It looks like Celebrity is now requiring negative COVID test before boarding

jcpc

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I wonder if Celebrity is really going to enforce this next week.  There is so much confusion.

Here is what I would expect to happen:

1.  There will be a certain percentage of people who come to the pier and did not get the e-mail and the test.

2.  There will be a certain percentage of people who got the e-mail but did not get an approved test.

3.  There will be a certain percentage of people who got the e-mail but got the test outside of the 72 hours due to time zone differences and other lack of specificity.

What could go wrong?

All I know is we'll have our negative antigen tests along with our CDC cards in hand ready for check-in at our assigned check-in time. But as far as those that will say "we didn't know" or "we couldn't find a place in time to get the required test done", or "no one told us our 12-15 year old needed to be vaccinated", I have no sympathy for them as they have been waiting just as long as we have to go on a cruise and should have been on top of this as Celebrity has not been shy about sending out notification emails. Now, how Celebrity will treat those issues, I guess only time will tell.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

All I know is we'll have our negative antigen tests along with our CDC cards in hand ready for check-in at our assigned check-in time. But as far as those that will say "we didn't know" or "we couldn't find a place in time to get the required test done", or "no one told us our 12-15 year old needed to be vaccinated", I have no sympathy for them as they have been waiting just as long as we have to go on a cruise and should have been on top of this as Celebrity has not been shy about sending out notification emails. Now, how Celebrity will treat those issues, I guess only time will tell.

We do not have to be on top of anything except as being parents and at work duties. Yes, the cruising is not a privilege (if one likes this term); however, it is not a responsibility either. It is a vacation AKA stress-free relaxation experience. I have no idea why one would think of it anyhow else (“I’m OK with masking”, I’m OK with someone daily poking my brain through my nose”, “I’m OK with cruise line only tours”, “I’m OK if all port of calls on my itinerary are cancelled” - I read them all; so funny).  By the way, I decided to use “laugh”, “funny”, because I am burned with all this nonsense; so, would I harm myself further with worries; I had enough).

Let’s cruise (not bruise)!

Edited by kirtihk

They haven't required it for my Panama Canal cruise yet, but I am guessing it is just a matter of time. The big thing that worries me is what if I end up with a false positive on the Antegen test.  I am hosed then. I know the Antegen test is quicker, but it is also the one with a history of false positives.  I will have a complete break down if I miss my cruise due to a botched test.  I just wish I could rely on the timing for the PCR test. 

• Like 2

The suggestion to sail on HAL instead is a valid one, except we got stuck with Future Cruise Credit on Celebrity and wanted to use it up ASAP.  That's really the only reason we chose this trip.  They have been holding our money since March 2020, long enough.  But the rates are so much higher now that even with applying FCC to our fare the balance we paid was almost the same amount we had paid for the same cruise 2 years ago on the Summit.  But we still felt we wanted to use them up. 

HAL is actually our go-to line and we probably won't sail Celebrity again after this experience unless they fix the problems with testing before we leave in 3 weeks.

Edited by Real NHDOC

15 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I wonder if Celebrity is really going to enforce this next week.  There is so much confusion.

1.  There will be a certain percentage of people who come to the pier and did not get the e-mail and the test.

2.  There will be a certain percentage of people who got the e-mail but did not get an approved test.

3.  There will be a certain percentage of people who got the e-mail but got the test outside of the 72 hours due to time zone differences and other lack of specificity.

What could go wrong?

I thought about this.  I think Celebrity stands fast on their requirements.  For all the reported foibles, (mostly at embarkation, testing, etc) the cruises themselves have gone off without a hitch.

In order….

1.  If you did not respond to the emails (which there have been multiples of), the phone calls, etc about testing, then you’re purposely ignoring them, in my estimation.  No tests?  No cruise!

2.  If you did get the message, and ignored the message anyway, you don’t cruise.

3.  This is the sticky one.  To me, they’ve asked for a negative COVID test 72 hours (or less) of embarkation (which ordinarily begins at noon).  That’s cut and dry.  Just count backwards from your embarkation date…easy-peezy!  For example, Embarkation is noon on a Saturday, counting back 72 hours, you should get your test on Wednesday, which means you’ll have your results either within an hour or so, all the way up to 24-36 hours before embarkation.  These will be emailed to you, so they’d be accessible on your phone or tablet.

The sticky part is which test?  They just say you need an Antigen test, or a PCR test.  My TA (who is excellent by they way) said it doesn’t matter which one, as long as you have the results in the time frame stipulated.  Antigen or PCR….all the rest?  No go.  Mixed vaccine manufacturers?  No go!

