It looks like Celebrity is now requiring negative COVID test before boarding

jcpc

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Or do as some others have done, test at home first and fly only if the test is negative. Then retest within the X time guidelines. There no guarantee that the second test result will be the same, but the odds will be in your favor. 

We think the same.    I bought some home test kits to test close to the end of our first part of a B2B just  to make sure before they test us on the  ship.

I checked yesterday at CVS and they said they were sold out      I have a month before my cruise so purchased on Amazon but they say usually ship within 1-2 weeks.  

Just now, graphicguy said:

That’s the entire issue.  I hope no one would do this.  But, it’s entirely possible for someone to take a home COVID test, find out they’re positive, get Jimmy the newspaper boy take a negative one for them, and embark on the ship with COVID!

Exactly my point, and why I think that cruise lines would be reluctant to accept home of any type.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We think the same.    I bought some home test kits to test close to the end of our first part of a B2B just  to make sure before they test us on the  ship.

I checked yesterday at CVS and they said they were sold out      I have a month before my cruise so purchased on Amazon but they say usually ship within 1-2 weeks.  

Now that is a good use for home testing!

• Like 1

We can debate all day about the inconvenience and extra difficulty, anxiety, etc. testing adds to the process, but in the end, we're going to do it if we want to sail.

MSC tests at the pier and some people were reporting waits of nearly 4 hours to board this past weekend. The Apex and SXM cruises Celebrity has done are carrying very small passenger loads. Far smaller than Edge and Equinox. AOS out of Nassau has strictly enforced arrival times. We've seen the pages and pages of discussion here with people upset when boarding is slow and pages and pages of discussion with all of the various reasons why people do not feel they can or should have to adhere to Celebrity's new scheduled arrival times.  

Cruising today is not like cruising in 2019. That's just the reality we have to be willing to accept if you want to sail anytime in the foreseeable future. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Cruising is my passion said:

I cannot locate anything within Healthy At Sea regarding your observation that as of 8/2 Celebrity went to negative Covid test within 3 days of embarking rather than 72 hours. Can you find it and submit it here? Thanks.

Clearly the poster misread the Healthy at Sea information. See post 458, in which another poster kindly posted the correct information directly from the X web site.

Edited by Silkroad

I honestly don't think it's all that hard for most of us to get a valid COVID test prior to embarkation.  Of course, there will be some exceptions where it will be extremely difficult to get one -- but for MOST of us it will be easy.

Of course if you don't WANT to get one that is your choice.  But then you will also choose not to cruise!!

I contacted my General Practioner's office and spoke to the nurse.  They offer 2 types of testing in their office:  a PCR test or a Molecular or RNA Rapid test.  Since the Molecular or RNA Rapid test is not technically called an Antigen test (although from what I've read online the Molecular or RNA Rapid test is more accurate than an Antigen test) I've opted for the PCR test.  I've also read that the PCR test is the most accurate testing method and that the Rapid Antigen tests can produce false positive results.  I've booked an appointment for Wednesday afternoon at 1:30 pm.  I will have my results Thursday afternoon (the nurse said they have not experienced one person waiting more than 24 hours for results......so fingers crossed!).  If all is well I'll fly to FLL on Friday to board the Edge on Saturday, September 4th.

I am not all that knowledgeable regarding COVID and COVID testing (thankfully) so I thought my safest option would be the PCR test.

My backup plan, just in case I don't get results from my PCR test on Thursday afternoon, is to schedule an appointment at CVS (as soon as I'm able......CVS in our area only allows scheduling within 14 days) for a Rapid Antigen test on Thursday afternoon.  If I get my results back from the PCR test I will cancel my appointment for the Rapid Atigen test.

I personally am very happy that Celebrity has made it a requirement that all guests need to get a COVID test prior to sailing.  It's not 100% foolproof that nobody will board the ship with COVID but it's better than no testing at all.

• Like 2

For the people who think the problem with home testing/swabbing is traceability I would say it would be much easier to forge a fake negative covid test than to go to the trouble of finding someone known to be negative to take the test for you.  If you really want to game the system then there's always a way to do it.  So, if Celebrity was REALLY concerned that they had the best data available they would just do the testing at the port the morning of the sailing so that would eliminate the possibility of fake negative test paperwork.  That would also eliminate the 72 hour incubation period that would allow someone to test negative on Tuesday but have COVID by Friday when the ship sails. 

They aren't doing that so they ought to allow home sampling/testing.

Edited by Real NHDOC

8 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

We can debate all day about the inconvenience and extra difficulty, anxiety, etc. testing adds to the process, but in the end, we're going to do it if we want to sail.

