It looks like Celebrity is now requiring negative COVID test before boarding

jcpc

25 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Trying to understand who is charging for the tests?  I know my state (Ohio) says I can be tested as much as once per day, and it’s free (I’m sure someone is paying, just not me).  Is it the Federal Gov’t? Is it the State?  Is it insurance?  

It says the cost of testing before embarkation is up to the passenger.  But, so far, I’ve yet to find the sources I use (CVS-Walgreens-Local Hospital-Family GP) that will charge me for the test.

Who in here has been charged for the test?

Under Federal law, there should be no charge for the tests. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LuvCruzn4Evr said:

Received a notification late last night which provided a QR code to scan and subsequently schedule an appointment time to take the covid test at the port for our Equinox embarkation today. Hopefully, this will result in a lesser nightmare than the one yesterday for the Edge embarkation. Of course this depends greatly on 1) how many are able to schedule appointments, 2) how Celebrity directs those with vs without appointments and 3) lots of luck!

I got this too but didn’t see it till this morning, went to the registration, did it, then got a text saying celebrity has scheduled my test for my arrival window.

about 5 minutes ago got another text saying that the tests at the terminal will be optional for vaccinated guests.

a bit confusing, but I do appreciate they are trying to make things work smoothly….

Edited by 2XPCV
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. A moment ago, received new guidance from Celebrity for today’s (8/1) Equinox sailing: “Pre-cruise testing in the terminal today will be optional for vaccinated guests and required for unvaccinated guests. 

8B899342-7C76-4D52-81DD-B4699901ED87.png

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 2XPCV said:

I got this too but didn’t see it till this morning, went to the registration, did it, then got a text saying celebrity has scheduled my test for my arrival window.

about 5 minutes ago got another text saying that the tests at the terminal will be optional for vaccinated guests.

a bit confusing, but I do appreciate they are trying to make things work smoothly….

We too just got another email saying tests are optional for vaccinated so now this begs the question 'Will they change their minds a 3rd time?'  UGH!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LuvCruzn4Evr said:

We too just got another email saying tests are optional for vaccinated so now this begs the question 'Will they change their minds a 3rd time?'  UGH!!!

No, this was an easy decision. Yesterday's Edge embarkation debacle angered all the guests, got some negative news and blogger coverage, cost X $200 OBC per cabin, and they only managed to get about half the ship tested.

All-in-all, not worth a repeat.

41 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Trying to understand who is charging for the tests?  I know my state (Ohio) says I can be tested as much as once per day, and it’s free (I’m sure someone is paying, just not me).  Is it the Federal Gov’t? Is it the State?  Is it insurance?  

It says the cost of testing before embarkation is up to the passenger.  But, so far, I’ve yet to find the sources I use (CVS-Walgreens-Local Hospital-Family GP) that will charge me for the test.

Who in here has been charged for the test?

Here in my city it is free at CVS pharmacies with insurance. I know of some independent urgent cares who do testing and they will not take insurance so you pay $175 for antigen and $250 for PCR tests, these are only good for last minute tests where places like CVS have no testing times available.

CVS will let me schedule a test, for free, up to 14 days prior to the testing date. For our Aug 27th Equinox cruise I will be able to schedule a Aug 25th test as early as Aug. 11th. Will do an antigen text and have results by email that same day.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

When I signed up --- just went to the link for Covid testing -   I clicked yes for the first question and no to all others.    It set me up for an appointment time and no cost.    I guess I am saying it isn't voluntary but out  of concern to not spread Covid-19.

I previously did one and chose not to give them my insurance information. 

image.png.a42e28c6110d7e3389b0d465111398fc.png

This is exactly the sign up screen I  got. I filled in my insurance info, etc. At no point did it say that needing a test in order to travel was not covered. Maybe it depends on insurance coverage.

8 hours ago, dalemon42 said:

The e-mail only mentions PCR and antigen tests. The ID Now is a NAAT test, so it wouldn’t appear to apply, but in practice who knows what Celebrity might accept if someone showed up with one. I was told the PCR from Walgreens had a 48 hour turn around currently from a local pharmacist.

I don't know the science here, but my read of the Walgreen website is that their "PCR" test is also a NAAT test.  Under the Hawaii FAQ:  The Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) and Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR) provided by Walgreens are nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT). 

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing#!

14 minutes ago, LuvCruzn4Evr said:

After shelling out about $150,000 in OBC for the nightmare yesterday on the Edge, Celebrity must have decided to go this route for todays sailings.  Now what is going to be the policy next week going forward?

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

So, even though our email relative to our Seattle departure later in the month didn't have the paragraph stating that tests would be required, it did have a link to register for a test.  The way the email was worded, it seemed to indicate that testing was only for children.  Nevertheless, we (my spouse got her email this morning and it was the same as mine) went through the registration link as shown and registered for a test.  The test was confirmed and scheduled as part of the check-in process.  It was easy.

