Mardi Gras 1st thoughts

jimbo5544

18 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

More Loft 19

AFAE9044-754D-48B5-B85E-C409A8203FC7.jpeg

My first thought when I saw this picture was those bolster pillows are going to get kind of grody by the end of the day with everybody sweating on them.  Not very sanitary.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

My first thought when I saw this picture was those bolster pillows are going to get kind of grody by the end of the day with everybody sweating on them.  Not very sanitary.

Fair point

51 minutes ago, CruisingFromLA said:

I wonder if they're going to keep Backyard Band in the Pig & Anchor for the whole sailing. They appeared to be a good high energy group, but that venue just doesn't seem (to me) well suited to sit and enjoy a set or two given the seating (unless they change something in the evening?).

Tom

3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Yup.  My thoughts exactly especially judging from the way lounger cushions and pillows look after they’ve be there for months.  I wonder how often they wash these🤔

Also, these lounger cushions look pretty thin.  We’ll see how they are in 6 months when I try it out.  

If it’s not too grody, that is.  🙂

Thanks so much for bringing us along, glad you are enjoying yourself!  We are booked in a forward facing balcony (8L) in december, if you happen to hear any comments from anyone on that type cabin, good or bad, please post if you get a chance.  Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, audcc77 said:

Yup.  My thoughts exactly especially judging from the way lounger cushions and pillows look after they’ve be there for months.  I wonder how often they wash these🤔

Also, these lounger cushions look pretty thin.  We’ll see how they are in 6 months when I try it out.  

If it’s not too grody, that is.  🙂

I've read that one of the reasons that they no longer have tablecloths in the MDR is due to Covid (I won't debate the merits of that). If that was a real concern, then I think the cloth loungers and pillows that many many people will be laying and sweating on would be a concern as well.

Back to the tablecloths, I think it's probably that basic/core reason for their departure: expense. Not only the cost of linens themselves, but the manpower involved it placing and removing them as well as laundering it all. It's certainly "greener" not having them. Still, that does not mean that I don't really miss them!  Glad they're at least (for the time being) in Rudi's !!   🙂

Tom

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, coscab said:

Tom, do you think Pink Floyd are playing on the ship?  LOL

After hearing Backyard Band blast out some Santana (courtesy of JH), I'd bet that they'll have something to play from Pink Floyd! If not, then certainly some Led Zeppelin or Aerosmith (brings me back to so many evenings enjoying the Filipino "Music" bands on Carnival). Always trying to catch/relive a little of the past !!

Tom

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Can someone onboard post a pic of the price list for the package shop please ( if they can)?  Hubbs and I will be on the MG i Jan.  Son is wanting a good single malt scotch.  Thinking about getting him a bottle or 2 with all the OBC we have.  I know it's subjective, but would like him to look at the list and tell us which ones to get.  If ya'll can't Still have a great time!

18 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I've just never been one to pay a premium to sail a new ship.  I sail solo and since I get the privilege of paying 200% to sail, I stick with what I can afford so that I can sail more often.

I'm booked on a quasi B2B on NCL Bliss in spring 2023.  She's not quite as large as MG but, to me, is larger than I like.  But I'll have lots and lots of sea days so explore, which is the only reason I ended up booking her.

I do think Carnival might have considered joining the trend to include some solo cabins on this class.  I have one on Bliss. 

Just going to make one OT post here and then we can get back to MG. I noticed this week Carnival has had some deals trying to get solos into the upper/ lower rooms Aug-Oct. $300 for Breeze 5dy, $420 for Dream 6dy, $479 Panorama 7dy, $499 Dream 8 dy. I booked the Panorama for $479. $603 after taxes and port fees.

• Like 2

thank you Jimbo5544!!!   you have taken me on another fantastic cruise ship!  

i probably will never get on the MartiGra my husband doesn't want to fly so unless it comes to Galveston i will never get on it 😪

so thanks again for bringing me along!!!

many hugs from texas

nicki

4 hours ago, coscab said:

Thanks so much for bringing us along, glad you are enjoying yourself!  We are booked in a forward facing balcony (8L) in december, if you happen to hear any comments from anyone on that type cabin, good or bad, please post if you get a chance.  Thanks in advance.

Saw on one of JH's video that they have a wind buffer set up on the forward facing balconies that are in the middle.

