out of retirement to vaccinate and all that money is going into an account which is only for the cruise.   OH is unfortunately going though Chemo at the moment with an op in the near future.  However once that is behind us then its time to choose.

Not too sure to go for a suite or to go cruising further afield.   Do like the look of Japan.

Again, it is a very personal decision. For me, I'd rather go further afield to somewhere exotic than book a suite and go somewhere 'ordinary'. Especially if sailing with many of the mainstream lines where most the suites are nice but nothing special.

• Like 2

If masks are still being worn by then I’d want a balcony! I’ve only had a balcony once (on Britannia) and we loved it. It’s true in an inside you don’t spend a lot of time in one but we found we did spend more time in our balcony cabin. After we’ve been ashore we enjoyed a couple of hours chilling on the balcony before getting ready for dinner. 

We’ve booked a balcony next year to the Med as we’ve quite a few sea days and we’d had a couple of cruises cancelled so decided to splash out!

On all but one cruise we have always had a balcony, on that one cruise we had an outside cabin with large window, I suffer from claustrophobia, so would never choose an inside cabin and to be honest I struggled with the outside side cabin, fortunately it was a short cruise. I like to get up in the morning and watch the ship dock from our balcony with cuppa in hand, never coffee first thing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Britboys said:

Again, it is a very personal decision. For me, I'd rather go further afield to somewhere exotic than book a suite and go somewhere 'ordinary'. Especially if sailing with many of the mainstream lines where most the suites are nice but nothing special.

I wouid agree with that. 

We are "balcony" only people,  ideally a big balcony cabin, but cannot understand the attraction of a suite.

We really don't need a separate living room,  or someone unpacking my Primani pants. 

Yes, the private breakfast restaurant woukd be nice, plus some of the other perks. 

Having said that,  we are all different, and if I had the money, of course I would book a suite.

But, as it stands,  we don't  have the money, so  three balcony cruises versus two (?) suite cruises.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

Balcony and Japan for me.We cruise for itineraries only and have never been to the same place twice unless the itineraries have overlapped.JMPO.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 9:20 PM, Britboys said:

Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. I am used to sailing in inside cabins and purely on a personal front wouldn't pay an extra £90 per day to have a balcony - anywhere, on any ship... But that is me.

I agree with it being personal choice. I would always get a balcony if I can.

Even for my next trip in december, having a little personal outdoors space is great. I like sitting outside for breakfast which I'll get as room service, and a glass of wine there in the evening before heading to bed. 

Bliss.

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
On 7/16/2021 at 6:17 PM, Dinglebert said:

That is easy to answer for me... 100% yes... because without a balcony I wouldn't go on a cruise. Once you have had a balcony , if you can afford it, you will never want not to have one.

It adds so much to the cruise experience IMO to be able to open your door and go outside anytime you are in your room. I always sit on the balcony after dressing for dinner for a pre-dinner drink after a hard day sunbathing by the pool. I also love to watch us go into and out of port and to do that from your own balcony is special.

It is great too if you are on a cruise with a lot of great scenery (Alaska, Norway etc)... you get to see a lot more.

If you are unfortunate to have to isolate in your room because of sickness (e.g. viruses) then at least you have a place you can properly see out and get some air.

It is very much personal choice though. Many people prefer to safe the money and spend it on more cruising or on-board spent so. in my opinion, if you cannot afford a balcony then it should be a showstopper but if you can the you won't regret it.

Balcony Room all day long. First time cruise to Caribbean in 2017 had a inside cabin. Big mistake on our part. Hit us on the last day as we took a late check out room and it was a balcony room, I could have cried when I walked in and room was bathed in light, compared to inside room. Put that down to a life experience. Would never take an inside cabin every again. It is a personal choice but would rather pay the extra money. Just lovely sitting out first thing in morning with a tea or coffee. Love it.  Have been to the Caribbean since then and had a balcony room, just ticked all the boxes. And hoping we get to the Caribbean which is booked for January 2022 balcony room. 

• Like 2