It looks like Celebrity is now requiring negative COVID test before boarding

jcpc

One last thing about the Abbott home test that isn't allowed by Celebrity.  Walgreens happens to use this same test as one of their rapid test choices, which, apparently means it is accurate enough for Celebrity to accept if the test is performed at the store.  The same exact test, performed in the convenience of one's own home is unacceptable. Can they explain this logic?

Edited by Real NHDOC

Making testing even easier, here are all the Walgreens readily available for COVID testing....plus, you can just go through the drive through to do the test.....

• 680 SE 17TH ST, FT LAUDERDALE, FL 33316 
    Southwest corner OF EISENHOWER BLVD & 17TH ST
    Today's hours: 7AM - 12AM
     Pickup (curbside or in store)
     Same Day Delivery
    Selected store

• 1201 S FEDERAL HWY, FT LAUDERDALE, FL 33316 (0.92 mi)
    Southwest corner OF US 1 & DAVIE BLVD
    Today's hours: Open 24 hours
     Pickup (curbside, drive-thru or in store)
     Same Day Delivery

• 340 SW 24TH STREET, FT LAUDERDALE, FL 33315 (1.43 mi)
    Southeast corner SW 4TH & SR 84
    Today's hours: 7AM - 11PM
     Same Day Delivery

• 700 W BROWARD BLVD, FT LAUDERDALE, FL 33312 (2.21 mi)
    BROWARD BOULEVARD & 7TH
     Same Day Delivery

• 1515 E SUNRISE BLVD, FT LAUDERDALE, FL 33304 (2.61 mi)
    Northeast corner OF N E 15TH AVE & FEDERAL HWY/SUNRISE BLVD
    Today's hours: Open 24 hours
     Same Day Delivery

• 1 W SUNRISE BLVD, FT LAUDERDALE, FL 33311 (2.84 mi)
    Northwest corner ANDREWS & SUNRISE
    Today's hours: 8AM - 10PM
     Same Day Delivery

• 202 S FEDERAL HWY, DANIA, FL 33004 (3.76 mi)
    STIRLING ROAD & FEDERAL HIGHWAY
     Same Day Delivery

• 2355 NE 26TH ST, FT LAUDERDALE, FL 33305 (4.2 mi)
    26TH STREET & FEDERAL
    Today's hours: 6AM - 12AM
     Same Day Delivery

• 501 E SHERIDAN ST, DANIA, FL 33004 (4.57 mi)
    Northeast corner OF 5TH AVE & SHERIDAN ST
    Today's hours: 6AM - 12AM
     Same Day Delivery

• 1251 S STATE ROAD 7, PLANTATION, FL 33317 (4.79 mi)
    Northwest corner OF US 441 & DAVIE
     Same Day Delivery

Free Drive-Thru COVID-19 Testing for Ages 3+
COVID_testing_illustration.hero_large.pn

Free COVID-19 Testing for Ages 3+

Walgreens

42 minutes ago, spiritkat090909 said:

The Celebrity healthy-at-sea, as of Aug 2 NOW says... 3 days instead of 72 hours.  If they will tell the port  workers, it is a little bit simpler.  Wed test for Saturday cruise, Thrs test for Sunday cruise.

Just checked this morning, still says 72 hours for 8/6/21 - 9/6/21 sailings.

(While US entry requirements says 3 days).

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

Screenshot_20210804-114239_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210804-114148_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

One last thing about the Abbott home test that isn't allowed by Celebrity.  Walgreens happens to use this same test as one of their rapid test choices, which, apparently means it is accurate enough for Celebrity to accept if the test is performed at the store.  The same exact test, performed in the convenience of one's own home is unacceptable. Can they explain this logic?

Sure.  There's no way for Celebrity to know who actually took the test in your home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does anybody have any experience or thought about Covid testing in Seattle before an Alaska cruise?  We are from the east coast but spending a few days in Seattle prior to our cruise.  In order to meet the 72 hour (or three day) requirement we will need to get a test there.  Hopefully it will be negative or we flew a long way for nothing.  Or we need to fly there just the day before our cruise I guess.

