It looks like Celebrity is now requiring negative COVID test before boarding

jcpc

2 minutes ago, Oxo said:

I have to laugh at this statement. 

If Celebrity or RCI. is very clear on this issue why are so many people questioning this issue? 

Too many people confused,  trying to give their interpretations, etc.

JMO

What confusion? This is from the Celebrity FAG on their website and seems pretty clear:

"Are results for a Covid-19 test from a home testing kit accepted?

At this time, we are not accepting results from home testing kits."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Oxo said:

If Celebrity or RCI. is very clear on this issue why are so many people questioning this issue? 

JMO

What part of the following do you find to be confusing?

Are results for a Covid-19 test from a home testing kit accepted?

At this time, we are not accepting results from home testing kits.

While Celebrity's website has many areas that would benefit from greater clarity, the issue of home testing kits is crystal clear. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Oxo said:

JMO

I don’t know about confusion.  I think it’s a matter of some not liking the policies and trying to find loopholes.

Celebrity and Royal and pretty quickly closing those loopholes (like with the home test kits being unacceptable) when they arise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

What confusion? This is from the Celebrity FAG on their website and seems pretty clear:

"Are results for a Covid-19 test from a home testing kit accepted?

At this time, we are not accepting results from home testing kits."

I'm talking about the entire testing letter. Not just the home test.. Look at both X & RCI CC threads. This is almost as bad as the virus and getting the jab.

10 minutes ago, Oxo said:

JMO

People like the drama. Research testing facilities, make an appoint for an antigen or PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding, get your negative result, board the ship. It's a slight inconvenience, sure, but that's about it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Oxo said:

I'm talking about the entire testing letter. Not just the home test.. Look at both X & RCI CC threads. This is almost as bad as the virus and getting the jab.

I guess somebody's posts require greater clarity! 😇

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

People like the drama. Research testing facilities, make an appoint for an antigen or PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding, get your negative result, board the ship. It's a slight inconvenience, sure, but that's about it. 

Can't get any simpler than this. 

3 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

It may currently be a little more than a slight inconvenience here in FL as some testing sites are back to lines wrapped around the block.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

It may currently be a little more than a slight inconvenience here in FL as some testing sites are back to lines wrapped around the block.

I saw that on the news.  The silver lining, there was a huge uptick in testing and vaccine administration once word got out on the FL situation.  Hopefully, it will continue.

Given the news coming out of FL right now, I'm thinking of cancelling my EDGE cruise next week.  I don't have an issue with Celebrity.  But, getting to the pier from/through the airport gives me pause.

• Like 1

I just called Celebrity and they are still saying no home test kits are currently acceptable (although they don't really understand the difference between a home test kit and a home sample collection). 

OK, so I asked for a list of "accredited testing providers" since their requirements are that the tests are from one.  I was told that any test from any of the chain pharmacies (Walgreens, CVS, Target or Rite Aid were mentioned) was acceptable, but just not "any pharmacy", however they were not willing to send anything in writing to that effect and seemed unaware that some tests at the chain pharmacies specifically say they are not valid for travel. 

I then asked that they need to define what an "accredited provider" is (it's not a term generally recognized in the testing world) and provide a list of them along with what tests are acceptable to them.  It shouldn't be on us guests to interpret their requirements and show up at the port then to be told "oh, that particular test isn't acceptable".  Let them tell us what they want, specifically, and where it can be had so we can be sure what we get is acceptable.  I don't think that is too much to ask.  And to provide a list of locations near the port would be ideal too.  After all they are only sailing from two or three ports in the USA right now. 

And for those who think it's so simple to do it really isn't if you are going to be traveling the week before the cruise and are in unfamiliar areas without transportation.  Ask an Uber driver to take you for a drive through Covid test?  I am sure they are really happy to do that!

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I saw that on the news.  The silver lining, there was a huge uptick in testing and vaccine administration once word got out on the FL situation.  Hopefully, it will continue.

Given the news coming out of FL right now, I'm thinking of cancelling my EDGE cruise next week.  I don't have an issue with Celebrity.  But, getting to the pier from/through the airport gives me pause.

Don't watch the news 🙂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, paulh84 said:

You can only speak for your own situation.

I am in central Florida. I am confused/frustrated by the 72 hour rule for testing. How do they define 72 hours....from my check in time? From earliest check in time? From departure time of 6 pm?  The rules for people flying in it just says "3 days ," not this "72 hour" crap. Could we have some consistency?

As for testing itself, the closest antigen testing , at a CVS , is 1 hour away. Not every store has them! And if I go with PCR, i have to trust that I get reults in time before driving to port city the night before.

Thanks for telling me this is a slight inconvenience. Still worth it to cruise, but the added stress is a big headache.

Edited by Smmessineo
  • Like 2

I may be wrong but I believe the confusion of home testing kits is that there are two type.   One is a "Self Test" and works like a pregnancy test where you take a sample and insert into a card and it give you your results in 30 minutes.    This for sure is not permitted.

The other you call in and have a teleconference that monitor your collection.   You then overnight it to a lab and it is processed just like a regular test.     From what I've seen these results you get back just like you would at CVS via an app.

I personally will not be taking a home test of either type but just want to point out where confusion may exist.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Don't watch the news 🙂

Saw the lines they were broadcasting.  It was from a local MIA TV station, too.  Pretty hard to disengage from what I saw.

Plus, it's been reported in the newspapers I've been reading, too.  So, pretty hard to miss what's going on down there.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I may be wrong but I believe the confusion of home testing kits is that there are two type.   One is a "Self Test" and works like a pregnancy test where you take a sample and insert into a card and it give you your results in 30 minutes.    This for sure is not permitted.

