Onboard Mardi Gras Now & they are having some challenges

Oldsweets

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Well - good luck, at least, on your Steakhouse evening!  🙂

Tom

Thanks, I won't let anything like a sub par meal ruin my experience, but I have to admit I am sort of now seeing this more as a "we need to just go ahead and go through with our commitment" sort of plan rather than the excited anticipation I had when I booked it.

Worst case it will give my dad a story to tell for years to come. I can just hear it. . . what was the point of paying an upcharge for THAT? It was no better than the FREE dining room!

• Haha 2

When we dined in the MDR, we'd often let our server know that we'd prefer to be out before the dancing started. I never cared much for having to put on my "oh, that's nice" face when the parade and festivities began!

Tom

• Like 2

Hopefully they can still manage Sea Day brunch. 

Frankly this Cucina and Chibang! for free at suppertime sounds like a really dumb plan. Even if it was worth a try, it obviously is not working like, AT ALL. 

$15 is not that much of an upcharge to help keep the crowds reasonable. Clearly there is nothing elevated about either experience right now, and I think it's even more ridiculous to include the regular dining room menu.  Between being included in the regular fare, and also including the same old regular dining room menu, neither of these locations is really a specialty restaurant at all anyway.  They are defeating the whole purpose. 

Obviously confusing and overly complicated for the servers who would all be learning a new process anyway, on a new ship, just to manage the signature atmosphere of the venue. Sounds chaotic and overwhelming for the guests too. 

Still, glad to know all this, and also about the overcrowded entertainment, like Punchliner, so we can plan accordingly.  Of course this one is funny (pun intended) because literally EVERY Punchliner on literally EVERY Carnival ship is too small to handle the crowds, so how were the designers to anticipate such a thing and maybe, I dunno, build a bigger one on this ship? Or here's an idea. What about using the main theatre for more stuff, including the comedians? What about afternoon shows on sea days?

• Like 6

On 8/2/2021 at 12:15 PM, HillBilly Bob said:

With all the current electronic technology aboard the ships, I am stunned that the servers don't have a iPad order taker pads  to send their orders to the closest bar.   The MDR waitstaff were still using little note pads with pencil to write down orders a year ago. 

If you want a cocktail at dinner, you need to wait until the "drink waitperson" comes around....if you ever get to see one.  They are in abundance after dinner selling "shots".   Using current pads, they could take a drink order, send your appetizer order to the kitchen and send your entrée to the main kitchen line.  Desserts could also be ordered and timed to be delivered at the proper time.   

Really. We have never had a problem with any waiter or waitress using an old fashioned order pad and pen.  

We did once encounter a waitress with one of those new fangled i-pads instead. It was on our anniversary in 2019. We like to eat by water (easy when we are on a cruise ship at the time). We were eating at a restaurant with a deck by a stream. Our waitress took our order, brought our salads, and then we waited and waited and waited and waited. I finally got up and noticed that there were now lots and lots of people in the main portion of the restaurant who came after us and were now eating while we still waited. I complained and we were about to leave, when a manager came and profusely apologized. The restaurant had become busy including a very large party, and our waitress had not hit send or whatever she was supposed to do to place our order. We were promised the food soon, and did eventually get it just before I was about to have us walk out. 

The meal was eventually comped, but even at that price was not worth the wait. And I tipped the waitress a % of the zero cost of the meal. And that was more than her service or the stupid i-pad instead of pen and paper was worth.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, helene109 said:

Hi!

Did they do the preboard photo? If so with or without masks or was it done once you are on the ship? Thanks!

Your question reminds me of the TSA screening at airports. Everyone is required to wear a mask, but your picture id obviously does not have you masked. You are told to pull down your mask.

I'm wondering if people are wearing masks to get off the ship because a port requires a mask, how are they going to check your picture that comes up against your masked face.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

We don't want to spend a long time on dinner.  We are usually out watching multiple shows or enjoying live music.  Spending 1 1/2 to 2 hours on dinner isn't something we enjoy when there are other things to do.  We can go out to eat on land and have long meals.  I know that many people love the long meals as part of their cruising experience.

Reminds me of my DW who does not want to spend a lot of time at dinner. She says she gets tired of people serving her. (I don't plead guilty to that one.) And would rather just serve herself a salad and a small main course at the buffet.

On our very first cruise, a Western Mediterranean back in 2002, by the end of the cruise she said, "I just miss peanut butter and jelly."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kdr69 said:

I did not know you were on that cruise too?  Too bad i would have bought a round and said hi!

