Question: How many of you go on a cruise the 'frugal' way vs. going all out.....

klfhngr

We always get a balcony (a couple of mini suites) but spend very little otherwise maybe a specialty restaurant every couple of weeks, Mrs G might but some cosmetics if it us stuff she has trouble getting elsewhere and the price is right. We don’t drink she usually has a coffee card me a soda package. Do our own thing in most ports.

On 8/5/2021 at 9:46 AM, George C said:

We go all out on vacation, suites , specialty restaurants, high end drinks etc, I have a 11 year old car but rather spend money on vacation.

Mines 20 years old- Toyota 4Runner that had new transmission at 200k miles. Still doin great.

Fall into the -afford it but not all out- balcony, drink package, enough of budget to do excursion or 2, the boy can have his non alcohol shakes and time in arcade daily. 
Have a friend who does that all out huge suite, private excursions, specialty dining etc. she gets to cruise every 2-3. We do 1/yr + land vacation. She wants top of line when Traveling, we like to do more more often while not being super cheap, definitely not top luxury either. They will do shorter st destination and drive (save money on air so can go more luxury). I prefer to fly if more than 5-8 hours away and spend kore time at destination at mid level accommodations. We are good friends just different value calculations! Fantastic to have so many options for customizing each budget.

On 8/3/2021 at 2:21 PM, klfhngr said:

By frugal way, I mean go with a basic cabin, no specialty dining, no extras before the cruise, etc. but take advantage of all the freebies? By going all out, you get a balcony or suite, drink package, specialty dining, purchase in room stuff before the cruise, FFTF, etc.? Just curious, because I'm catching myself purchasing stuff left and right before the cruise even begins!

I'm an all-outer, but my wife always pulls the reigns on me.  If it was totally up to me, I'd book a full suite on a ship like Celebrity Edge or may Viking Ocean line.  But since I prefer to stay married, I look for balcony deals across the full range of large cruise lines.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think we are towards the frugal camp.  We book the basics.   We buy what we want once on board.   I don't think we buy packages very often.   Except flights.   I'm tall and legroom is a deal breaker.  We pay more for that.   

On 8/3/2021 at 6:32 PM, Markmom18 said:

Our Splurge on cruises would be the cabin itself.

** Biggest waste of money was Presidental Suite on a Royal cruise in Alaska.  As usual hardly spent any time in the cabin. Too cold for much time on theBalcony.

** Great Deal $$-Wise, a Porthole Cabin. Never again, the clanking of huge metal objects was awful!!!!! I pay for a window cabin now.

** The middle of the road happy cabin for us, is a regular size Balcony on the Empress Deck usually. Whatever Deck has only cabins above & below.

** Truly THE splurge is an Aft Wrap. We’ve only booked it twice, but loved the 2 different views. 

🛳🛳

Bobbi

I also really like the basic balcony on Empress with floors of cabins above and below! 

Bobbi

• Like 1

We economize on the cabin and splurge on the land.   Part of the reason for going on the cruise is to see the ports.  We'll spend money for those special experiences that we'll always remember.  

A few years back my  sister and I were doing an Alaska cruise.  We invited our nephew Matt to join us.  We decided that our goal was to blow Matt away.   And we did.  He still talks about that vacation and he has a new respect for his aunts.  We're not old fuddy duddies.  We're a lot more fun than most of his friends!

It is all about the memories  you build.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

When we were much younger and poorer...we were frugal.

Now that we are older and saved a bit of money...we splurge.

We are often reminded "When you die, you can't take it with you."

😄  Ain't that the truth. Our kids were at our house when a chauffer service pulled up our drive. " we would of given you guys a ride to the airport, no need to pay for that"  I laughed and said, " wait till ya see what we're flying in " 

• Like 2