The problem, of course, is if a test is positive we will already be in Seattle.  But, this was going to be an issue anyway since we couldn't get a result prior to departing home within the 72 hour window.

At least if a test is required, we have one scheduled.

Looking forward to the next surprise.  😷?

52 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Agreed.  Hoping that no one gets a similar note saying “we are now requiring passengers to be fully masked throughout the cruise”

Take the test make much logic than the vaxed cards.There are doctors selling the cards in Florida.One of the doctor was caught doing few weeks ago.

Edited by verizon

Looks like Celebrity has reconsidered one of its policies.  The email I received had this sentence:

"Should a guest be unable to complete the testing requirements, a 100% refund or Future Cruise Credit will be offered."

which was also what was on their website yesterday but now their official website policy has been revised to read:

"Should a guest be unable to complete the testing requirements, a Future Cruise Credit will be offered."

LOL, I wonder who was fired because they included the "R" word in the policy initially.

23 minutes ago, Jeremiah On a Cruise said:

I don't know the science here, but my read of the Walgreen website is that their "PCR" test is also a NAAT test.  Under the Hawaii FAQ:  The Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) and Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR) provided by Walgreens are nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT). 

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing#!

All PCRs are NAATs but not all NAATs are true PCR in the sense that a thermocycler is involved with multiple rounds of amplification and melting of the DNA.

The IDNow is a somewhat unique piece of tech that uses DNA probes as a reagent, but doesn’t amplify the results quite as much (it is an isothermal, doesn’t heat up measurement).

Practically, what that means is that is much faster than a “true PCR”, and a bit less sensitive, which is not all a bad thing for Covid testing. It is more sensitive than an antigen test and almost as fast.

Edited by cangelmd
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Straughn said:

This is exactly the sign up screen I  got. I filled in my insurance info, etc. At no point did it say that needing a test in order to travel was not covered. Maybe it depends on insurance coverage.

I spoke with CVS and they said that they ask for you insurance so they can bill them for you shot but that if you do not have insurance or wish not to disclose they will still perform the test for free and the Government reimburses them. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, verizon said:

Take the test make much logic than the vaxed cards.There are doctors selling the cards in Florida.One of the doctor was caught doing few weeks ago.

My understanding is that the test does not replace the need for your Vax card but is an additional requirement. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VermontsFinest said:

3 days = 72 hours, right?

I may be anal but I am following the exact wording of 72 hours.   The next difficult definition is what they mean by embarkation.    Officially embarkation according to Webster is when you go on the ship.   I really doubt in reality they will try to figure out to exactly 72 hours with all the different time zones.    

I may have a bit more latitude being on the West Coast but I scheduled my September 5th cruise for 4:00 PM PDT (7PM Eastern)  on September 2 test.  

I guess we can see what other cruisers’ experience is on next weekend’s cruises when it will be our responsibility to have a negative test result.  Vis a vis what exactly “72 hours” and “embarkation” translate to.  So anyone cruising next weekend, report back!

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 7:35 PM, Jeremiah On a Cruise said:

Respectfully, these comments are not helpful.

I know that my kids get upset over the test because they have been tested twice in the last couple of months.  Each was an ordeal.  They hated it.  And as a result, we may choose to not do our trip.  It's a bummer, but it's life.

Regarding the risks.  In the last 18 months, per CDC, 282 kids ages 5-18 have died due to COVID.  That's tragic, and I can't imagine going through it.  I am, and encourage others to get vaccinated.  But empirically, my kids have a greater risk of death on our drive to the pier than from COVID.  We have, and continue to do a ton to protect them for COVID - so please don't take my response as nonchalant.   I'm trying to do right my by kids. 

Sources, are listed here: https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-Focus-on-Ages-0-18-Yea/nr4s-juj3/data   https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/children-covid-19-and-vaccines  https://www.cdc.gov/transportationsafety/child_passenger_safety/cps-factsheet.html#:~:text=In the United States%2C motor,more than 97%2C000 were injured. 

But it’s not only YOUR kids. It’s the people that YOUR kids could infect. It’s so great that people only think of themselves and not the greater good. 

• Like 6

I really doubt the people at check-in will be so nit picky about 72 hours vs 3 days (or smart enough to know the difference), but, even if they do, my guess is they will offer to retest you on-site if they feel you tried in good faith but haven't met their requirements rather than turn you away over a technicality. 

It's not in their best interest to send people home from the port who could otherwise travel on the ship.   

I would also assume the policies will be revised many times in the next few days based upon lessons learned at FLL. 

1 hour ago, jgmorgan said:

It also appears (based on a quote from another thread) that the testing requirement is 3 days (rather than 72 hours).

The airlines made this simple. Three calendar days, and they do not count your boarding day as one of them.

2 minutes ago, runningtide said:

The airlines made this simple. Three calendar days, and they do not count your boarding day as one of them.

I flew United to Hawaii a month or so ago, and there was never a requirement by the airline to have a covid test and was never asked.  Now entering Hawaii was a different story.