We probably passed each other on the deck a time or two!  It was a great cruise and I thought the service was very good.  We had a lot of fun on the Rhythm of the Nights excursion. Cheers! 🥂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

That decision gives Carnival a major black eye, in my opinion.   Why would they deny children, who can't get vaccinated and allow adults who willingly said no to getting the jab?  And I don't want to hear the BS excuse about religious or medical reasons.  Those people can stay home as far as I am concerned until this thing is in our rear view mirror.

Edit...Carnival calls themselves a family cruise line and it's not right to deny children with their prospective families and allow adults who willingly refused the jab.

Well, medical reasons for vaccine exemptions are not quite BS. They should be taking extra precautions at this time and maybe shouldn't even be on a cruise, but individuals have the right to make that choice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Thanks, I won't let anything like a sub par meal ruin my experience, but I have to admit I am sort of now seeing this more as a "we need to just go ahead and go through with our commitment" sort of plan rather than the excited anticipation I had when I booked it.

Worst case it will give my dad a story to tell for years to come. I can just hear it. . . what was the point of paying an upcharge for THAT? It was no better than the FREE dining room!

I understand you wanting to go with the grab and go options on board.  You are comfortable with those and with a new ship and the challenges they are having it might be the smartest way to go.  We love grab and go, too.  We totally gave up on the MDR a couple of cruises ago.  Prior to that we had only gone in the MDR a night or maybe 2 for years.  The food and service is not as good as it used to be.  However, the pay restaurants have been mostly fantastic and that is where we go on non grab and go nights.  The steakhouse meal will be many levels higher in food quality and service than what you experience in the MDR.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Hopefully they can still manage Sea Day brunch. 

Frankly this Cucina and Chibang! for free at suppertime sounds like a really dumb plan. Even if it was worth a try, it obviously is not working like, AT ALL. 

$15 is not that much of an upcharge to help keep the crowds reasonable. Clearly there is nothing elevated about either experience right now, and I think it's even more ridiculous to include the regular dining room menu.  Between being included in the regular fare, and also including the same old regular dining room menu, neither of these locations is really a specialty restaurant at all anyway.  They are defeating the whole purpose. 

This is almost ironic to hear. As countless people, for years, fought against upcharges/"nickel and diming", wanted more dinner options, and touted that AIs have this and cruises don't. Now we're ready to call it dumb after it being a brand new concept, a week out of shutdown, on a new ship. I do think it will end up being a charge. But who knows. Maybe they are testing to see how it works out. Poor execution for sure. Bravo for trying new things and keeping the brand fresh.

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Obviously confusing and overly complicated for the servers who would all be learning a new process anyway, on a new ship, just to manage the signature atmosphere of the venue. Sounds chaotic and overwhelming for the guests too. 

Still, glad to know all this, and also about the overcrowded entertainment, like Punchliner, so we can plan accordingly.  Of course this one is funny (pun intended) because literally EVERY Punchliner on literally EVERY Carnival ship is too small to handle the crowds, so how were the designers to anticipate such a thing and maybe, I dunno, build a bigger one on this ship? Or here's an idea. What about using the main theatre for more stuff, including the comedians? What about afternoon shows on sea days?

I was super-excited watching all of the videos touring the ship. When I saw Punchliner, that was easily the most upsetting thing I've seen. It didn't look any bigger than previous Punchliners, which were already too small, for far smaller ships. This is going to need two different times for each show to work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kdr69 said:

True i just note that they were announcing cases on the Celebrity Edge and was wondering if that was happening on Mardi Gras or the other Carnival Ships that had sailed.

No announcements on our Horizon cruise July 10 to 18. But they closed all of the duty free shops the last sea day, which was very odd and attributed to the shop workers "not feeling well" by several crew members.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

This is almost ironic to hear. As countless people, for years, fought against upcharges/"nickel and diming", wanted more dinner options, and touted that AIs have this and cruises don't. Now we're ready to call it dumb after it being a brand new concept, a week out of shutdown, on a new ship. I do think it will end up being a charge. But who knows. Maybe they are testing to see how it works out. Poor execution for sure. Bravo for trying new things and keeping the brand fresh.

I, one Kmom, did not complain about nickel and diming. I prefer being able to pay a la carte for extra stuff - if we want it - but not pay for it via the base fare - if we don't. I am aware of AI resorts as well as more upscale cruises that include a bunch more stuff, and I mindfully do not choose those because that is not what I want. 

