Kettle in cabin on UK Seacation?

Izzywiz

I’m wondering if Princess provides a kettle in our cabin on a UK Seacation so I’m hoping that someone who has done one of these cruises can confirm either way. We do love our early morning cuppa without having to wait to get the lukewarm water from room service.

Make sure you use bottled water in the kettle. I didn't and my tea tasted awful. I do admit to being fussy about my first cuppa of the day so it may be alright for you. I ordered Tea on the app to be delivered to our cabin as soon as I woke up,  delivery was speedy. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Funny how those kettles are a dangerous fire hazard except in the UK market.  Just sayin.......

Having been a firefighter in UK Fire Service for 34yrs I have never responded to a kettle on fire. No different than a coffee machine that boils water to make coffee only a kettle boils water and turns off automatically at boiling point to make tea with.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Funny how those kettles are a dangerous fire hazard except in the UK market.  Just sayin.......

I hope your request here goes better than my thread on kettles. I'm the one who started one of the threads you see linked above - the one on Princess.  You absolutely cannot convince people that if you say the word "kettle" on a cruise ship it doesn't spontaneously burst into flames. You ask about kettles and all people can do is post "YOU ARE A THOUGHTLESS JERK WHO IS GOING TO KILL US ALL." And thank you for that insight,  sir!  LOL  It's really hard to argue that kettles are entirely unsafe on a cruise ship when (1) they let women bring hair straighteners on board that get hotter than the surface temperatures of the sun and (2) kettles are routinely used on cruises out of Southampton and have been for years.  Such is how things go on the Interwebz!

Edited by BuckeyeMark
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 5:31 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Your own kettle is still considered a dangerous fire hazard in the UK market.

Princess makes sure that the kettles they supply meet the safety needs.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Your own kettle is still considered a dangerous fire hazard in the UK market.

Princess makes sure that the kettles they supply meet the safety needs.

Sorry, why would my kettle be considered dangerous. As has been said,  there has not been a single instance of a UK kettle causing a fire!

So if Princess can supply kettles for UK cruises,  why can't they supply them for all other cruises. 

I have been on a few Princess cruises from Southampton and they have all had a kettle in the room. They are ones they provide and therefore have been tested and deemed ok for use, they also have a EU socket not a UK plug on them. 

It seems they recognise us Brits like our own brewed tea and coffee in our cabins.  I will agree i don't know why they can't have them on all cruises and not just UK as it makes no sense. 

If you were to try and take your own on board it would get confiscated resulting in a call to the naughty room.

Never seen them on ones that start in the US and the Med. 

Oh we have noticed that Royal Caribbean also only allow kettles in the cabins on cruises starting in the UK.   

Just curious.   How often does the cruise line clean the kettles in the rooms especially now with covid.   Is there  a chance that someone could warm up something other then just hot water in the kettles?  It must take time to clean the kettles between cruises if in fact they do at all. 

4 hours ago, waltd said:

Just curious.   How often does the cruise line clean the kettles in the rooms especially now with covid.   Is there  a chance that someone could warm up something other then just hot water in the kettles?  It must take time to clean the kettles between cruises if in fact they do at all. 

I am really at a loss here. What on earth would you put in an electric kettle other than water? 

And, "No", there is no need to clean kettles. Boiling water tends to ensure that cleaning is not required!

• Like 2

As a point of context, except for the most ultra-budget lodgings, an electric kettle (along with tea bags and milk, and maybe instant coffee) is generally an expected room amenity in hotels in the UK, despite changing tastes over recent years. People are very particular about tea and tend to like to make their own. 

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I think there is some confusion to what a kettle is in the US compared to the UK. To say a kettle is a dangerous fire hazard in the UK is laughable without knowing the full facts.

Let's be clear: knowing the full facts is does NOT seem to be a requirement on the Interwebz to post rants and comments!  LOL

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 6:31 PM, wowzz said:

Sorry, why would my kettle be considered dangerous. As has been said,  there has not been a single instance of a UK kettle causing a fire!

So if Princess can supply kettles for UK cruises,  why can't they supply them for all other cruises. 

That's easy. Dollars.

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I were on a transpacific cruise from Sydney to the US several years ago.  The cruise was sold as two cruises - Sydney to Hawaii and Hawaii to San Francisco - or as one long cruise.

Most of the Aussies got off in Hawaii. When the Aussies disappeared, so did the kettles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

That's easy. Dollars.

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I were on a transpacific cruise from Sydney to the US several years ago.  The cruise was sold as two cruises - Sydney to Hawaii and Hawaii to San Francisco - or as one long cruise.

Most of the Aussies got off in Hawaii. When the Aussies disappeared, so did the kettles.

We were on RC a few years ago and mentioned to our cabin steward that a kettle would be nice and apparently a $10 tip overcomes the fire hazard 🥸

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Riocca said:

We were on RC a few years ago and mentioned to our cabin steward that a kettle would be nice and apparently a $10 tip overcomes the fire hazard 🥸

Potential fire hazard comes from a kettle brought on by a passenger ans it may not meet the necessary standards.

A ship supplied kettle presumably has specs that do not make it a fire hazard.

58 minutes ago, caribill said:

Potential fire hazard comes from a kettle brought on by a passenger ans it may not meet the necessary standards.

A ship supplied kettle presumably has specs that do not make it a fire hazard.

Most kettles have a thermal cut out it’s rare to find ones without but they are a potential risk, all those supplied by the cruise line will have been P.A.T. tested by the engineering department before they are issued to passengers to ensure safety. Judging by the pictures Princess are using 230v kettles which is fine, if someone tried plugging a 110v kettle into the 230v supply it would be a problem.

Hair straighteners or hair dryers brought on by passengers are a far greater risk.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 6:33 PM, wowzz said:

I am really at a loss here. What on earth would you put in an electric kettle other than water? 

And, "No", there is no need to clean kettles. Boiling water tends to ensure that cleaning is not required!

I hate to create any animosity betweek England and Australia...

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/accommodation/some-hotel-guests-boil-their-underwear-in-the-kettles-to-clean-them/news-story/a8359c7eb56f042a9dae269d6732580d

For the poster who suggested bottled water over tap water ... maybe the water wasn't the problem?!?