Pcr testing

Bin man

As I see it at the moment when going to the Med Spanish ports and returning to Southampton you have to book a pcr test before you go and take by day 2 on your return even though double jabbed .Have I got this correct? 

18 minutes ago, Bin man said:

As I see it at the moment when going to the Med Spanish ports and returning to Southampton you have to book a pcr test before you go and take by day 2 on your return even though double jabbed .Have I got this correct? 

At present, you would need to be tested within 3 days prior to arrival in the UK (so that would have to be done on board) and, yes, you would have needed to order a test prior to departure, that you would take within two days of arriving home. You need the code from the test to enter on the passenger locator form.

But, who knows what the system will be when foreign cruises restart.

I have a Marella cruise to Spain/Portugal from Southampton in September. I obviously have to take a lateral flow test before being allowed to board, but I have had an email from Marella suggesting that if the situation needs " You may also need to take a test before you return to the UK" they will arrange a PCR test "and will have easy and affordable testing packages available to help you with this" (presumably onboard) before returning to the UK. 

I might assume that P&O might do the same.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, GOQ said:

I have a Marella cruise to Spain/Portugal from Southampton in September. I obviously have to take a lateral flow test before being allowed to board, but I have had an email from Marella suggesting that if the situation needs " You may also need to take a test before you return to the UK" they will arrange a PCR test "and will have easy and affordable testing packages available to help you with this" (presumably onboard) before returning to the UK. 

I might assume that P&O might do the same.

I'd say that's exactly what will happen if needs be . I am happy to go with whatever is in place for my October cruise. 

2 hours ago, Bin man said:

We are on the Britannia 9th October cruise, and I am happy to await the testing regime that the govt and P&O have in place by then. But if you can only go ashore on a ships tour then we will be staying on board, and I would then hope that we would be exempted from any tests, the same as seacation passengers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But if you can only go ashore on a ships tour then we will be staying on board, and I would then hope that we would be exempted from any tests, the same as seacation passengers.

I can't see that happening,  as you would still have been in contact with passengers who went ashore,  who, even in a tour bubble,  could still have contracted covid.

• Like 1

I think people need some clarity in advance so they can make plans / cancel before final payment.

I agree with Wozz, if you are mixing with others who have been on shore then you should require testing once back home like anyone on a ferry crossing. A cruise ship is no different if it actually docks at a non U.K. port.

Non of this was in required when most of us booked years in advance (along with very long queues for testing to get onboard, masks, no pre booking for dining, costly mandatory ships tours being herded around etc).

42 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I think people need some clarity in advance so they can make plans / cancel before final payment.

I agree with Wozz, if you are mixing with others who have been on shore then you should require testing once back home like anyone on a ferry crossing. A cruise ship is no different if it actually docks at a non U.K. port.

Non of this was in required when most of us booked years in advance (along with very long queues for testing to get onboard, masks, no pre booking for dining, costly mandatory ships tours being herded around etc).

Absolutely right…unfortunately for cruises departing after 3 October, P& O had reverted to original payment date of 3 months beforehand…so for us it was 8 July. No way was I parting with my money with such uncertainty, with the possibility of wanting to cancel nearer the time but losing more than just my deposit. if they had kept the 30 day payment I might not have cancelled yet…! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I can't see that happening,  as you would still have been in contact with passengers who went ashore,  who, even in a tour bubble,  could still have contracted covid.

In much the same way that you could come across someone who has just been abroad.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

In much the same way that you could come across someone who has just been abroad.

But if they have just been abroad they would require to do the mandatory tests when they come back home.

I think some of it seems a little over the top but then I am not a virologist. Presumably there is a reason why these things are put in place.

11 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

But if they have just been abroad they would require to do the mandatory tests when they come back home.

I think some of it seems a little over the top but then I am not a virologist. Presumably there is a reason why these things are put in place.

I think 90% of the regulations are just to provide assurance to the general public that things are under control. If we, and in particular the media, were not so ready to jump on every little report of minor infringements, then I guess there would be far fewer of these dubious restrictions.

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think 90% of the regulations are just to provide assurance to the general public that things are under control. If we, and in particular the media, were not so ready to jump on every little report of minor infringements, then I guess there would be far fewer of these dubious restrictions.

There may well be something in that John.

59 minutes ago, Mysticalmother said:

Absolutely right…unfortunately for cruises departing after 3 October, P& O had reverted to original payment date of 3 months beforehand…so for us it was 8 July. No way was I parting with my money with such uncertainty, with the possibility of wanting to cancel nearer the time but losing more than just my deposit. if they had kept the 30 day payment I might not have cancelled yet…! 

So could you not have moved the cruise?

36 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

So could you not have moved the cruise?