Hopefully that helps.  I know some are looking for ways around this with exceptions.  But, they’ve posted their requirements everywhere.  They’ve called (at least they called me) more than once with the requirements.  They’ve emailed they requirements (more than once).  It’s not like they haven’t used every source available to them to inform any passenger what’s required.

The questions I have with anyone saying they didn’t get the information, how did you get your ticket? How did you get the memo about needing a Passport?  This is the same thing as getting info regarding COVID vaccines/tests.  Why is there confusion?

• Like 1

Have you seen the below article today regarding the Bahamas and their latest COVID prevention requirements that also coincidently starts Aug 6th. The important paragraph regarding cruising from the US after Aug 6th is in the last paragraph.

Those guests on a cruise that originated in the United States do not need to comply with the above but instead must comply with the rules laid out by the cruise lines, as the Bahamian government has approved these.

The Bahamas Updates Protocols for Travel Including Cruise Passengers (cruisehive.com)

37 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I thought about this.  I think Celebrity stands fast on their requirements.  For all the reported foibles, (mostly at embarkation, testing, etc) the cruises themselves have gone off without a hitch.

In order….

1.  If you did not respond to the emails (which there have been multiples of), the phone calls, etc about testing, then you’re purposely ignoring them, in my estimation.  No tests?  No cruise!

2.  If you did get the message, and ignored the message anyway, you don’t cruise.

3.  This is the sticky one.  To me, they’ve asked for a negative COVID test 72 hours (or less) of embarkation (which ordinarily begins at noon).  That’s cut and dry.  Just count backwards from your embarkation date…easy-peezy!  For example, Embarkation is noon on a Saturday, counting back 72 hours, you should get your test on Wednesday, which means you’ll have your results either within an hour or so, all the way up to 24-36 hours before embarkation.  These will be emailed to you, so they’d be accessible on your phone or tablet.

The sticky part is which test?  They just say you need an Antigen test, or a PCR test.  My TA (who is excellent by they way) said it doesn’t matter which one, as long as you have the results in the time frame stipulated.  Antigen or PCR….all the rest?  No go.  Mixed vaccine manufacturers?  No go!

Hopefully that helps.  I know some are looking for ways around this with exceptions.  But, they’ve posted their requirements everywhere.  They’ve called (at least they called me) more than once with the requirements.  They’ve emailed they requirements (more than once).  It’s not like they haven’t used every source available to them to inform any passenger what’s required.

The questions I have with anyone saying they didn’t get the information, how did you get your ticket? How did you get the memo about needing a Passport?  This is the same thing as getting info regarding COVID vaccines/tests.  Why is there confusion?

Lets add to this :

4.  Celebrity did not select the same testing requirements as reentry into the USA.  Most know what those are.

5.  They should team up with providers that have a large footprint in the USA or providers at MIA and FLL to provide these services.  The airlines have done this.  The instructions could be something like go to blah blah at FLL between the hours of such and such.

Sorry if this seems like a half baked last minute set of requirements because it is.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Lets add to this :

4.  Celebrity did not select the same testing requirements as reentry into the USA.  Most know what those are.

5.  They should team up with providers that have a large footprint in the USA or providers at MIA and FLL to provide these services.  The airlines have done this.  The instructions could be something like go to blah blah at FLL between the hours of such and such.

Sorry if this seems like a half baked last minute set of requirements because it is.

Yes, it's half baked and there's no excuse for it other than the management at Celebrity who apparently haven't learned anything about crisis management over the past 18 months.  I hope they can get their act together but have little faith they will.  I suspect all those saying "it's no big deal" don't actually have plans to cruise in the next month or don't understand that it is a hassle to add it like this and dump all of the responsibility of getting it done to their non-specific requirements on the "guest" who are just trying to have a relaxing vacation.

I know their goal is to have everyone show up at the port with a clean bill of health but they really should offer the option of last minute testing to guests who for whatever reason just cannot get the test done in time or through no fault of their own don't meet their requirements.  But they are apparently taking the position they will determine if you have met the requirements when you show up to sail and if, in their sole discretion, you have not then the ship will sail without you.

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

What could go wrong?

These people are unfortunately going to exist if they implement this today or in 3 months. At some point you have to rip the bandaid off. It's going to become an expected layer of travel planning just like making sure you have passports, visas, etc all in good standing before you travel. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Lets add to this :

I guess I'm not following.  This is what the CDC says is acceptable for re entry to the U.S., which is the same as Celebrity is requiring, and widely available.

