Live from the Majestic Princess at last! August 1 2021 to Alaska

pkt1976

1 minute ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@CruiseChick33thanks for the menu and pics of CT. Fabrizio and Neville definitely have some pent up ideas. Those are really amazing!  Idk how they do it. Neville told us he hosted CT like affairs at home during the pause as he missed them so much. 

That is awesome!! We really enjoyed it! You can definitely tell those two have fun at their jobs! They had us laughing so hard! The pastry chef also did not want to be outdone by those two so he made this, just for fun for the dinner!!

20210805_211805.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

Several of us on our Roll Call remember an Alaskan cruise where they put blankets in every room to use on the balcony or glacier day rather than the usual beach towel.  Did they do that for this August 1 cruise? Trying to decide whether to bring a down throw with me.

Last time we went, we snagged a couple of blankets out of the supply for MUTS and just hung onto them for the duration of the cruise.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

Several of us on our Roll Call remember an Alaskan cruise where they put blankets in every room to use on the balcony or glacier day rather than the usual beach towel.  Did they do that for this August 1 cruise? Trying to decide whether to bring a down throw with me.

They gave us a blanket on each chair outside but I'm not sure if it is a suite thing or not. Also, the blanket is super thin and not something that would really keep me warm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiseChick33 said:

Yes. The Chefs Table the night before was also different. They change the menu every single time.

I've been to three Chef's Table on three different ships with three different chefs over a span of three years--and I they all served the same main course (trio of beef, pork, and veal tenderloin served flambeed on a medieval style wrought iron rack). The other courses were different. And each time I enjoyed it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CruiseChick33 said:

I'm a petite woman with a smaller appetite, and I was able to eat most of it.

15 minutes ago, CruiseChick33 said:

Thank you! We have never done the WM so we are extremely excited about it!!!

With your smaller appetite you should be plenty full…we try to limit our intake of the filling gnocchi course. ☺️

43 minutes ago, CruiseChick33 said:

They actually lowered the amount of food on this one compared to my last Chefs Table. It was by far focused on depth of flavor, and creativity, rather than large portions. I'm a petite woman with a smaller appetite, and I was able to eat most of it.

Even though we won't be participating it's great to hear that they have done this. It must be hard on the chef to see so much of his meal end up in the trash so this different approach should help with that.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 8:07 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I’m surprised to hear that about the cabanas. I hope you get one for glacier Bay, good luck!.

I always have at least one or three Key West Coolers a day 🤣.  I also like sweet drinks and I don’t drink alcohol that often but when I do it’s usually Malibu Rum and Coke.

Looking forward to your photos, thank you.  

You and your partner have a great cruise!

Question to mocktail people. I drink little alcohol…maybe wine at dinner, but I have the plus package for lots of great coffees and mocktail s. However, I find the drinks VERY sweet, and would rather eat my calories!  Do they h@ve any skinny syrups available for , say, diabetic cruisers,  or have you a asked 

5 minutes ago, muffin said:

Question to mocktail people. I drink little alcohol…maybe wine at dinner, but I have the plus package for lots of great coffees and mocktail s. However, I find the drinks VERY sweet, and would rather eat my calories!  Do they h@ve any skinny syrups available for , say, diabetic cruisers,  or have you a asked 

You can always ask the bartender to make your drink less sweet. They can easily cut down on the simple syrup or the mixer. They will gladly make you a great tasting drink that is less sweet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Having read so many stories where folks no longer ask for the canapes due to getting stuff they described as "nasty" I'm surprised to be reading that folks here have requested the canapes. Now if one had a choice and could get the strawberries every time I would definitely be interested.

I would describe the canapes as "horrible", "stale", not worth the calories.

BTW: they aren't requesting them on the first 2 cruises...they're just showing up.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

Bring it! On our Alaska cruise a couple of years ago, they ran out of blankets and it was COLD.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, muffin said:

Maybe a Virgin Bloody Mary?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I would describe the canapes as "horrible", "stale", not worth the calories.

