Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

I have my COVID test scheduled for tomorrow at a CVS Minute Clinic for my Majestic cruise on Sunday. 

Maybe in the future Princess could look to partner with a home COVID test company and get the tests at a cheaper bulk rate. They could send the test to passengers when they mail out the Medallions. People could take the tests at home and follow the instructions to get them certified by a medical official.

While it could/should be free, maybe there could be an option to order a COVID test in the app and have it delivered before your cruise for a marginal fee for those that may not live in locations that are easy to schedule a COVID test.  

Edited by Princess Cruises Fann
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

And the pity is that this extra testing is largely a waste of time, money and effort when the cruise is for the fully-vaccinated. 

That was true before the current wave of Covid cases. The delta variant can infect those who have been vaccinated and can spread it to others.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I am now thinking this new testing requirement is going to cause Princess more damage than the MC App issues.  At least with MC App, there are workarounds to get people checked-in and onto the ship.

And the pity is that this extra testing is largely a waste of time, money and effort when the cruise is for the fully-vaccinated. 

Unfortunately -  I know several who are fully vaccinated and have tested positive with symptoms (some severe but not hospitalized) and have spread it to their entire families. People in these families have different vaccines as they qualified at different times - so it is not like one vaccine is not as good as the others. All Delta variant.

My state has had 17 fully vaccinated individuals die of COVID. 

I don't think it is a waste of time. I do wish they would do it at the pier though.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Die of, or die with ?

Die of.

We have had 79 individuals who have been fully vaccinated who have been hospitalized due to COVID in my state (not a highly populated state). This was as of 12 days ago. I know my city has had 2 fully vaccinated individuals die of COVID in the past few month or so.

Edited by Coral

On 8/4/2021 at 1:57 PM, wowzz said:

Why all the moans and groans ? All us Brits are quite happy  to undergo a test at the terminal. 

Adds to the safety  of the cruise - surely it is a good idea to not let anyone on board that tests positive for CV19 ?

The moans and groans are because in the US, Princess is not doing the testing at the terminal for cruises departing after the 14th of August. We are on our own to obtain the appropriate test and results. It is common for us to leave for the cruise 2 days in advance - one day for the scheduled flight across country and one day for "insurance" in the event something goes awry. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

At home option that is medically observed

Research further or call the company for specific questions.

https://www.globalpointofcare.abbott/en/product-details/binaxnow-covid-19-home-test-us.html

Where to purchase.   **** Some BinaxNow DO NOT offer the TeleMed option so research accordingly

Follow up with the supplier with any questions 🙂

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-3-pack/

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BigBee51 said:

The moans and groans are because in the US, Princess is not doing the testing at the terminal for cruises departing after the 14th of August. We are on our own to obtain the appropriate test and results. It is common for us to leave for the cruise 2 days in advance - one day for the scheduled flight across country and one day for "insurance" in the event something goes awry. 

Exactly. If Princess did this at the pier/terminal - it would solve a ton of issues. Though it may create more issues if people test positive and have to find a hotel, etc...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

What makes you suspicious of CCL and Princess in this regard?  They could face severe penalties I presume.  What makes you think Majestic is under observation?  I did read some CDC reps were on board week 1, but are they still there?  What did you mean by "observation"?  Makes it seem like someone needs to keep an eye on them. 

ETA - I know for YELLOW, it states on CDC that ships are under observation, but that could mean watching the required reports, no?

I am asking about that above as she makes it sound ominous.

It's been reported that those color codes are not all current.  Not sure if correct, but I think when Majestic began sailing with pax that some crew had not completed second vaccine + 14 days?