The testing providers are very common in the U.S. (Walgreens, CVS, Kroger Pharmacies, etc).  I just did a Google search of Covid Testing centers near the FLL cruise port that took all of 2 seconds and found this.....https://carbonhealth.com/coronavirus/covid-19-testing-centers/Florida/Fort-Lauderdale. Even the hours are listed.

In addition, they offer testing at the FLL airport.  I don't know how much easier it could be, aside from taking someone by the hand and leading them to the nearest pharmacy and walking them to the pharmacy window.

"The CDC will accept results of molecular PCR tests as well as the less reliable rapid antigen tests"

The mere fact that you're here, with the wealth of information that is being posted about this topic should make this simple and informative.  I mean, you need your passport to travel, too.  How did you find information about getting that?  That's a much more difficult, yet you did it.  Right?

Edited by graphicguy

30 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

These people are unfortunately going to exist if they implement this today or in 3 months. At some point you have to rip the bandaid off. It's going to become an expected layer of travel planning just like making sure you have passports, visas, etc all in good standing before you travel. 

Agree.  When you travel, by plane, by train, by ship, etc...you're going to need to bring proper ID (Lord help anyone who claims they don't have the "real ID" that was just implemented when they go to the airport).  You're going to have to bring/wear a mask.  You're going to have to have negative COVID tests to sail and/or to enter/leave some countries.

To say "I can't do it", or "I won't do it", or "I refuse to learn how to do it" isn't going to gain you entry on a ship.  This has gone past "what" or "how".  This is headed in the direction of "I won't".  Your prerogative if that's your stance.  But, eventually you're going to have to be responsible for yourself with these requirements if you want to sail.  Or, as you say, the bandaid has to be torn off.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I guess I'm not following.  This is what the CDC says is acceptable for re entry to the U.S., which is the same as Celebrity is requiring, and widely available.

The testing providers are very common in the U.S. (Walgreens, CVS, Kroger Pharmacies, etc).  I just did a Google search of Covid Testing centers near the FLL cruise port that took all of 2 seconds and found this.....https://carbonhealth.com/coronavirus/covid-19-testing-centers/Florida/Fort-Lauderdale. Even the hours are listed.

In addition, they offer testing at the FLL airport.  I don't know how much easier it could be, aside from taking someone by the hand and leading them to the nearest pharmacy and walking them to the pharmacy window.

"The CDC will accept results of molecular PCR tests as well as the less reliable rapid antigen tests"

The mere fact that you're here, with the wealth of information that is being posted about this topic should make this simple and informative.  I mean, you need your passport to travel, too.  How did you find information about getting that?  That's a much more difficult, yet you did it.  Right?

Here is a CDC approved test that I believe Celebrity does not allow?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/abbott-at-home-covid-test/

This is a test that would make it easy.  All you need is a reliable internet connection.  No fuss no muss.

The information that is on this board is helpful.  Unfortunately not everyone reads Cruise Critic.

Edited by NMTraveller

For kicks and giggles I followed the link provided above and tried to find a place that offered an appointment in the next 7 days.  No luck with places near the port and I suspect that will be the case throughout Florida given their self-inflicted new surge of cases.  So, yes, there are plenty of places that offer testing but try and get an appointment and they're all booked up, at least for the near future.   

So let me say this again so people who say how easy it is...it isn't always as easy as you think it is to ACTUALLY DO IT.

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

In addition, they offer testing at the FLL airport I don't know how much easier it could be, aside from taking someone by the hand and leading them to the nearest pharmacy and walking them to the pharmacy window.

Most pharmacies don’t take walk-ins for COVID testing, so the above isn’t helping anyone. And unlike making an appointment at a pharmacy for testing, FLL airport isn’t free (it’s actually quite expensive).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kirtihk said:

We do not have to be on top of anything except as being parents and at work duties. Yes, the cruising is not a privilege (if one likes this term); however, it is not a responsibility either. It is a vacation AKA stress-free relaxation experience. I have no idea why one would think of it anyhow else (“I’m OK with masking”, I’m OK with someone daily poking my brain through my nose”, “I’m OK with cruise line only tours”, “I’m OK if all port of calls on my itinerary are cancelled” - I read them all; so funny).  By the way, I decided to use “laugh”, “funny”, because I am burned with all this nonsense; so, would I harm myself further with worries; I had enough).

Let’s cruise (not bruise)!

It's OK to not be OK....just don't cruise and you'll be OK.......just don't walk around your neighbourhood....you may not be OK.  👍

Edited by Oceangoer2

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

This is a test that would make it easy.  All you need is a reliable internet connection.