This! I certainly don’t want to wait hours at the pier for testing, so if testing is required I’ll find a way to get it done. That said, I do wish X would change the requirement to “within three days” instead of “within 72 hours” of embarkation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks for your thoughful reply. My cruise is September 4,  so, yes, ASAP  I plan on getting a pcr test appointment for  the 72 hour mark to whatever Celebrity clarifies is 72 hours . There are tons of places that do that locally. I'll also set up an antigen test for the same day, closest (and only ) one is 1 hour away.  So if any unintended circumstances happen I have appointment/test backup. Given how FL case numbers are exploding, I am hoping more places will start getting antigen tests near me. They are cheaper and easier so i can't understand why they are uncommon here.

We are planning on driving to the port area the day before. Now I'm rethinking that and may drive down the day of, just to avoid any unnecessary contacts. 

Big unexpected problems I handle with aplomb!  But  a situation like this , where there's time to plan ?  Well, I always like eliminating as many  variables as i can and right now  there are too many i can't. 

I feel for those flying in, who can lose  serious $ if things don't go smoothly. 

Best wishes for your upcoming cruise. Im sure it will be another good read for us !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Exactly my point, and why I think that cruise lines would be reluctant to accept home of any type.

You and GrapicsGuy can take this up with the CDC.  It is approved by them.  Bring up your best arguments for Walensky.  

Personally I would think that a 15 to 30 minute recording, a phone ID, credit card, and a driver's license, perhaps insurance id, would be more than CVS or the in person places were requiring.  Furthermore there is a likelihood of positive people coming in to pick up the test or have one administered at CVS.  Our local CVS stores do not have outdoor testing.

It is a new test approval in the last several weeks so there are not blogger videos up yet.  It is a must have for United.  They scan your app and you are good to go.  Otherwise someone must look at the papers to see if it meets the rules.

I will pick several up coming back into the USA as they are approved by the CDC.

What is the motive behinds someone forging documents and ending up in jail?  Or going on a cruise sick?

If people are going to forge documents and provide false ID they can do it easier at CVS without the video recording.

Edited by NMTraveller

Silkroad,

Thank you for the lead to post 458. I knew what I read in the email yesterday from Celebrity being 72 hours and are planning for that scenario. How or why people interpret what is in print lies beyond me. Until I get a notice from X stating otherwise, I will abide by the within 72 hours of embarkation, (it does not state departure. There is a difference.)

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

That’s the entire issue.  I hope no one would do this.  But, it’s entirely possible for someone to take a home COVID test, find out they’re positive, get Jimmy the newspaper boy take a negative one for them, and embark on the ship with COVID!

Last I read was that 😆😁Jimmy and Ned both charge hefty sums! 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

Thanks for your thoughful reply. My cruise is September 4,  so, yes, ASAP  I plan on getting a pcr test appointment for  the 72 hour mark to whatever Celebrity clarifies is 72 hours . There are tons of places that do that locally. I'll also set up an antigen test for the same day, closest (and only ) one is 1 hour away.  So if any unintended circumstances happen I have appointment/test backup. Given how FL case numbers are exploding, I am hoping more places will start getting antigen tests near me. They are cheaper and easier so i can't understand why they are uncommon here.

We are planning on driving to the port area the day before. Now I'm rethinking that and may drive down the day of, just to avoid any unnecessary contacts. 

Big unexpected problems I handle with aplomb!  But  a situation like this , where there's time to plan ?  Well, I always like eliminating as many  variables as i can and right now  there are too many i can't. 

I feel for those flying in, who can lose  serious $ if things don't go smoothly. 

Best wishes for your upcoming cruise. Im sure it will be another good read for us !

Will do.  FL is a bit worrisome right now.  I always get anxious about "not knowing what I don't know".

Hoping things go according to plan and you have a great cruise on the Sept 4 sailing.

Having options is the key.  I have options with my flights.  I even have options with my PCR tests.  I take a PCR about once a week given my GF works in healthcare and is around infected people all the time.  We're both vaccinated, and we know break through cases are rare.  But, we never know.

My GP will test me with PCR next Wednesday.  I get my results in 24 hours or less.  If something goes sideways there, I have another appointment at my local CVS the following day, which should give me results by Friday.  I sail Saturday.

I just saw where Carnival is requiring masks again in certain areas of the ship.  I also noticed that Royal is requiring the same 3 day COVID tests and now, all passengers over the age of 12 need to be vaccinated, same as Celebrity.

The COVID tests are going to be required more and more for the cruise lines.  Those drug stores in FL, Galveston, Seattle, NYC, etc better be ready for the onslaught of the drive through test demands.

9 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I also noticed that Royal is requiring the same 3 day COVID tests and now, all passengers over the age of 12 need to be vaccinated, same as Celebrity.

