S Class Royal Suite sofa bed. Is it comfortable?

Ehg

I wonder if anyone can help? We are think of taking my parents on a short cruise next year. They will either need their own cabin or, it occurred to me, a RS which has 2 bathrooms so they would effectively both have an en suite. 

however, I need them both to sleep well so if anyone has slept on the sofa bed and can let me know if it’s ok, that would be marvellous. 

Hi.

We sailed in Royal Suites on both Reflection and Silhouette.  Great cabins and we were completely spoiled

I don’t remember the couch being a sofa bed, it was more of a sectional.  I could be wrong as we weren’t looking to see if it opened to a bed.

Either way, the second bathroom is a half bath (toilet and sink) rather than a full bathroom.

I wasn’t sure if you were planning to share the RS with your parents (ex 4 adults) which I would definitely NOT recommend.  Or if you meant your parents would be in the RS the two of them but needed to sleep separately. 

I have written reviews of both trips (linked in my signature) with many pictures of both cabins if you want to take a look.

Happy to answer any questions I can; I miss talking about cruises.

Noreen

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Noreen411 said:

Hi.

We sailed in Royal Suites on both Reflection and Silhouette.  Great cabins and we were completely spoiled

I don’t remember the couch being a sofa bed, it was more of a sectional.  I could be wrong as we weren’t looking to see if it opened to a bed.

Either way, the second bathroom is a half bath (toilet and sink) rather than a full bathroom.

I wasn’t sure if you were planning to share the RS with your parents (ex 4 adults) which I would definitely NOT recommend.  Or if you meant your parents would be in the RS the two of them but needed to sleep separately. 

I have written reviews of both trips (linked in my signature) with many pictures of both cabins if you want to take a look.

Happy to answer any questions I can; I miss talking about cruises.

Noreen

I can't even imagine sharing a stateroom with my adult children, as much as I love them and enjoy their company. No way.

I often travel with my brother. We have stayed in a Celebrity Suite and he slept in the living room on the pull out bed. He said he was very comfortable. The sofa does look like an 'L' shaped sectional, and one side of the 'L' pulls out.

Just to make sure they are comfortable, I would put my parents in the bedroom and take the pull out bed for myself. When you get to be their age, you'll understand. 🙂

• Like 3

I would also give my parents the bedroom and take the pull out for myself.

I have seen numerous posts about the room attendant bringing people pillow tops or foam tops to put on top of the regular mattress, so I am sure you could put one on the sofa mattress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ehg said:

I wonder if anyone can help? We are think of taking my parents on a short cruise next year. They will either need their own cabin or, it occurred to me, a RS which has 2 bathrooms so they would effectively both have an en suite. 

however, I need them both to sleep well so if anyone has slept on the sofa bed and can let me know if it’s ok, that would be marvellous. 

Our 6’ adult son has slept on many RS sofa beds and found them comfortable but he is young and fit! I have sat on them and found the sofa beds big and comfortable but lower than a standard bed so anyone with knee or hip issues could struggle getting up or down. As others have said a ‘topper’ mattress could be requested.

The second bathroom in the S class RS is only a toilet and sink...If you are talking about a suite just for your parents but with two separate sleeping areas then (as long as one has good knees!) the RS will work well.

If you are considering a suite for the four of you then upgrading to a PH would give you the second full bathroom but the sofa bed would still need good knees and whoever sleeps in the main bedroom needs to pass through the living area to leave the suite. It probably would be better for the younger couple to use the sofa bed, not just for comfort but they are more likely to be last to bed and first to rise...

Whereas some families may not want to share space for others the benefits of of one large suite (plus perks) vs two smaller rooms can make a lot of sense in terms of quality family time, shared in suite meals and price...

Just get 2 Sky Suites--much more comfortable for less $!!

Additionally--2 Sky Suites is more square footage than RS.

Edited by KKB

Just to say I have spent many nights on the sofa bed in and RS and also CS and will vouch for their comfort. I snore , apparantley, so to eleviaty my dearest wifes torchered sleep I opt for the sofga bed and , yes, I find it very comfertable.

Thank you all. To clarify, my parents would need a cabin each. 

we would be in a RS.

I think a RS for them to share so they both have their own room and en suite is cheaper than getting them both a sky suite for solo occupancy? 

if the sofa bed is low then I think my older dad would maybe struggle to get himself up and out, which is a shame as he tends to be the earlier riser of the two and could have got up, made himself a drink and sat in the balcony, whereas if he is in the bedroom he would have to disturb my mum. 

i wondered if he could use the chair as a support to help himself up. Mind you, we’ve not been onboard since the refit so there might not be a suitable hoist! 🤷‍♀️

The sofa's are indeed Sofa Beds on all class of ships I've sailed.  I'm a very light sleeper and have used it a number of times due to a snoring partner.  (oops I didn't say that did I). 

I would say it was about as comfortable as any sofa bed but definitely not as comfortable and as much  support as the regular beds.   I definitely wouldn't want to spend a week or more sleeping on it as my main bed.    If it meant sleeping on one vs not cruising I would be on it in a flash.  

While on S and E Class  ships their are two  doors there aren't two separate bathrooms.    It  would better defined as 1 and 1/2 bath.    One room is just a toilet and sink while the other has the bathing facilities.  

3 hours ago, KKB said:

Just get 2 Sky Suites--much more comfortable for less $!!

Additionally--2 Sky Suites is more square footage than RS.

Interesting suggestion. Do you know if there are Sky Suites that connect? I've never looked.

23 minutes ago, Ehg said:

Thank you all. To clarify, my parents would need a cabin each. 

we would be in a RS.