The information that is on this board is helpful.  Unfortunately not everyone reads Cruise Critic.

Yes, allowing a home test or home sampling with a mail-in test would eliminate most of the hassle, but Celebrity, in their infinite wisdom has deemed these methods unacceptable.

Just now, NMTraveller said:

This is a test that would make it easy.  All you need is a reliable internet connection.

Yeah...I like the POINTS GUY posts.  Somethings I I like about his posts (like credit card points comparisons).  This is something I wouldn't rely on from him. 

The home tests are fraught with issues.  First, they aren't accepted by any of the cruise lines (as far as I know) because the rapid tests are less accurate. I've read a little bit about why that is, but I'm not a Dr.  So, I'll take their word for it.

I don't consider going to a pharmacy (where at least where I live, is practically on every other block) difficult.  They use the much more accurate PCR and Antigen tests (vs rapid tests you get from Abbott).

Not saying you should or shouldn't do any of this.  That's up to you. It isn't difficult, is the point.   It's up to you whether you want to or not.  Celebrity has communicated their requirements.  If you can't comply, or don't want to comply, regardless of the reason, you can't sail.

But saying it's too difficult really isn't going to net you anything from the cruise lines.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah...I like the POINTS GUY posts.  Somethings I I like about his posts (like credit card points comparisons).  This is something I wouldn't rely on from him. 

The home tests are fraught with issues.  First, they aren't accepted by any of the cruise lines (as far as I know) because the rapid tests are less accurate. I've read a little bit about why that is, but I'm not a Dr.  So, I'll take their word for it.

I don't consider going to a pharmacy (where at least where I live, is practically on every other block) difficult.  They use the much more accurate PCR and Antigen tests (vs rapid tests you get from Abbott).

Not saying you should or shouldn't do any of this.  That's up to you. It isn't difficult, is the point.   It's up to you whether you want to or not.  Celebrity has communicated their requirements.  If you can't comply, or don't want to comply, regardless of the reason, you can't sail.

But saying it's too difficult really isn't going to net you anything from the cruise lines.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/diagnostics-testing/BinaxNOW-NAVICA-and-united-book-your-travel-now.html

United has teamed up with Abbott.  If they are not reliable enough tests then the CDC should stop accepting them.

You should talk to the CDC and tell the CDC that these tests are not reliable enough.

Just did another search in and around the FLL cruise port area.  Just looked at CVS (I'm sure Walgreens has as many locations, maybe more) near the port.  It took 2 seconds.  There were 7 locations to get tested.  They note that Rapid Antigen tests aren't accepted by all travel conveyances.  But, they do PCR tests, too (which are accepted by Celebrity).  They had appointments available today, tomorrow, the next day, the day after that......................

Again, it isn't that difficult.

Not sure why anyone wants to claim it is.

Either you accept Celebrity's guidelines, or not.  If not, Celebrity has been quite clear you aren't going to sail.

As my late Father loved to say when I was whining about some rule he made...."you can cry about it, you can whine about it...but none of that is going to change it".  One of the many lessons I cherish.

Edited by graphicguy

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/diagnostics-testing/BinaxNOW-NAVICA-and-united-book-your-travel-now.html

United has teamed up with Abbott.  If they are not reliable enough tests then the CDC should stop accepting them.

You should talk to the CDC and tell the CDC that these tests are not reliable enough.

No point in arguing  about home testing, Celebrity has made it clear, home tests are NOT acceptable.  If you are going on a cruise prior to Sept 6th, get an acceptable test or cancel the cruise, it is as simple as that. Showing up at the terminal with it was too hard to get a test excuse will not get you on the ship.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, spiritkat090909 said:

The Celebrity healthy-at-sea, as of Aug 2 NOW says... 3 days instead of 72 hours.  If they will tell the port  workers, it is a little bit simpler.  Wed test for Saturday cruise, Thrs test for Sunday cruise.

That makes it a little better.  Instead of counting backwards with hours, it's days.  I'm sailing next Saturday.  I'm going to my GP for a test a week from today.  He will have results on Thursday.  So, I'll be good to go.

• Like 2

Just now, terrydtx said:

No point in arguing  about home testing, Celebrity has made it clear, home tests are NOT acceptable.  If you are going on a cruise prior to Sept 6th, get an acceptable test or cancel the cruise, it is as simple as that. Showing up at the terminal with it was too hard to get a test excuse will not get you on the ship.

I agree.  However the person that I was responding to said that Celebrity was using the CDC flight requirements and they are not.