The Majestic is under observation, it's a fact. Most ships with passengers have met the threshold to be under observation or investigation. The CDC lists what each color means, which is related to cases reported by guest, crew, or within 5 days post departure. Yesterday it changed from "CDC has started an investigation." to "CDC has investigated and ship remains under observation." I've been checking it daily M-F, as I'm getting on the ship in a few weeks. I had hoped it would have gone to orange, rather than stay at yellow. The color status has to do reported/identified cases, not the reports sent to the CDC or the vaccination status of the crew. Yellow means they met the threshold. It's all listed, but they do not identify what the threshold is. 1%, 10%, 15%??? 

I'd like the Carnival corporation to be transparent about cases on board. The 26 cases was initially reported as a few. It came out as 26, when they were trying to get permission for the guests to go ashore for one of their scheduled stops. I'm getting on one of their ships and I'd like to have all of the information to make the best decision. It's about transparency. 

My reply was related to your post where you mentioned that you felt testing was overkill for a vaccinated cruise. Nothing is 100%, but this decreases the chances. I'm happy to test, I'm happy to mask- I'll have a great time either way. I'd also be happy to know more about what cases are being reported on the ship I'm getting on. 😉 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BigBee51 said:

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Exactly. If Princess did this at the pier/terminal - it would solve a ton of issues. Though it may create more issues if people test positive and have to find a hotel, etc...

Nationwide the demand for testing is way up due to the recent rapid spread of the virus. Testing companies are being stressed with the demand and often cannot report results within the 3 day period following the taking of a sample.

Besides putting the onus on each passenger to figure out what type of acceptable test is available where, there is now the additional stress of worrying if a result will come back in time even when the proper test is taken at a provider who normally has an acceptable time frame for the results to come back.

Although testing at the terminal may cause a problem for those with a positive result, the same problem can occur if you took a test where you lived but traveled to the port city before the results are known or if you traveled to the port city and had the test performed there.

The ability for a passenger to schedule a test and know 100% that the results will be back in time is very stressful. There has been one post where both people took a test at the same time at the same provider and only one result came back within three days.

Taking a vacation should reduce stress, not add to it. That is why we are seeing a number of posts by people who are canceling their Princess cruise bookings.

Would testing at the terminal cost Princess $$$? Yes.

Would people cancelling their Princess cruise (or not booking one) due to the uncertainty of having an acceptable test with results back in the acceptable time frame also cost Princess $$$? Yes

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, caribill said:

Nationwide the demand for testing is way up due to the recent rapid spread of the virus. Testing companies are being stressed with the demand and often cannot report results within the 3 day period following the taking of a sample.

Besides putting the onus on each passenger to figure out what type of acceptable test is available where, there is now the additional stress of worrying if a result will come back in time even when the proper test is taken at a provider who normally has an acceptable time frame for the results to come back.

Although testing at the terminal may cause a problem for those with a positive result, the same problem can occur if you took a test where you lived but traveled to the port city before the results are known or if you traveled to the port city and had the test performed there.

The ability for a passenger to schedule a test and know 100% that the results will be back in time is very stressful. There has been one post where both people took a test at the same time at the same provider and only one result came back within three days.

Taking a vacation should reduce stress, not add to it. That is why we are seeing a number of posts by people who are canceling their Princess cruise bookings.

Would testing at the terminal cost Princess $$$? Yes.

Would people cancelling their Princess cruise (or not booking one) due to the uncertainty of having an acceptable test with results back in the acceptable time frame also cost Princess $$$? Yes

We cancelled Oct 31 on Ruby. Testing looked like a hurdle we did not want. If testing had been available at the pier we would have flown to San Francisco as planned a few days in advance.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, maggie777 said:

We cancelled Oct 31 on Ruby. Testing looked like a hurdle we did not want. If testing had been available at the pier we would have flown to San Francisco as planned a few days in advance.

We cancelled our August 29th cruise on the Majestic due to the fact we had to find a test facility in Seattle.  We would not have cancelled if the testing was done at the port and we would have been happy to pay for it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

Where to purchase.   **** Some BinaxNow DO NOT offer the TeleMed option so research accordingly

Follow up with the supplier with any questions 🙂

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-3-pack/

How do these home testing kits work?  Do we take a swab sample and then send it to a lab?  How long would shipping take?  Or is it like something we can do at home like those home pregnancy tests?