BTW: they aren't requesting them on the first 2 cruises...they're just showing up.

Ugghhh, yes! We had to call and ask them to please stop sending them! The bread was gross.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

With your smaller appetite you should be plenty full…we try to limit our intake of the filling gnocchi course. ☺️

Wine Makers dinner, Gnocchi was served. It was so rich. Unfortunately I threw it up a few minutes after consuming it. Thanks to my napkin and my husband's, no one seemed to notice. Next time we did the dinner, I passed on eating it.

1 minute ago, san diego sue said:

Wine Makers dinner, Gnocchi was served. It was so rich. Unfortunately I threw it up a few minutes after consuming it. Thanks to my napkin and my husband's, no one seemed to notice. Next time we did the dinner, I passed on eating it.

When I looked on Cruise Personalizer, it states that the Winemakers Dinner is only on the Sapphire Princess. Is that incorrect?

3 hours ago, CruiseChick33 said:

Juneau was deck 6. I don't remember if they had 2 going or not. We went into town later than everyone else.

Thanks for sharing your favourite places in Ketchikan. You found one of my haunts. Tongass Trading 2nd floor - with everything one could imagine for outdoor living. Can't wait to get back to Alaska. Looking forward to hearing /seeing your WM pics later. ENjoy every moment, every mouthful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

Thanks for sharing your favourite places in Ketchikan. You found one of my haunts. Tongass Trading 2nd floor - with everything one could imagine for outdoor living. Can't wait to get back to Alaska. Looking forward to hearing /seeing your WM pics later. ENjoy every moment, every mouthful.

A few years ago our niece and her family lived on an island about an hour boat ride out of Ketchikan. They shopped at the Tongass Trading post whenever they came into town to get supplies. She still talks about how she loved looking around on the 2nd floor. The first floor is for the tourists, lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eaglecw said:

A few years ago our niece and her family lived on an island about an hour boat ride out of Ketchikan. They shopped at the Tongass Trading post whenever they came into town to get supplies. She still talks about how she loved looking around on the 2nd floor. The first floor is for the tourists, lol.

Secret is out now! There are coupons in the coupon book - used to be - for merino wool work socks. I used to stock up! And smart wool socks, and sport shoes. I could go on and on. Life is good brand too. Love to shop at the local stores. We need to spend our tourist dollars in these lovely little towns when we travel. Fun!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

Mary Ann, ask your room steward for an extra blanket. When I asked our cabin steward he pulled one out from under the bed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CruiseChick33 said:

For those of you that are on the cruise up here next week, pack rain gear!!

Screenshot_20210806-143931_The Weather Channel.jpg

I was looking at the weather report the other day, thinking I hope it's not like that when we go the week of August 22nd. It's supposed to start getting hot in Seattle next week, in the 90's by weeks end. When it's nice in Seattle the weather is usually terrible in Southeast Alaska.

Edited by Eaglecw

44 minutes ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

I love that place! Last time we were there, we found a perfect pair of new hiking boots for my hard-to-fit DH. Wonderful surprise, that.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CruiseChick33 said:

For those of you that are on the cruise up here next week, pack rain gear!!

Screenshot_20210806-143931_The Weather Channel.jpg

Yes I caught that!  Rain has always been in the forecast for all of our previous Alaska cruises.  Sometimes it materializes, sometimes it doesn't.  But I've never seen a warning like that before.  Already have raingear and an umbrella packed.  We fly to Seattle in the AM!  Enjoy your last couple of days on the ship.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, grandsmack said:

I would like for someone on board to post a copy of the regular dinner menu for tonight (Friday) and tomorrow.  Neither of these were posted on the July 25 live from thread.  Thank you for all information each of you has contributed to this new season of cruising in Alaska.  Kathy 

Tonight's dinner is the chef's favorites

Screenshot_20210806-152755_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210806-152806_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210806-152812_Chrome.jpg

• Like 5