But I'm a real weirdo and always have been.  I usually have no interest in upcharge food, but I think it's fine that it's offered. For this trip I decided to go hog wild. I budgeted to do the upcharges, thought I won the jackpot with the "free" announcement, and now don't plan to do any paid dinners except steakhouse which I already prebooked and paid.  Because we are not going to spend that many hours per night just sitting around in noisy dining rooms waiting an hour between courses. 

And honestly I don't fault the line for trying. I get it. I know they meant well. And I know they are all new crew on an all new boat with all new equipment, etc. etc. I'm just simply not going to participate in anything that is overcrowded and logjammed if I don't have to. I will keep an eye on lunches and perhaps try them out that way. 

14 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I was super-excited watching all of the videos touring the ship. When I saw Punchliner, that was easily the most upsetting thing I've seen. It didn't look any bigger than previous Punchliners, which were already too small, for far smaller ships. This is going to need two different times for each show to work.

Still excited. It looks like the comedians are repeating the same shows several times over so perhaps I don't try to see everything on the first 2 nights and wait for the hoopla to die down a bit.  Also with today's exciting mask announcement, we may have MASS cancellations, leading to even less crowding in the first place!

Sometimes life is a big experiment and I am okay with that, to a point.

1 minute ago, KmomChicago said:

Oh yeah. People are asking him if they can cancel without penalty. He says no, but others are reporting different after getting through via phone.

I wonder if people are getting inconsistent answers when they call depending on which representative answers. That would not surprise me. (that is of course if they can even get through on the phone.)

7 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Is John getting bombarded over the new protocols yet?  

He seemed to think whomever made a frowing face wasnt a real cruiser and dismissed it. He only accepts smiley faces.  I'm not smiling. Dang. Sure takes away from the anticipation. Turns out a friend is on first leg of breeze who just made his final payment and then wham. 

• Like 1

So just as an FYI, all Carnival ships currently sailing revenue cruises are yellow status on CDC. Same with Princess and Holland America (one ship each). Same with Celebrity (3 ships). Same with most ships, really. Not all. A couple are green. Several are orange with only crew onboard. So keeping the ships Covid free is not going great, even with all the vaxxing.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

2 hours ago, lazydayz said:

No announcements on our Horizon cruise July 10 to 18. But they closed all of the duty free shops the last sea day, which was very odd and attributed to the shop workers "not feeling well" by several crew members.  

Nor should there have been. The shop workers tested negative.

22 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Nor should there have been. The shop workers tested negative.

Too bad they didn't know that.  It sure cost them a lost of money to close those shops on a prime shopping day.  

Let's focus on the positive. We're not cancelling. We're still cruising, and Brass Magnolia is an awesome and underutilized bar. Keep picking up those tips from the vloggers on this week. 

We all wore masks for a year and didn't get to go nowhere on no kind of vacation or nothin'!  

Get on board a ship, help bring the world back in to the new normal. It's still a cruise!

Just now, lazydayz said:

Too bad they didn't know that.  It sure cost them a lost of money to close those shops on a prime shopping day.  

Not only that but there were a lot of people at guest services because they had OBC left that they had planned to spend in the shops on the last sea day.

• Like 2

On the Punchliner, I haven't been on a cruise where certain shows weren't repeated.  The Comedians typically have 2 - 3 adult shows plus a PG show and a if you see them 3 nights in a row, at least one of the shows will be a repeat.  Typically, comedians will change ships mid cruise in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, San Juan or another port.

I also had a long discussion (at a bar) with one of the Comedians on one of our cruises.  One of the reasons that the Punchliners is generally small is that the comedians do not like to play to large rooms.  He refused to sign a contract where he would be required to play the main theatre.  They want a packed club and not one with empty chairs.  They also think the smaller setting results in a better show and evidently Carnival agrees.

As to KMOM, I've truly had only one bad experience in the Steakhouse and it wasn't bad.  Sent my lamb back twice as being overcooked.  Chef came out apologizing like heck and saying that the supplier had changed and that he couldn't cook the new racks of lamb less than medium to MR.  He offered to make a 3rd try on anything on the menu.  I ended up order just another order of Mushrooms.  Gosh I love the mushrooms.  I paid the full charge plus added my normal tip.  I walked out more than full without having a main course that night.  Didn't let a problem out of my control wreck the dinner.  I guess I have mellowed in my old age.  

However, don't let me scare you off the lamb.  When it is "on", I think it is better than anything else on the Steakhouse menu.    

• Like 2