Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

I hope this isn't duplicate information, but there are multiple companies doing the witnessed, online antigen test. You can get it done for less than $60. I'd recommend looking at the companies airlines are recommending. This is the company I am using to come home from Mexico this fall. 

However, I plan on using IDNow at Walgreens for my cruise. Just about everyone lives in an area where there is community spread- thus you qualify. I've used this test before and the results come back within a few hours. I'd use a PCR, but it might not be resulted before I fly to Seattle. I do not want to quarantine in Seattle for an asymptomatic presentation. 

Good luck and wishing you a pleasant journey. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Informatics Nurse said:

I hope this isn't duplicate information, but there are multiple companies doing the witnessed, online antigen test. You can get it done for less than $60. I'd recommend looking at the companies airlines are recommending. This is the company I am using to come home from Mexico this fall. 

However, I plan on using IDNow at Walgreens for my cruise. Just about everyone lives in an area where there is community spread- thus you qualify. I've used this test before and the results come back within a few hours. I'd use a PCR, but it might not be resulted before I fly to Seattle. I do not want to quarantine in Seattle for an asymptomatic presentation. 

Good luck and wishing you a pleasant journey. 

Has anyone told you lately how "totally awesome" YOU are?  Well you are!  Thank you and thank you for helping others.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

I did check with our county health department. Their website says results back in four to six days. How that helps anybody at all, I don't know. An unvaccinated covid sufferer could be in a world of hurt before ever getting those results back.

I just saw that at our local airport in Oakland, CA, they have rapid PCR tests available for travel purposes for $89 pp.  They have appointments available all the way out through the end of the year (360 per day).  While we'd rather get the no cost test, we certainly know we have a back up plan if it becomes necessary.  Because our flight is too early to get the test before it, we will simply go down a day or two ahead of time.  Not exactly the most economical plan but this may be what an unvaccinated passenger will have to do if they get in a bind.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Not exactly the most economical plan but this may be what an unvaccinated passenger will have to do if they get in a bind.  

I'm with you on that. Whatever it takes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pressinger said:

We just cancelled our Christmas cruise on Regal.  The new masking and testing requirements are a non-starter for us. 

The current testing and mask mandates are set to expire on October 31st.  They could be extended beyond that date, but hopefully not.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

The current testing and mask mandates are set to expire on October 31st.  They could be extended beyond that date, but hopefully not.

Could be extended/Could be removed earlier.  Roll of the dice.

Does anyone else feel that Princess is making their passengers run beta tests on every thing?  Look at Android/iPhone Medallion Class threadsssss.  Now this thread.  My conspiracy theory is that Princess looks at (hopefully) the problems "WE" run into then makes changes.  I would much prefer that Princess makes informed decisions after consulting professionals.  I think there would be much less confusion.  Thankfully, there are educated passengers.  I would say that 90% of the information posted is correct.  But it is not always in the most succinct direct way.  Thank you to all contributors.  I really appreciate the span of ideas.  Sharing really is the way to get information to the masses.

• Like 3

Call my insurance provider today.  Interesting....yes, all tests are covered (Federal).  "You aren't using it for travel" (hee hee).  

Under my policy, I can take the rapid test no more than 3 times a day.  I assured her that that would not be the case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I  Because our flight is too early to get the test before it, we will simply go down a day or two ahead of time.  

Is this testing pre or post security?  I know an airport where they do the testing, but it is after security and you need a boarding pass to get through.  Can't just show up a couple of days early and test.

18 hours ago, caribill said:

No existing Princess ship can hold 6000 passengers.

No existing Walgreens can handle 6000 passengers.

I put in another post, sorry for confusion, was not talking about Princess ship.  RCL does.  So in Port Everglades there are a lot of different ships from different cruise companies all on the same day.  That's what I meant.  I should have been clearer.

1 minute ago, trey420 said:

Careful the morality police here are always watching lol.  

I should have been clearer.  No where in the reservation system is "travel" mentioned.  I do not volunteer more information then is asked.  I have some real concerns since I am considered moderate/high risk due to my asthma.  Now, more obvious if you are having your test done at the airport, then it is probably clear that you are flying/traveling.  

On 8/8/2021 at 2:49 PM, mellon1 said:

We are on 7 seven day B2Bs in Jan/Feb 2022.  More time wasted on turnaround day.  The question is, what are the chances (for all those gamblers out there) we would not get the Delta and be shown as positive and be sent home?  I really didn't want to spend 42 days in our room, even if it has a balcony.

I don’t think the test is administered on turnaround day but, probably the last sea day.  Princess would either put you in an quarantine room or would send you home or to the hospital, depending on your symptoms.  If your symptoms are mild, it would probably be one of their special quarantine rooms.  Me?  I’d be ok with either.  I guess I’d be one of those gamblers or would have never booked a B2B for next month.  We love to hang out on our balcony and order room service, watch movies, etc.  