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Does anybody have any experience or thought about Covid testing in Seattle before an Alaska cruise?  We are from the east coast but spending a few days in Seattle prior to our cruise.  In order to meet the 72 hour (or three day) requirement we will need to get a test there.  Hopefully it will be negative or we flew a long way for nothing.  Or we need to fly there just the day before our cruise I guess.

Or do as some others have done, test at home first and fly only if the test is negative. Then retest within the X time guidelines. There no guarantee that the second test result will be the same, but the odds will be in your favour. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, schittenden said:

Sure.  There's no way for Celebrity to know who actually took the test in your home.

It requires a telehealth worker to confirm the process and the results and I would presume to verify identity.  It is a contactless version of the CVS test.

Edited by NMTraveller

11 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Or do as some others have done, test at home first and fly only if the test is negative. Then retest within the X time guidelines. There no guarantee that the second test result will be the same, but the odds will be in your favour. 

Yes I agree on your strategy.  But it is a bit of a hassle and a worry.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

We're in the same boat for a cruise on Millennium on 8/27 (no pun intended).  The problem with Seattle is the downtown chain stores don't have drive-throughs so the only places to get tested are in the suburbs.  For example, the closest CVS is in Bellevue, a $40 cab ride from the port each way.  Walgreens has ONE location near the port that says they will do the Binax (Abbott) test, which I assume Celebrity will accept.  So that's ONE location for everyone in Downtown Seattle looking to get tested before the cruise.

27 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/COVID19/TestingforCOVID19?gclid=CjwKCAjw9aiIBhA1EiwAJ_GTSpNGJDs1bkesn-onoalSvUgdRavThC_FYJa-Ga33yZVc-72Z8SfHYhoCBMoQAvD_BwE

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Just did another search in and around the FLL cruise port area.  Just looked at CVS (I'm sure Walgreens has as many locations, maybe more) near the port.  It took 2 seconds.  There were 7 locations to get tested.  They note that Rapid Antigen tests aren't accepted by all travel conveyances.  But, they do PCR tests, too (which are accepted by Celebrity).  They had appointments available today, tomorrow, the next day, the day after that......................

Again, it isn't that difficult.

Not sure why anyone wants to claim it is.

Either you accept Celebrity's guidelines, or not.  If not, Celebrity has been quite clear you aren't going to sail.

You have helped and entertained a lot of people with your live cruise review and good cruise insight. But i disagree with you on this .

As I have said to other people here, you don't get to  decide how difficult it is for others.

I, and most people posting here , are all for this extra level of safety. Because of it, I  will feel safer on my cruise than I do near my home in FL. 

But it does suck that it adds new variables that are out of my hands.  I wish that Celebrity did provide a last minute testing option at the port , if results don't come back in time, or you get results back and they are inconclusive ( a friend had that happen when flying and had to retest and wait 2 days , reschedule his plans), or you just can't get an appointment. 

Tossing out "here are all the places you can go " doesn't help if those places don't have appointments or don't offer tests that Celebrity accepts. 

Edited by Smmessineo
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

It requires a telehealth worker to confirm the process and the results and I would presume to verify identity.  It is a contactless version of the CVS test.

I have the Abbot BinaxNOW test at home.  You swab the nose, stick the swab in the card, and read the results after 15 minutes.  No telehealth worker involved.

Edited by schittenden
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, schittenden said:

I have the Abbot BinaxNOW test at home.  You swab the nose, stick it in the card, and read the results after 15 minutes.  No telehealth worker involved.

That is not CDC approved, whereas with a telehealth worker it is for airline flights coming back into the US.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

That is not CDC approved, whereas with a telehealth worker it is for airline flights.

Has anyone on CC self tested using this system? I'm curious as to what steps are taken to confirm the identification of the person actually taking the test. 

21 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

There is a testing service at the Seattle airport. Xprescheck SEA.  I hand made an appointment there.  Results in 30-60 minutes.  $200 or so.

The OP and I aren't flying in within the 3 day window so for us it would mean taking a cab back out to the airport ($65 each way) and two tests - $400 so a mere $530 extra or more than the airfare to get there was just to get tested.

1 hour ago, Real NHDOC said:

To put it simply : Walgreens' word is better than the passengers'.
Walgreens will give you some kind of Paper work/code/link certifying the result.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Has anyone on CC self tested using this system? I'm curious as to what steps are taken to confirm the identification of the person actually taking the test. 

