Celebrity air is $100 less than booking with United directly. What's the catch?

fstuff1

8/27 cruise (9day aruba).

round trip from dc area to fort lauderdale (non stop) is $192 on United's website.

using Celebrity's website, it's $100 less.

How can they offer it for cheaper?

Any catches?

Edited by fstuff1

9 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

8/27 cruise (9day aruba).

round trip from dc area to fort lauderdale (non stop) is $192 on United's website.

using Celebrity's website, it's $100 less.

How can they offer it for cheaper?

Any catches?

Celebrity is running a special now and many trips qualify for a $100 PP discount so that is probably why.

They're also part if a consortium that gives them the extra bargaining power to get the blocks cheaper. 

I haven't had that much luck getting bargains from CA for domestic flights, but have done very well on some international flights.

When I had been browsing I noticed the discounted fare on United allows one carry on and ZERO checked bags included.   If you are Elite or have baggage perks on your credit card it will help not  paying the baggage fee.    If I recall United charges between $25-50 per bag depending on when and how you pay for the extra luggage.   Online cheapest with $50 being if paying at airport.

image.png.461d89e894d96336836f1c33ea61e2dc.png

Edited by Jim_Iain

17 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

$100 off promo, doesn't matter if one way or round trip, same $100 off.

BONUS:  If discounted first class is important to you book AA or UA and buy upgrades on ebay:

image.thumb.png.a1cbf6e17c485f2ef05a793536d9a683.png

so i could have booked two 1way tickets and saved $200?

my flight is only 2 hrs so 1st class isnt that important.

now if im flying 6+ hrs, then i might consider it.

but how does the upgrade work? 

I know many don’t like Celebrity Air for various reasons, but I’ve used it at times and especailly for our One-Way flights. So many airlines have ridiculous one-way prices over to Europe, but Celebrity Air and another cruise line flight program have good pricing, and more flexibility.

den

• Like 1

What happens if Celebrity Air is booked and paid for by final payment but fare goes down?  No change in dates/flight, etc but lower fare by Celebrity Air?   They have told me they will not be ticketing until September 2, 2020 on our International flights, and "Flights by Celebrity" guarantees the lowest price..

Flights by Celebrity℠ gives you the best prices available on your flights. We guarantee it. Our Lowest Airfare Guarantee* means you get the best value in air travel – a benefit no other cruise line offers. So, there’s no need to jump from site to site comparing rates. And, if you book with us and find a lower fare, we’ll credit you 110% of the difference to spend onboard your cruise. Either way – you win. You get all this with absolutely no booking fee when you use Flights by Celebrity℠.

The flight must be available and the flight itinerary must be identical including airline, fare rules, flights, dates, and times. Lowest Airfare Guarantee applies only to the base fare of the flight without including any taxes and fees. .

According to this statement from the Celebrity website, we should get an onboard credit for 110% of the difference.....

Anybody had this happen?

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

so i could have booked two 1way tickets and saved $200?

my flight is only 2 hrs so 1st class isnt that important.

now if im flying 6+ hrs, then i might consider it.

but how does the upgrade work? 

No, $100 off per booking whether that's an one way or an round trip, only $100 off max.  You should do thorough research as both UA and AA have slight different rules then it can matter if you have airline status and/or an airline credit card.  The summary is, if there's availability, when using points/vouchers you have great odds of getting an upgrade.  You save hundreds or possibly thousands over retail but it isn't guaranteed, you may not get the upgrade until the day of departure and if folks buy out of the 1st/biz class at retail you wouldn't get upgraded on that flight but an "apply" the vouchers/points for another flight.  United does have the "skip the waitlist" option on some flights.

After doing my homework, I called Air2Sea to book a flight to HNL.  I asked why Air2Sea was about $25 more than booking direct with the airline.  The Air2Sea price was fully refundable, and didn't have to make payment until final cruise payment.  It was a no brainer to book with air2Sea. 

4 hours ago, bstoeck said:

What happens if Celebrity Air is booked and paid for by final payment but fare goes down?  No change in dates/flight, etc but lower fare by Celebrity Air?   They have told me they will not be ticketing until September 2, 2020 on our International flights, and "Flights by Celebrity" guarantees the lowest price..

Flights by Celebrity℠ gives you the best prices available on your flights. We guarantee it. Our Lowest Airfare Guarantee* means you get the best value in air travel – a benefit no other cruise line offers. So, there’s no need to jump from site to site comparing rates. And, if you book with us and find a lower fare, we’ll credit you 110% of the difference to spend onboard your cruise. Either way – you win. You get all this with absolutely no booking fee when you use Flights by Celebrity℠.

The flight must be available and the flight itinerary must be identical including airline, fare rules, flights, dates, and times. Lowest Airfare Guarantee applies only to the base fare of the flight without including any taxes and fees. .

According to this statement from the Celebrity website, we should get an onboard credit for 110% of the difference.....

Anybody had this happen?

I inquired about this and was told once payment is made, there is a $200 fee.  I said that’s not what they advertise, and the rep said that’s what he’s telling me now.  We had paid for our ticket in full.  

20 hours ago, M&JfromSDL said:

The issue with Celebrity Air is a.) they may be booking you in Basic Economy and b.) while the airline does not charge a fee to change or cancel flights, I believe CelebrityAir will.  

They are flying us on American Airlines.  I was hoping once I paid for the airline ticket, I could upgrade to a better seat.  Does the fare of basic economy allow me to upgrade by paying the difference to American Airlines?

20 hours ago, M&JfromSDL said:

The issue with Celebrity Air is a.) they may be booking you in Basic Economy and b.) while the airline does not charge a fee to change or cancel flights, I believe CelebrityAir will.  

My experience with CA is they book you in the seat category you select.  Sometimes I can get an assigned seat while booking, other times I have had to wait.

1 hour ago, Momma Rene said:

They are flying us on American Airlines.  I was hoping once I paid for the airline ticket, I could upgrade to a better seat.  Does the fare of basic economy allow me to upgrade by paying the difference to American Airlines?

You can upgrade to a better seat and pay American Airlines. We have done this in the past. I found that I couldn’t do seat assignments prior to final payment on American Airlines without going through Celebrity Air.

20 minutes ago, Auntiemomo said:

Sometimes when they book you on a non-U.S. carrier, you have to pay in full before they let you choose a seat.  

True enough.  Beware code shares.  An example:

Our experience has been that you can select a seat immediately with United on a United international flight, but not until final payment if that United flight is really a Lufthansa code share.

For example - book United DEN > IAD > FCO.  If that last leg is actually a Lufthansa code share flight out of IAD, you'll be waiting to book a real seat.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used air through Celebrity several times because you do not pay until final payment is due for your cruise & with COVID this has been helpful.  Make sure you book refundable airfare because if the price goes down before final payment you can cancel & rebook at the cheaper rate.  We have always been able to select seats after final payment is made & can pay for better seats. If you are flying any leg of your trip with a code share partner you could call the airline with your reservation confirmation #, get the confirmation # with the code share then go to their website and select your seat.  
Also, price the airfare you want online then call because sometimes one method is cheaper than the other.  I have found they are usually less through the website. One way flights to Europe have previously been less through Celebrity than the airlines.