It looks like Celebrity is now requiring negative COVID test before boarding

jcpc

30 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

My local CVS does antigen rapid tests which I have used several times, no confusion and I will use them before our cruise this month.

Curious about CVS -   When you say your local CVS is this through their Minute Clinic or by clicking setting up an appointment

In my area when I search It returns only drive through locations and the closest for the Rapid Test is San Francisco about 40 miles away. 

image.thumb.png.77a964e413ba9a5e45fba48cece426d4.png

3 hours ago, RichardRahl said:

It’s better than nothing! Very little is 100% sure in life, so we do the best we can. Requiring a COVID test no more than 3 days prior to boarding is much better than no testing at all, that’s for sure. But yes - giving everyone a rapid test at the pier would have been even better – until you factor in false positives that ruin some people’s vacations and false negatives that fail to protect everyone.

This is why 95% have to be fully vaccinated. Should be 100%. If your not vaccinated, you shouldn’t be allowed to travel. Simple as that. Just like some countries not allowing vacationers in, unless they are fully vaccinated. I suspect the list of countries will increase as time goes. Documentation will be required as proof.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious about CVS -   When you say your local CVS is this through their Minute Clinic or by clicking setting up an appointment

In my area when I search It returns only drive through locations and the closest for the Rapid Test is San Francisco about 40 miles away. 

Yes the Minute clinic is part of the CVS Pharmacy and the test is done drive through. They do both the Rapid Antigen and PCR/NAAT molecular testing at this location, not all locations do the rapid testing as they have to have the equipment to process it on site.

Here is the location and test description from the web site test scheduling page:

2.31mi

San Antonio - Ih 10 W Poct Covid -19 Testing Site,

22135 IH 10 W, San Antonio, TX 78257

Test type: Rapid-result test (antigen)

Not accepted for all purposes, so be sure to check with venue, destination or airline.

Results within hours

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

Yes the Minute clinic is part of the CVS Pharmacy and the test is done drive through. They do both the Rapid Antigen and PCR/NAAT molecular testing at this location, not all locations do the rapid testing as they have to have the equipment to process it on site.

Here is the location and test description from the web site test scheduling page:

2.31mi

Not accepted for all purposes, so be sure to check with venue, destination or airline.

Results within hours

Mine is the same, except not in TX.

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

2.31mi

Results within hours

Thanks that's what I was thinking.    We will probably just have the slow one done and have a backup plan to get a Rapid Test just in case it doesn't get the results back in time. 

CVS has a second rapid test location only 20 miles away but I check daily and have never seen any availability for any date as far as 2 weeks out.   

40 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks that's what I was thinking.    We will probably just have the slow one done and have a backup plan to get a Rapid Test just in case it doesn't get the results back in time. 

CVS has a second rapid test location only 20 miles away but I check daily and have never seen any availability for any date as far as 2 weeks out.   

When RCCL announced they were requiring pre cruise testing, I said that Celebrity won’t be far behind. I booked a rapid test at the nearest CVS that offered it. (The closest CVS to me does not do testing.)  I booked it last Friday and there were plenty of slots available, the test is this Friday, and I sail on Equinox on Sunday. I looked at the site yesterday, and they had no availability. This is in NE Florida south of Jacksonville.  Florida has the highest rate of Covid in the country, Jacksonville has the highest rate in Florida! 

The point to this is that you should not wait to book a test. You can always cancel. Book the test as soon as the date you need opens up.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

2.31mi

Results within hours

Thanks for clarifying.  This is what my cvs appointment had and it clearly has antigen on it like above.

My sail date is September 10 and currently beyond the Celebrity testing window, but I am going to make an appointment for the rapid antigen test when that appointment date opens up. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, katrina915 said:

Thanks for clarifying.  This is what my cvs appointment had and it clearly has antigen on it like above.

My sail date is September 10 and currently beyond the Celebrity testing window, but I am going to make an appointment for the rapid antigen test when that appointment date opens up. 