Basic at home version is like a pregnancy test. Yes or No. Nothing else.

Other versions have verification via an app, phone, etc. where someone is guiding you and seeing you take the test.....third party verification.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Basic at home version is like a pregnancy test. Yes or No. Nothing else.

Other versions have verification via an app, phone, etc. where someone is guiding you and seeing you take the test.....third party verification.

What I was looking for specifically is whether any attempt is made by the telehealth worker who guides one through the process to see ID or otherwise verifies the identity of the individual undergoing the test. Otherwise, if I know I'm positive, I could get negative Ned from next door to pretend he's me and take the test on my behalf.

Edited by Fouremco

41 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

You have helped and entertained a lot of people with your live cruise review and good cruise insight. But i disagree with you on this .

As I have said to other people here, you don't get to  decide how difficult it is for others.

I, and most people posting here , are all for this extra level of safety. Because of it, I  will feel safer on my cruise than I do near my home in FL. 

But it does suck that it adds new variables that are out of my hands.  I wish that Celebrity did provide a last minute testing option at the port , if results don't come back in time, or you get results back and they are inconclusive ( a friend had that happen when flying and had to retest and wait 2 days , reschedule his plans), or you just can't get an appointment. 

Tossing out "here are all the places you can go " doesn't help if those places don't have appointments or don't offer tests that Celebrity accepts. 

Thanks.  I get it.

I’ve traveled a lot for my previous job (now retired).  Not bragging, more like reminiscing, but I was stuck away from home in KS when 9/11 grounded me…for a week (ended up finally finding a rental car available which cost me well into 5 figures).  I was at work when I suffered a heart attack in the back woods of IL, by myself.  I’ve was in San Francisco during their last big earthquake and could not leave the city (for a whole host of reasons).  I’ve flown over 2M miles on one airline, and probably another Million Miles on a couple of others.  I’ve taken over 20 cruises.  Never missed one of them, for any reason.  I could go on and on.  None of it means a hill of beans right now.  In all frankness, none of this hand wringing about COVID tests register much with me, as a result.  To me, this is easy stuff.

I do agree that the variables ARE out of our hands.  Over the past couple of years, I can honestly say I’ve never had an experience like this pandemic. Thankfully, my Drs have kept me healthy, but that’s because I listened to them, instead of TV, Facebook or some of the quacks out there purporting to know more than authorities who make it their jobs to know this stuff (ya hearing me Jim Baker?).

Celebrity is trying to protect the guests, crew and it’s revenue stream by requiring vaccines for adults and testing of the same (anyone over 2 years old). I understand any cruise line not recognizing the mail order tests. There’s just no way to prove the person who took it is the actual passenger boarding their ships.  Makes sense.  And I agree with that.

Next best thing is to go to the nearest pharmacy (which is dominated by the likes of CVS, Walgreens, Kroger Pharmacy, etc) and get tested with the accepted tests (PCR and Antigen).  Most of these places offer drive through service.  Every city I’ve checked, there is availability for testing.  Can you get a test at midnight?  Probably not.  Can you get a test on your lunch break?  I’d say that’s a good possibility. Right now, I can walk into the hospital nearest my home.  Go to a separate entrance, have a seat, and get a PCR or Antigen test, and get results tomorrow.

I just don’t consider any of it that difficult to do.  I see you’re in Ocala.  Just a quick search on Walgreens site shows at least 7 drive through testing facilities, and probably double that for walk in pharmacies.  There’s probably another 10 CVSs I saw.

Point is, you may prefer to do something different (which if we all did that, nothing would ever happen).  But, Celebrity has made their policy clear to those of us sailing, via phone calls and emails.  Just plan accordingly, just like you would if you needed to renew your Passport.

Good sailing to you!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

What I was looking for specifically is whether any attempt is made by the telehealth worker who guides one through the process asks to see ID or otherwise verifies the identity of the individual undergoing the test. Otherwise, if I know I'm positive, I could get negative Ned from next door to pretend he's me and take the test on my behalf.

That’s the entire issue.  I hope no one would do this.  But, it’s entirely possible for someone to take a home COVID test, find out they’re positive, get Jimmy the newspaper boy take a negative one for them, and embark on the ship with COVID!

• Like 2