4 hours ago, Coral said:

Die of.

We have had 79 individuals who have been fully vaccinated who have been hospitalized due to COVID in my state (not a highly populated state). This was as of 12 days ago. I know my city has had 2 fully vaccinated individuals die of COVID in the past few month or so.

I only asked, because the UK does not differentiate.  Die from a heart attack, but with a positive CV19 result, and the death is recorded as a CV19 fatality. 

21 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

How do these home testing kits work?  Do we take a swab sample and then send it to a lab?  How long would shipping take?  Or is it like something we can do at home like those home pregnancy tests?

It's a  test that you take at home and the Antigen is a quick test with results in minutes. 

You use the tele health portion for them to monitor and walk you through the steps.

Click  the link as they have a some more information and can probably be called or emailed for further  information.

I did notice that the 2 pack is now sold out.

3 pack is still available. $99

Edited by Jadn13
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

It's a  test that you take at home and the Antigen is a quick test with results in minutes. 

You use the tele health portion for them to monitor and walk you through the steps.

Click  the link as they have a some more information and can probably be called or emailed for further  information.

I did notice that the 2 pack is now sold out.

3 pack is still available. $99

I'm using some tests I bought from Costco last December, as my back up if I can't get a test locally. I bought them for Hawaii, but got a test locally that took less than two hours. So I still have them on hand and I'll use them for the cruise if I can't get a test locally.

I did just buy antigen tests for an upcoming Mexico trip. I bought them yesterday and they were shipped today. They will work for the cruise. They were $59 with free shipping and there are offering a 10% discount through American. I don't see why you couldn't use the code too. 9Use promo code AATRAVEL10 at checkout) They are witnessed tests and you get results quickly and an email output that can be used for travel within two hours of completing the test- per their website. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Informatics Nurse said:

I'm using some tests I bought from Costco last December, as my back up if I can't get a test locally. I bought them for Hawaii, but got a test locally that took less than two hours. So I still have them on hand and I'll use them for the cruise if I can't get a test locally.

I did just buy antigen tests for an upcoming Mexico trip. I bought them yesterday and they were shipped today. They will work for the cruise. They were $59 with free shipping and there are offering a 10% discount through American. I don't see why you couldn't use the code too. 9Use promo code AATRAVEL10 at checkout) They are witnessed tests and you get results quickly and an email output that can be used for travel within two hours of completing the test- per their website. 

This sounds promising.   How do you get the sample to the lab for testing? I don’t understand that part and how long it would take to send to a lab.

3 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

This sounds promising.   How do you get the sample to the lab for testing? I don’t understand that part and how long it would take to send to a lab.

Some of the at home tests don't go to a lab, they are done at home, kind of like a pregnancy test.

(Using a nasal swab of course 🙂  )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

The costco ones you overnight to the lab and it can take 72* hours to get the results. 

The antigen ones you do at home. It's witnessed and they will watch you do the test. Based on what they say, you wait in a virtual cue to submit your result to them. After that point, they will send you an official result that can be used for travel. 

Updated to add:

*I've had family use these and it took 48 hours from the time they did the test to get a result. It's about 24 hours after the lab gets them that you get a result. 

Edited by Informatics Nurse
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Informatics Nurse said:

The costco ones you overnight to the lab and it can take 72 hours to get the results. 

The antigen ones you do at home. It's witnessed and they will watch you do the test. Based on what they say, you wait in a virtual cue to submit your result to them. After that point, they will send you an official result that can be used for travel. 

These sound like the way to go for anyone worried they won't be able to test in their area.

Takes a lot of the worry out of it.

I looked at the site and they are taking orders for kits on travel dates into October.

Great Resource!! 

Thanks for Sharing.