Move Up? Or stay put?

hasentreelake

We have 2 upcoming cruises 🤞 ...
Late Sept on Summit and Thanksgiving on Silhouette.
Both S1 - we've always been CC or FV Aft on previous cruises and it fit us nicely.
Now we're trying the Suite life !       On Summit we have 6145 - an S1 that is connected to the PH suite. 
6145 - Very nice bigger Bath , but a 1 door size veranda window.   We're OK with the smaller 'door'  😞
Some here say - that a CS is not worth the ujgrade.
Would you bid on a  move up to CS vs.S1 6145 on Summit?

33 minutes ago, hasentreelake said:

Both S1 - we've always been CC or FV Aft on previous cruises and it fit us nicely.
Now we're trying the Suite life !       On Summit we have 6145 - an S1 that is connected to the PH suite. 
6145 - Very nice bigger Bath , but a 1 door size veranda window.   We're OK with the smaller 'door'  😞

Had the same cabin on Millie, would not recommend. Too dark and the bigger bath was not really worth it. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, hasentreelake said:

SS to CS, I MO, is not worth it.  Only diff is slightly larger cabin and maybe balcony, otherwise all other suite amenities are the same.  I’ve not done it, but going up to RS and above does take it to a new level, specialty restaurants include etc.

6145 and 6146 are our favorite cabins on the M Class ships. I would not bid for a move up to a Celebrity Suite. I confess we are booked in 6145 on the Millennium and did a really low move up bid to a Royal Suite. 

For us, it is all about the separate shower. 

We love the CS’s on the M class.  Yes the balcony is narrow and curved but the living area is huge, the closet/dressing room was a plus and a dining area with a real table for 4, love it.  Had a party for 12 in the suite, plenty of space for everyone to be seated if desired, bar area and table for finger food. 

• Like 1

Another vote for the Celebrity Suite here. We love the separate bedroom and the spacious living room. The closet is a gem with more space and better laid out with more drawer and hanging area  than  Royal Suite on M class. We were very happy with our Move Up on the Summit. 

• Like 1

We stayed in 6145 on Millie. It was just ok. I would not choose it again as it is not comparable to other Sky Suites IMHO The balcony had no shade whatsoever and the cabin seemed dark. It was roomy, but that was the only plus for us.Take the CS if the price is right. I usually prefer an S1 over CS because I do not like the windowless bedrooms.

Edited by sippican

I love 6145/6146 and my opinion would be to do a move up but only maybe $50 - $75 pp/pd more than the S1

On "S" class.   I'd keep the aft S1 any day over a CS.   RS on the other hand is a wonderful room but even with MoveUp you are probably going to have to spend double over the S1 which I wouldn't find worth it.  We prefer Luminae over most specialty dining so that amenity is not worth a ton to us.

We thought 6145 on the Summit was overrated.  The balcony door is heavy, doesn't stay open, and we like having a sliding balcony door a lot better.  People do love it, though.  We much prefer 6131 or 6132 with the large odd shaped balcony.

Anyway, YES ... we'd take the CS over the SS provided it's not crazy expensive and not under the pool deck.  We had friends stay in one while we were in a Sky Suite... It's definitely nicer and you'll earn +4 loyalty points per day too.

I tend to agree that 6145/46 are a bit overrated. The extra space is nice, though a lot of it is in the bathroom. There's also extra space on the veranda which is nice.

The cabin is just so dark though, and when inside, you're completely disconnected from the ocean view. I'm glad I sailed in one, but wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to book it again.

As far as the move-up, I personally don't place too much value in what a CS offers vs. a SS, so I wouldn't pay up for one.

• Like 2

We did move up from S1 to penthouse last month, it was great , loved everything but expensive. I have been in both sky and celebrity and royal, I would not move up to celebrity, royal suites are really great huge balcony with hot tub and same great perks as penthouse, our next celebrity cruise is another royal suite on the summit, same exact perks with sky and celebrity suites.

7 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Nope.  If you do a move up, you only get the points associated with your original booking.  Read the fine print.

It does say that. Nevertheless, we recently received the extra points. 

• Like 1

We sailed on the Millennium (same class ship as the Summit).  Our friends had the SS you are currently booked in (connected to the Penthouse) with the great bath but single door to the balcony  and we were in a Celebrity Suite.  No contest, we all hands down preferred the Celebrity Suite which is a wonderful space on the M class ship.   While our friends SS bath was wonderful and much better than our CS the darkness of their cabin was a complete turnoff from the moment we entered.   Our suite was booked with the intent that we would all gather there so it wasn’t a huge deal for our friends but otherwise would have been.    We would all prefer a standard SS over the one with a single door even though it has a great bath. 

41 minutes ago, sunpsyche said:

It does say that. Nevertheless, we recently received the extra points. 

Good on you for following up with this!  Sometimes posters here can be a bit too adamant when they should just…MTOB if they have nothing positive to offer.  “Nope” does not cut it for me.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Good on you for following up with this!  Sometimes posters here can be a bit too adamant when they should just…MTOB if they have nothing positive to offer.  “Nope” does not cut it for me.  Enjoy your cruise!

I was just reporting on the rules and my experience with a move up.  I thought that was what Cruise Critic was about.  Sorry my report didn't cut it for you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone that responded.

The responses varied from 6145 is a favorite cabin to it's a complete turnoff.
Similar range of responses to CS on M class ships.

I'll show this thread to my TA (who is also my DW) and let her make the decision to 
stay put - move to a different S1 - or try and do a move up to CS.

On 8/18/2021 at 9:39 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Well, you were lucky somebody screwed up.  I did a move up once and only received the points for the original booking.

Perhaps I was. I like to think it’s my charming personality. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sunpsyche said:

Perhaps I was. I like to think it’s my charming personality. 

And good on you!  I had something similar on a TA for May 2020, canceled of course, I was booked in SS, they added all included specialty dining, obviously was their error, but had the cruise happened they told me they would honor it…no such luck for my 2022 CS on Apex lol.

• Like 1

I upgraded from 6146 to a CS on two upcoming Summit cruises.  Bargain price solo. The only reservation I have with an M-class CS is the bathtub.  It really is absurdly treacherous to get in and out of, especially with a bum knee. That's why I try to get 6145/6 when I can.  Even with the dangerous tub, though, an M-class CS with its amazing windows and real dining table is my favorite. 

• Like 2