Royal Caribbean always required this. The problem with the Royal ships is that they're not sailing with 95%+ fully vaccinated. They're letting on loads of unvaccinated children, and so everyone is more at risk and everyone has to wear masks on board in many indoor areas (unlike Celebrity... so far).

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

There's a business model for some enterprising young lad.....LOL!

Or perhaps some enterprising young lass. (It's 2021, after all.) 😅

1 minute ago, ReubenR said:

Royal Caribbean always required this. The problem with the Royal ships is that they're not sailing with 95%+ fully vaccinated. They're letting on loads of unvaccinated children, and so everyone is more at risk and everyone has to wear masks on board in many indoor areas (unlike Celebrity... so far).

Or perhaps some enterprising young lass. (It's 2021, after all.) 😅

Touche!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ReubenR said:

Royal only used to require it of unvaxxed guest.  It is new that they required it from everyone.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

You and GrapicsGuy can take this up with the CDC.  It is approved by them.  Bring up your best arguments for Walensky.  

Personally I would think that a 15 to 30 minute recording, a phone ID, credit card, and a driver's license, perhaps insurance id, would be more than CVS or the in person places were requiring.  Furthermore there is a likelihood of positive people coming in to pick up the test or have one administered at CVS.  Our local CVS stores do not have outdoor testing.

It is a new test approval in the last several weeks so there are not blogger videos up yet.  It is a must have for United.  They scan your app and you are good to go.  Otherwise someone must look at the papers to see if it meets the rules.

I will pick several up coming back into the USA as they are approved by the CDC.

What is the motive behinds someone forging documents and ending up in jail?  Or going on a cruise sick?

If people are going to forge documents and provide false ID they can do it easier at CVS without the video recording.

You can take this up with Celebrity. I've no issue with Celebrity's decision, so why would I go knocking on CDC's door? And to say what, that Celebrity is being too cautious during the delta surge? 

From your post, it's clear that you haven't actually done one of these telehealth monitored self tests and that you are purely guessing at what steps, if any, are taken to verify identification. This is why I was asking for someone to provide actual first-hand experience, not just CC members' guesses.

Why does anyone do anything that might land them in jail? No one forges documents to land in jail, but there may be some who would forge a vaccination or negative test to get on a cruise. For example, someone who tests positive but is asymptomatic and feels fine. 

13 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

You can take this up with Celebrity. I've no issue with Celebrity's decision, so why would I go knocking on CDC's door? And to say what, that Celebrity is being too cautious during the delta surge? 

From your post, it's clear that you haven't actually done one of these telehealth monitored self tests and that you are purely guessing at what steps, if any, are taken to verify identification. This is why I was asking for someone to provide actual first-hand experience, not just CC members' guesses.

Because you were questioning the efficacy of the testing the CDC had approved.  The CDC outranks Celebrity in my book.

I did not say that Celebrity was being too cautious.  First you have to have a readily available testing.  Every airline I have a flight on tells me exactly where I can get the test I need for my flight.  Celebrity does not.  

What Celebrity is doing is nothing new.  The airlines have been doing it for months successfully.  Yet Celebrity decides to reinvent the wheel vs learning lessons from the airlines.

I have done telehealth before.  There are not the issues you claim to be present with telehealth.  Have I done this specific test with telehealth.  No.  I do not have a need to until December.  Have you done telehealth?  What issues have you had with telehealth?  Teleheath has been around for several years now.

Edited by NMTraveller

2 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Because you were questioning the efficacy of the testing the CDC had approved.  The CDC outranks Celebrity in my book.

I did not say that Celebrity was being too cautious.  First you have to have a readily available testing.  Every airline I have a flight on tells me exactly where I can get the test I need for my flight.  Celebrity does not.  

I have done telehealth before.  There are not the issues you claim to be present with telehealth.  Have I done this specific test with telehealth.  No.  I do not have a need to until December.  Have you done telehealth?

I never questioned the efficacy of the test. The only question I had and still have is whether anyone who has actually taken this specific COVID test could provide information on the ID process.

Get back to us in December, after you have taken this test and can provide a recounting of your experience. 😇

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 1:42 PM, terrydtx said:

I do not know where you get your information about a doctors note for CVS.  

Here is the link to CVS and covers information that is valid for all locations. Nothing about a doctors note or referral. Just answer a few validating qualification questions, locate a location and then schedule, it can't be any easier. PCR tests are at most locations but results will be emailed to you in 24 to 48 hours. My sister got PCR tested at a Local CVS and had the result the next morning in her email this was for going to Hawaii. Fewer locations do the rapid tests.

COVID-19 Testing and Locations | MinuteClinic (cvs.com)

it was more Walgreens than CVS but yes I did see it by location