I can’t see anything which allows me to move my cruise, see the exert below (could be missing it of course). It is either pay the balance or cancel and lose my deposit. The cruise they are now providing is not in any way, shape or form the cruise I booked and all flexibility now seems to have gone (unless someone can kindly correct me on this). 

I don’t want to stand in long queues to embark, be constantly muzzled, be at the mercy of a dodgy app, be unable to book a decent meal in a speciality restaurant in advance, be herded on an over priced  tour, pay for testing to get back into the U.K. etc but that is what I am faced with or lose my deposit.

“P&O Cruises Select Price and Early Saver holidays due to sail on or after 5 October 2021:

If you're booked on a P&O Cruises holiday due to sail on or after 5 October 2021 that is unaffected by our latest pause and wish to cancel, the cancellation policy in our Booking Conditions applies. P&O Cruises shall be entitled to levy a cancellation charge as a percentage of the price paid in accordance with the following scales.”

22 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I can’t see anything which allows me to move my cruise, see the exert below (could be missing it of course). It is either pay the balance or cancel and lose my deposit. The cruise they are now providing is not in any way, shape or form the cruise I booked and all flexibility now seems to have gone (unless someone can kindly correct me on this). 

I don’t want to stand in long queues to embark, be constantly muzzled, be at the mercy of a dodgy app, be unable to book a decent meal in a speciality restaurant in advance, be herded on an over priced  tour, pay for testing to get back into the U.K. etc but that is what I am faced with or lose my deposit.

“P&O Cruises Select Price and Early Saver holidays due to sail on or after 5 October 2021:

If you're booked on a P&O Cruises holiday due to sail on or after 5 October 2021 that is unaffected by our latest pause and wish to cancel, the cancellation policy in our Booking Conditions applies. P&O Cruises shall be entitled to levy a cancellation charge as a percentage of the price paid in accordance with the following scales.”

This is current terms

If your holiday is unaffected by our latest pause but you would like to reschedule, you can take advantage of our free flexible transfer policy up to the date the balance for your holiday is due. This means that if you have a Select Price or Early Saver booking you can:

• Transfer your booking to any P&O Cruises holiday currently on sale (and not just to those within the next 12 months).
  • Transfer your booking to a cruise of higher or lower value (and not just of a higher value, as is usually the case).
  • Transfer your booking an unlimited number of times (and not just once).
  • Transfer your booking free of charge.

Should you wish to transfer your booking you should call our Customer Contact Centre or your travel agent if you booked with them.

This policy modifies the transfer policy in our Booking Conditions.  This policy may be changed or withdrawn at any time without notice.

4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

This is current terms

If your holiday is unaffected by our latest pause but you would like to reschedule, you can take advantage of our free flexible transfer policy up to the date the balance for your holiday is due. This means that if you have a Select Price or Early Saver booking you can:

• Transfer your booking to any P&O Cruises holiday currently on sale (and not just to those within the next 12 months).
  • Transfer your booking to a cruise of higher or lower value (and not just of a higher value, as is usually the case).
  • Transfer your booking an unlimited number of times (and not just once).
  • Transfer your booking free of charge.

Should you wish to transfer your booking you should call our Customer Contact Centre or your travel agent if you booked with them.

This policy modifies the transfer policy in our Booking Conditions.  This policy may be changed or withdrawn at any time without notice.

Thank you, could you provide a link to this as the quote I added in my post was what I found on line and it appeared this did not apply after October.

Really appreciate your help. Someone on cruise critic can always find things!

Back to the original post, I am going (fingers crossed!) on a coastal cruise in Croatia with Saga in September. They state

"You may require a pre departure test and we will confirm this prior to your departure when you receive your travel documents. If both pre departure and tests when you return to the UK are needed, you can book and pay for them all at the same time. You do not need to book your test to return to the UK though as we will arrange and pay for this for you whilst you are on holiday. This test must be taken 3 days prior to travelling home and your holiday will have the time needed to take the test incorporated into it."

Why can't all travel companies be as accomodating?

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Denarius said:

Back to the original post, I am going (fingers crossed!) on a coastal cruise in Croatia with Saga in September. They state

"You may require a pre departure test and we will confirm this prior to your departure when you receive your travel documents. If both pre departure and tests when you return to the UK are needed, you can book and pay for them all at the same time. You do not need to book your test to return to the UK though as we will arrange and pay for this for you whilst you are on holiday. This test must be taken 3 days prior to travelling home and your holiday will have the time needed to take the test incorporated into it."

Why can't all travel companies be as accomodating?

You would hope that all cruise lines would do the same.  Indeed, they probably will have to, as there is no other way for passengers to get the required negative test result.

What Saga haven't mentioned,  is the need for a passenger locator form to be completed prior to disembarkation,  plus  of course, ordering the 2 day test kit before starting the cruise.