Equinox Aug 1, embarkation

cangelmd

I’m almost afraid to start this thread! I am only going to report facts that I see, staying away from speculation. We are here in an FLL hotel waiting to check out.

Last night about 11 pm we received an email from Celebrity thru the mass mailer, asking us to sign up for a testing time beginning at 9 am, in one hour increments. We signed up for 10-11, our boarding time is noon. We also were fortunate enough to get PCR tested on Friday before we flew out. The email said if you had been tested with 48 you did not need retest- but no instructions about how to present your results.

Then, about 15 minutes ago, we got another email, almost identical to last night’s, including the QR code to access sign up, that stated antigen testing is optional for vaccinated passengers.

I would not trust this beyond today’s Equinox sailing, but if you are departing today - check your emails.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I’m not the best copy and paste, but here is our second email from this am.
ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Celebrity Equinox® for your 7-Night Caribbean sailing from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Before we depart, we would like to provide an update regarding today’s embarkation process.  

Pre-cruise testing in the terminal today will be optional for vaccinated guests and required for unvaccinated guests. This will be a complimentary rapid test and results will be available within 30 minutes. It is important to note, each guest taking the antigen test must register individually using the QR code below.  Preregistration will facilitate a smooth testing process for all at the pier.

Additionally, as a reminder, all unvaccinated guests, under 12 years of age must arrive at the terminal with a negative COVID-19 test result. This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within the past three days.   

Please be sure and arrive at Terminal 25 in Port Everglades at your selected appointment time. Should you receive a positive test result or be unable to complete the testing requirements, a 100% refund or Future Cruise Credit will be offered.  

Thank you for your patience and understanding. The health and safety of everyone onboard is our number one priority. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. We look forward to providing you an amazing Celebrity Cruises vacation.

Sincerely, 

Celebrity Cruises

RTFImage_61069d6cceb36c3bae319bcb.JPG

©2021 Celebrity Cruises. Ships' Registry: Malta

Celebrity Cruises
1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132
1-800-280-3423

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

I wonder how many people who have been vaccinated, and have their vaccination documents in hand, would opt to be tested?  Unless I was exhibiting symptoms, I don't think I would choose to be tested.

Good question, we signed up because of email #1, and the lack of detail about how to present our results from Friday, but current plan is to go a little earlier than our original plan from way back before Friday. And we are not going to our appointment time - I don’t think they will miss us and we also have PCR results.

Our boarding is noon, and we were going to try to be there at the port between 11:30 and quarter of 12., which is what we’ve done pre-Covid. Now with the chaos, we will try to get there about 11:15.

We are in a suite.

Edited by cangelmd
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I’m almost afraid to start this thread! I am only going to report facts that I see, staying away from speculation. We are here in an FLL hotel waiting to check out.

Last night about 11 pm we received an email from Celebrity thru the mass mailer, asking us to sign up for a testing time beginning at 9 am, in one hour increments. We signed up for 10-11, our boarding time is noon. We also were fortunate enough to get PCR tested on Friday before we flew out. The email said if you had been tested with 48 you did not need retest- but no instructions about how to present your results.

Then, about 15 minutes ago, we got another email, almost identical to last night’s, including the QR code to access sign up, that stated antigen testing is optional for vaccinated passengers.

I would not trust this beyond today’s Equinox sailing, but if you are departing today - check your emails.

You're almost at the "End"! One more "mogul", maybe, and you're on your way!! Have a great cruise!!! 😎

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

I wonder how many people who have been vaccinated, and have their vaccination documents in hand, would opt to be tested?  Unless I was exhibiting symptoms, I don't think I would choose to be tested.

I would and have already made an appointment.   The test is no big deal.   I've had 3 and they took less than 5 minutes. 

I guess the decision is whether you want to go on the cruise or cancel over not wanting to be tested.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would and have already made an appointment.   The test is no big deal.   I've had 3 and they took less than 5 minutes. 

I guess the decision is whether you want to go on the cruise or cancel over not wanting to be tested.

Are you suggesting that pre testing is not good enough?

6 minutes ago, katrina915 said:

If vaccinated, you may or may not be required to have covid test. Did I read your commentary correctly?

