It looks like Celebrity is now requiring negative COVID test before boarding

jcpc

8 minutes ago, runningtide said:

Celebrity has to clear something up. What does 72 hours before embarkation mean. First off, what is the embarkation time for a particular cruise. Is that departure, or the time you show up? The Airlines changed back to three days instead of 72 hours. They do not count your departure date. So if you leave on the 5th, your test frame would be the second, third, or forth. Simple. 

This is exactly my question. I got the email already for our September 4 Edge cruise. It leaves on a Saturday, so what day , what time do I need this test done?  September 1 after 6pm, or my noon arrival time or anytime that day ? 

Best of luck to those departing this weekend! I hope Celebrity is using common sense .

Edited by Smmessineo

32 minutes ago, lostchild said:

They can't expect for this to reach all the passengers in time, so they will likely provide testing at the port.   But the risk of testing positive "after traveling to the port" will probably be higher than testing before travel even if you are vaccinated.  

Seeing as the goal is to try and keep Covid positive people off the cruise that would actually be a good thing then. 

11 minutes ago, runningtide said:

Celebrity has to clear something up. What does 72 hours before embarkation mean. First off, what is the embarkation time for a particular cruise. Is that departure, or the time you show up? The Airlines changed back to three days instead of 72 hours. They do not count your departure date. So if you leave on the 5th, your test frame would be the second, third, or forth. Simple. 

"This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within 72 hours of embarkation."

My guess is if you have a 6:00pm departure on 8/8, the test has to be taken after 6:00pm  on 8/5. 

• Like 1

We got through to Celebrity - asked about Edge sailing on 7/31 and 8/7.  We were told no testing required ahead of time for 7/31 sailing but we would be tested between B2B sailings - as originally planned.  Granted, we were on hold off and on for an hour and talked to someone who is supposedly notating the discussion on our reservation.  The email for Equinox is different than the Edge email we got. 

Sorry for any confusion about thinking it was spam - the email screams phishing to me if you have been through any work email phishing training - so warning messages went off in my head.

Always best to confirm directly with the source - call Celebrity if you are unsure.

Hoping Shemar (sp?) on the phone today is right because they are going to have some unhappy passengers tomorrow who are already in FLL today for tomorrow and can't get tested if they tried - everywhere near our hotel is booked up with appointments - nothing is available that I could find - so we are going with the phone call.  

Happy sailing...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2XPCV said:

Just got the email too about testing at the port this weekend....does anyone know how they do the tests at the port?  Is it the long swab or the shorter swab?

Thanks!

I’m getting the feeling Celebrity is giving all of us the LONG swab……..(that’s a joke 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

We went through the testing procedures last spring flying home from Florida, west coast.  The  pre flight long test ( PCR?) ... at a walk in  place  next town over.was covered by Medicare but took a few days for results.

The  rapid test  would have cost abt  $85 at another  walk in.. Free gov administered tests were quite a distance away.  CvS would not take us b/c we were not Fla residents

Arriving in NY we had to take another test 3 days later,  that was  covered by ins at a pop up  walk in near the airport  but has since closed.

Here we go again! It adds another level if stress and planning...wonder if we should  just trust the ship administered test??? Any thoughts?

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

We went through the testing procedures last spring flying home from Florida, west coast.  The  pre flight long test ( PCR?) ... at a walk in  place  next town over.was covered by Medicare but took a few days for results.

The  rapid test  would have cost abt  $85 at another  walk in.. Free gov administered tests were quite a distance away.  CvS would not take us b/c we were not Fla residents

Arriving in NY we had to take another test 3 days later,  that was  covered by ins at a pop up  walk in near the airport  but has since closed.

Here we go again! It adds another level if stress and planning...wonder if we should  just trust the ship administered test??? Any thoughts?

Here’s my thought: I’m going to need several extra drinks once I get on board Sunday to forget about this.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cdcummings said:

Here’s my thought: I’m going to need several extra drinks once I get on board Sunday to forget about this.

You may have hit on something: Celebrity is driving its customers to drink excessive amounts to test the efficacy of the blood alcohol treatment to lower viral loads! Probably in cahoots with CDC researchers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For us, the issue is with the 4 tests that our kids would need to take.  Per our letter: 

Unvaccinated guests and children, under 12 years of age, will be required to take an additional antigen test at the terminal prior to embarkation, mid-cruise and on the day before disembarkation. 

