Popcorn!?

tap_out

I never needed the popcorn, I was so full already!!! I only ate it because it was free. So now I will eat less and sleep better!!! People don't like change so there will always be unhappy people. With fuel cost being what they are now I'm amazed that our cruise fares aren't double what they are.

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I agree.  If their popcorn was movie theater quality, I would have no issue with paying for it.  To me, it's not worth $3.  I have no issue with them charging for popcorn.  I will opt out unless they improve the quality and serving size.

I didn't think it was worth eating when it was free.

Laura

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Carnival's popcorn taste AWFUL!! I didn't eat it when it was free.  I would try it every cruise hoping they changed it.  I don't understand how they messed up popcorn!?!?!?  Such a simple easy snack to prepare. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I have to agree; Carnival's popcorn is indeed HORRIBLE.  I mean why not spring for some popcorn with flavor?  My wife loves popcorn but she can't eat that stuff.  We would GLADLY pay $3.00 for popcorn with flavor.  That stuff on Carnival ain't it!!!!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I agree.  If their popcorn was movie theater quality, I would have no issue with paying for it.  To me, it's not worth $3.  I have no issue with them charging for popcorn.  I will opt out unless they improve the quality and serving size.

Agree. I barely ate the popcorn when it was free because it's just not that good. I don't mind if they charge $3 for popcorn, it's just one of the many things I personally won't partake in.

Although, if they did change it up and drench it in that delicious fake butter flavored oil that the movies theaters use...I would probably shell out 3 bucks!

• Like 4

- I don't think the $3 is really the issue; that in itself isn't going to break someone's vacation budget, but imagine you're a family of 4 and you each get a box - now you're at $12, and if you see more than one movie in the week you're at $24, or $36.
I think the bigger fear is that this begins a slippery slope of charging for what we've always had included when we board a cruise. 
What if they start limiting what you can order for dinner - only 1 appetizer, entrée, and dessert per person?
What if there were a $5 cover charge to get into the Comedy Club. 
Over the last decade, cruises have become a lot less like an all-inclusive vacation, and more about the upgrades - specialty dining and headliner entertainment. 
In reality, cruising is no different than flying, the more you pay, the more options and better service you receive; but the passengers riding in coach need to make their voices heard that they deserve better.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Shaggy811 said:

- I don't think the $3 is really the issue; that in itself isn't going to break someone's vacation budget, but imagine you're a family of 4 and you each get a box - now you're at $12, and if you see more than one movie in the week you're at $24, or $36.
I think the bigger fear is that this begins a slippery slope of charging for what we've always had included when we board a cruise. 
What if they start limiting what you can order for dinner - only 1 appetizer, entrée, and dessert per person?
Over the last decade, cruises have become a lot less like an all-inclusive vacation, and more about the upgrades - specialty dining and headliner entertainment. 
In reality, cruising is no different than flying, the more you pay, the more options and better service you receive; but the passengers riding in coach need to make their voices heard that they deserve better.

Carnival posters made fun of oasis and all the pay restaurants and said they were so glad carnival didnt do that. Lol .. and here comes mardi gras with more pay restaurants and everyone is so excited to try them with all their obc. 

If carnival does it, now it's ok. Hahahaha.

• Like 3

Yeah think don't folks are missing the point.  People are willing to pay but not for a product that is lacking.  Compare it to paying a premium in the specialty restaurant for a product that is worse then buffet.  

Pro tip order something similar to help the popcorn be editable. 

https://www.amazon.com/Kernel-Seasons-Popcorn-Seasoning-Variety/dp/B00H727M6O/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=popcorn+seasoning&qid=1627013093&rdc=1&sprefix=pop+corn+ses&sr=8-3

Edited by tap_out

4 hours ago, Shaggy811 said:

I think the slippery slope is lined with fear mongers with vivid imaginations.

Cruising is nothing like flying, but in your example, the passengers riding in coach made their bed. They purchased tickets based on price alone, without comparing apples to apples. They forced the reduction in service and increase in options. You want all inclusive you have to pay for all inclusive. Meanwhile the majority seems to object to subsidizing the excess of a minority.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

The grandkids like it when the night before we leave for a cruise we make popcorn at our home and serve it in our Carnival Popcorn boxes while watching videos of our last cruise together.

Carn Corn.jpg

Sounds like a nice tradition for your family!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What we talking about man? Popcorn?! We talking about Popcorn man.....not the cruise operating....but Popcorn? We out here talking about Popcorn??? Not the cruise that we work all year to pay for,that we sweat for, that we bleed for...but Popcorn?? Look I know its important, I really do....but we out here talking about Popcorn???? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, matymil said:

What we talking about man? Popcorn?! We talking about Popcorn man.....not the cruise operating....but Popcorn? We out here talking about Popcorn??? Not the cruise that we work all year to pay for,that we sweat for, that we bleed for...but Popcorn?? Look I know its important, I really do....but we out here talking about Popcorn???? 

Yes. Should we not?

My friend @jimbo5544 and I have discussed this topic several times on Cruise Critic.

Edited by xDisconnections

11 hours ago, Shaggy811 said:

I actually have no problem with paying for the things that I use, as long as I know beforehand that will be the case so I can plan for it. Popcorn is one of those things that I can take or leave. When we cruised with Royal they always had the popcorn popper right in front of the theater which of course causes the sniffer to cause the brain to want it, but they also charged for it ($5 I believe and the bags weren't that much bigger than CCL's). I didn't get it because I didn't think it was worth it (I don't mind paying but I don't like over paying). As the cruise lines change things old time cruisers will adapt and the new people won't know the difference. (And FFIW I won't get the popcorn on CCL because I don't think the serving size is worth $3.)

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

I wouldn’t pay $3 for popcorn on Carnival. It’s nasty and tasteless. I wouldn’t even touch that popcorn if it were still free.

@jimbo5544

LOL, they are charging for it, not sure that will last.  Not my fav, but I do really like popcorn.  I get why they are doing it, not a first world issue, will not keep me from doing it, that is for sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, matymil said:

AI

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 1:38 AM, matymil said:

I see what you did there lol yes we are taking about popcorn.  Life is returning to normal.  

• Like 1