The other you call in and have a teleconference that monitor your collection.   You then overnight it to a lab and it is processed just like a regular test.     From what I've seen these results you get back just like you would at CVS via an app.

I personally will not be taking a home test of either type but just want to point out where confusion may exist.

Exactly, the home sample collection is the exact same test that is done on-site you just swab at home and overnight the sample to the lab for testing.  This would be much more convenient for those of us who won't be near a facility before the cruise but can access UPS or FEDEX to send a sample in.  Just take the collection kit with you and do it three days before and send it in. 

If they would just accept a test from a lab where the sample is collected by the patient it would be much better. 

Edited by Real NHDOC

4 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

There *may* be a solution that would be convenient for people who won't be near a testing site before leaving or just don't want to run around trying to find one.  I found that Amazon offers a home collection kit that you swab yourself and send the sample by UPS overnight to their lab after which they say results are available within 24 hours.  Results are reported via their electronic system so would be displayed on your phone.  The kits are $39.95 and include the cost of the UPS service to return the sample. I am going to call Celebrity today and confirm they will accept the results from this lab but Amazon claims this is the "gold standard" PCR test from a CAP accredited lab so they should accept it.  So as long as you aren't far from a UPS store or drop box (and those are ubiquitous) you should be able to order a kit and have it with you to test yourself 2-3 days before embarking.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Covid-19-Test-Kit/dp/B08ZR5XNBM

That looks like the legitimate swab and tube for a PCR. It is NOT a home test, by my definition, but it is a self-collect. If we are treating these tests like drug monitoring, God help us all, but my only answer to how do they know you swabbed yourself is how would you find someone else to swab that you were sure was Covid negative?

I hope in a few weeks it becomes apparent that Delta is not serious for vaccinated persons or that RCCL develops an agreement with CVS, etc, that allows electronic tra,Hager of results.

I will say this though, rules about what testing can be done on pharmacies varies by state - so what worked for you may not be available to everyone.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

You can only speak for your own situation.

I am in central Florida. I am confused/frustrated by the 72 hour rule for testing. How do they define 72 hours....from my check in time? From earliest check in time? From departure time of 6 pm?  The rules for people flying in it just says "3 days ," not this "72 hour" crap. Could we have some consistency?

As for testing itself, the closest antigen testing , at a CVS , is 1 hour away. Not every store has them! And if I go with PCR, i have to trust that I get reults in time before driving to port city the night before. 

Thanks for telling me this is a slight inconvenience. Still worth it to cruise, but the added stress is a big headache.

https://www.solvhealth.com/fl/c/ocala-fl-srv-covid-testing 

That link has plenty of options to look into 

14 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

https://www.solvhealth.com/fl/c/ocala-fl-srv-covid-testing 

That link has plenty of options to look into 

Yeah...... I used that link yesterday. Already did that research. As i said, PCR is everywhere. Then there's the wait and hope you get results in time. For  Antigen the closest is a CVS an hour away from me. Some people are making it sound like every CVS or Walgreens has antigen available. Not true . 

My response to you wasn't asking for your help. It was pointing out that you were flippant about what other people are dealing with. 

Edited by Smmessineo

49 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

And for those who think it's so simple to do it really isn't if you are going to be traveling the week before the cruise and are in unfamiliar areas without transportation. 

Exactly.  Folks need to stop being flippant about how simple the testing requirement is. If you live near the port, fine. But if you are traveling, especially in that 72-hour window, it’s not so simple. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

Yeah, I used that link yesterday. Already did that research. As i said, PCR is everywhere. Then there's the wait and hope you get results.. For  Antigen the closest is a CVS an hour away from me. Some people are making it sound like every CVS or Walgreens has antigen available. Not true . 

My response to you wasn't asking for your help, my post was pointing out that you were flippant about what other people are dealing with. 

Looks like you'll be driving an hour to that CVS then! Cheers.

42 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

I am confused/frustrated by the 72 hour rule for testing. How do they define 72 hours....from my check in time? From earliest check in time? From departure time of 6 pm? 

Until such time as Celebrity decides to clarify this issue, the safe approach is to base it on 72 hours before departure time. That way you have all possibilities covered.

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Until such time as Celebrity decides to clarify this issue, the safe approach is to base it on 72 hours before departure time. That way you have all possibilities covered.

Now that is entirely too logical. Come on.

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That's what I am figuring. What stinks is that if I get an appointment for PCR on Wednesday after 6pm or early Thursday for a Saturday cruise, that 1-2 day turnaround for reults is cutting it close, especially here in FL where cases are rising exponentially.

I am thankful these new rules are in place, but irritated with the people who are saying it's easy.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

Yeah...... I used that link yesterday. Already did that research. As i said, PCR is everywhere. Then there's the wait and hope you get results in time. For  Antigen the closest is a CVS an hour away from me. Some people are making it sound like every CVS or Walgreens has antigen available. Not true . 

My response to you wasn't asking for your help. It was pointing out that you were flippant about what other people are dealing with. 

Assuming you received the same letter as I did….

As a reminder, starting August 6, all guests over the age two, regardless of vaccination status, will now be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within 72 hours of embarkation.  Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs. 

So, 72 hours of embarkation.  If you’re embarkation time is 2:00 p.m. Saturday, then you have to have your testing done no earlier than 2:00 p.m. Wednesday.  Or, to be safe, schedule the test for 4:00 p.m. Wednesday to give yourself some wiggle room.