I respect Celebrity's right to make this decision and fully believe that it's made in good faith.  And, my kids had agreed to getting the one test at the pier.  However, these tests are a huge source of anxiety for my boys, and getting 4 tests in 8 days is likely a show stopper.

I'm incredibly heart broken, but there's a good chance that we'll simply cancel due to this change.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, runningtide said:

I’m getting the feeling Celebrity is giving all of us the LONG swab……..(that’s a joke 🙂

Can't completely disagree with this......!

Guess a better way to phrase the question is does anyone know which test they use?  My wife has a few medical conditions, and any test that goes deep into her nose like a flu test triggers really severe migraines.

Celebrity Cruises

What You Need To Know

• All guests over the age of two, regardless of vaccination status will now be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test prior to boarding, for U.S. sailings departing August 6 through September 6, 2021.
  • This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within 72 hours of embarkation.  Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as all associated costs. 
  • Unvaccinated guests and children, under 12 years of age, will be required to take an additional antigen test at the terminal prior to embarkation, mid-cruise and on the day before disembarkation. A registration link for required testing will be emailed separately. 
  • Should a guest be unable to complete the testing requirements, a 100% refund or Future Cruise Credit will be offered. 
  • All Celebrity Cruises ships will sail with a vaccinated crew, and at least 95% of guests fully vaccinated.  Guests 12 years and older must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.
  • Details on all health and safety measures across the entire Celebrity Cruises fleet can be found at https://www.healthyatsea.com.  In addition, guests must follow all travel requirements for the destinations they will be visiting.  
  • Guests and Travel Partners with guests scheduled to sail aboard Celebrity Edge, Celebrity Equinox and Celebrity Millennium with sailings out of Fort Lauderdale and Seattle will receive a letter via email outlining all necessary requirements. Attached please find guest and travel partner communications approved for immediate send to guests on August 6 through September 6, 2021 sailings only.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got an email about the July 31 Edge sailing saying that they would be administering free tests for all passengers at the terminal, but that pax who wish to speed up the process can get tested on their own and bring the results.

6 minutes ago, Jeremiah On a Cruise said:

For us, the issue is with the 4 tests that our kids would need to take.  Per our letter: 

Unvaccinated guests and children, under 12 years of age, will be required to take an additional antigen test at the terminal prior to embarkation, mid-cruise and on the day before disembarkation. 

I respect Celebrity's right to make this decision and fully believe that it's made in good faith.  And, my kids had agreed to getting the one test at the pier.  However, these tests are a huge source of anxiety for my boys, and getting 4 tests in 8 days is likely a show stopper.

I'm incredibly heart broken, but there's a good chance that we'll simply cancel due to this change.

We have the same issue, subjecting young children to 4 tests for a 7 day cruise is just cruel.

3 minutes ago, mgmigs said:

We have the same issue, subjecting young children to 4 tests for a 7 day cruise is just cruel.

They are giving you the option for full refund:

Should a guest be unable to complete the testing requirements, a 100% refund or Future Cruise Credit will be offered.

• Like 1

For cruisers on the Edge for July 31st, vaxed or not, you are getting the antigen test before being allowed to board.  Just got the email ½ hour ago.

Oh... and if you are positive they will refund your money 100%.  How generous.  What about the flights and hotel to get here?

I noted all the folks who hung in there trying to talk to Celebrity on the phone but were given wrong information. Thank you for your efforts to try to get answers.

This will be my first and last Celebrity cruise (ha... if I get to cruise at all)!

Edited by imtired1959
Spelling

We just got our email 1 hour ago for our 8/1/21 sailing on Equinox. Either a free test at port and wait 30 minutes. Or bring a test  result in 48hrs or less to save time at terminal. Made appt for rapid test tomorrow in anticipation of long lines, at nearby testing facility at additional $$. Was able to get to change to a noon boarding time. "Best laid plans of mice and men".......

I think Celebrity are doing the right thing in these uncertain times.

COVID isn’t their fault. Passengers have a simple choice. Get the vaccination or acknowledged their inaction has consequences.

We all have to live with this virus and cruise life  has to adapt with it.

Celebrity deserve a break. Just saying’

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1