Anybody else tired of the 70's disco party?

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

a little VH would work.  Or guns and roses.  

There is an audience.  Look at the success of Bohemian Rhapsody.  

From 1986 to 1992 I notarized music contracts for the Agent of Van Halen and many other groups.I was given tickets to the concerts.I was not into the music of most of the groups and gave the tickets to relatives.

Queen ,in my opinion was great because there has never been anyone like Freddie Mercury.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Please no more YMCA. Sick of that same old tune & cheesy act. Same goes with 60's British rock invasion show. Give me something new like Back Street Boys, Bruno Mars, Weeknd, Ed Sheeran or even Justin Bieber. 😳

I assume you are under 36

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

From 1986 to 1992 I notarized music contracts for the Agent of Van Halen and many other groups.I was given tickets to the concerts.I was not into the music of most of the groups and gave the tickets to relatives.

Queen ,in my opinion was great because there has never been anyone like Freddie Mercury.

interesting!  And I concur about Freddie.  Unbelievable talent.  

41 minutes ago, SRF said:

While I agree, there is no music that gets you out of your seat and on the dance floor than disco.

Although, I find it funny to look up and see people sitting in chairs watching and NOT MOVING.  HOW can you sit still to YMCA??????? 😄

If I am anywhere where YMCA is being played I run as fast as I can.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

If I am anywhere where YMCA is being played I run as fast as I can.

Agree. Hated everything disco (but it's a really easy drum beat, 4/4 time).  I kept my long hair (finally was getting long again after returning from Vietnam), never wore angle flight pants, big collared printed disco shirts or platform shoes. 🤢 Crap now I sound like my narrow minded father. He hated everything about the 60's movement. ✌️

Edited by davekathy

15 minutes ago, harry0 said:

I remember us rockers in the 70s saying "Disco sucks if you want to boogie pick your nose."

Yes please pull the plug on the Disco Party!

Visited Detroit in 1978, was made a member of DREAD (Detroit Rockers Engaged in the Abolition of Disco).  Their symbol was a disco l.p. smashed with a big knife with the heading Saturday Night Cleaver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

So you do not listen to any music from before you were born,interesting.

Of course I do - how else would I have known those songs are from the late 50s?  Tequila is a very popular song - you’ll be a hit at karaoke.  

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Sounds like a great idea!  Call it "Dance Through the Ages" start with one song and dance from the 20s and move on with one most popular song and dance for each decade - That would be a hoot!  Sending an e-mail to the Cruise Director for Freedom in Sept. 🤣

20s - Charleston

30s - Jive

40s - Swing

50s - Lindy, Boogie Woogie, Bop

60s - Twist, Watusi, Mashed Potato and Pony

70s - Disco, Hustle, Funky Chicken

80s - Robot, Break Dancing

90s - Macarena, Electric Slide

Or "Dance To The Music". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn2PNlhvy8E

Had an 80s party on Liberty just pre covid, was a great change but was not supported by the entire support crew like with the 70s party. 

It was the CD and a couple of activities crew.  I do like the 70s but also like the some other eras/genres, the thing to consider is it has to be entertaining and danceable which eliminates some genres mentioned(IMO) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I'll take a 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, -- Roaring 20s -- ANY year party as long as there's music and dancing! I'll even go to a White Party, Black Party, Halloween Party, etc. etc... as long as it's a P-A-R-T-Y!  🎉 Cheers! 🍾 

Woo hoo!!

20 hours ago, davekathy said:

The staff needs to play some of the other great songs from the 70's besides disco. 

I know "to each their own" but to me, I hated the the disco thing back when it was popular. Thank goodness it was short-lived (in my opinion). There was a lot of other great music from the '70's.

On my first cruise in 1996 they had a sock hop which was a lot of fun. I guess that's getting quite old now. I see by the thread so far that things are moving forward and the "oldies" are now into the 90's.

• Like 1