Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

2 hours ago, CruisinGrandpa said:

Regarding the 'split table' issue - we had a party of 7 on the Regal T/A in November. We wanted to book Crown Grill for the group. DMW only gave us a 'split' assignment for the 7, but a single table if I changed it to 6. To get around this we went directly to the venue and were able to book a table 

for 7 for our group. We needed to be a bit flexible re: day and time, but she made it work for us.

Yes, quite easy to work with the CG staff for that.  Not sure it is so easy in the MDR - yet.

• Like 1

From Nov 27 until tonight we were unable to book a private table. 
Tonight when asking for a private table the attitude shifted to “Yes of course, just let us know”. We were immediately shown a private table. We were not made to feel like we were putting them out. That was nice. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Thanks 1

Anyone have any problems getting the same table/wait staff every night?  On my October 31 cruise on the Ruby I never sat at the same table with the same wait staff in the MDR at dinner. I was at a different table each night. 

Tom😀

23 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Anyone have any problems getting the same table/wait staff every night?  On my October 31 cruise on the Ruby I never sat at the same table with the same wait staff in the MDR at dinner. I was at a different table each night. 

Tom😀

This is what I hear a lot - unless the guest speaks with the DORO to get it fixed.  I will be interested to read any new info.

9 hours ago, trbarton said:

Tom😀

On our October 23 and November 3 cruises on the Regal we established a relationship with the host. We were always shown to tables for two next to a window with the same server. Sometimes she just told us to go a table. Of course, our dining time was at 5:30.

Edited by billco
  • Thanks 1

Currently on the Ruby & completed 8 nights of our 10 night cruise. Have not been able to get the same serving team and up until last night was made uncomfortable even asking for a private table. @Steelers36i will be interested in how your plan to speak to the DORO goes.  I have not seen the DORO once in 13 nights. Not my first 5 nights in club class nor my last 8 nights in MDR. 

21 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Currently on the Ruby & completed 8 nights of our 10 night cruise. Have not been able to get the same serving team and up until last night was made uncomfortable even asking for a private table. @Steelers36i will be interested in how your plan to speak to the DORO goes.  I have not seen the DORO once in 13 nights. Not my first 5 nights in club class nor my last 8 nights in MDR. 

Our trips are still a LONG way off.  Who knows what might develop by then?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

How was the service from the wait staff who did serve you? On our cruises the most notable things that stood out were the attention to cleanliness and the outstanding service from just about everyone we came into contact with.

11 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

HaveDogWillTravel - it's BlueFish from the 1st Majestic cruise. We are back on the Majestic to Mexico next month and then we are on the Ruby out of SFO to Alaska in July.  How is the food on the Ruby compared to the Majestic? I know you will tell me like it is 😁. I think we should call you "DirtyDog" for getting to cruise so much! Seriously jealous!

@bilcoall crew have been excellent. Even though MDR is a madhouse they have managed to get us done in 1 hr 15 min for show when we ask. 

@BlueFish2000hi!  Hope you are doing well. Nothing can compare to that inaugural Alaska sailing on the Majestic…..nothing. In CC the fish in particular came out much much better. In the MDR it has come out over cooked all but once. Overall the food is good with some stars of the show. The servers are great at steering you in the right direction.  

@Kmkubafter the restart many titles have changed. The Maitre D’hotel is now the Director of Restaurant Operations.  They are no longer visible, and no longer meet with guests.  

• Thanks 1

🤔I've been trying to book specialty restaurant reservations since downloading the cumbersome, not user friendly, Medallion app. I continually get the message: "please check back closer to your journey date...." Considering that my cruise starts this Friday methinks this confirms my negative opinion of Medallion! Any suggestions from a shipmate who has had success?

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Then I suppose any dining requests go to any HW - or is there a DR supervisor for each location?

There’s a HW. But he is “not able to over ride the system “. We just can’t get the same table with the same crew in spite showing up with a reservation for the same time every night. I think that is going to seriously effect the end of cruise tips the servers get. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

There’s a HW. But he is “not able to over ride the system “. We just can’t get the same table with the same crew in spite showing up with a reservation for the same time every night. I think that is going to seriously effect the end of cruise tips the servers get. 