When my dad was in a rehab hospital last year I had to have the rapid test every 5 days and never cost me a dime at CVS. We also got our vaccinations there and all of this is accessible though my CVS online. You can book the tests starting 14 days out from date you need the test done. For our Aug 27th cruise we will get tested on the 25th and schedule on the 11th.

14 minutes ago, Straughn said:

When RCCL announced they were requiring pre cruise testing, I said that Celebrity won’t be far behind. I booked a rapid test at the nearest CVS that offered it. (The closest CVS to me does not do testing.)  I booked it last Friday and there were plenty of slots available, the test is this Friday, and I sail on Equinox on Sunday. I looked at the site yesterday, and they had no availability. This is in NE Florida south of Jacksonville.  Florida has the highest rate of Covid in the country, Jacksonville has the highest rate in Florida! 

The point to this is that you should not wait to book a test. You can always cancel. Book the test as soon as the date you need opens up.

Thanks -

I won't wait.    CVS and Walgreen only open slots 2 weeks in advance in my area so for my September 5 cruise I will have to wait a couple weeks.  

3 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Getting a COVID test is not rocket science!   Get on the internet and you will find many options for COVID tests.   We live in a very rural area but CVS, Walgreens and Urgent Care Centers offer the tests.

It is not always that easy unfortunately.  Many of us fly in a couple or more days before.  So getting a test at my local CVS may not work in the timeframe if all the ones near me only do PCR tests that they cannot guarantee turnaround time.  Just schedule it when you arrive in the port town?  Sounds easy.  Except I won't have a car and most of the tests are drive-thru tests.  Can I get an Uber to drive me through?  Who knows.  And I have a sneaking suspicion that as Covid cases rise, and ships increase capacities, the availability of testing near a port may be very difficult to schedule.  

So yes, finding places that test right now, as the situation stands, might be easy.  But due to issues mentioned above it might be anything but by the time of sailing.

• Like 1

I just got this email from Celebrity about how they will not consider any one vaccinated by two different vaccine manufactures as being fully vaccinated.  I know this is a bigger issue for our friends in Canada and makes no sense according to the science. It also reiterates that all passengers on cruises starting Aug 6 must have a negative pre Covid test before coming to the terminal. This should clear up the mixed messaging emails most of us have been receiving.

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Celebrity Equinox® for your upcoming Caribbean cruise departing from Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  Before we depart, we have some important information to share regarding our Health and Safety Protocols.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has clarified their position regarding mixed vaccinations and provided Celebrity Cruises with updated guidance. Currently, the CDC does not recognize any mixed combination of COVID-19 vaccines as fully vaccinated. To be recognized as fully vaccinated, guests 12 years of age and older, must complete a vaccine series with products from the same manufacturer, with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. Guests who decline or are unable to show proof of vaccination at boarding will be treated as unvaccinated and subject to additional protocols, restrictions, and costs for COVID-19 testing.

As a reminder, starting August 6, all guests over the age two, regardless of vaccination status, will now be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within 72 hours of embarkation.  Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs.

Unvaccinated guests and children, under 12 years of age, will be required to take an additional antigen test at the terminal prior to embarkation, mid-cruise and on the day before disembarkation. A registration link for required testing will be sent separately. Should a guest be unable to complete the testing requirements, a 100% refund or Future Cruise Credit will be offered. 

Additional testing and protocols will be confirmed closer to your sailing departure date in line with the most up to date recommendations from local government and health officials as well as our Healthy Sail Panel.  These measures, including vaccination and testing requirements, will evolve along with public health standards.  For details on our current health and safety protocols please visit https://www.healthyatsea.com

We apologize for any inconvenience these changes may cause. The health and safety of everyone onboard is our number one priority.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There *may* be a solution that would be convenient for people who won't be near a testing site before leaving or just don't want to run around trying to find one.  I found that Amazon offers a home collection kit that you swab yourself and send the sample by UPS overnight to their lab after which they say results are available within 24 hours.  Results are reported via their electronic system so would be displayed on your phone.  The kits are $39.95 and include the cost of the UPS service to return the sample. I am going to call Celebrity today and confirm they will accept the results from this lab but Amazon claims this is the "gold standard" PCR test from a CAP accredited lab so they should accept it.  So as long as you aren't far from a UPS store or drop box (and those are ubiquitous) you should be able to order a kit and have it with you to test yourself 2-3 days before embarking.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Covid-19-Test-Kit/dp/B08ZR5XNBM

Edited by Real NHDOC

6 minutes ago, Julma said:

Are they allowing home tests?  