I think a RS for them to share so they both have their own room and en suite is cheaper than getting them both a sky suite for solo occupancy? 

if the sofa bed is low then I think my older dad would maybe struggle to get himself up and out, which is a shame as he tends to be the earlier riser of the two and could have got up, made himself a drink and sat in the balcony, whereas if he is in the bedroom he would have to disturb my mum. 

i wondered if he could use the chair as a support to help himself up. Mind you, we’ve not been onboard since the refit so there might not be a suitable hoist! 🤷‍♀️

Another option is that if requested they will bring a Roll  Away bed to your room and set it up.   Not sure of the height.    For the Sofabed as you guessed it is  low.... about the height of the sofa.

12 hours ago, chemmo said:

Our 6’ adult son has slept on many RS sofa beds and found them comfortable but he is young and fit! I have sat on them and found the sofa beds big and comfortable but lower than a standard bed so anyone with knee or hip issues could struggle getting up or down. As others have said a ‘topper’ mattress could be requested.

The second bathroom in the S class RS is only a toilet and sink...If you are talking about a suite just for your parents but with two separate sleeping areas then (as long as one has good knees!) the RS will work well.

If you are considering a suite for the four of you then upgrading to a PH would give you the second full bathroom but the sofa bed would still need good knees and whoever sleeps in the main bedroom needs to pass through the living area to leave the suite. It probably would be better for the younger couple to use the sofa bed, not just for comfort but they are more likely to be last to bed and first to rise...

Whereas some families may not want to share space for others the benefits of of one large suite (plus perks) vs two smaller rooms can make a lot of sense in terms of quality family time, shared in suite meals and price...

Thank you Chemmo. You’re right. I’m trying to find the cheapest suite option which gives my parents a bathroom and bedroom each.  

The RS set up would be perfect but Dad would need to be in the sitting room as he is the earliest riser. The idea of a topper mattress is a great one. 

x

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Another option is that if requested they will bring a Roll  Away bed to your room and set it up.   Not sure of the height.    For the Sofabed as you guessed it is  low.... about the height of the sofa.

I actually think the height of the sofa would be fine. 👍🏻

On 7/17/2021 at 3:58 AM, Ehg said:

Thank you Chemmo. You’re right. I’m trying to find the cheapest suite option which gives my parents a bathroom and bedroom each.  

The RS set up would be perfect but Dad would need to be in the sitting room as he is the earliest riser. The idea of a topper mattress is a great one. 

x

Have you considered one of the corner aft sky suites with a connecting concierge cabin? They would each have their own proper bed and ensuite. This may not work if your parents have mobility issues. What a lovely idea to take a cruise together! I hope you are able to find a solution that works.

7 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Have you considered one of the corner aft sky suites with a connecting concierge cabin? They would each have their own proper bed and ensuite. This may not work if your parents have mobility issues. What a lovely idea to take a cruise together! I hope you are able to find a solution that works.

That is a great idea. I will check out costs. Having never booked a cabin for single occupancy, do you have to pay double? 

49 minutes ago, Ehg said:

That is a great idea. I will check out costs. Having never booked a cabin for single occupancy, do you have to pay double? 

Remember the concierge cabin occupant will not have access to Luminae or the suite lounge. If you did save enough you could pay for them to be your guest in Luminae but you would be reliant on the good will of the concierge for them to access the Retreat deck and lounge...With covid meaning Zeniths and others can not access the lounge I would think access could less flexible than usual, even access to Luminae with payment could be restricted.

If you do go ahead with this and are reassured that the concierge guest can access the suite facilities make sure you get this in writing. On a cruise we went pre covid a RS couple had been told by their TA that their Aqua parents could join then in the lounge and Luminae as their bookings were linked...Not true at all. The concierge was helpful in that she allowed the parents to join them in the lounge on a couple of evenings and invited them to the helipad sailaway but Luminae they had to pay for and pre arrange times with the M’D.

Sincere best wishes for finding a solution that will work for you.....

Edited by chemmo
  • Thanks 1

I have just been reminded by another post of the ‘Suite privilege programme for non suite guests’ which was available pre covid. For a payment non suite guests traveling with higher suites could pay for some of the perks. Can’t remember exactly what was included, I think it was priority boarding and Luminae.

Never used it nor do I know anyone who has but if you search on CC you may get some additional information.

Possibly this has been suspended because of covid but could provide you with another option...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

Remember the concierge cabin occupant will not have access to Luminae or the suite lounge.

Chemmo, thank you for mentioning this possibility. There was a time when X was allowing these privileges for Concierge guests who were traveling with suite guests (and occupying a connecting Sky Suite/Concierge combo). It was foolish of me to assume this option still existed. If it does, I too would want it in writing.

3 hours ago, Ehg said:

I’ve never done it, but I checked out the options when I was looking for affordable options for my sister to sail with us (without sharing a suite). That was when I considered the combo I mentioned to you. Normally, the single occupancy rate is significantly more than half the cabin fare. There has recently been a single occupancy discount sale, but it may have ended by now. A recent poster on another thread mentioned having gotten a single occupancy rate of little more than half the cabin fare, but I’ve no idea if that is the norm.

Edited by Silkroad
clarification
  • Thanks 1

I’ve just realised that this whole conversation has probably not been much help because they have replaced all the furniture in the RS haven’t they? 

We are due to be on the 27th sailing to Canaries, but it looks as though we will be cancelling due to not being allowed to disembark independently. If we had been sailing on that cruise I could have asked the butler to show me the bed unfolded. I imagine PH and RS are similar sofa beds? Who knows now it’s all

changed? 🤷‍♀️