13 hours ago, milolii said:

For those who are members, Kaiser Permanente provides testing for travel.   However, it is the PCR test and the RN in the travel department told us sometimes the test can take up to 72 hours.  No charge. 

FYI DW and I had simultaneous tests at Kaiser, Sat morning 9:30 for a Tues 6:30 am flight. Mine came back Sunday afternoon. Nothing for DW - we went to airport Monday afternoon and paid $129 for Carbon Health - 2 hour response. DW Kaiser response came through Monday evening 8:30. $129 was worth it for peace of mind !

Notice Princess 3 day gives more flexibility than 72 hours.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kay S said:

Is this testing pre or post security?  I know an airport where they do the testing, but it is after security and you need a boarding pass to get through.  Can't just show up a couple of days early and test.

No, ours is pre-security and you have to make an appointment.  It is actually done a little ways offsite.   

9 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

No, ours is pre-security and you have to make an appointment.  It is actually done a little ways offsite.   

Agreed, be sure to use Google Maps to get directions. We would not have found Carbon at San Jose Airport.

• Like 2

Hi All!

Just saw that some are canceling due to availability of testing.

Here are a few resources and one was mentioned before for Seattle

*** Also Google Concierge Covid Testing for your area and see if anyone will actually

come to you for a test if you can't find anything in your area. This will be an out of pocket expense but

some use insurance to cover part of the cost.

Seattle Based- Comes with a Cost

https://discoveryhealthmd.com/covid-19-services/

https://www.questdiagnostics.com/home/Covid-19/

3 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

Hi All!

Just saw that some are canceling due to availability of testing.

Here are a few resources and one was mentioned before for Seattle

*** Also Google Concierge Covid Testing for your area and see if anyone will actually

come to you for a test if you can't find anything in your area. This will be an out of pocket expense but

some use insurance to cover part of the cost.

Seattle Based- Comes with a Cost

https://discoveryhealthmd.com/covid-19-services/

https://www.questdiagnostics.com/home/Covid-19/

3 hours ago, DUCHESSRN said:

In my Area the tests are in short supply who knows by September .Hoping by then Princess will provide Testing at the Pier like the other Cruise Lines.

In my area (Portland), testing is in short supply.  I started looking into where I could go for rapid test and it looks like Walgreens is the only place but they have no appointments available. CVS doesn’t offer it in my area and Rite Aid only does PCR and they said 2-5 days for results.  I called Legacy urgent care and they told me they are not doing tests if it’s for travel since there is a shortage of tests.  Which is probably why Walgreens had no appointments whereas a week ago, they had tons.  

I sent an email to Princess asking if they could partner with a testing provider to alleviate our stress and help us to be able to cruise.

again, I’m not cruising right now and was just doing some research to find out where I can go.  I would be stressed if I were to sail this weekend.

Edited by mthomp5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mthomp5 said:

In my area (Portland), testing is in short supply.  I started looking into where I could go for rapid test and it looks like Walgreens is the only place but they have no appointments available. CVS doesn’t offer it in my area and Rite Aid only does PCR and they said 2-5 days for results.  I called Legacy urgent care and they told me they are not doing tests if it’s for travel since there is a shortage of tests.  Which is probably why Walgreens had no appointments whereas a week ago, they had tons.  

I sent an email to Princess asking if they could partner with a testing provider to alleviate our stress and help us to be able to cruise.

again, I’m not cruising right now and was just doing some research to find out where I can go.  I would be stressed if I were to sail this weekend.

Unfortunately many places scaled back testing which we seem  to need again.

I am guessing that more tests will be available soon since the volume needed is increasing dramatically.

Just a thought "Community Spread"  is everywhere so you can always check that box. 

I live in FL where it's surging and so it's not a far stretch to test for community spread. 

• Like 2

My friend had Covid testing booked for 4 pm today , CVS just informed her they have run out of tests , after an hour on hold to Princess she was offered a full refund . She is devastated they were shocked at the indifference of Princess .

22 minutes ago, DUCHESSRN said:

My friend had Covid testing booked for 4 pm today , CVS just informed her they have run out of tests , after an hour on hold to Princess she was offered a full refund . She is devastated they were shocked at the indifference of Princess .

Cautionary tale.  Do not wait until the afternoon to take a test.  I understand that sometimes this is the only available appointment, but...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DUCHESSRN said:

I think the Princess phone reps are probably so overwhelmed with all the calls.  They just want to answer the question and move on to the next call.  Plus, they don’t have any control on the requirement/process.  Hopefully, the execs who need to be aware of this (and hopefully care) will have some visibility soon on how it’s impacting their customers.