Let me be very clear - I think this is for our sailing ONLY, because of the debacle yesterday. If you are on any other sailing, or leaving from any other port, follow the guidance you get from Celebrity.

if you are sailing next week and they have said bring your test results, I would schedule and get my test results to bring,

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The problem is a simple one.  People do not follow directions and show up well before or well after their assigned embarkation times.  Causes massive delays and confusion, not to mention the added threat of mingling closely with others during the pandemic.  Please follow directions and be courteous of others.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, NaplesKnitter said:

We appreciate all your reports today. If possible,When you arrive, could you explain if there is a separate or marked entrance for those with negative COVID tests vs the regular check in line?

we are also boarding today with a check in at noon.

I will try, but may not be able to help you, sounds like you will be there about when I am.

Did you get all those emails, I hope?

13 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You're almost at the "End"! One more "mogul", maybe, and you're on your way!! Have a great cruise!!! 😎

Yes, yes! 
Bon voyage to you as well, sad we aren’t crossing paths.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would not cancel because of the testing requirement.  My point was if the test was optional, which may be the case based on the original post, I'm not sure I would want it.  But, I may have misread the original post.  Wouldn't be the first time. 🙂

Didn't take long for Celebrity management to figure out yesterday was an expensive nightmare that cost over $150,000 in OBC that they do not want to repeat today. Have a great cruise, we board Equinox in 26 days.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

The test is no big deal.  Everyone had to be tested to board the Apex in Greece.  Yes, I know this is not Greece.  Testing is just a way to ensure that the cruise sails as safely as possible.  Why would anyone object to a simple test to help keep everyone safe?    I do not understand why anyone would balk at the testing requirement.  Yes, I've been vaccinated, yes, I have my docs in hand, and yes, I would take a test if it meant I could cruise, and help to make it safer for everyone.   

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Are you suggesting that pre testing is not good enough?

No I am saying that the protocol has been put in place and I will follow if I wish to cruise.   Cruises are currently at 95% vaxed and I would love to see them at 100%.

I am Vaxed and believe in it.    If they wish to have a pre-test  and even a test during the cruise to filter out breakthrough cases,  I'm OK. 

I will not be getting into a Vax or No Vax discussion.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dreams_of_travel said:

The test is no big deal.  Everyone had to be tested to board the Apex in Greece.  Yes, I know this is not Greece.  Testing is just a way to ensure that the cruise sails as safely as possible.  Why would anyone object to a simple test to help keep everyone safe?    I do not understand why anyone would balk at the testing requirement.  Yes, I've been vaccinated, yes, I have my docs in hand, and yes, I would take a test if it meant I could cruise, and help to make it safer for everyone.   

I think you may misunderstand his point. As of this morning, for this sailing, the test is optional, would you take it. I don’t think he means going forward.

No, we aren’t getting the now optional test, but we got tested on Friday, based on what we were originally told, in hopes of smoother boarding today.

I have no objections as a passenger to testing. As someone who oversees a clinical lab for a living, I have said throughout the pandemic, people are asking these tests to do things and perform in ways that they were never designed to do. At least now we know a lot more about the natural history of the virus and can interpret the test results a little more confidently. All that though is NOT a discussion for here.

Edited by cangelmd
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, dreams_of_travel said:

I agree and feel the same way it is no big deal, if you have enough advance notification. What happened yesterday while trying to board the Edge was inexcusable on Celebrity's part and they know it, hence the $200OBC credit for all cabins.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

I would not cancel because of the testing requirement.  My point was if the test was optional, which may be the case based on the original post, I'm not sure I would want it.  But, I may have misread the original post.  Wouldn't be the first time. 🙂

I'm the same.     I believe the recent e-mails may be only for the current cruises this weekend who did not have time to plan for this.     I have not received anything new for my 9/5 cruise than the original saying I would have to have a test 72 hours in advance saying it was optional.

• Like 1

I think what someone meant was if you have already had a test in the time window for this sailing would you want/need to sign up for another at the port.  I would not as it would take up my time and delay boarding in general for others.  I know this sailing is under protocols that won’t be in place in the future…it would be nice if at the terminal there were signs for those that already have test results and those needing a test today.

• Like 3