That’s the same issue I had on my last cruise. I made a report of my issue when I reviewed my cruise. Not sure if it made any difference. 

What server’s do you tip at the end when you have had a different one each night?

I may just try going back to the table I had the 1st night. 

Tom😀

9 minutes ago, trbarton said:

That’s the same issue I had on my last cruise. I made a report of my issue when I reviewed my cruise. Not sure if it made any difference. 

What server’s do you tip at the end when you have had a different one each night?

Tom😀

You do not need to tip, they get a portion of the "crew incentive". If you want to add tip for exceptional service on an individual meal feel free to do so at that time.

• Like 2

We are on the Regal next month. Can someone tell me what DR is used for CC? I would prefer one where I have at least a chance of getting a nice table so will avoid that one 😀

I really hope we can get the type of dining experience we are used to. I hate to sound negative because I really love cruising. I understand that things change and to a certain extent will go with the flow but if I wanted an NCL experience then I would sail on NCL. Princess is our favorite line but this is becoming a deal breaker.

13 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

13 hours ago, trbarton said:

Tom😀

I have not thought about this as it has been a long time since we did AT.  With same wait staff for a voyage, it is simple.  Maybe they should make it simple for AT folks who have dined at a variety of tables to optionally remit additional tips that would go into a pool for the AT wait staff.  I am thinking to be fair, the DORO/HW's must rotate waiters between AT and TD tables (used to be easier), so all have equal chance for additional tips.  IMO, AT extra tips should go into a pool, whereas the TD tips can go to the guest's waiters they had all along.  Not sure, but seems a fair way to do it.  If we switched to AT, not sure what I would do - perhaps try and get some extra cash if individuals were outstanding.

20 hours ago, luvdaislands said:

🤔I've been trying to book specialty restaurant reservations since downloading the cumbersome, not user friendly, Medallion app. I continually get the message: "please check back closer to your journey date...." Considering that my cruise starts this Friday methinks this confirms my negative opinion of Medallion! Any suggestions from a shipmate who has had success?

Our cruise is Feb 2022. What worked for me was trying different devices. At first my Samsung Android Galaxy A11 phone refused to allow me to even log onto my account. A week later I tried my wife's identical model phone and got in. I could see one or two things, but could not update anything. Three weeks later I downloaded and installed the new Medallion software onto my phone. Afterwards I could log on, but not make dining reservations. Tried my wife's phone without the new app; got in and made reservations. A few weeks later I tried my phone and could see and do everything that I ought to have been available to me. A week later I spent a couple of hours/sessions with Princess customer service and finally got confirmation everything that should/could be in the app was there. I lack only picking my boarding time and filling out their health questionnaire; it's too early for either.

My suggestion finally: Try another smart phone or tablet. If unsuccessful, plan spending time on the phone with Princess customer service. Also, have hard copies of EVERYTHING you think you might need to board on your person when you report to the boarding pier.

Enjoy your cruise, I bet you will eventually get all those things done!😎

Doug

• Like 1

My question re Dine My Way is: for us solo cruisers, currently would we be able to join other diners at a table or are they sitting us alone?  I like to dine with others.  I meet great people that way.  Anyone know what they are currently doing?

2 hours ago, mya603 said:

My question re Dine My Way is: for us solo cruisers, currently would we be able to join other diners at a table or are they sitting us alone?  I like to dine with others.  I meet great people that way.  Anyone know what they are currently doing?

On the Ruby, shared tables are proceeding as normal. 

5 hours ago, mya603 said:

If you like mixing it up, then great.  If you like to have a table of the same guests each night, good luck with that. 

On 12/6/2021 at 12:18 PM, trbarton said:

Tom😀

Everyone who has a problem with this should make a report when reviewing their cruise. If there are enough people doing it (especially platinum and elite customers) it should make a difference.