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

After hearing Backyard Band blast out some Santana (courtesy of JH), I'd bet that they'll have something to play from Pink Floyd! If not, then certainly some Led Zeppelin or Aerosmith (brings me back to so many evenings enjoying the Filipino "Music" bands on Carnival). Always trying to catch/relive a little of the past !!

Tom

On one of the YouTube videos from Friday by Paradeejay, they had a drink at the jazz place in the French Corner (Brass Magnolia?).  The 3 piece combo was playing and they requested some jazzy Metallica and it was fulfilled.  The Brass Magnolia and Fortune Teller bars look really nice and will give Alchemy a run for upscale cocktails.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, princess76021 said:

thank you Jimbo5544!!!   you have taken me on another fantastic cruise ship!  

i probably will never get on the MartiGra my husband doesn't want to fly so unless it comes to Galveston i will never get on it 😪

so thanks again for bringing me along!!!

many hugs from texas

nicki

Don't fret.  Once the third Excel Class ship comes out, Galveston should get it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Just going to make one OT post here and then we can get back to MG. I noticed this week Carnival has had some deals trying to get solos into the upper/ lower rooms Aug-Oct. $300 for Breeze 5dy, $420 for Dream 6dy, $479 Panorama 7dy, $499 Dream 8 dy. I booked the Panorama for $479. $603 after taxes and port fees.

That is awesome. Are they doing anything to publicize this or were you just randomly sleuthing and figured it out? Seems they should be doing promotions to compete with the dedicated single options on other lines. 

Just now, KmomChicago said:

That is awesome. Are they doing anything to publicize this or were you just randomly sleuthing and figured it out? Seems they should be doing promotions to compete with the dedicated single options on other lines. 

I just remembered I had seen a deal like that on vista last month that was going to be my backup in case Mardi Gras got delayed. So I just did a basic carnival search for 1 traveler Aug-oct and they were there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I know the Celebration has her TA in November of 2022.  Are you saying that the third Excel Class ship will be debuting in late 2023?  Have you heard of any tentative dates?

It hasn't been announced yet. Vista bookings out of Galveston are only open through October 2023, which may or may not mean anything. My guess is that the soon-to-be-former Costa Magica begins her Carnival career in Galveston to replace Radiance, who is now headed to Long Beach. The third Excel ship replaces Vista in Galveston, and Vista goes to Fort Lauderdale or New Orleans.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 5:49 AM, CruisingFromLA said:

Thank you so much for posting these. Thrilled to see nighttime entertainment in the aft theatre, the midship atrium AND the Punchliner all happening on the same nights.  Seems like on some other ships there are nights when there's really only one big draw available so this is stepping up the game. Always love to see a lot of live music going on in bars as well.  Please continue and hope you had fun on the first Sea Day!

22 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I've read that one of the reasons that they no longer have tablecloths in the MDR is due to Covid (I won't debate the merits of that). If that was a real concern, then I think the cloth loungers and pillows that many many people will be laying and sweating on would be a concern as well.

Back to the tablecloths, I think it's probably that basic/core reason for their departure: expense. Not only the cost of linens themselves, but the manpower involved it placing and removing them as well as laundering it all. It's certainly "greener" not having them. Still, that does not mean that I don't really miss them!  Glad they're at least (for the time being) in Rudi's !!   🙂

Tom

Actually, they removed the table cloths long before Covid hit.  I don't remember exactly when but our two cruises on the Horizon and Paradise in 2017 the only time they had table cloths was on Cruise Elegant night.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

Actually, they removed the table cloths long before Covid hit.  I don't remember exactly when but our two cruises on the Horizon and Paradise in 2017 the only time they had table cloths was on Cruise Elegant night.

Thanks for that clarification !  🙂

Tom

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

Yes, I remember discussions on CC about the removal of tablecloths long before covid.

6 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Yes, I remember discussions on CC about the removal of tablecloths long before covid.

And I know that they've been disappearing from the Steakhouse for years as well (I'll ALWAYS miss the Supper Clubs).

This is from 2013!!

IMG_20130329_184826-XL.jpg

I didn't want to miss Prime Rib Night in the MDR, so they brought one up! (Good for their food costs too 🙂  )

Tom

• Like 1