The language in the email specifically says Accredited testing provider, home testing would not be fall under this definition. 

Edited by terrydtx

24 minutes ago, Julma said:

Are they allowing home tests?  

Not according to the FAQ's

Are results for a Covid-19 test from a home testing kit accepted?

At this time, we are not accepting results from home testing kits.  

There should be some guidance from Celebrity as to what constitutes an "Accredited testing provider".  There's also a distinction between a "home test kit" such as BinaxNow and a home collection kit that is sent to a lab for processing like that which is offered by Amazon.  Since there are only a very limited number of ports which Celebrity is using over the next month I see it as a big fail that they did not collect and disseminate enough information to make this less of an effort for their guests but simply have dumped it on us to figure out what test is acceptable. If they have a list of accredited providers near the ports then they should make it public.

Edited by Real NHDOC

1 hour ago, Real NHDOC said:

There *may* be a solution that would be convenient for people who won't be near a testing site before leaving or just don't want to run around trying to find one.  I found that Amazon offers a home collection kit that you swab yourself and send the sample by UPS overnight to their lab after which they say results are available within 24 hours.  Results are reported via their electronic system so would be displayed on your phone.  The kits are $39.95 and include the cost of the UPS service to return the sample. I am going to call Celebrity today and confirm they will accept the results from this lab but Amazon claims this is the "gold standard" PCR test from a CAP accredited lab so they should accept it.  So as long as you aren't far from a UPS store or drop box (and those are ubiquitous) you should be able to order a kit and have it with you to test yourself 2-3 days before embarking.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Covid-19-Test-Kit/dp/B08ZR5XNBM

None of the home testing kits are acceptable, because there is no way of confirming that the person submitting the sample in their name was the person actually swabbed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

None of the home testing kits are acceptable, because there is no way of confirming that the person submitting the sample in their name was the person actually swabbed.

Technically that is true, although the Amazon kit says:

"TRAVEL COMPLIANT – Meets requirements for testing when traveling within the US (except Hawaii), and when traveling from the US to many international locations. Includes access to results documentation for verification."

So, if the airlines and foreign countries allow it why not Celebrity?  I mean if someone is determined to beat the system I am sure there are ways to buy negative test results online too to fool them.  At some point we have to accept it on faith that most people will do the right thing and those that won't will find a way to beat the system anyway.

12 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Not according to the FAQ's

Are results for a Covid-19 test from a home testing kit accepted?

At this time, we are not accepting results from home testing kits.  

Thanks.  I was just about to post the same thing.  Here's the link to the FAQ for those who keep wanting to speculate or argue about whether home testing is accepted.  It's not.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

"TRAVEL COMPLIANT – Meets requirements for testing when traveling within the US (except Hawaii), and when traveling from the US to many international locations. Includes access to results documentation for verification."

Of course they say this, they want to sell their kits, but for now Celebrity is pretty clear they are not acceptable.

12 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

Technically that is true, although the Amazon kit says:

So, if the airlines and foreign countries allow it why not Celebrity?  I mean if someone is determined to beat the system I am sure there are ways to buy negative test results online too to fool them.  At some point we have to accept it on faith that most people will do the right thing and those that won't will find a way to beat the system anyway.

The Travel Compliant rhetoric is remarkably non-specific, with the sole exception of naming Hawaii as a US destination not accepting this test.

In any event, it's all rather moot as Celebrity is very clear on the issue.

13 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

In any event, it's all rather moot as Celebrity is very clear on the issue.

I have to laugh at this statement. 

If Celebrity or RCI. is very clear on this issue why are so many people questioning this issue? 

Too many people confused,  trying to give their interpretations, etc.

JMO